2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by music32
The every other week arrangement, you are right, doesn't work.

Most of the time it doesn't work, but I can find at least three examples (one is my current student, and two are my friend's students) where this bi-weekly lesson arrangement worked out well. As usual, I think it really depends on the individual student.

Yes, it can work with serious students who possess the discipline and desire to follow assignments and practice regularly. The majority of my students come to lessons with ten reasons why they didn't practice much during the school year. Then summer comes, and with it, the ability to really put in the practice hours, and many of them drop to "take a break" or are involved in camps, vacations, and a variety of other new excuses why they didn't practice. Those are the students who should not do 2 lessons a month.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by chasingrainbows
Then summer comes, and with it, the ability to really put in the practice hours, and many of them drop to "take a break" or are involved in camps, vacations, and a variety of other new excuses why they didn't practice. Those are the students who should not do 2 lessons a month.

These things are not necessarily 'excuses'. Kids do have things in their lives besides playing the piano. While the school summer break might be a great time to catch up on piano practice, it's a great time for other things as well, and for the same reason.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
chasingrainbows, I would say "I'm sorry for the change in plans, but teaching every other week is not going to work for me after all. I can give you contact information for other teachers if you'd like."

I like your idea of saying you'll have to check your schedule (in the future) and get back with them. I too have made the mistake of thinking I always have to give an immediate answer. "I'll think it over, check my schedule and get back with you" is a reasonable response. I've learned to use this concept in another situation (with a family member with hypochondria who continually tries to get me to take her to doctor appointments).

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I've reminded the parent of my policy, everytime she cancels at the last minute. It is my own fault that she continues to be so inconsiderate. I can easily fill the slot with another student, and plan to do that.
For this particular situation it's too late to change, but with all your other students, the only reminder of your policy should be that they pay you for the lesson in question. Polite reminders, if you make them, MUST come with a bill attached every time; otherwise they function as reminders that the real policy is "students have a lesson whenever they want one".

(I'm a piano teacher.)
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Gary D.
[..]and when I arrived for the lesson, was greeted quite distantly, and after the lesson the parent advised they want to back off for the summer and do every other week.[...]

Let me get this straight: "arriving" for a lessons means that you are going to the student's house?

For me make-ups are about my time and getting paid. I am lenient with parents who respect me. When I don't get respect, I don't budge an inch.

And yes, I have "fired" parents. It's fair. Parents can terminate lessons with us at any time. We should have the same right!

Yes, for my private students, I go to their home. I should have stopped being flexible with this parent long ago. She was annoyed b/c the recital conflicted with a picnic she had to run. They arrived late, and scooted out right after the student played. I will be glad to be rid of them.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

Yes, for my private students, I go to their home. I should have stopped being flexible with this parent long ago. She was annoyed b/c the recital conflicted with a picnic she had to run. They arrived late, and scooted out right after the student played. I will be glad to be rid of them.

We all have dealt with people like that, now and then. But the sooner you sever teaching relationships with them, the better. They are never pleased, they argue about everything and they do not PAY!!!

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
And what's even more ironic is that they live in a mansion in a very upscale neighborhood. My fee is a mere pittance to this family.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
And what's even more ironic is that they live in a mansion in a very upscale neighborhood. My fee is a mere pittance to this family.

It's ironic, but it is also VERY common. To such people we are nothing more than servants. This is why I much prefer working with parents who are struggling. I get far more respect from them, and in general their children take lessons much more seriously.

The problem with teaching in other people's homes is that there is no "turf" for the teacher. For me such situations generally put me in a weak position: people at the door, phones ringing, friends coming in and out during lessons, siblings, etc.

That's why I totally gave up teaching in other people's homes MANY years ago!

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by david_a
I've reminded the parent of my policy, everytime she cancels at the last minute. It is my own fault that she continues to be so inconsiderate. I can easily fill the slot with another student, and plan to do that.
For this particular situation it's too late to change, but with all your other students, the only reminder of your policy should be that they pay you for the lesson in question. Polite reminders, if you make them, MUST come with a bill attached every time; otherwise they function as reminders that the real policy is "students have a lesson whenever they want one".

David, what do you mean "it's too late too change"? Do you think I must now go along with the parent's request for every other week lessons?

B
B
I am very thankful I never started teaching in homes. I honestly can't believe people do this!

Bachelor of Music (church music)
Master of Church Music (organ, music education)
Piano Teacher since 1992
Church Musician since 1983
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
That rings familiar.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Gary D.

It's ironic, but it is also VERY common. To such people we are nothing more than servants. This is why I much prefer working with parents who are struggling. I get far more respect from them, and in general their children take lessons much more seriously.

The problem with teaching in other people's homes is that there is no "turf" for the teacher. For me such situations generally put me in a weak position: people at the door, phones ringing, friends coming in and out during lessons, siblings, etc.

That's why I totally gave up teaching in other people's homes MANY years ago!

I guess I never really thought about it, but you are absolutely right--my students whose parents are middle or upper middle class are conscientious, rarely miss lessons and are very respectful, as are the parents. This family calls at the last minute, expects make ups or credits, and it seems everything else in their lives is priority over piano lessons and practicing. And I have to ask to be paid, whereas my other parents have the check waiting. It's been very annoying.

There are pro's and con's to teaching in the student's home. I include all possible issues that may arise, in my studio policy (as many as I can think of, that is). It was a starting point in my teaching career until I accumulated more students at the local music store. I don't have the room yet for my own studio, and I'm not even sure that would work for me.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

There are pro's and con's to teaching in the student's home. I include all possible issues that may arise, in my studio policy (as many as I can think of, that is). It was a starting point in my teaching career until I accumulated more students at the local music store. I don't have the room yet for my own studio, and I'm not even sure that would work for me.

I mentioned elsewhere a situation in which I decided to go to a home. It was quite some time ago, but the experience was excellent. I simply think that we need to be VERY careful to protect ourselves, and one way to do it is to make sure we get paid in advance, that we stick to our policies, and that we do not allow ourselves to be treated as servants!

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
To all who responded: I contacted the parent in question and of course, they didn't answer, so i left a message that I was unable to schedule every other week lessons and if and when they were ready to begin weekly lessons, they could contact me. I also extended wishes to them for an enjoyable summer. No return call. And I am relieved. It's so very hard to let go of students. But the longer I teach, the easier it is getting. I can understand why so many teachers include a no make up policy.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
chasingrainbows,
Thanks for the update. Congratulations on getting closure with this problem. smile

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I would exit, as I have encountered the same. I call it the extra musical dramas.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I had a quirky situation with a parent, where she was recommended by one of my current student's moms and lived a stone's throw from my studio. Little did I know that she was interviewing other teachers, until the end of what she termed a "trial lesson." The child, age 7, literally HATED the piano as evidenced by her behavior. Was studying with another teacher for about 9 months, and apparently mom thought the current teacher was not "clicking" with her daughter. Frankly, I could see why the teacher would not "click" with this student given her attitude, and reluctance to take piano in the first place.
When all was said and done, I was to "await" mom's decision about the lessons.. Well, I found the whole scenario not to my liking, and as soon as I got home from the Bay area, E-mailed the mom, with Subject Title "My Decision," which obviously precluded hers. I see a lot of this "trying out teachers" with the primer kids, and a lot of these parents think the grass is greener over the fence. Rather than tell the child to practice thoughtfully as the current teacher recommends, many parents would rather look for the Garden of Eden.

Last edited by music32; 07/20/11 06:33 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

David, what do you mean "it's too late too change"? Do you think I must now go along with the parent's request for every other week lessons?
Sorry, I didn't see your question when you wrote it. I meant that with this student, it's a bit late to start enforcing your policy now, because you've let them get away with not following it for so long - but with your newer students, don't ever let them get that way in the first place.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I meant that with this student, it's a bit late to start enforcing your policy now, because you've let them get away with not following it for so long - but with your newer students, don't ever let them get that way in the first place.

You are so right. Once students or (parents of young students) get used to stretching rules, it's impossible to change things.

I don't mind making acceptions for people who are appreciative and show me respect, but when I feel "pushed" by people who take advantage and who do not show me respect, they will not get anything extra out of me, including an extra 30 seconds of lesson time. With those people I give them exactly what they pay for, and nothing more.

It becomes hard for me when I'm working with children who are appreciative and respectful, but their *parents* are not.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Applause..

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission