Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 173 of 236 < 1 2 ... 171 172 173 174 175 ... 235 236 >
Topic Options
#1911928 - 06/11/12 02:11 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: vegasE]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Rossy, that was beautiful duet playing and I noted how very relaxed Beric's hands appeared, tickling the keys.
Thanks for sharing.

vegasE, I nominate you PW's #1 Prince fan and Griffin is Kool's #1 fan.

Off to cook and clean!

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1911987 - 06/11/12 04:49 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: piano joy]
Dipsy Offline

Hi Piano Joy - I'm glad you liked the duet. Every few months when I visit Beric (my dad) we play duets. It doesn't especially matter to me whether what we're playing is technically right, or sounds good. For me, playing duets has become the best way I know to make a connection with my Dad, and for years now I've had enormous fun and joy from doing this, which is wonderful.

As for dad's relaxed hands - I've envied him this for a while - since I started having lessons towards the end of last year. Being videod has shown up my stiff- looking hands - and taught me something!

#1911994 - 06/11/12 05:13 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Dipsy]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Ooops, that's not what I meant to imply (about your hands!).

I think you should ask Rossy to take more videos -and pictures- of the two of you (meaning your Dad+ you) playing together. Someday, you will TREASURE having them and what lovely memories you are creating for yourself!

Edited by piano joy (06/11/12 05:19 PM)

#1912052 - 06/11/12 07:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Dipsy, that was an awesome video. It made me walk over my piano and start playing around a mozart's duet that I should be working on now in case we have a piano party here in AZ this summer... AZ is Arizona by the way..
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#1912061 - 06/11/12 08:00 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Dipsy]
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Dipsy, that was a delightful duet of your Dad and you! You both sound so accomplished and seem to be having a ton of fun as well. smile

My Dad just turned 88 and never played much (except for two songs - "Fascination" and "Love Makes the World Go Round"), and he never sang either except when I recently played "Chattanooga Choo-Choo", he astonished me by singing along all the words from beginning to end by memory (something I could never do).. I said we'll have to get an act together and hit the road. lol! grin

Looking forward to more of your duets! thumb

Edited by Elssa (06/11/12 08:13 PM)

#1912063 - 06/11/12 08:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Piano joy - I think it would be a great idea to have a record of other duets with dad, and I know I would treasure them. 'My cameraman' would have to be willing of course! Next time I might be in a better state of dress!

Hiya farmgirl - I'm glad you went to your piano to play some of a mozart duet in case you have a piano party, though having a go maybe worthwhile whether or not that happens. I've never heard of a piano party, but it sounds really good. How does it wol have to compete for a go at a single piano?

Do you any of you know if there is a way of playing a duet with someone online whilst maintaining a decent quality of sound and without any problems of the music being out of sync? The only thing I can think of is skype but I'm not sure if this would work well enough.

Hi Elssa - I expect you really value the moment you shared that song with your dad. It seems a shame that most people dont seem to do much humble music making at home nowadays.

Edited by Dipsy (06/11/12 08:19 PM)

#1912075 - 06/11/12 08:45 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
piRround Offline

Loc: Yarmouth, Maine
Dipsey, that was just wonderful. You are lucky to have a parent who is musically inclined and willing to teach too! I'm the only one in my family who plays anything and my family has no interest at all in even listening to me — never mind playing along. Keep it up with your Dad!

#1912085 - 06/11/12 09:35 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Hi Sandy - I've been lucky to have had music around the house as I was growing up, and I think its such a shame that you don't have folk around you to share your music with. But hey! i guess that's what we're here on piano world for! So there are plenty of people around you and your music- making in spirit.

#1912092 - 06/11/12 10:12 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: piRround]
vegasE Offline

Loc: Sydney, AU
Dipsey, nice stuff there. Definitely something to enjoy and cherish. Last time I was able to enjoy a duet was many many years ago (I'm not that old smile ) a close friend and I were working on Schubert's Fantasia- I should dig it out.
I am tryin to expose my 5yo and 2.5yo to as much piano as possible, maybe 1 (or both laugh ) will take to it.

Growing up my fam was also non-musical but one of my fondest memories is having my dad walk into the room, Scotch in hand, and sit down to listen to me play/practice. And this is from someone who (as some people here may be able to relate to) worked 99% of the time....brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye.

Agree with others here.....record some more.

Edited by vegasE (06/11/12 10:14 PM)

#1912154 - 06/12/12 02:14 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rupak Bhattacharya]
vegasE Offline

Sorry for the double posting.....

Just remembered your post of Hiromi Uehara.
She really is an amazing pianist and performer...

Check out her duet with Chick Corea for some hot steamy piano playing. Probably illeagal in some places.

#1912174 - 06/12/12 03:41 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
I loved your video, Dipsy. I’ve found it very inspiring to improve seriously my poor sight-reading. I know you have had to do a lot of work to reach such level, but it’s worth it clearly. I’m looking forward to seeing more videos of you and your dad playing duets wink.

My website

#1912225 - 06/12/12 07:30 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I really enjoyed listening to your video Dipsy. What a skill to be able to sight read at that level! Also, how wonderful to be able to enjoy the piano with your Dad! It's very inspiring. Thanks for sharing it!

Edited by griffin2417 (06/12/12 07:31 AM)

#1912512 - 06/12/12 08:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
Dipsy Offline

Hiya vegasE, recaredo and griffin - thanks for your nice comments about the duet (though it wasn't pure sightreading. just never rehearsed). I'll try to get Rossy to video more duets when the opportunity arises.

I've always had the support of my dad for anything I've done involving music and as I know that not everyone has this, I think I should be grateful.

we've been listening to Lady Gaga - a first for me. All I knew of her was that she had unusual dress sense and wore a dress made of bacon once. She seemed to have a good voice - good range, and versatilty so I've decided not to criticise her.

#1912524 - 06/12/12 09:38 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Dipsy]
vegasE Offline

Originally Posted By: Dipsy
we've been listening to Lady Gaga - a first for me. All I knew of her was that she had unusual dress sense and wore a dress made of bacon once. She seemed to have a good voice - good range, and versatilty so I've decided not to criticise her.
I wouldn't hold it against you if you did decide to criticise her grin

#1913195 - 06/14/12 12:33 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Dipsy]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dipsy

I just bought the album "Born this way" last week to see if all the GaGa hype and GaGa trashing frequently thrown about in the media is actually warranted. And my assessment is that this album is straight-up awesome. Not only does it sound great but it is lyrically, by the standards of pop music at any rate, quite intelligent. Almost every track is infused with a calculated subversion of religious themes, and I can now see why theologians across the world have taken such offense to it - to say nothing of the fact that it is a woman who is generating this subversion.

For instance, us westerners might roll our eyes at rhyming "hair" with "prayer," but, to other non-secular nations and cultures, the idea of a woman's hair and the act of prayer have very real significance. Imagine what it must be like to be a girl from a migrant Iranian or Somali family hearing rebellious lyrics like this:

This isn't just mindlessly provocative music, the likes of which we see from boobs like Madonna - there is real substance here (I think).

Wayne knew what he was doing when he went GaGa.

#1913304 - 06/14/12 06:31 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Polyphasicpianist, I almost hate to admit this, but after watching a whole concert on youtube the other night, I totally agree, for instance, here is gaga doing a jazz number, AND YOU GUYS KNOW I HATE JAZZ!!!

I shouted that to make the point that even though I hate jazz, I can still see gaga doing this number well.
In the same concert she then did three solo piano numbers, which showed her skill and versatility, because again they were in a different style to both this jazz AND the dance numbers.

I think everyone should see this clip before making any judgment calls on the LAdy.

Gaga for all the hype and media garbage is certainly a talented performer who is both interesting and has an awfull lot to offer as well, Wayne was correct indeed, he was/is right.

A ticket for one of her concerts in my opinion would be money extremely well spent, you would be entertained in a pleasent way, and like polyphasic pianist says, Her lyrics will give you food for thought as well, and as the Americans say, you will get a lot of bang for your bucks.

Edited by Rostosky (06/14/12 06:32 AM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1913950 - 06/15/12 10:49 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Hi folks - thought you might like some Jeff Buckley

#1914250 - 06/15/12 07:29 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Good evening everybody!

I wanted to propose some music by Dvorak again. I never get tired to listen to his piano quintet Op. 81; the beauty of its melodies is fascinating. As always I encourage listening to the whole work, but here we can listen to the second movement “Dumka”.

I hope you like it.

My website

#1914651 - 06/16/12 06:33 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi Everyone! I'm sorry I've not been able to post this week. I am into an extremly busy time for the next few weeks at work. We have a couple of major events I am involved with. However, I will definitely be doing my regular Sunday classical postings, and I'm looking forward to getting some quiet time to listen your postings tonight. I hope you all are doing well. Rupak, I know you've been busy too. I do hope you will be able to post some more ICM, even if you may not be able to today.

Dipsy, I liked Jeff Buckley, though I havn't listend to him before. As for the Lady Gaga postings, I am going to listen to them a bit later. I've listened to some of the postings by Wayne of Gaga, and some postings from the PC forum. Frankly, I was impressed with her talent.

I must be off to catch up on a little housework before it gets too far out of control. I hope to check in at least one more time tonight.

Later!

#1914763 - 06/17/12 02:22 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I can't actually stand this peice, but it is not too often you hear Gould playing this sort of thing so I thought I would post it.

These on the other hand, I love . . .

#1914793 - 06/17/12 07:05 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
PPP what actually is a peice? lol. ( Thought wayne was back for a moment!)
Griffin, again, you are working much too hard and this must stop, you are not devoting enough time here!

Today, is a boring Sunday here in the UK.

Please dont suggest reading a book, the last time I tried reading a book was james joyces ullyses and it was shite. There was no punctuation in it. Allthough grammer and spelling does not normally put me off, if a book or post makes no sense at all then I lose the will to live quite easily and Joyce absolutely nailed it in that respect.

I am not a good reader, I get much too bored very quickly and would much rather indulge in pleasures of the flesh. Also, I am better at answering questions on pleasures of the flesh than I am at answering questions on books, I have difficulty remembering authors names, whereas I dont struggle so much with words like Mayfair, or Rustler, and there are most pleasent pictures in those publications, there are no pictures in ullyses at all, not even pictures of readers wives, Joyce must have been too poor to afford a camera,probably because he didnt sell too many books because of the lack of punctuation I guess.

Sunday allways reminds me of religeous things like biblical things, and thats why Sunday allways reminds me of "pleasures of the flesh" because thats in the bible.

Unfortunately, it says dont indulge in them, which falls on deaf ears as far as I am concerned.

fortunately, it also says in the Bible in no uncertain terms " go forth and multiply" why means one of two things:

Thing one: "F*** off." this is a highly unlikely interpretation of "go forth and multiply" but is possible if the divine was angry at someone like noah again or job or another dude who didnt do exactly as he was told whilst being tested to the max.

Thing two: ( much more likely) "go and indulge in pleasures of the flesh" highly likely and excellent sunday advice from the good book, also, with no puctuation issues as in Joyce.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1914827 - 06/17/12 08:49 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Greetings, Sunday music lovers.

Forgive the sentiment but I first fell in love with this tune when I played it on the recorder as a young boy at school from a little book called Time and Tune - a title which recalls the two most important features of music - as part of the BBC's Music for Schools programme in the early sixties. This is a very moving rendition, though not traditional.

Bizet's Entr'acte shares melodic features with The Minstrel Boy and is similarly emotional but these two performances evoke quite different passions.

#1914842 - 06/17/12 09:38 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Good morning everyone! I've been looking forward to this day. It's the only day I'll probably have time to post this week.

Richard, I enjoyed your second posting. However, I was unable to see your first posting of the Minstrel Boy because my iPad doesn't want me to view it. I'll see it later on my desktop. I just heard a lovely rendition of it performed by John McDermott.

PPP, it's always interesting to see Gould's performances. The Debussy piece reminds me of the ongoing struggle I'm having with bringing Claire de Lune to performance level. I think patience is my greatest challenge with it, however. smile

Rossy, I'd love to spend more time on this thread. however, there is this strong competing interest -- the need to earn a paycheck! laugh Of course that could change if a patron of great wealth would come forward and hand me a check for 1 million dollars! I wont hold my breath for that to happen. LOL

Recaredo, I loved your Dvorak posting. It motivated me to explore some more of his compositions, and I'll be posting one today. Speaking of Sunday postings... I'll be back with my Sunday classical posts!

#1914844 - 06/17/12 09:44 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

My first posting for today is the "Concerto No. 3 for Clarinet in D (Allegro)" by Johann Molter. It is performed by Finnish clarinetist, Kari Kriikku.

#1914852 - 06/17/12 10:11 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

I don't believe I've ever posted any performances by American soprano, Barbara Hendricks. Here is a wonderful introduction if you are not familiar with this gifted soprano. Here is her performance of Giuseppe Verdi's Falstaff: "Sul fil d'un soffio etesio"

#1914860 - 06/17/12 10:33 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

Recaredo had a strong influence on my next music choice when he encouraged us to explore more of the works of Anton Dvorak. I fell in love with this moving performance of "Slavonic Dance in E Minor, Opus 72, No. 2 and the lively Slavonic Dance in C Major, Opus 72, No 7" by violin virtuoso Itzhak Perlman and master cellist Yo Yo Ma.

#1914865 - 06/17/12 10:45 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

I've long been intrigued by the third movement of Tchaikovsky's "Piano Concerto No.1 In B Flat Minor, Op.23," and here it is!

#1914870 - 06/17/12 10:51 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

My final post for today is an African American spiritual performed by Barbara Hendricks, "Hold On".

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

#1914899 - 06/17/12 12:26 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Fantastic Sunday posts, Griffin. I’ve found two marvellous discoveries in them: the composer Johann Molter and the soprano Barbara Hendricks. I hope you can post more about this singer, I loved her voice so much like Leontyne Price’s. And good Dvorak’s selection wink

My website

#1914904 - 06/17/12 12:33 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
Dipsy Offline

I agree with you Recaredo - many thanks Griffin for being so busy showing us new music. I'd never heard of Molter before and found the extract v uplifting. The Dvorak was also wonderfully expressive, without being syrupy.

Richard - I liked the Bizet - very smooth and recognised the similarity with the Minstrel Boy (a song my ex husband was attached to as part of his scottish heritage).

Griffin - are you familiar with the spirituals in Tippett's 'A child of our time'? - Deep river, go down moses, etc. I've tried to find a decent clip on youtube to show you, but am still looking. You may like it.
Helen

Page 173 of 236 < 1 2 ... 171 172 173 174 175 ... 235 236 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (bennevis, alfredo capurso, ASLevelMusicTheory, beet31425, briansaddleback, carey, 13 invisible), 1105 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251535 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission