Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
100 registered (Anita Potter, ando, 36251, accordeur, anamnesis, 30 invisible), 1312 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 58 of 244 < 1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 243 244 >
Topic Options
#1768804 - 10/11/11 04:59 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
I know Wayne, I was just teasing.. Here is s sensible suggestion: As you wil have realised bowing technique is not easy, this may help..
Take the bow, tension it approx half way , place bow approx half way between the end of the neck and the bridge and try this: Starting at the begining of the bow (the bit nearest your hand) draw the bow across the bottom string, all the way till the end of the bow...

what you are trying to do here is create an EVEN volume of sound all allong the bows length.
Also as slowly as possible, so the note lasts as LONG as you can make it, strive for even volume.. also watch the bow,.. you want to be making a straight line and not wobbling or going off at a tangent... sounds simple? it isn't ( at first )

Then do the same for all the other strings.... even volume allong the bows length, longest note possible, keeping the bow in a straight line.....

Then, when you think you have got that, you do the same again, but this time starting at the other end of the bow, (the part farthest from your hand)

You are looking to do exactly the same, on the upbow as the downbow, remember the bow hasn't changed its length, so you should be able to make a full upbow last as long as a downbow!! Try and make the volume the same...

This will most certainly help you develope good technique.

Rossys lesson no.1 free of charge, from one Yorkie to another!!

Edited by Rostosky (10/11/11 06:44 PM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1768857 - 10/11/11 06:34 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Greetings everyone! I'm just dropping by to say hello. Work continues to be hectic with tons of writing projects. Things should settle down by the end of next week, however. It's just like that this time of the year at work.

There are some scary looking postings on this thread! Just in time for Halloween PPP! I am heading home. The other half is not feeling well, and needs some attention.

I will check in later!

#1768863 - 10/11/11 06:39 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Best wishes to your other half Griffin, we are seriously missing your posts here, AimeeO seems to have gone AWOL again , Hope she is Ok what with the sinitus, Wayne is Bowing around elsewhere and I think Recaredo had another horrible Monday....
PPP tried walkentrickery on me but I had his number before he did it!!!
I will post some goodies myself in an hour or so....
Later Griffin...

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1768985 - 10/12/11 12:26 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Rossy, something wierd is going on with the internet and PWF. I've actually tried to post something twice, and it doesn't connect. I'll try again (for the 3rd time!)

Here is Anita Baker with "Giving It The Best That I Got."

#1768986 - 10/12/11 12:29 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hya Griffin, and good morning to you, hows your other half fairing , Hope they are OK.
Pw has been a bit wierd most of the night, there is s website called "down or just me" (google) if you are ever unsure, go there and type the name of the website you want to check, and it will tell you if it is down Orrrrr,.....just you!!!

#1768992 - 10/12/11 12:39 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

I see my condensed post finally went through! yippie Anybody else been experiencing posting problems this evening?

Well Rossy, I won't be up too much longer. Thanks for your best wishes for my other half. He's resting, but still not feeling too good. It reminds me of a flu I had last spring.

Also thanks for your kind words about my postings. I truly enjoy doing them, and hate it when my time gets stretched too thin. Anyway, I happened to get some unexpected free time this evening to listen to a little music. Hope you enjoyed Anita Baker as much as I did!

If you're not around when I check in, sleep well!

#1768999 - 10/12/11 01:01 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

Hey Rossy! We finally caught up. How exciting! We posted at the same time.

Yeah, I've tried to post and reply to you several times this evening, and was unable to post. Thanks for that tip on finding out if it's them, or just me.

As it turned I out I had more time to listen to music and do some postings, and piano practice. My partner went to bed much earlier tonight, and he needs the rest. Hopefully he will turn the corner in the next day or so. That's how it went for me, when I had to deal with a flu last spring. I'll keep you posted.

#1769006 - 10/12/11 01:29 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It just went askew for me then Griffin!!! couldn't connect, and it was saying it was the site!

Ah well, its my bedtime anyways, so I will say Goodnight and will catch you tommorrow with some music... all things being even an all that!!! (which they never are are they?)

I will leave you with this gem... when I was a kid it was hearing this that made me want to play the piano...those doubled up chords do it for me every time........

There is a distince lack of Tchaikovsky postings in general on PW, In fact its like he aint mentioned much at all for any reason....

Too hard to spell maybe?? lol

#1769031 - 10/12/11 02:44 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

From the BBC news website...: Paramedics arriving on the scene of an accident on a film set in Toronto, were faced with a scene of extreme blood and gore...

It wasn't quite as bad as first thought though, as this was an accident that had happened whilst filming the new Resident evil film, and the injured folk were..ZOMBIES!!!

12 were taken to hospital, the worst injury .. a broken leg...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15268321

I hope Milla Jovovich is Okay, and will be emailing her again to check on this, I suppose I must also mention that she could apply to be Rossys patron, or one of Rossys patrons whilst I am at it, allthough I wont mention that Hellena Bonham Carter is hot in the running for number one patron spot?

Unless someone else applies quickly Milla will be favourite for number two spot.

Someone said "why are dogs mans best friend? what about wives?"

It seems one sniffs others behinds, and one barks at the neighbours cats.

Dont ask me which does what, it varies on the neighbourhood I believe.

#1769042 - 10/12/11 03:27 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Hi everybody!

I don't want to jinx myself, but I think I am at the tail end of this stupid cold.

Great posts, everybody.
Wayne, it's good to see you are enjoying your violin.
Griffin, I hope your other half is feeling better and does not have this crud that I have!
Rossy - I do hope Milla is okay. BillyO says to back off of Roxy Epoxy or he will tell Milla about both Roxy and Helena.
PPP - is there Christopher Walken for every occasion?

Here's some more Tchaikovsky, from Swan Lake. I've always like this pas de deux. I should probably see Black Swan sometime, but it just looks so stressful.

#1769090 - 10/12/11 06:10 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: AimeeO]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

OOOH OOO AimeeO

Now you got me started.. that was a lovely post indeed,
In the early 90's I was incredibly fortunate in gaining a pair of tickets to The Royal Opera House Covent Garden to see a production of swan lake, starring Jonathen cope, and ....wait for it... Silvie Guillem.. With...wait for it.....
The Bolshoi Orchestra.
Silvie was "on loan" from the parisien ballet, and I was extremely fortunate to get the tickets, from a guy who works there...

I caught silvie outside afterwards and got her autograph on the programme.. she signed "Silvie" in the shape of a swan..the top of the "S" of silvie forming the swans neck and the bottom of the "S" stretched out into the shape of a swans body with the "ilvie" written in the body....she must have worked on that alone for hours!!

I was thinking just what to say after a stunning, flawless, once in a lifetime performance, I waitied quite patiently in a queue of about ten people., but then I sensed she was going to get into a waiting car, so I seriously queue jumped !!

I gave her my program, and not having a pen, I said to the guy who was now behind me, "quick, quick, a pen" and he lent me his, and I had just queue jumped him!!!

I handed it to Miss guillem and spurted "that was simply the most beautifull thing I have ever seen" in her french accent she said "the pen?"

I said "no no no, your beautifull performance" and she laughed and said "got you" and then asked what name to put on the autograph...for a few moments I just stared like a retard trying to think if I should say your name sylvie!! then hurredly and stupidly spelt my name...

Afterwards I thought of a million things I could have done better!!!

Here is a fantastic doc about this wonderfull dancer famous for her trademark 180's.....

dont worry it is not in Russian!!!

#1769157 - 10/12/11 09:44 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Check this out, its awesome.

#1769311 - 10/12/11 03:00 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Been really busy again folks, hope everyone's good!

Rossy, cheers for lesson 1, only had 5mins this morning to try that out, and yes you were right, it's difficult! I will keep at it and let you know when I'm ready for my next lesson!

Edited by wayne32yrs (10/12/11 04:05 PM)
Edit Reason: decided against it!

#1769313 - 10/12/11 03:03 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK

Edited by wayne32yrs (10/13/11 01:51 PM)

#1769348 - 10/12/11 04:30 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Hi everybody.

Griffin, I hope your half part already feels good.

Today has been the National Day of Spain. We’ve spent a nice day at the beach. It’s curious. When I was a child, it was unthinkable to go to the beach in autumn, as the weather already was cold in these dates. In contrast, now days it’s possible to enjoy the beach and the sea until November.

Coming back to the music. It’s always interesting to listen to the musicians, when they talk about their own experiences. In this video, we can watch a brief documentary about the recording of the piano quintets of Brahms and Schumann, by Leif Ove Andsnes and the Artemis Quartet.

I hope you like it.

My website

#1769471 - 10/12/11 07:59 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Excellent Recaredo, your right !! It is allways interesting to know of musicians experiences especially recordings.

Loads of rest for your partner Griffin, whilst you, er do , er, even more work!! what with extra cooking and cleaning duties!! Oh dear.

Wayne, Once you have mastered what I suggested, you will find everything else will become easier, when you dont have to concentrate so hard on bowing technique, you will be able to just totally focus on finger position...

Another Important lesson right at the begining of learning the violin, is how to hold it correctly, I know this may sound stupid, But , you should not be taking the weight with your left hand...this will lead to an aching hand/arm and possible future probs

My teacher when I was younger started us off with holding the violin between the chin and chest, no left hand support.. in other words, take the violin and place it under your chin, and hold it against your chest with no hands at all..

You should aim for the violin sticking straight out and not drooping and pointing at the floor!!

Everyone in the group was scared of dropping it at first, but no one did, If you have any concerns do it over your bed....

This tip will make it easier for when you start to move up and down the neck whilst playing, it will be smoother because you wont be gripping it for grim death!!!

hope that helps...Rossys free lesson n0.2 !!!!

Well dudes and dudettes, I should be able to post some music later, but first, I have to go and remove my imaginary friend from the cupboard under the stairs, he is hiding in there and messing with the hoover and some half full tins of paint...

Little did I realise that this imaginary friend would develop into such a nuisance and cause as many problems now that he has become established in our household.

#1769508 - 10/12/11 09:21 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Hi all,

This is my first post in this topic. Just want to congrat Wayne with his new violin! It looks very nice. I hope it sounds decent.

I like gypsy music. Here is a video with in the end (from 03:20) music from Serbia, I think.

Although it sounds a lot like Ibro Lolov - Sofly from Bulgaria. I guess it has the same riffs. I love it.

The video Fallen Art is a bit disturbing polish war comic, but that sums up war quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7HMz1WKkso&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Playing since May 02 2009

#1769547 - 10/12/11 10:41 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: PaperClip]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hya paperclip, and welcome to this thread!! I love "shorts" as we call them in the UK,
At the moment there is a short season on one of our telly channels, they show three shorts per night...

Excellent, I have put it up here directly.. good fun.

Thanks for the post, hope you have lots more music and stuff to post...

You may like this music... I hope its what you meant!!

#1769588 - 10/13/11 12:16 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Good evening everyone! I just dropped by to say hello.

Welcome Paperclip. I enjoyed the shorts you posted. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes to my other half. He is doing somewhat better today. However, he still has a way to go.

Aimee, it doesn't seem like he has the same thing you are recovering from.

Rossy, you are right about me having to double up on the chores in the evening. I just got done washing the dishes, and dinner preparations!

Recaredo, I loved the Artemis Quintet. Thanks for introducing me to them. I particularly enjoyed the background information. They reminded me a bit of the Parker Quartet.

Wayne, it sounds like you are as busy as I am these days. I'm glad you are enjoying your new violin.

Yes, I do have a post tonight! I leave you with Alicia Keys and this tribute to Luther Vandross (R.I.P.), "A House is Not a Home."

Pleasant dreams and Good Night!

#1769609 - 10/13/11 12:48 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Morning Griffin!

#1769611 - 10/13/11 12:51 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Hey Rossy! I wasn't sure if you were still up. How are things?

#1769628 - 10/13/11 01:17 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Alls well Griffin, been trawling the net for some suitable images to put with my music to make a video, but total loss happened, I cannot find anything that I can see in my minds eye, which means either a compromise ( oh no not that!!) or I go out and buy a video cam, and try and get the images before oct 21 or miss out on putting it out for halloween...

Struggling! lol.

#1769629 - 10/13/11 01:23 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Rossy, it's past midnight on this side of the pond. I'm going to bed. I ended up using a little time to do one of my favorite activities -- music research. Tonight's research I am going to share because it's a lullaby performed by one of my favorite trumputers, Wynton Marsalis.

I will say good night (one more time) and leave you with "A Trumpeter's Lullaby" by American composer, Leroy Anderson. Pleasant Dreams!

#1769630 - 10/13/11 01:25 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

We posted at the same time. I have a feeling your experience with a video cam will be helpful for me to learn when a get a few more years of piano training underway.

#1769633 - 10/13/11 01:29 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Rossy, I also just realized what a great opportunity you have to keep control over your work by learning the art of creating images for your composition. How exciting!

Let's catch up some more tomorrow! I have a very busy writing day ahead of me at work. I have to do an interview, research, and write an article, and turn it all out in about 24 hours! Not unlike my earlier days as a reporter. Let's see if this older and wiser guy can still put it out there! grin

Edited by griffin2417 (10/13/11 01:35 AM)
Edit Reason: I'm in copy editor mode! lol

#1769636 - 10/13/11 01:37 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Welcome to the thread, Paperclip!

I like that Recaredo. It must be amazing to play well enough to be in a quartet.
Griffin, glad he does not have my cooties. That means hopefully he will get well fast. I feel pretty good today - just in time for my days off to be over!
Rossy, I started to watch that documentary, and can't wait til I have time to finish it. I think you need to hurry up and get a video camera.

Here is Bo Tei? written by Wim Statius Muller.

#1769641 - 10/13/11 01:44 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

I finally got a chance to listen to this today. Apparently there was a lost notebook of Hank Williams' songs, and they got finished and put on a cd that came out a coupla weeks ago. The songs are performed by various artists - Jack White, Bob & Jakob Dylane, Sheryl Crow, and others.
I like this one - Lucinda Williams' voice sounds like Janis Joplin's.

#1769642 - 10/13/11 01:48 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks griffin and AimeeO for wise words, Griffin, you will do it, just maybe!!
May I just ask what "cooties" are? AimeeO , I have no Idea, hope its not bad anyways.

Glad you like the doc so far, I was mesmerised, mainly because I am impressed with anyone who practises 9 hrs a day for 19 years at anything...as most professional ballerinas have!
And silvie is just so good.

Video cameras, vs rossys brain.... well the most for my money is what we all want, but there are so many of them out there...

I must go spend some time studying the subject and work out whats the best one for my funds......

I bet there is a chris walken tutorial on video camera purchase somewhere in PPP's arsenal. lol

#1769643 - 10/13/11 01:48 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

simultaneous post sorry!!!!

#1769644 - 10/13/11 01:49 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Here's Taj Mahal..

Page 58 of 244 < 1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 243 244 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
You Usually Get what you Pay for in this World.......
by Paul678
11/27/14 08:22 PM
Steinway legs?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:58 PM
1875 legs and lyre where to get?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:02 PM
"It Don't mean A Thing (If it Ain't...
by prout
11/27/14 04:43 PM
Yamaha CP33?
by Possum SP280Krome
11/27/14 04:16 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159407 Topics
2341635 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission