Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 51 of 239 < 1 2 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 238 239 >
Topic Options
#1758479 - 09/24/11 01:54 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Evening all, well finished my two lady gaga songs today smile

Next I'm gonna have a go at this............

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1758481 - 09/24/11 01:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

That is wonderful news about Leonard Cohen's award in Spain, Recaredo. He is so deserving!

Since I have to work part of today, I'm not sure I'll be posting. I'm hoping to get time for a few. However, I will definitely do my Sunday classical postings!

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday everyone!

#1758483 - 09/24/11 01:59 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi Wayne! We must have posted at the same time. I'm glad the work on the two Lady Gaga songs are done. Cheers!

I'll look forward to hearing your post a little later. Right now, I'm off to work for a short project!

#1758538 - 09/24/11 04:46 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Afternoon everyone! My project is done, and I have time to do a few postings today. I've been wanting to hear some Andean music, and my favorite Andean group, Rumillajta. I learned that the group disbanded in 2001. However, they leave a treasure trove of great music.

Here is "LEÑO VERDE."

#1758539 - 09/24/11 04:52 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

This will be my last post for today. Here is one more by Rumillajta, "Machu Picchu." Enjoy!

#1758597 - 09/24/11 07:20 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
cubop Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Loc: Norway
Thanks griffin, fantastic music you posted here. I have listened to Andean music for many years, and play a little myself. Rostosky posted the finest piece of Andean music I have ever heard a while ago, Flight of the Condor. There is no info on Youtube about the group, and I would like very much to have more of that music, if anyone has some info.
Rumillajta is one of the finest groups I have heard, and I see there are more videos on Youtube,

#1758631 - 09/24/11 08:16 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Cubop, I am pleased that you enjoyed the music of Rumillajta. I had the pleasure of hearing them live in a concert here in the 1990s. I loved everything they performed. I've purchased some of their CDs.

Rumillajta (pronounced roo-me-yach-ta) is a Bolivian musical quintet that played at festivals on three continents, according to Wikipedia. They formed in 1980 and became one of the most important progenitors of Andean music. The name means "city of stone" in Quechua. Their music concerns folk themes and nature as well as more political themes like coca, foreign exploitation and indigenous rights. Rumillajta apparently ceased to exist in 2001 after the release of their last CD, Pachakuti.

One additional thing I learned at the concert I attended was that the group also specialized in guitar making.

I remember when Rossy posted Flight of the Condor. That's when we discovered we had a mutual interest in Andean music. It's so nice to find you share this interest! smile

Edited by griffin2417 (09/24/11 08:18 PM)

#1758701 - 09/24/11 11:37 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Whoa!
Watch this straight through to the end, I promise you won't regret it grin
(Ladies, you might want to sit down for this one)

#1759034 - 09/25/11 04:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Great posts guys, you all know I love Andean music.. thanks so much beautifull.

I was not going to mention anything about the sadness of Christopher walken at all, in fact I had almost forgotten about his ill advised vocally challenged exploits.
I have been extremely busy and didn't realy have enough time to donate any in Christophers direction.

And then Two things happened almost simultaneously: the first of which was a programme on ABC, First off though this is not THe USA televison,,,

This is Albania broadcasting company, Try and think of it like the BBC , The Albanians do, they love it.

So Albanian radio was playing in the background the other day, whilst Rossy was busy.. Imagine my surprise when they did a review of Christopher walkens singing....

The folks at the ABC just love him, they said his singing invoked visions of angelic hosts, and heaven itself must have sent him. In fact they went as far as saying "when Chris sings we can see he is laying his soul bare"

I was of course extremely surprised, as I believed Albania had moved forward artistically, I was under the impression that they had now heard of electric guitars and sanitation,and had aquired the knowledge of penicillin.

The second thing that happened simultaneously was that MrsR wanted to have a look at the latest christopher walken video on this post...

MrsR has quite good taste, she loves Tom waites and likes Johnny depp, for his good looks and also his uncanny knack of portaying odd characters.conversly she doesn't like Tom cruise because he is 4ft 6 and cannot take a joke.

What she doesnt like ever is when guys leave there socks or shoes on, especially when they are wearing old fashioned mansuspenders for their socks, this she absolutely hates and sometimes it makes her get heartburn or scoriasis.

I must admit that even the squeezing of lady-bumps as done by christopher in the video, did not distract me from his inability to sing, as so obviously intended.
Usually I am totally distracted by said happy puppies.
To obtain a sound like a 1930's singer singing through a megaphone, requires a megaphone or cupped hands or in christophers case, somebody else in a studio doing it for him.
Which adds to the sadness that Albania has yet to recognise.

Like I said, I havent had to much time on my hands lately especially for whining about chris, but I did find a man on google whom I contacted....

His english is excellent for an Albanian, and also he is relatively rich for an Albanian, his income he states as being big enough to support two wives, six daughters three of whom are married with four offspring each, a smallholding with an annual yield of 11 goats (on average precluding bad winters) 2 tons of parsnips, 3 tons of beetroot and a small but dangerous vodka still producing dubious but extremely toxic alcohol which sells for the equivilent of 50cents a pint.

Now he is willing (according to his blog "Make chris come to Albania" to pay to hear chris sing, with vodka and goats.

The saying in Albania is "beggers cannot be choosers of work permits"
So my advice to chris would be to go to Albania, while the offer is still open.

Especially so , as I have no outward bound plans in the direction of Albania in the pipeline personally.

Try and tap dance to this for an hour chris, then see how much the Albanians love you then,,,,,

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1759051 - 09/25/11 04:31 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

How did the session go with "the lad"?

#1759061 - 09/25/11 04:45 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

AH, well I learnt quite a few things, but mostly, that I need to learn a lot more!!
especially in the compression and sidechain department... like when to and when not to, but more importantly the reasoning behind it.
One of the hardest things to do in a music prgramme is to construct something that is slightly "off kilter" say like if you speed up or slow down any for effect or feeling.
Its easy to make things in perfect timing like a robot or like clockwork, this is probably why a lot of music done with music programmes sounds so stiff....
I often go off kilter, and my lad ("techno rossy" and Dj "man verses sofa") obviously with his music (dubstep) works in strict quantisised time, for the clubs.

But, progress is being made albeit slowly... he did say one thing "good riff" which I was pleased about!!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1759071 - 09/25/11 04:51 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sorry, this is what young rossy does, he is "man VS sofa" forgot to mention... google will bring up more info....His Roachme.com website is down at the mo, he forgot to pay the yearly charge, just an oversight, forgetfullness....
anyways we may not understand it, but this is apparently dubstep, and loads of work goes into it...

#1759074 - 09/25/11 04:54 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Even little progress is a goood thing, I always think "oh that's easy" then when push comes to shove, is it 'eck, there's always something you didn't account for, at least you realised the complications and are on your way to solving 'em! I wish you the best of luck!

#1759082 - 09/25/11 05:01 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ah cheers wayne, my work at the moment is I have the piano all done and dusted, and a few other things have been added, the complex bit is getting it so nothing is foggy or murky, in other words, so nothing clouds or obscures anything else..this is the mystery of mysteriousness for me!!
I just want an end result to soon!!

#1759090 - 09/25/11 05:13 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Good evening folks! I hope all is going well. I've been tardy with getting my Sunday classical postings done today. Me and the other half are trying to get furniture moved around in the room we just remodeled. It always takes longer than you think it will! Just like all of us with working on our music! grin

I'll be back in just a few minutes with my classical posts. I must do it now before I'm called to help haul around some other furniture pieces!

#1759096 - 09/25/11 05:23 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Being impatient is me all over Rossy, Your lads vids on YT aren't bad by the way!

Griffin, pretend to sprain your ankle, that should put you off duty!

#1759098 - 09/25/11 05:24 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi Everyone! My first classical Sunday post will be a three-part suite by English composer, Ralph Vaughan Williams, "English Folk Song Suite."

Written in 1923, the English Folk Song Suite is one of Williams's most famous works for military band. The suite consists of three movements: March, Intermezzo and another March, all of which are subtitled with English folk song names. The first march is based upon Seventeen Come Sunday, the Intermezzo upon My Bonny Boy and the final movement on Folk Songs from Somerset.
The suite was originally composed as a four-movement suite, including Sea Songs as the second movement. Its world premiere was given at Kneller Hall on July 4, 1923

This performance is by the London Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Adrian Boult.

#1759102 - 09/25/11 05:27 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: wayne32yrs
Being impatient is me all over Rossy, Your lads vids on YT aren't bad by the way!

Griffin, pretend to sprain your ankle, that should put you off duty!

Aha! You've done this before Wayne! laugh I think I will save that one for when I don't want to practice piano either. That's a keeper though!

#1759110 - 09/25/11 05:35 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

My second posting was inspired by an earlier post of Recaredo who posted a beautiful piece composed by Anton Dvorak. I've always loved his "New World Symphony."

Since I may be called back to furniture moving duty at any time, I will simply post the First movement, which is my favorite. It is performed by the Dublin Philharmonic under the direction of Derek Gleeson.

#1759113 - 09/25/11 05:44 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

I haven't been called back to furniture moving! I still have time for one more post. I leave you with the Parker String Quartet performing Sting Quartet #1, first movement by Romanian born composer, Gyorgi Ligeti.

#1759114 - 09/25/11 05:45 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

That's it for me. I'll be checking in shortly. I've just been called back to furniture moving activities! Later!

#1759478 - 09/26/11 07:59 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Fantastic posts Griffin! I loved the “English Folk Song Suite”. I didn’t know it. Marvellous music, and the version is really good. Adrian Boult was indeed a great conductor.

Thanks for the new video from the Parker String Quartet. They are ever welcome!

About Dvorak, we had to post more about his music. He’s one of my favourite composers. Here we have the first dance from the collection called “Legends”. Although these pieces are less known than the "Slavonic Dances", they are also really beautiful.

#1759521 - 09/26/11 09:37 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
griffin2417 Offline

Good morning Recaredo. I truly enjoyed your post. I had not heard it before. I'd love to hear more Dvorak. That's another example of why I love this thread. I'll be back shortly with some pop tunes.

#1759523 - 09/26/11 09:42 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Good morning everyone! I survived the furniture moving yesterday without any muscle soreness! I woke this morning wanting to hear some Billy Ocean tunes. My first post is "When the Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going."

#1759524 - 09/26/11 09:43 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
musdan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Talking of Orf with his head.

The Royal Ballet has done it's version of Alice in wonderland which of course features The Queen of hearts (off with her head)
This is the first Totally new production in twenty years, and is destined for great success, if you haven't seen it , you should.

It has some extremelt funny moments in it and Zenaida Yanowsky who plays the Queen of hearts is extremely talented, and very very funny. Check out this clip.

Thanks for the clip, I'd love to see this ballet. smile

#1759529 - 09/26/11 09:51 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Keep your dancing shoes on for "Nights."

#1759533 - 09/26/11 10:01 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

This will probably be my last post for what promises to be a busy day! Here is "Suddenly."

Have a great day everyone!

#1759538 - 09/26/11 10:09 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wow hya dudes and dudettes...!!! Musdan just brought up a video from the very beginings of this thread!! Thats dedicated thread reading !!!
Well done Musdan!!!
I remember when I was just a lad, a mere nipper, and I had just started this thread and was unsure of it's direction, well after two world wars and many global catastrophic events here we are, and hasn't the world changed in the meantime?

Gone are the good old days of being able to push pensioners out of the way to get the best seat on a bus, gone are the days of whipping children when they aren't working hard enough, or dont have enough jobs to bring in extra cash.

Its such a strange almost unrecognisable world now, and everything is wrapped up in so much Political corectness beurocracy, that I cannot even have a ciggerette in the mother and baby changing rooms in Asda anymore without someone doing a "false cough"

A "false cough" is what none smokers do when they see a smoker at 56 yards.

This is an annoying trait, I was stood at the bus stop the other day and this lady who was allready there, breathing in the belching diesal fumes of passing lorries with no apparent problem, suddenly starts the "false cough" when she sees me lighting one up.... and it was windy, the wind was blowing the smoke in the opposite direction.... grrrr.

I will go away and have a good think about my next music post....

#1759867 - 09/26/11 05:54 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And here it is, I think I have found something both classical and unusual at the same time...
check this out....

#1760022 - 09/26/11 10:47 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Hey everybody. Great posts! Sorry I've been absent - been a little under the weather with some sinus thing that everyone at work seemed compelled to share with me. It's sad, as my cough sounds like a true smoker's cough and I was accused of smoking again. Oh, how I miss it! I think if I'm still around in my 70's-80's I'll start back up.

This was in my head yesterday:

Page 51 of 239 < 1 2 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 238 239 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
121 registered (Atrys, Augustina, Anne'sson, AndrewJCW, 33 invisible), 1326 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156825 Topics
2304287 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
08/20/14 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
08/20/14 11:45 PM
Molotov Cocktail Piano
by Robert W. Weber
08/20/14 11:38 PM
20 inch tablet for sheet music?
by Sand Tiger
08/20/14 11:04 PM
Need help with a piano purchase
by Freece65
08/20/14 09:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission