Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
116 registered (Agfinguy, anamnesis, Al LaPorte, A Guy, 36251, 41 invisible), 1353 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1709223 - 07/07/11 05:12 PM Connecting DP to home hifi
thehorse Offline

Anyone done this?

My FP7F sounds great through headphones, but through the built in speakers it sounds a bit boxy and muffled (which is not surprising given their size)

I don't really have room for a set of monitors and wondered what it would sound like through my hifi (separates system of reasonable quality). Is anyone using their hifi and how does it sound. I read somewhere that the levels from a DP were lower than usual hifi components and as I would need around 8m of cable I might suffer a bit from noise.

Any thoughts?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1709226 - 07/07/11 05:20 PM Re: Connecting DP to home hifi [Re: thehorse]
RafaPolit Offline

Loc: Quito, Ecuador
I wrote here elsewhere that I used my FP-7F for a whole two days before going out and buying some studio monitors smile .

About the sound levels: besides the volume (which regulates the level on ALL outputs), there is a menu function labeled Master Gain that allows you to increase the output an extra +12db, so I think the levels should be enough. (Though its infuriating that you CANNOT save this setting so you will need to set it each time!)

About the length, that could be more of an issue... regretfully, the FP-7F does not have balanced outputs which would handle the noise a bit better. But cables should not be that expensive for you to test it and see if it works for you... the problem I see is that 8m of cables puts the speakers roughly 4m away from you, perhaps that is not an ideal situation frown . You will not be 'surrounded' by the sound, but listened to it as if you were playing a CD for background hearing. Have you considered some inexpensive (I won't say cheap, cause cheap will not do here) dedicated monitors for the Roland?

I got my M-Audio BX5a which can be bought in the US for $250, I paid $300 for them... they do the job quite well, I'm sure other brands will as well... Kurzweil has some active monitors for as low as $110 I believe.

Be sure to tell us what you decided and how it finally sounded smile

Rafa.

Edited by RafaPolit (07/07/11 05:25 PM)

#1709239 - 07/07/11 05:37 PM Re: Connecting DP to home hifi [Re: RafaPolit]
thehorse Offline

Thanks Rafa,

I don't mind paying for some monitors, it is more of a space issue (two small children to thanks for consuming every last square foot with toys and clutter) - I guess I'd have to put monitors on stands and then pull the piano out into the room taking up more space. I'm currently looking to move somewhere bigger but this could take 6-12months+. Out of interest how did you mount your monitors?

#1709249 - 07/07/11 05:53 PM Re: Connecting DP to home hifi [Re: thehorse]
piRround Offline

Loc: Yarmouth, Maine
Hi TheHorse

I used a set of very old Realistic floor speakers for a few months. I had a Pioneer receiver and ran the piano into the tape deck and the speakers of course ran out from the receiver. It actually worked well given the age of the system and I had no issues with humming or feedback or hissing or anything. I've since gotten rid of those (space issues!!) and now have a pair of monitors, although you're right—they take up about as much room as the old speakers did anyway. But maybe you could put a shelf on the wall and put your speakers there?

#1709290 - 07/07/11 06:56 PM Re: Connecting DP to home hifi [Re: piRround]
thehorse Offline

Thanks Sandy,

My Hifi is already taking up space, so it makes some sense to use it. I've got Dali lektor Speakers and a NAD amp, which together would cost around £550($900 in USD),so curious how this would compare to some $3-400 monitors.

I would have to move the piano into the living room to make use of the hifi which might be a squeeze though, so it might just be better to wait until I move to a bigger place.

Dan

#1709299 - 07/07/11 07:13 PM Re: Connecting DP to home hifi [Re: thehorse]
RafaPolit Offline

Well, its nowhere near ideal, but I did exactly what piRround suggested: a shelf on the wall for both speakers AND DP:

The keyboard is about 2" lower than my piano, so I need to purchase a new stool or raise everything those 2 inches (that's the advantage of this modular rails!).

The monitors are, per the book, too close to my actual position, but, due to space limitations, I have no other option. If anyone has any suggestions, they are more than welcome!!!

Rafa.

Edited by RafaPolit (07/07/11 07:13 PM)

#1709315 - 07/07/11 07:40 PM Re: Connecting DP to home hifi [Re: thehorse]
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Looks pretty good Rafa, plus you score extra marks for showing PW on one of the LCDs!

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1709354 - 07/07/11 08:41 PM Re: Connecting DP to home hifi [Re: thehorse]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: thehorse
Anyone done this?

My FP7F sounds great through headphones, but through the built in speakers it sounds a bit boxy and muffled (which is not surprising given their size)

I don't really have room for a set of monitors and wondered what it would sound like through my hifi (separates system of reasonable quality). Is anyone using their hifi and how does it sound. I read somewhere that the levels from a DP were lower than usual hifi components and as I would need around 8m of cable I might suffer a bit from noise.

Any thoughts?

I think normal HiFi equipment works better then those self powered studio monitors for piano. Well better if the goal is to emulate an acoustic piano. The monitors are best for editing and mixing. But in order to work you need to have the stereo speakers positioned correctly. They need to be near the piano to sound like the music is coming from the piano.

One thing to try is to run both sets of speakers, those built-into the piano and the stereo speakers. Experiments with the relative volume. It may not take much from the built-in speakers to give the illusion the entire sound is coming from them. It all depends on your room and geometry

Electrically 8M of line level interconnect cable is not a lot. Get good cables, not expensive cables but just cables with a real shield braid and decent size conductors. If noise is an issue because of florescent lights or whatever you can address that later the same way some one on stage would addrees the problem (DI box, balanced lines,..) but I doubt you will have a problem. try not to use cable adapters. You can buy cables with the correct ends from a reputable reseller. Likely 1/4" phone to RCA.

#1710081 - 07/09/11 06:48 AM Re: Connecting DP to home hifi [Re: thehorse]
RafaPolit Offline

Thanks James,

Yeah, I read theHorse's post and went right to photograph the room... so PW on one monitor and Sonar on the other smile . It may not look like so, but all those jars on the top shelf are actually carefully placed for good resonance and reflections with the Monitors smile

Rafa.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
The February 2015 Issue of our Free Piano News Newsletter is out now! FREE Piano Newsletter
--------------------
The best thing I've learned on Piano World....
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
(ad) Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Online Lessons
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Acoustical Piano Actions vs High End Digital Piano Action
by LarryMan
02/28/15 08:07 AM
Acoustical Piano Actions vs High End Digital Piano Action
by LarryMan
02/28/15 08:05 AM
USB Audio interface for digital piano recording
by WeeFeeri
02/28/15 07:08 AM
Gabriela Montero - Improvisation - "Nosferatu" film score
by pv88
02/28/15 05:35 AM
Airport piano
by PhilipInChina
02/28/15 03:22 AM
Forum Stats
78,328 Registered Members
43 Forums
161,901 Topics
2,377,722 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission