Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 174 of 238 < 1 2 ... 172 173 174 175 176 ... 237 238 >
Topic Options
#1915286 - 06/18/12 01:42 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Dipsy]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Greetings everyone! I am glad you enjoyed the Sunday postings Helen and Recaerdo. Helen, I'm not familiar with Tippet. However, I'd definitely be interested in learning more if you are able to post something. I won't have time to do postings this week. However, I do have one posting for today that Recaredo might particularly enjoy. I will present more information about Barbara Hendricks in the future.

I had an over abundance of Barbara Hendricks performances yesterday, and didn't present them all. However, I have time today for this one posting in which she sings "Der Wegweiser, Winterreise, D. 911" by Franz Schubert.

Enjoy the rest of your day! While it's unlikely I'll have time to post music during the week, I will be checking in throughout the week. Off I go!

Edited by griffin2417 (06/19/12 07:31 AM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1915317 - 06/18/12 03:24 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
Finally...my exam's been finished yesterday (Sunday). It was really a busy week for me. And, consequently, I'm in the middle of a sea of musics here smile I'm trying to catch up slowly. Firstly, I must convey my sincere thanks to Dipsy and, of course Rossy, for sharing some marvelous and rare moments of father-daughter duet piano performance! Your dad is really amazing, Dipsy. I just can't believe how he can maintain such tremendous flexibility at the age of 88!!! And, surely you gave a brilliant and perfect accompany to him, Dipsy. Indeed, it was a humble experience for me to watch your video. I'll be looking forward to more such videos with both of you together, and I pray to God for Beric's long life.

As usual, Griffin deserves a huge lot of thanks for his gorgeous Sunday classical selections. I could only finish Johann Molter and Barbara Hendrick today. Needless to say, they are just awesome. Barbara Hendrick has an incredible voice, I'll look forward to your notes on her.

Originally Posted By: Griffin
Rupak, I know you've been busy too. I do hope you will be able to post some more ICM, even if you may not be able to today.

I was really wondering about our mental connection smile I thought quite early that I might have to post ICM on Monday or Tuesday this week, as I really didn't get time to post on Saturday! Anyway, I've some time today to post some ICM. I've selected another instrument used these days in ICM. Surprisingly, it's one of the most popular instruments all over the world - the acoustic Guitar. Of course, there are several modifications in the guitar used in ICM. The modifications were done by maestro Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt who first introduced the use of acoustic guitar in ICM. This modified guitar is known as Mohan Veena (this name is derived from his name). Here is a great compilation of his performances of various ragas. There are two complete performances on ragas Desh and Megh Malhar and some short compositions.

#1915351 - 06/18/12 04:45 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Wow, that voice singing the Winterreise, it’s truly touching. Thanks for this gift, Griffin.

My website

#1915357 - 06/18/12 05:14 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rupak, I’m really enjoying these ragas. It’s impressive to listen to this huge amount of musical variations.

My website

#1915702 - 06/19/12 11:48 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
This thread just goes from strength to strength thanks Rupak, recaredo, Griffin, PPP, becca B, AimeeO,vegas, etc.. excellent. Not much time today, but great work dudes and dudettes.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1915977 - 06/19/12 10:48 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

After reading that Jimmy Page thread on the Pianist Corner I couldn't resist posting some Jimmy Page. FYI: this video gets pretty damn strange at certain points.

#1916116 - 06/20/12 08:20 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rupak Bhattacharya]
Dipsy Offline

I'm glad you liked the duet Rupak - and so is dad (Beric). He is now interested to read people's comments for himself on pianoworld, which will be a new experience for him.

The ragastransported me to another place - thanks for sharing that.

Griffin - I hope to be able to post Tippett's music soon (with Rossy's help)

#1916136 - 06/20/12 09:03 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Excellent Page/Coverdale post, PPP. Love that guitar - why did they never catch on?

Originally Posted By: Dipsy
The ragas transported me to another place - thanks for sharing that.

I could have walked there and back before I realised how long it was going on! Thanks, Rupak.

Here's a wonderful little snippet from the Les Paul Tribute performance.

#1916137 - 06/20/12 09:04 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

hi folks,
Here as promised (thanks to Rossy) is the first of the spirituals extracted from Tippett's 'A child of our time'. This one is called 'Nobody Knows (the trouble I see....)..'

the oratorio is based on the true story of a young man who 'snapped' and tried to kill a nazi official during WW2. Enjoy. More later.

#1916143 - 06/20/12 09:15 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Hi again! This second extract represents the resentment of the persecuted Jews in WW2. More later.

#1916336 - 06/20/12 04:48 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What a powerful and emotive music, Helen! Thanks for your explanations about this oratorio. I’m looking forward to listening to more extracts.

My website

#1916412 - 06/20/12 07:49 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
vegasE Offline

Loc: Sydney, AU
Lots to listen to above - even *gasp* the lady that calls herself Gaga (I may have more to say about her later).

However, we just passed (as of a few minutes ago) the winter solstice over here. This weekend we are off to the mountains for the annual Winter Magic Festival. Temperatures are predicted to reach the freezing depths of 10deg (cel) and maybe even 8deg. I know...cold hey wink. A festival full of pagans and hippies that will probably end in a Christian sacrifice (most likely a Catholic, so i will be keeping a low profile cool ). If I'm not back next week, you will know why.

Dressing up is the order of the day, and i wasn't sure if it was inappropriate to wear my Papal Costume that i keep in the bottom of my wardrobe.

Anyway, enjoy The Tea Party (the Canadian band).

#1916484 - 06/20/12 11:59 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: vegasE]
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Enjoying all the wonderful posts here. smile

Well, it's summer here now, supposed to be close to 100 in NY tomorrow/today.

Summer in the City

#1916522 - 06/21/12 02:15 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Elssa]
1000 Post Club Member

LOL.

#1916527 - 06/21/12 02:42 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: polyphasicpianist]
vegasE Offline

Loc: Sydney, AU
LOL indeed, PPP.

"this is rock and roll"

#1916604 - 06/21/12 07:57 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It may be rock n roll, but not as we know it! ( or want it, should I say) can you imagine if there was no such thing as drum kits or drummers and the only thing was this keyboard? The stuff of nightmares indeed.

The dude was genuinly enjoying himself though.. however misguided he may be..

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1916802 - 06/21/12 03:11 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
KeemaNan Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
can you imagine if there was no such thing as drum kits or drummers ...?

Yes, I can imagine that, and what a wonderful world that would be! Of course, it's too late now, because the awful racket they make is on a million recordings and (worse) samples. But what if they had never been ? Just think - you'd be able live life without being assaulted by the continual ambient thud..thud..thud.., the moronic 4/4 boom..chick..boom..chick.., or worst of all, the tsk..tsk..tsk.. of hi-hats leaking out of those awful white earbuds. Ah, bliss !

#1916851 - 06/21/12 05:08 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: KeemaNan]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KeemaNan

Yes, I can imagine that, and what a wonderful world that would be! Of course, it's too late now, because the awful racket they make is on a million recordings and (worse) samples. But what if they had never been ? Just think - you'd be able live life without being assaulted by the continual ambient thud..thud..thud.., the moronic 4/4 boom..chick..boom..chick.., or worst of all, the tsk..tsk..tsk.. of hi-hats leaking out of those awful white earbuds. Ah, bliss !

Obviously you too have no legs to dance with, my condolences on your loss. Do you get over 40k per annum benefits, someone did but they got ousted off this thread a while back for being annoying.

I still am not sure if they had legs or not, but if they didnt they probably had a good case for not liking dance music/beats.

one could say in hindsight; "no more waltzing matilda for them" (pogues version, where to dance with matilda or any other girl, being a nono-ped is undesirable.)

anyways, some steve moore drumming to amuse and entertain you...

Edited by Rostosky (06/21/12 05:15 PM)
Edit Reason: FORGOT TO MENTION THAT DRUMMING HAS BEEN WITH MAN SINCE THE DAWN OFF TIME AND PROBABLY THE OLDEST FORM OF MUSIC MAKING!

#1916991 - 06/21/12 11:13 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: KeemaNan]
1000 Post Club Member

Thus, your argument is proved to be logically invalid.

#1917123 - 06/22/12 08:38 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
KeemaNan Offline

It was a rhetorical question that didn't need answering, and I thought I would play Devil's Advocate, but maybe I overstated my case a little for effect.

It's interesting that you mention dance music Rostosky, because I think that dance music can live quite happily without percussion, especially the western pop/rock bloke-at-the-back-hammering-out-the-rhythm style of percussion. A good example would be tango - the traditional tango band does not have a drummer, and manages to play compelling dance music of great sophistication in which the rhythm is brought out by accents and articulation on the bandoneon in particular. Baroque dance suites are another example.

It's purely a matter of taste, but I find myself increasingly drawn to music where the rhythmic component is brought out of the music, rather than hammered out by a drummer. Often the rhythmic component is so strong that a drum track is an annoyance - it's 'stating the obvious'. A good example is boogie-woogie piano, in its purest form a tour-de-force of joyous driving rhythmic music; when a drummer lamely boom-chicks along it totally ruins the effect for me. I think I've been sent along this route by the total ubiquity of musical noise pollution in the urban envrionment; the thing that intrudes on ones consciousness the most is always the drum track. Maybe if I lived in the countryside things would be different, but at the end of a long day in the urban jungle with its incessant 4/4 beat, it's the last thing I want to hear when I have a choice in the matter.

As I say, it's all a matter of taste. I am certainly not attempting to troll, like the 40k p.a. benefits chap.

#1917130 - 06/22/12 08:51 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

No worries, I was teasing about the lack of legs thing!! just the thought that anyone who couldnt dance hated drummers and all! No disrespect intended.

I do actually agree with you in that not all music needs or should have an incessent one two three four hammered out in a synthetic and repetative way, indeed a lot of otherwise good music is spoiled in my opinion by the addition of the above.

Off hand, right now I cant bring to mind... oooh yes I can.. I can bring to mind an absolutely horrible use of four four drumming in a horrible boring repetative way....

Here is an example of this type of drumming that I hate

#1917136 - 06/22/12 09:02 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
KeemaNan Offline

Yes, "Money for Nothing" is an excellent example of an obtrusive and unneccessarily lame drum track !

#1917142 - 06/22/12 09:12 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

ah friends again!! I must be carefull about teasing folk in future!!!

#1917167 - 06/22/12 10:43 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

As you know Liszt composed the Hungarian rhapsodies for piano originally, but the composer also orchestrated these works. I have been lucky, and I’ve found my favourite rhapsody (No 2) conducted by Karajan on Youtube.

My website

#1917568 - 06/23/12 01:08 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: KeemaNan]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
... the total ubiquity of musical noise pollution in the urban envrionment; the thing that intrudes on ones consciousness the most is always the drum track. ... incessant 4/4 beat, it's the last thing I want to hear when I have a choice in the matter...

I'm increasingly feeling the same.

I have two neighbours who play this stuff all the time. All I can hear is thud, thud, thud, thud. It's so distracting.

BTW Who was responsible/the originating producer who brought the bass drum and snare so up in the mix in the first place?

#1917583 - 06/23/12 01:44 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Imelda May - Have seen her a few times on Jools Holland's show. The other clip led me on to this one. One of my favourite guitar players (I still listen to Truth all the time) and Imelda - who I always enjoy.

#1917585 - 06/23/12 01:51 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Summer in the city - a great song and an influential one. You hear echoes of it in many other songs.

There's something about the way John Sebastian constructs melody (ie. he knows how to write a catchy tune). He does it again with this one (nb 22-30 secs).

#1917767 - 06/23/12 03:05 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Newman]
1000 Post Club Member

The moral of the story: Duck's are cheeky little [censored].

#1917841 - 06/23/12 08:02 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Starr Keys Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Here's one from a former teen idol--one of the rare ones with enough talent and musical integrity to survive the pretty boy image (despite the personal costs also apparent in this video).

#1917871 - 06/23/12 10:48 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Starr Keys]
1000 Post Club Member

I just finished watching the whole second season of "Todd and the Book of Pure Evil" and I just had to post this, it is simply priceless.

I'd like to provide you guys with a larger context, but I simply wouldn't know where to begin. All you need to know is that this guy is a high school guidance counselor who has, in addition to developing Freudian-esk daddy issues, inherited the title of Supreme Leader to a cult of elderly and mutinous Satan worshippers by the murder of their former leader, who was his father and is now the decomposing disembodied head that you see resting on the top of the piano. A head which, due to this character's neurosis, is schizophrenically imbued with the voice of his late father.

This song is a tear jerker so I hope you have a tissue ready.

Page 174 of 238 < 1 2 ... 172 173 174 175 176 ... 237 238 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
163 registered (alans, Alex-SapRenovation, 36251, accordeur, 47 invisible), 1703 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156253 Topics
2294756 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Around The World
by karmanathan
07/29/14 11:55 AM
Brahms
by mellifluous
07/29/14 11:04 AM
The process of shopping / buying a new piano
by Eric5238
07/29/14 10:53 AM
Viennese vs sustain vs DOA tuned unisons and temperament
by gynnis
07/29/14 10:35 AM
casinitaly! Many happy returns of the day!
by malkin
07/29/14 08:30 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission