2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1712709 07/13/11 04:05 PM
OP Offline
I know that temperature and humidity (or non) can wear away a piano. )Our next piano will have a humidifier in it. (I will research those once I find the piano.) Our living room is small. We have two outer walls (probably not insulated much), one has a fireplace in it (Wish I had the funds to get rid of it. All it does is make us freeze in the winter due to the grate, not the flue.) And one inner wall, where we have the piano. Opposite the piano is the swamp cooler spot. The humid-ish air blows directly at the piano. Since all the innards are contained in the case, is that an issue or not?

Christine *mom* to
5 daughters, 2 sons
*1912 Lindman Player-Piano*
1906 Chickering Quarter Grand
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Christine,

A swamp cooler is basically an evaporative cooler/air conditioner (adds moisture to hot, dry air and it evaporates quickly creating a cooling effect… been around for thousands of years).

However, I would say it is certainly NOT good for your piano to be in too close a proximity to the swamp cooler. Some of the humidity might be good for the piano, but too much will be detrimental.

I suggest getting a temperature/humidity gauge and place it near the piano to keep a check on the relative humidity in the room. It would be nice if you could move the piano further away from the swamp cooler itself.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The issue is the humidity of the air around the piano. Any humidity near it is going to get in, unless the piano is sealed inside a glass jar. Your humidity should be kept in a moderate range if possible (40 to 50 percent is ideal) but stability is probably even more important than the range. (i.e. if your humidity keeps swinging back and forth then you are going to have more problems than if it stays in one place.)

Worst = wild fluctuations
Second-worst = consistently very high or very low
Best = stable and moderate

Minor fluctuations in humidity are unavoidable without exotic equipment. Keeping it reasonable is the main thing.

OP Offline
It's very dry here, so dry that we can cool the house (or parts of it) by adding humidity. We do not run the swamp cooler all the day long all summer, but more like 4-8 hours on many days throughout the summer. Is a swamp cooler that much of an issue? It might add 10% humidity. The thing is that the air blows toward the piano.

Christine *mom* to
5 daughters, 2 sons
*1912 Lindman Player-Piano*
1906 Chickering Quarter Grand
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A simple Google of "swamp cooler" + "piano" renders a bunch of information: swamp coolers and pianos

C
C
A swamp cooler blowing directly on a piano sounds like a VERY bad idea to me. The area closest to your swamp cooler will have the greatest and most rapid fluctuations of humidity and temperature in your home. You want the LEAST and most gradual fluctuations in humidity for your piano. You live in an EXTREMELY dry environment and the relative humidity will jump by far more than %10 directly in front of your evaporative cooler.

Mason & Hamlin A
Baldwin SF-10

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission