Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 109 of 238 < 1 2 ... 107 108 109 110 111 ... 237 238 >
Topic Options
#1825782 - 01/16/12 07:32 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
For Christmas 1982, a small UK record label called Cherry Red issued a fantastic sampler, Pillows and Prayers. The sampler cost 99p - in fact it had printing on the front that said "Pay no more than 99p" - and it was perhaps the best sampler ever issued by a record company, anywhere, ever.

The price meant lots and lots of people bought it. It was the indie chart number 1 for months. Along with things happening at Rough Trade and at ZTT, this was when indie really kicked off.

Here's one of the tracks, Eine Symphonie Des Grauens by The Monochrome Set.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1825784 - 01/16/12 07:41 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Featuring heavily on Pillows and Prayers was a certain Tracey Thorn (and a certain Ben Watt). Tracey features both as part of The Marine Girls (precursor of EBTG) and solo.

Here's another track from the sampler, Tracey singing Plain Sailing:

#1825786 - 01/16/12 07:45 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Here's the original cover of Pillows and Prayers, featuring the infamous "pay no more than 99p".

Edited by Eglantine (01/16/12 07:51 AM)

#1825837 - 01/16/12 10:20 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Today is a U.S. holiday to commemorate the life of Dr. Martin King. The Nobel Peace Prize recipient was assassinated in 1968 by bigotry, hate, and ignorance. Nina Simone wrote this song a few days after his death. I was a college student at the time. It is very hard to verbalize the pain I felt at that time. Fortunately, there is music and Nina to do it for me.

#1825840 - 01/16/12 10:28 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Good morning everyone. Ah a sad day indeed Griffin. He was a visionary. For Mr. Martin L. King:

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1825860 - 01/16/12 11:12 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: BeccaBb]
griffin2417 Offline

Becca, this is EXCELLENT! I certainly remember John Lennon's song from those days. It's very much a part of the vision and hope we felt at that time. Here is another song and artist who continues to inspire me, Joan Baez

We Shall Overcome

#1825872 - 01/16/12 11:28 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've never heard of her before. What a lovely voice. A very nice tune Griffin. I was born the decade afterwards but grew up with most of this style music never mind the teachings of peace and one people mindset. I feel very fortunate indeed for having been taught that. smile I'll post back later, I have a teacher interview. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1825879 - 01/16/12 11:41 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: BeccaBb]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: BeccaBb
I've never heard of her before. What a lovely voice. A very nice tune Griffin. I was born the decade afterwards but grew up with most of this style music never mind the teachings of peace and one people mindset. I feel very fortunate indeed for having been taught that. smile I'll post back later, I have a teacher interview. smile

That's what I love about this thread. We get to share our music with each other, and I learn a lot of new things, and I get to share the music that's important to me. I'll be around today. I'm preparing to have an old college friend over for dinner. I have lots to do!

Good luck with the teacher interview Becca!

#1825910 - 01/16/12 12:39 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Unfortunately I have got a really really bad headache, and will probably have to go and try and sleep it away. Been lucky really, its the first one I have had for years.
Anyways, without Joan baez, Bob dylans story would have been so different!!

later dudes and dudettes.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1825919 - 01/16/12 01:02 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Hi, all! I heard this old song in the store today. always liked the simple melody and words. I apologize if it's already been posted- I can't go back and read the previous 100 + pages of this thread smile

(hope this works!)

rossy, hope you feel better!

#1825959 - 01/16/12 02:26 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

I think this is amazing Piano Joy! I really like Rod Stewart. I had forgotten this song of his, which I'm guessing he wrote. It has not been played this thread before. However, it reminded me that Bob Dylan wrote another popular song called "Forever Young," which was also performed by Joan Baez. It is very different from Rod Stewart's song, however.

We seem to be going down Memory Lane for me. Here is Joan Baez performing that selection.

Back to house cleaning for me!

Edited by griffin2417 (01/16/12 04:58 PM)
Edit Reason: Clarifications

#1825960 - 01/16/12 02:30 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Unfortunately I have got a really really bad headache, and will probably have to go and try and sleep it away. Been lucky really, its the first one I have had for years.
Anyways, without Joan baez, Bob dylans story would have been so different!!

later dudes and dudettes.

Hi Rossy! I hope you feel better soon. I used to suffer from migraine headaches too. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with those for years. Take care of yourself Buddy!

Later!

#1825964 - 01/16/12 02:34 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Eglantine]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: Eglantine
Here's the original cover of Pillows and Prayers, featuring the infamous "pay no more than 99p".

Hi Eglantine! I keep saying I'm going to get back to housework and don't quite make it! I just wanted to let you know I enjoyed your postings this morning. Are you pretty much done with organizing your music collection?

#1826035 - 01/16/12 04:56 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well while we are down memory lane...... take some of dr. johns medicine... oh yes.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1826038 - 01/16/12 04:59 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Well while we are down memory lane...... take some of dr. johns medicine... oh yes.

haven't heard it before, but love it!

#1826060 - 01/16/12 05:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Holy man I haven't heard this in years! Nice pic Rossy! Hope your headache is better!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1826062 - 01/16/12 05:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Good one Rossy! thumb Hope you are feeling better.

I have a little time before our guest arrives. I'm going to squeeze in a little piano practice.

Later

#1826099 - 01/16/12 06:23 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks dudes and dudettes, well a couple of paracetamol and two hours sleep saw that one off thank goodness.

Here is somemore of the good doctor, you will not find this version in ALFREDS!!!! lol. I believe folk get bored with "when the saints come marching in"

They should listen to dr.johns New orleans version...

#1826108 - 01/16/12 06:32 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

here is an excellent blast from the past...
Sweetwater, and here is one they played at woodstock...

The most excellent "Motherless child" enjoy..

#1826117 - 01/16/12 06:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
Glad the head is better Rossy. I had a whopper of a headache this morning but it was my own fault. I went sledding and found out that rolling over and over on your head down the bottom of the ice packed hill because your child conned you into using the cruddy sled will trigger a migraine. Who would have guessed...If only my husband hadn't turned off the camera, I bet it was quite an impressive sight from eveyone elses' vantage point.

In honor of the greater Cleveland area's first significant snow of the season (late, but I'm certainly not going to complain)and the trusty old station wagon we drove to the sledding hill I offer "Rusty Cheverolet".

#1826118 - 01/16/12 06:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And my third and final post tonight...

Jefferson playing on the roof in 1968 .......

#1826127 - 01/16/12 07:24 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

I'm waiting for my guest to arrive, and will hear all of these enticing posts later. I'm sure it will be much more pleasant to listen to than what I just forced myself to listen to. I just got through listening to my first practice recording and run through of Clair de Lune. YUK!! Yeah, I know it's like that in the early stages. However, it feels like taking nasty medicine that I created! laugh The learning process is sure strange!

Later folks!

Edited by griffin2417 (01/16/12 10:40 PM)
Edit Reason: typos

#1826230 - 01/16/12 11:46 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I notice a theme with all this Rod Stewart music.

#1826293 - 01/17/12 03:28 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: polyphasicpianist]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: polyphasicpianist
I notice a theme with all this Rod Stewart music.

I was a big fan of early Rod Stewart. I first saw him in Steam Packet. I bought Truth and Beck Ola when I was a young lad and listen to them still.

#1826375 - 01/17/12 09:14 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi folks I won't have time to post for a few days. I'll be lurking, however. I've decided to put some additional time on my piano practice. It's feeling like some breakthrough might be coming, and I need to go with it!

Later!

#1826393 - 01/17/12 09:52 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Griffin, I'm almost finished with the music organisation, but the current decorating works in the office will allow some new CD shelving, so who knows!

Thanks for the Martin Luther King.

Following my earlier theme of label samplers, another great sampler from the early 80s was ZTT: Zang Tuum Tumb Sampled:

LP: IQ 6
Cassette: IQ C 6

Art of Noise: Closing
Frankie Goes To Hollywood: Disneyland
Propaganda: Femme Fatale
Anne Pigalle: Intermission (The Gods are Bored)
Instinct: Swamp Out
Art of Noise: Egypt
Andrew Poppy: The Object Is A Hungry Wolf (Extract 1)
Propaganda: p:Machinery (Beta)
Anne Pigalle: Looking For Love (Demo)
Art of Noise: A Time For Fear (Who's Afraid)
Frankie Goes To Hollywood: Born To Run (Live)
Andrew Poppy: The Object Is A Hungry Wolf (Extract 2)

I still have the cassette.

Here's one track, p:Machinery from the German band Propaganda:

...just proving that Germany in the 80s could produce truly marvellous pop. Nobody should be without Propaganda's album A Secret Wish.

Every other track on ZTT Sampled is also excellent. Art of Noise were highly influential in their use of sampling (in the days when sampling a second of sound cost an arm and a leg).

#1826503 - 01/17/12 01:19 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The Art of noise were excellent Eglantine and I do remember them well, I also seem to remember Propaganda P machinery, funnily enough by the girls outfit and the marionette video.

I am now wondering just what you may have on the 4AD label????? And Mute label of course??
Tell me your secrets!!!

#1826542 - 01/17/12 02:06 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

4AD: Belly, The Breeders, Harold Budd, Cocteau Twins, Tanya Donelly, Lisa Germano, Kristin Hersh, Lush, Pixies, The The, Thievery Corporation, Throwing Muses, Unrest, Scott Walker...

Then there's Too Pure (PJ Harvey, Steroelab, Seelfeel), Sarah Records (Heavenly, The Field Mice), Creation...

All kinds of oddments: double 10" vinyl from Seelfeel, for example. Vinyl from Bristol band Flying Saucer Attack (Distance) which looks like it's own-label. A pile of Spanish indie stuff from the 90s.

But one of the biggest piles is Ninja Tune.

#1826555 - 01/17/12 02:32 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I want to hug your collection Eglantine, in fact I want to sort of put it all in a duvet and sleep under the duvet of musical greatness for a week or so. Amazing what a collector!!!

#1826644 - 01/17/12 05:13 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

DUDes and DUDettes, I just realised something in my mind...

we havent had any jesus and mary chain!!!! what on earth are we doing?

Rectification.... April skies..

Page 109 of 238 < 1 2 ... 107 108 109 110 111 ... 237 238 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (AndresD, ando, AndrewJCW, 36251, angga888, Abby Pianoman, 32 invisible), 1562 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156222 Topics
2294324 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
23 minutes 31 seconds ago
BALDWIN R vs. STEINWAY M
by Karl Watson
Today at 08:11 AM
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
Today at 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission