2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I came across this fine resource by pianist/teacher Valery Lloyd Watts that's freely available on the web:
Mastering the Piano Manual.
I'm still browsing through it but it looks like it could be quite useful for both teachers and students.

The chapters include:
The Music Learning Cycle
Teaching Strategies
Technical Regime for Pianists
The Business and Professional Aspects of Running a Studio
Teaching Procedures

The teaching procedures section includes "technical facilitators" and practice tips for repertoire up to Level 7 (e.g. Liebestraum #3).

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
I came across this fine resource by pianist/teacher Valery Lloyd Watts that's freely available on the web:
Mastering the Piano Manual.
I'm still browsing through it but it looks like it could be quite useful for both teachers and students.

The chapters include:
The Music Learning Cycle
Teaching Strategies
Technical Regime for Pianists
The Business and Professional Aspects of Running a Studio
Teaching Procedures

The teaching procedures section includes "technical facilitators" and practice tips for repertoire up to Level 7 (e.g. Liebestraum #3).

Thank you for sharing this.

From a cursory glance, I find that there may be some useful tips for lesson plans and other topics. But her technique ideas are contrary to what I consider to be a healthy approach, as far as I can tell from her description.

She talks about strengthening the muscles of the wrist and forearm for endurance and about independence of fingers. We don't work to develop muscles in the same way a weight lifter does, for physical strength. We train for coordination. The fingers are not independent units, but we can make them sound that way. Just mentioning Leschetitzky makes my blood run cold. And beware the "flexible" wrist notion. I don't know what she means, really, but if it's a "broken" wrist, stay away from it. In order to make use of the forearm rotation, which is a natural movement, the wrist needs to be more or less like a bridge between hand and forearm. Of course, everything is flexible, never rigid.

There are many approaches to technique that can probably produce good musical results. But I'm on a crusade (can you tell?) to nudge people in the direction of a healthy approach, using the body the way it was designed to be used. So, if you use this material (and it may in fact be useful), carefully evaluate the technical suggestions before assigning them.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission