Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 120 of 243 < 1 2 ... 118 119 120 121 122 ... 242 243 >
Topic Options
#1837547 - 02/02/12 11:17 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
With you Freinds was very lovely. Ahhh I dream of being able to play like that one day! Nice vid PPP!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1837548 - 02/02/12 11:18 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hmm I didn't think it was that new actually. It's a very weird movie. Well I can only keep my fingers crossed and hope that the sheet music is put out eventually. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1837549 - 02/02/12 11:20 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
well he does have a myspace , and its there too, you could allways ask him on myspace, he seems an approachable dude.??

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1837553 - 02/02/12 11:24 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hmm goes and looks for myspace. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1837726 - 02/03/12 06:22 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Hi!

I've been always fascinated by old recordings, especially with those made with piano rolls. This technique doesn’t mean strictly a recording, but at least we can get an idea about how some composers played their own works. Listening to piano rolls is like a time travel.

Here we can listen to a piano roll recorded by Granados on his Spanish Dance No 2.

My website

#1837751 - 02/03/12 07:23 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
I'm just drafting a response to the UK government consultation on the 2010 drug strategy, and the Losing My Edge (spoken word, Gil Scott Heron stylee)) and the drugs thing caused me to remember this, Noah's Toilet by Coldcut, which has some pretty funny lyrics:

"He's a member,
Wearing nothing but a peanut in the middle of December"

etc.

#1837755 - 02/03/12 07:28 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Becca, I've obtained music from "the artist/the composer" by dropping a quick line on twitter too. Especially productive when there is no commercial availability.

#1837756 - 02/03/12 07:31 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

And then Noah's Toilet reminded me of Music 4 No Musicians, on the same album (which I haven't played in years). A reference to Steve Reich perhaps?

Thanks goodness almost all the music is now on the shelves!

#1837758 - 02/03/12 07:33 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

whats your stance on the governments stratagy that doesnt work and never has Eglantine??

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1837762 - 02/03/12 07:36 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
Eglantine Offline

Originally Posted By: Recaredo
Hi!

I've been always fascinated by old recordings, especially with those made with piano rolls. This technique doesn’t mean strictly a recording, but at least we can get an idea about how some composers played their own works. Listening to piano rolls is like a time travel.

Here we can listen to a piano roll recorded by Granados on his Spanish Dance No 2.

Wow, one of my favourite Spanish pieces. I'd always listened to Alicia de Larrocha's interpretation, since childhood. And she's fabulous. But I never realised there were any actual Granados recordings. This is I suppose what we are missing with many composers: the composer's interpretation of his/her own piece, how to turn the inevitably simplified symbolism of the sheet into the living experience.

#1837770 - 02/03/12 07:50 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I love the mechanics involved in the piano roll, I will hazard a guess That Recaredo finds the mechanics fascinating too, he loves seeing how things work!!!

#1837772 - 02/03/12 07:52 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
whats your stance on the governments stratagy that doesnt work and never has Eglantine??

Exact-a-ment, Rossy. I do encourage *everyone* with an interest to file a response, as only hearing from peeps will we have a hope of anyone listening. The good thing is that many more pseudo-official peeps - eg Transform - and famous peeps - Mr Branson and his international committee - are now on the same side. Make your voice heard!

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commit...ent-2010/drugs/

Deadline is 7 Feb (next Tuesday).

#1837902 - 02/03/12 11:42 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
I had so much going on yesterday I didn't get to post Groundhog Day. It's a ridiculous song, but I love the bass.

#1837905 - 02/03/12 11:48 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

I liked this piano roll when I was learning a much easier version of this piece.

#1837920 - 02/03/12 12:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Recardo: Lovely lovely song. smile

Aimeeo and Eglantine: LAMO! Very interesting songs.

Good morning everyone! I'm getting 3 strings put on my piano today! So I'm all wound up. Hehe Not sure how much posting I will be doing. Have to fit in piano practice and yoga in this afternoon yet before I head out to the boyfriends later.

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1838000 - 02/03/12 02:10 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

omg I just saw this here! That would totally be my luck!

Spain Village Wins $950M Lottery - $130,000 Prize to All in Town (Except One Resident)
By Marty Cox
Feb 3, 2012

An entire Spain village is celebrating a lottery win, with the exception of one man who did not enter with the rest of the town residents.

The village of farmers and construction workers is now enjoying a minimum payout of $130,000 per resident except for Costis Mitsotakis, a Greek filmmaker "who moved to the village for a woman," a report has revealed.

The way the village enters the lottery is though a group pool and somehow Mitsotakis was overlooked.

He appears to hold no ill will.

The Lottery Post reveals:

"Mr. Mitsotakis said it would have been nice to win. But he has benefited nonetheless. He had been trying to sell some land without much success. The day after the lottery a neighbor called to say he would buy it. The next day another neighbor called. But Mr. Mitsotakis refused to get into a bidding war."

"This is a small village," he said. "You don't want bad feelings."

More details.

The report explains what a major event the drawing is in the European country.

The lottery, first established in 1812, is a huge event in Spain. Many people take the morning off to watch the televised coverage of the numbers being drawn from a gilded spinning cage. Spain's lottery works differently from those in the United States. This year there were 1,800 first-prize-winning tickets with the same number, 58268, each paying $520,000. As the tickets cost $26 each, they are often broken down into $6.50 "participations.'"

Spain's national lottery, known as "El Gordo."

#1838035 - 02/03/12 03:35 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My wife plays that lottery every year, called “Christmas lottery”, but she always wins nothing.

Well, I think this year she got 120 euros. This changed our lives.

My website

#1838037 - 02/03/12 03:36 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Hi everyone! I'm busy getting ready for my Desert Island interview, and my Sunday classical postings. Hope you are all well. I'll just be lurking today.

Rossy, check your PM!

#1838039 - 02/03/12 03:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Coming back to old recordings, this is the oldest one that I know about musicians. Here we can listen to Brahms speaking and playing the piano!

Obviously the sound quality is poor, but I find this recording very interesting.

#1838040 - 02/03/12 03:41 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey Griffin, it sounds like a huge interview. I’m looking forward to read it.

My website

#1838045 - 02/03/12 03:49 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In this cylinder recording, Tchaikovsky speaks with others musicians, although I understand nothing. Does anyone speak Russian?

#1838081 - 02/03/12 05:13 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Hello all, hope everyone's well smile not had chance to catch up on what's been goin' on around here, might get chance this weekend smile see you guys then, here's my Lady G mashup, surely you've been missin' 'em............turn this up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1838090 - 02/03/12 05:25 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Recaredo
In this cylinder recording, Tchaikovsky speaks with others musicians, although I understand nothing. Does anyone speak Russian?

Yes. He is saying he's not sure whom he'd like to meet first- Professor Stephen Hawkings or Rossy, it's a toss-up !
Also, he wishes You Tube and copy-righted material existed when he lived as his descendants would now be ridiculously rich.

#1838165 - 02/03/12 07:33 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Hey, Rossy, David Attenborough asked for a piano this week on DID! He mentioned he might be able to chop it up to make a boat. And his favourite turned out to be Goldberg No. 3. Kirsty allowed him to take all the Goldbergs as a special concession.

#1838252 - 02/03/12 11:14 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hya dudes and dudettes!! just got up ( yes it is 3.30 am, or was when I just got up) back to being a night owl till I get back to sleeping during the night. I seriously hate winter it is very cold now. will be around for most of the night till around mid afternoon today!

#1838381 - 02/04/12 06:04 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

DUDES AND DUDETTES.... ALERT. ALERT: we will be posting Griffins Desert Island Discs Tommorrow, thats SUNDAY ...

SUNDAY at 5.PM LONDON time!!!

This promises to be extremely informative, some great musical choices ( as you may suspect) and very entertaining...

And also, there will be a "Surpise" without giving the surprise away, I will just say "Happenstance" crept in , in a big way.

Kudos to Griffin for agreeing to be the first "castaway"

#1838464 - 02/04/12 10:45 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm looking forward to it Rossy and Griffin!

Good morning everyone. smile My pick for today is the Gryphon Trio! James (Jamie) Parker is coming here in April, and my boyfriend graciously said he would accompany me to go and see him! It'll be my first live performance. (It's Jamie Parker only not the Trio.)

Edited by BeccaBb (02/04/12 10:46 AM)

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1838500 - 02/04/12 12:54 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

I should be there (here) - after my class.

#1838671 - 02/04/12 07:45 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

OMG, we've got snow in London. Quite a bit but not too much.

Here's some Saturday night music, I Talk to the Wind by King Crimson. What a pity there's no footage of Greg Lake singing... but then this is 1969!

#1838676 - 02/04/12 08:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
Some friends in London just posted pictures of the snow from their window, its pretty. I'm actually a bit jealous because here near Cleveland, where it should be snowing, we've got nothing. In early January we got one bunch of snow good enough to take the kids sledding in and since then there has just been a few bits here and there that don't stick around. Its convenient to not be shovelling and to run out to put trash in the big bin without putting your coat on first but it feels so...unnatural. Plus, I work for a school so if we don't get at least one "snow day" I will feel cheated.

Page 120 of 243 < 1 2 ... 118 119 120 121 122 ... 242 243 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
10/26/14 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
10/25/14 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
10/25/14 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
10/25/14 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
10/25/14 08:34 PM
Who's Online
74 registered (ARamadan, angga888, AZ_Astro, anotherscott, 15 invisible), 1048 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327681 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission