2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,276 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 101 of 341 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Wow Scott, we can't beat a video. That's commitment thumb

However, please check as the links don't work. It asks me to login.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta
I just uploaded two videos of Stella I made this morning. (see below)
The first is just the head. I've been trying out some block chords and a rubato approach. Not sure if I like it though.

The second video is just improv. I've been trying to incorporate triad pairs in my lines. It holds together pretty well for about a minute and then I lose it. Oh well!

Beatrice is a nice tune. I used to play it with the Ron Baxter 4tet. I'll get into again and see what I can come up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii3kFhKHsjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAth95U0jCY

Oops... had it set up wrong. The links should work now.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Excellent Scott! First of all the camera angle is fantastic for studying your voicings. The solo intro had lots of great ideas there. I'll have to watch a few times more. There were many interesting voicings there.

Your improv was wonderful. Very intervallic style which I like a lot. I'll probably have more comments as I watch it a few times. It's really different when using video.

Don't worry about having a finished product type of recording. That's not for this thread. We're into one take with all the flubs smile

How did you record this BTW? I can see the little tripod.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks jazzwee! Let me know if you have any questions about anything I'm playing.

Here's a picture of how I setup the camcorder. It's pretty ugly!

http://www.box.net/shared/bbf13ri96a

I already had the webcam attached to the music stand to test out teaching over Skype. Then I just leaned the camcorder over and balanced it there! I had to use movie maker to flip the image around the right way. Hopefully I'll figure out something better sometime.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks jazzwee! Let me know if you have any questions about anything I'm playing.

I already had the webcam attached to the music stand to test out teaching over Skype. Then I just leaned the camcorder over and balanced it there! I had to use movie maker to flip the image around the right way. Hopefully I'll figure out something better sometime.

OMG! That's pretty complex. I knew it couldn't be that easy.

Yeah I was analyzing the beginning portion and you had some voicing for the A7 that appeared to have both an 11 and a #11. the #11 being the bottom note. That was interesting.

Then at first I was confused with the Cm7 in bar 4, but then I realized you immediately went to F7b9 which changed the sound.

This tune is really neat because there's so much you can do.

I have to go slowly as the stuff moves very quickly. You have a very adept LH btw with those arpeggios on E-m7b5.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

that's somethin' else!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Yeah I was analyzing the beginning portion and you had some voicing for the A7 that appeared to have both an 11 and a #11. the #11 being the bottom note. That was interesting.

Then at first I was confused with the Cm7 in bar 4, but then I realized you immediately went to F7b9 which changed the sound.

This tune is really neat because there's so much you can do.

I have to go slowly as the stuff moves very quickly. You have a very adept LH btw with those arpeggios on E-m7b5.

Are you looking at the head? I think we must be understanding the changes differently because I'm not sure what A7 with an 11 and #11 you're looking at confused Also not sure about the left hand Em7b5...maybe if you give me the times on the video I can clarify?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I used to practice alot with the metronome and found that even though I could stay with it overall, I was missing the pocket.... Professor Ron Carter (not the famous bass player) taught me the concept of doodle tonguing, which really helps with getting the feel.

Scott, I'm not sure how doodle tonguing helped you on the piano. You really ought to have some sort of key coatings for that, otherwise it'll start to develop mold between the keys.

But seriously, since doodle tonguing (as I understand it) is saying "Da dle, di dle, do dle instead of ta ta ta ta ta ta " while playing to articulate notes faster on wind instruments, I'm not sure how you benefited from this. Was it the idea of 'Da' being strong and 'dle' being weak? Or?

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
Scott, I'm not sure how doodle tonguing helped you on the piano. You really ought to have some sort of key coatings for that, otherwise it'll start to develop mold between the keys.

But seriously, since doodle tonguing (as I understand it) is saying "Da dle, di dle, do dle instead of ta ta ta ta ta ta " while playing to articulate notes faster on wind instruments, I'm not sure how you benefited from this. Was it the idea of 'Da' being strong and 'dle' being weak? Or?

Very funny laugh. Yeah, it is mostly for wind instruments but it does help get the feel of how things get articulated... weak, strong, long, short, etc. I was particularly enlightened by the triplet subdivision. Here's the overview of the approach:

http://www.box.net/shared/pltff0yaae

In the explanation it says "doo-od-le" but in practice it really sounds more like "doo-duh-luh". It has to roll smoothly. I've learned to hear that in my mind and feel it when I'm playing swing and it helps me lock into the groove.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Scott it was the first two chords. It seemed like some extra figure that you used again later so it seemed to be an insert in the regular changes. On one the bottom note was Eb and then I saw a D up higher.

Since the first two chords are E-7b5 A7b9, I just figured it was a voicing for that.

BTW - I just stepped to the piano for a moment and your voicing ideas gave me ideas for myself on how to spread out some of those chords.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy

Very funny laugh. Yeah, it is mostly for wind instruments but it does help get the feel of how things get articulated... weak, strong, long, short, etc. I was particularly enlightened by the triplet subdivision. Here's the overview of the approach:

http://www.box.net/shared/pltff0yaae

In the explanation it says "doo-od-le" but in practice it really sounds more like "doo-duh-luh". It has to roll smoothly. I've learned to hear that in my mind and feel it when I'm playing swing and it helps me lock into the groove.

Hey, I just tried it out, and wow it completely changes how I play. I didn't read all of the article yet, but can really see how thinking about doo duh luh gives a different pulse and swing than when I don't think about it.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
A good jazz drummer is supposed to imply that triplet feel. Which reminds me of our jam drummer. Doesn't swing and it affects the way I play.

BTW - Scott, you got learn from Prof. Ron Carter?

I watched him in a Marsalis movie on Jazz bands doing the Ellington Competition. Really good stuff. That's really great training. Here in the west coast, there's less focus on the swing. You were lucky to experience that.

Last edited by jazzwee; 01/13/11 08:00 PM.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Scott it was the first two chords. It seemed like some extra figure that you used again later so it seemed to be an insert in the regular changes. On one the bottom note was Eb and then I saw a D up higher.

Since the first two chords are E-7b5 A7b9, I just figured it was a voicing for that.

BTW - I just stepped to the piano for a moment and your voicing ideas gave me ideas for myself on how to spread out some of those chords.

Ok, I see it now. On the second chord it looks like I'm playing Eb with my left hand 5 finger. I'm actually not playing that key. What I'm doing there is doubling the melody note A on the bottom with my LH thumb. That's the general approach that I take to the melody... doubling the melody on the bottom and filling in harmony in the middle.

When you get some voicings worked out I'd like to see them.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah, Ron Carter is the head of the jazz program at Northern Illinois where I did my graduate degree. I took several classes with him. I was definitely lucky to have such good teachers there, not to mention other students who were kickin' my butt! My private weekly piano lessons were with Willie Pickens. He was really great and helped me alot. If you haven't heard him play here's a video from when he played with Elvin Jones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvzDXhhrpgI

And a couple other interesting videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezzwbKPswzU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS2HWLZpvbI

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes Jaki was outlining the chords.

Actually no, he was playing scales that fell outside of the chords as if the chords were stand alone objects. For example I think he may have used for example the note 'B or Cb' in a scale function (rather than a passing chromatic tone between two scale notes) when playing the Gbmaj chord, but this is really a poor choice given that the melody has a C in it and the Gbmaj chord is probably closer to a Gbmaj#11 as Sam plays it (given that it is Sam's tune).

I know there are no hard and fast rules concerning all of this, but to my ears Jaki was playing the changes without proper attention to the function of the changes. And that's what, IMHO, makes the tune difficult-- to make musical sense of the chords as a continuous flow rather than isolated scales that don't have any relation to each other.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Some specific questions on Beatrice...

The questions are related to the function of D- and A-. The key of the tune is in Bb but of course the D- and A- are clearly not ii chords. So I'm trying to determine if they should be iii or vi. For he D-, I've been moving around both. For the A-, I'm treating it as a iii.

These tunes require a little bit of analysis since the function is vague.

What have you guys been doing here?

BTW - I play GbMaj7#11 and EbMaj#11 as it happens to be the chords on iRealBook. It's in the melody so this has to be the correct one. I noticed that a lot of Fakebooks just assume the #11 in many tunes since you'd think Lydian anyway on a standalone major chord. But it's clearer with the #11 stated.

The melody gives a pretty good guide on how to solo on this IMHO. So I've already done a run through and I'd like to change some of my first try approaches.

EDIT - it appears that this question is related to your Jaki Byard comment. Unless you had time to analyze this, the scale attached to the chords are not entirely clear. So it suggests that someone laid the changes on them just before recording. Or didn't do their homework.

Last edited by jazzwee; 01/13/11 10:25 PM.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Some specific questions on Beatrice...

The questions are related to the function of D- and A-. The key of the tune is in Bb but of course the D- and A- are clearly not ii chords.

It's hard to go further if you are thinking the tune is in Bb. It should be in F, which makes the Dm and Am the respective vi and iii.

So the question becomes not really what to do on these chords, but the ones attached to them (Ebmaj and Bbmaj) I'd agree that the Ebmaj is a #11 and then so is the Bbmaj too. Even though you might look at the Bb and say it's in F maj (IV) it really isn't functioning that way.

Not sure if i have the definitions right but I'd say the Ebmaj, Bbmaj, and the Gbmaj are all some type of upper auxiliary or non functioning chord ( is that the term) Scott went to school for this so I'll bet he knows what they're called.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

EDIT - it appears that this question is related to your Jaki Byard comment. Unless you had time to analyze this, the scale attached to the chords are not entirely clear. So it suggests that someone laid the changes on them just before recording. Or didn't do their homework.

It's almost as if someone else had pointed this out on this very thread... wink

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
No sorry Scep, I meant the KEY SIGNATURE of the lead sheet.

Do you interpret those minor chords as F?

EDIT - we keep editing our posts so it's confusing.

So OK I understand what you mean about the Major chords. I used the term stand-alone as that is my perception of them. The term is "non-functional progression" I believe.

And I've interpreted them as vi and iii so looks like we agree.

I can't a good groove in my lines playing this because I feel like it always takes an unexpected twist. So it needs to sink in more.

Last edited by jazzwee; 01/14/11 02:13 AM.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The second video is just improv. I've been trying to incorporate triad pairs in my lines. It holds together pretty well for about a minute and then I lose it. Oh well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAth95U0jCY

Hey Scott, where did you get the idea of using those triad pairs. It's a very familiar motif and it sounds really good.

You're just playing diatonically with the chord/scale right?

Last edited by jazzwee; 01/14/11 02:08 AM.

My Jazz Blog

Page 101 of 341 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission