2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hello everyone,

I've got pretty much numerous copies of each of Chopin's main works. However, I recently came across a beautiful posthumously published Waltz in E major (B.44) which I fell in love with. So I was wondering, are there any collections/books of his Posth or 'rare' works, such as the Waltzes, Mazurka's etc? I mainly buy the ABRSM editions of his works which often include one or two of the Posth works - but not all.

Regards,

Sam

Last edited by Samuel1993; 07/04/11 06:39 PM.

Currently working on...
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu in C sharp minor Op.66
Mozart - Piano Sonata in E flat K.282
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you don't mind online sheet music, this is a good site. smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It would be a good idea, but I've never been aware of any such collection. The only ways I've ever found stuff like that:

-- Complete collections of the particular type of piece (e.g. "waltzes") which are more 'complete' than most complete collections. smile

-- Occasional little collections of stray stuff. The way I discovered a couple of other posthumous Chopin waltzes was in a score that just contained those two. I came across it by accident in the "Chopin" section at a local music store (Patelson's).

-- I've discovered some Chopin pieces that were previously unknown to me from collections of "midi" performances on internet sites. I found two polonaises this way -- and immediately got the scores (in a "complete" edition of the polonaises that was more complete than any I had known) and enthusiastically learned them.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Following on Mark_C's advice, let me add :

The new Polish National Edition publishes the posthumous works of Chopin (Series B) separate from the works published during his lifetime (Series A), but, unfortunately for us, they publish each genre in a separate volume. For example :
- Vol. 25 - the 12 posthumous Mazurkas
- Vol. 26 - the 9 posthumous Polonaises
- Vol. 27 - the 9 posthumous Waltzes
- Vol. 28 - Variations in E, Sonata in c minor, Op. 4
- Vol. 29 - Various compositions, including the Ecossaises, the Nocturne in C-sharp minor (Lento con gran espressione}, the Fantaisie-Impromptu and a few other pieces.

As each volume is not cheap, purchasing these can be an expensive proposition.

I would opt for something like - but not necessarily limited to - the Henle edition which publishes the posthumous works along with those published during Chopin's lifetime, but you still have to buy each "genre" separately.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by BruceD
....The new Polish National Edition publishes the posthumous works of Chopin (Series B) separate from the works published during his lifetime (Series A), but, unfortunately for us, they publish each genre in a separate volume....As each volume is not cheap, purchasing these can be an expensive proposition....

That's still great to know! I'm sure many people will find it useful.

And besides, maybe someone from that publishing house will see this thread and it'll help them decide to come out with a complete volume of the posthumous works! (Stranger things have happened.....)

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Samuel1993
Hello everyone,

I've got pretty much numerous copies of each of Chopin's main works. However, I recently came across a beautiful posthumously published Waltz in E major (B.44) which I fell in love with. So I was wondering, are there any collections/books of his Posth or 'rare' works, such as the Waltzes, Mazurka's etc? I mainly buy the ABRSM editions of his works which often include one or two of the Posth works - but not all.

Regards,

Sam

The ABRSM Mazurkas has 9 post. pieces, the Waltzes 6. I guess that's more than a few but probably not all. Pardon my ignorance of Chopin, but how many post. works are we expecting?

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by kevinb
The ABRSM Mazurkas has 9 post. pieces, the Waltzes 6. I guess that's more than a few but probably not all. Pardon my ignorance of Chopin, but how many post. works are we expecting?

AFAIK these info in these two Wikipedia articles is complete:

Chopin's Compositions by Musical Form

Chopin's Compositions by Opus Number

The lists in both articles distinguish the posthumous pieces without opus numbers from the ones numbered Op. 66 to Op. 74 by Fontana ... which can be helpful in tallying the totals for each category of pieces.

J
J
Originally Posted by kevinb
Pardon my ignorance of Chopin, but how many post. works are we expecting?

The following document:

www.chopin-nationaledition.com/uploaded/numeracja_serii_B.doc

lists all Chopin's posthumous works with their catalog numbers (WN numbers), including those with opus numbers given by Fontana (identified in the fourth column of the table). The second column lists the old (obsolete) WN numbers. Titles in double quotes (e.g. „Czary”) are songs, other genres should be obvious also for those who don't know Polish.

Edited to add: In Poland, the German system of key (tonality) designation is used,
i.e. translate B -> B flat, H -> B, As -> A flat, gis -> G sharp, g = G minor, G = G major.

J.A.S

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission