2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 202 of 370 1 2 200 201 202 203 204 369 370
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoJoy: I thought of what I'd like to be if I could wave a magic wand:
As long as we're FANTASIZING....I would love to be a gifted, prolific songwriter/composer for the theatre, specifically. It would be a dream to write a lovely musical that became a classic in time- make that pleural, musicalS. Throw in a great voice and I'm good to go!

RST:Pianojoy, you are going to be on this desert island for an indefinate time, are you a practical person, could you construct a shelter say?

Pianojoy: Rossy, I am a ridiculously practical person, however, if on an island,well, I think I can construct a shelter which would serve me well, until the first thunderstorm.
Obviously, I am not the "outdoorsy, camping, survivalist" type- I prefer all the conveniences of modern civilization, minus some of the electronics.

RST:How about cooking over an open fire, do you feel confident about managing this?

Pianojoy: If I can't turn a knob, then I can't light a fire, so I would quickly become a vegan, I guess! No hunting for this gal . I guess I would sorely miss the local grocery store.

RST: Record number seven ?

PianoJoy
:
My 7th selection is Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata - Adagio Cantabile.
I first heard this at the funeral of a 90 year old man (who refused to go to any MD and, apparently, that worked out for him)! I've probably heard this movement played hundreds of times (not live) and I never tire of it. I love its melancholy, haunting tone and find it very soothing and peaceful.
RST: PianoJoy went on to say this about the particular choice:
" I really don't know who this pianist is (probably some little piano recital somewhere) but I reviewed at least 15 You Tube videos (including Gould) and this comes the closest to how I prefer to hear it played.

RST:Are you comfortable with your own company, remember you will be on your own for a long time?

Pianojoy
: I am very comfortable being by myself and love, love, love being alone in the house!

RST:What do you think you will miss most about the "outside world"

Pianojoy
: I would miss contact with other human beings at some point on that island- probably sooner rather than later. Although, I talk to myself quite frequently these days , I imagine I would eventually run out of things to say !

RST:What would you like to think the "outside world will miss most about you?"

Pianojoy: The "outside world" would not miss me at all, however, I think my close family and friends (hopefully) would, ha ! In particular, I think my son would miss having a mom to take care of him and my husband would miss....um..my husband would, um.... Actually, I think he would be quite happy and content as this clean, rather orderly home would slowly turn into a "man cave". Ick. I also think our newspaper delivery boys would miss me as I tip them well at Christmas time.

RST: And Record number eight?

PianoJoy
: My 8th selection (and my most favorite) is "Scenes from an italian restaurant" by Billy Joel. I was, and remain, a huge BJ fan, although I far prefer music from early in his career. I think I heard "Scenes" a bit after it was released and I was instantly taken by it. I love the layers of story telling (two old flames reuniting and reminiscing over two young flames) and the mix of music (and tempo) - especially the slow, romantic piano ballad in the beginning and the end. This song speaks to my heart and takes me back in time and makes me feel like I'm fresh out of school again, with not a worry in the world. It's a great feeling, hence, my love for this piece. And, heck, it was born of a piano player, what's not to love?

Last edited by Rostosky; 02/26/12 01:00 PM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
RST:If there was a catastophic event on the island and you could only save one of your records, which one would it be?

*NOTE* whilst checking the notes at the 11th hour RST had a big panic that this question had got overlooked, But I think that As PianoJoy has done a "Countdown to her numero uno" RST will presume that the answer here would be Billy Joel.
RST will of course, try to rectify any possible question over this assumption.

RST: Pianojoy, we are giving you a bible or any other religeous text that applies to your faith, we are also giving you the complete works of shakespeare.

Pianojoy: I would choose the Bible (larger print, please)

RST:You can choose one Other Book to keep on the island, which book would you like?

Pianojoy: The "other book" would be a (please allow this!) photo album with pictures of my family and friends. I can't think of any book I would want more than this!

RST: I am sure we can allow that.

RST:You are allowed one luxery item, what would you like?

Pianojoy: Well, of course, I want to say "piano" for the luxury item, but I will not, just to be different. I will choose MY BED. I can only sleep well on MY BED. Not the floor, not on a sleeping bag, not on someone else's bed, MY BED. And, I imagine I'd be sleeping quite a lot on that island, so I may as well be comfortable.

RST: Pianojoy, thank you for sharing your desert island discs with RST, it has been wonderfull having you and your choices of music here today. I hope you are never marooned on a desert island and continue to share your posts and music here with the readers of RST!

Pianojoy: Rossy, thank you for being such a welcoming host and allowing me to ramble on- it's been a blast !

RST:Thank you.

Last edited by Rostosky; 02/26/12 01:04 PM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My next selection will be a particular treat for fans of Aomerican opera divas, Leontyne Price and Marilyn Horne. Here the two perform a duet from Hanel's opera, "Rinaldo."

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My final posting for today is "Introit", a Requiem by contemporary Welsh composer, Karl Jenkins. It is one of those delightful and accidental discoveries I made while researching something unrelated.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

That's all for me today. I'll be checking in later. I am looking forward to the DID featuring Piano Joy.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Griffin, accidently posted after the DID was done without realising it was done!!!
I held four posts with a post hold as well!! lol.
PianoJoys DID starts on the previous page folks!!!
Anyways, hope you all enjoy!!!

Last edited by Rostosky; 02/26/12 01:15 PM.

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Oh, well done Piano Joy!

Very adventurous *not* to have chosen a piano!

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Outstanding DID posting PianoJoy and Rossy! What a wonderful way to get to know the folks who post at RST! I enjoyed the music choices you made PJ. No wonder it's so fun to correspond with you on this thread! Thanks for letting us know more about you!

BTW, my apologies Rossy for being clueless as to what those blank posts meant earlier! Duh! laugh

Carl

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
thank you both Griffin & Eglantine! (I still find it boring...ha)

Rossy puts in a lot of work on these DID's and I'm grateful to him for that!

Now, I have to attend to the 9 YO who is refusing to do his book report and proudly walking around the house wearing his new, bigger size, ahem, baseball underwear and CUP.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Pianojoy, thank you for letting us know about you. I really enjoyed reading every answer.

Thanks for your job again, Rossy.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Griffin, that video of Leontyne Price is amazing. What an outstanding duet! Marilyn Horne is also a great singer.

I didn’t know the composer Karl Jenkins. His Requiem is indeed a beautiful music.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good afternoon all! Oooh it's DID day! Yay! Okay going to read it..

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Excellent DID Piano Joy and Rossy! It was very interesting! I also loved the music choices. Queen brought me back quite a bit! LOL

Well done!

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Rossy, where is this "special, special" thing you were going to post today,that is not on You Tube....something go awry?

(ps. I don't post often here, but please be advised, I do lurk continually-thanks for the nice words, all)

-the Beatles

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ah the very very very "Special thing" is still on its way, it was meant to arrive saturday, and allthough I was dissapointed at the time, I believe it will arrive today now! Monday.
Everyone here will be the first to know Immediately on arrival.
I will have to upload to youtubey, and post the link here.

I promise it will be really worth the wait.

I hate waiting. I would rather folk say "it will be there in two weeks" and it actually is.
Then, "it will be there tommorrow" and it isnt.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Becca, I LOVED the Leonard Cohen! A favorite of mine. Thanks!

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Good morning everyone! I never paid much attention to tango music. However, Gotan Project caught my attention with it's fusion of Tango and other music styles. Here's an example

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Here's one one more from Gotan Project.

That is all from me. I'm off to the realities of house cleaning and piano practice. BTW, I'm rehearsing for my first piano gig since high school. I've agreed to perform a piano solo at a community open mic. Off I go! Have a great day everyone!

Carl

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
OH, I love tangos! I recall my mom and dad dancing a good Argentinean tango many years ago....
thanks for posting-

-the Beatles

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Ah Griffin, I've loved Gotan since the first album, and play that one a lot. (There's something about first albums - the ones that mark a new thing, a different direction in music, a line in the sand.)

I find Gotan Project is music that appeals a lot to a very broad range of people, from grandmothers to cool younger friends. It always works when having all kinds of people around to the house at the same time.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
Page 202 of 370 1 2 200 201 202 203 204 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission