Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
133 registered (anamnesis, Albert Brighten, accordeur, Albunea, 32 invisible), 1580 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#1710983 - 07/10/11 09:12 PM Technician's Perspective - Grey-Market Yamahas
pianoeagle Offline

Loc: Texas
I have a couple new students starting soon, and their parents are planning to purchase pianos. Being a staunch Yamaha fan, I have highly recommended that the parents purchase Yamaha pianos. The drawback to this is that the price for used Yamaha pianos in my area has increased since the tsunami, since there are fewer Japanese pianos in inventory - at least, this is what the sales rep at one of the local dealers told me. The cost of new Yamaha is too high for my new students.

Some of the local dealers (including the Steinway dealer) sell grey-market Yamahas, obviously at pretty attractive prices. The parents have inquired about these models (not having been told by the dealer that they're grey-market), and I'm unsure how best to address. Surely the cost difference makes these pianos more attractive, but I'm unsure of what the long-term disadvantages of using a grey market piano here in the U.S. are.

Can you shed some light on this? We live in a hot, very humid climate. I've read several contrasting articles regarding the effects - some saying that the pianos are of the same quality, some saying that parts are not readily available in the U.S., etc. Thanks!

(ad 568) PTG Convention 2015 Denver
PTG Convention July 15 to 18 Denver
#1710993 - 07/10/11 09:32 PM Re: Technician's Perspective - Grey-Market Yamahas [Re: pianoeagle]
accordeur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
Encourage the parents to do their research, recommend a good tech. The piano market is very volatile right now, lots of opportunities.

The word "staunch" in this market is not a good idea for your students. Yamaha makes a fine piano, no doubt.

If the parents of your students are serious, they will research. That also means that they are willing to provide a piano worthy of their kid's music lessons. Win win.

Piano teachers are often the most.....

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#1711213 - 07/11/11 08:56 AM Re: Technician's Perspective - Grey-Market Yamahas [Re: pianoeagle]
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
Research the Indonesian made Kawai pianos. They are a good value.

#1711564 - 07/11/11 07:18 PM Re: Technician's Perspective - Grey-Market Yamahas [Re: pianoeagle]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: pianoeagle
Some of the local dealers (including the Steinway dealer) sell grey-market Yamahas, obviously at pretty attractive prices. The parents have inquired about these models (not having been told by the dealer that they're grey-market), and I'm unsure how best to address. Surely the cost difference makes these pianos more attractive, but I'm unsure of what the long-term disadvantages of using a grey market piano here in the U.S. are.

Can you shed some light on this? We live in a hot, very humid climate. I've read several contrasting articles regarding the effects - some saying that the pianos are of the same quality, some saying that parts are not readily available in the U.S., etc.

For the words gray-market read used.

These are used pianos. They come from Japan (primarily) and they have all of the uncertainties of used pianos anywhere. Some of them have been heavily used, others not so much. Some of them have had some factory-like reconditioning. That is, they are sent to shops in some Asian country where they are repaired, reconditioned, rebuilt, refinished or whatevered. Some of this work has been done well, some has not. As a consumer you have no way of determining the condition of a used Yamaha—or any other used piano! The dealer will probably not be able to tell you anything of the history of these pianos; the dealer will probably know nothing of their provenance. Still, the buyer is at the mercy of the dealer so unless the buyer knows the dealer and has great confidence in the dealers ability and willingness to stand behind the piano the buyer should always—always—have the piano examined by a qualified technician not associated with the dealer (publically or privately) before signing on the dotted line.

Yamaha has decided that it will not support any used Yamaha pianos that were not originally sold in North America. This sounds like a bigger deal than it actually is. The parts that commonly wear out on pianos are readily available from aftermarket suppliers; often, as in the case of hammers, with components that outperform the originals. As far as I know Kawai has not taken this position and is willing to back up their pianos regardless of where they were originally sold.

ddf

Edited by Del (07/11/11 07:20 PM)
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#1711633 - 07/11/11 09:57 PM Re: Technician's Perspective - Grey-Market Yamahas [Re: pianoeagle]
pianoeagle Offline

Loc: Texas
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the information. I will look into the Indonesian-made Kawai pianos as well.

#1711809 - 07/12/11 07:00 AM Re: Technician's Perspective - Grey-Market Yamahas [Re: pianoeagle]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
My understanding is that "gray market" pianos are NEW pianos that are not sold by an authorized dealer, causing legal implication regarding warranties, etc.

#1711834 - 07/12/11 08:02 AM Re: Technician's Perspective - Grey-Market Yamahas [Re: pianoeagle]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
The (used) grey market Yamaha's here in our area are hit and miss as far as condition goes. One dealer here that moves a large quantity of them refuses to sell them unless the tuning pins and strings are changed out. For this work the consumer is paying $2500-3500 more for the same piano but ends up getting a 10 year warranty instead of the usual 3-5 year warranty.

As a tech, I have often checked over grey market pianos for customers at the cost of about a tuning and this is cheap insurance on a typically $4K + piano. Rusty strings and loose pinblocks are common, actions often need regulating and sometimes some sound board issues/sticking keys ect...

There are some gems to be had among the rough ones but I find that most of the grey market pianos are well used and didn't sit in living rooms as furniture like many of the pianos here in N.A.

#1711905 - 07/12/11 10:51 AM Re: Technician's Perspective - Grey-Market Yamahas [Re: pianoeagle]
David, Las Vegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
The Gray Market pianos have a bad reputation here in the desert. Soundboards, pin blocks and most other components degrade in the dry environment. I'm sure a more humid location would be better.
1931 Mason Hamlin AA

#1711915 - 07/12/11 11:21 AM Re: Technician's Perspective - Grey-Market Yamahas [Re: Loren D]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Loren D
My understanding is that "gray market" pianos are NEW pianos that are not sold by an authorized dealer, causing legal implication regarding warranties, etc.

While I have encountered one dealer who was presenting “gray market” pianos as new, a casual examination indicated that they were, in fact, reconditioned used pianos. I’m not aware of any “gray market” pianos—when the phrase is used in its most common form—that are actually new pianos.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

Moderator:  Piano World 
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Those with Roland KSC-44 stands (for FP4, FP7, etc)
by DeadPoets
07/07/15 11:45 AM
Cory Hall (BachScholar) appears to be in legal trouble!
by schubert960
07/07/15 10:05 AM
If anybody still needs studio monitors
by Cue Zephyr
07/07/15 05:59 AM
Keeping track of students' motivation
by Arghhh
07/07/15 02:56 AM
Kawai-CA 97 (SHS) headphone question
by Gatsbee13
07/07/15 12:42 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,888 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,357 Topics
2,424,799 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission