Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1712956 - 07/14/11 12:51 AM What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10
sinopiano Offline

I found a local dealer that carries Kawai DPs and asked them to quote the MP10 for me two weeks ago. A salesman made two phone calls to me. The first time the salesman told me it's 2500 CAD + tax including a stand and a bench, I complained about the tax and told him I'll think about it.

The second time the same saleman told me he talked to his manager and they might cover part of the tax. He also asked me to drop by the store today because both he and his manager would be there.

Today I took half day off travelled a long way to the store, only to find his manager wasn't there. The salesman told me they couldn't neither cover any tax, nor bring the price down. What was worse, they no longer offer the bench and the stand!

I'm not good at bargain. Is this a trick that dealers usually play? Should I still buy from them?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1712959 - 07/14/11 01:08 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Iowa, USA
No, don't buy a thing from them.

#1713025 - 07/14/11 04:01 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
sinopiano Offline

Can't believe they don't keep their word. They are the only official dealer of Kawai in BC.

#1713039 - 07/14/11 04:32 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
escape Offline

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: sinopiano
I'm not good at bargain. Is this a trick that dealers usually play? Should I still buy from them?

It is possible that he thought that if he had you travel all the way there you would feel compelled to buy.

Bargaining does work, especially if they think you are ready to buy and they believe that you have other options. You can call them and make a counteroffer. Just talk about the final (tax included price), start from what you consider fair and subtract 100-200 CAD, then let them pretend it is impossible for a bit.

Personally, after that stunt I would be sceptical about buying from them just in case their after sales service is like that too.

#1713065 - 07/14/11 05:50 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: AlphaTerminus]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: AlphaTerminus
Agreed.

Anyone can lie to me once.
They won't get a second chance.

#1713076 - 07/14/11 06:44 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: MacMacMac]
Cohenfan Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
Originally Posted By: AlphaTerminus
Agreed.

Anyone can lie to me once.
They won't get a second chance.

+2

Stay away from that place.

#1713124 - 07/14/11 09:49 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
bfb Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
i agree that the tactics are deplorable- particularly since the USD has been weakening against the CAD this month (make that this decade- no wonder y'all are buying up all of arizona...). musiciansfriend.com lists MP10 at $2499 USD. exchange rate for is 1.04+ USD for CAD 1.0..so that's about CAD 2400?ish... musiciansfriend ships to Canada-why don't you see what you can do online?.. or work out the deal online and print it out and then call the idior err.. salesman back and make him match it. does Canada tax internet purchases?

main problem is the board is brand new and there isn't a lot of inventory out there yet - so its hard to have any leverage over someone who actually has one to sell

anyway, everything in life is negotiable.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1713125 - 07/14/11 09:50 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
They sound terrible, the problem with Kawai is they have fewer dealers and if your local dealer is a bad one they have no incentive to improve because of the lack of competition.
I'd be looking to buy online, choose a store with a good return policy.

#1713199 - 07/14/11 11:44 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
10fingers Offline

Loc: CA
What the salesman did was unethical and duplicitous. Don't reward bad behaviour by going back to him.

Perhaps Kawa James can suggest a remedy. I would look online if there really is no other Kawai dealer in the vicinity.

#1713474 - 07/14/11 07:12 PM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: 10fingers
Perhaps Kawa James can suggest a remedy.

This matter is between the customer and the dealer - I don't believe it's necessary for Kawai (either Japan or America) to get involved.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1713509 - 07/14/11 08:52 PM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Today I took half day off travelled a long way to the store, only to find his manager wasn't there. The salesman told me they couldn't neither cover any tax, nor bring the price down. What was worse, they no longer offer the bench and the stand!

Some of Kawai's products are only sold by dealers. The MP10 is not one of those. So there is no reason to bother with those people. Buy it on-line and have it shipped to you.

That "I have to ask my manager" scam is the oldest salesman trick in the book. He knows perfectly well what he can do. But every used car salesman pulls it. The point is to make it seem like he is on your side.

#1713516 - 07/14/11 09:08 PM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
Marlowe221 Offline

I haven't bought a DP (yet...) but I HAVE bought a lot of acoustic guitars over the years - some of them in the $2000 range.

If that happened to me I would definitely buy from someplace else, wouldn't matter if I were after a $100 Ibanez or a $2000 Martin.

#1714253 - 07/16/11 12:55 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
sinopiano Offline

The salesman called me back, he said they will stay firmly on that price, and not offer the stand. He let me think about it and call them if I still wanna order from them.

I feel they do not care about this customer anymore.

I'll browse some online stores now

#1714333 - 07/16/11 07:31 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: ChrisA]
bfb Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
Originally Posted By: ChrisA
[quote=sinopiano].....

That "I have to ask my manager" scam is the oldest salesman trick in the book. He knows perfectly well what he can do. But every used car salesman pulls it. The point is to make it seem like he is on your side.

its called "buying a car".

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#1714534 - 07/16/11 03:14 PM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
10fingers Offline

You've got it. Do not patronize this business.

#1714830 - 07/17/11 01:14 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
dewar Offline

The salesman called me back, he said they will stay firmly on that price, and not offer the stand. He let me think about it and call them if I still wanna order from them.

I'll browse some online stores now

pfft I'd tell em where to stick his offer. Kraft gives ya a whole bundle of crap for a buck with their stuff.
http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/keyboards/88keykeyboards/index.asp?product=8641

Granted it's not a great bench but at least it's something to sit on. It's not the internet and big chains that kill businesses. It's poor hire choices.

#1714876 - 07/17/11 04:16 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Wow, that's a great deal for just $1 extra.

James
x

#1716067 - 07/19/11 12:39 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: dewar]
sinopiano Offline

Thank you for your information! I'll contact them to see if they can make it shipped to Canada.

#1716094 - 07/19/11 01:24 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
HwyStar Offline

That is an excellent deal. I hope they can do that for you!

#1716748 - 07/19/11 09:12 PM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
sinopiano Offline

Kraftmusic says they cannot do international business. I have no choice now.

#1716771 - 07/19/11 09:51 PM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
RafaPolit Offline

Loc: Quito, Ecuador
Welcome to the party Sinopiano! I know too well what it's like to have zero options... and now a days its even more frustrating. 15 years ago I knew our market and stock was very limited, but it was a theoretical knowledge... these days you see all the wonderful online purchasing options others have and we get stuck with local availability.

And you are in Canada! Imagine how it works on Ecuador smile . I really lucked out this time with my purchase as the place I bought mine is the only Roland distributor for the ENTIRE country! and carried a single unit (in floor display for less than a week) of the FP-7F. I took the liberty to contact Kawai James to check out local options and the closest one was a 30 hour car ride in a different country!

Sorry though that you had to face a sour store with gray moral values in terms of salesmanship. Hope you at least get to resolve the issue and end up, even after some bitter taste, with a beautiful DP with you. Best regards,

Rafa.

#1716849 - 07/19/11 11:46 PM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Sweetwater do ship to Canada and will price match

#1716868 - 07/20/11 12:20 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Maybe so, but I doubt they'll throw in all that extra gear for a $1.

James
x

#1716916 - 07/20/11 01:10 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
10fingers Offline

My brother lives in BC, and he uses a service just over the US border that receives shipments for Canadians wishing to shop in American internet stores. I imagine such options exist all along the border. By brother just pops over to Bellingham, or somewhere, picks up his gear and takes it back over the border (and pays any import duties).

#1716920 - 07/20/11 01:12 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
10fingers Offline

So what I forgot to say in my rushed post was, you could either have Kraft send it to one of these places, or shop at Sweetwater. Apart form the piano stand, I think you'll find the Kraft gear pretty cheapo.

#1717076 - 07/20/11 09:03 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
Lefty Chev Offline

Loc: NY
Musicians Friend ships to Canada too. I'd just wait until they run another one of their 15% off sales and call them up and order.

#1717080 - 07/20/11 09:13 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
bmbutler Offline

Loc: North Carolina
It's a trick called bait and switch. Happens very often at car dealers.
Church Musician since 1983

#1717251 - 07/20/11 01:36 PM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
macbug Offline

Loc: Vancouver
I live in Vancouver and I got my MP6 from KraftMusic by shipping it to Point Roberts Washington and driving across the border to pick it up. I called the only authorized Kawai dealer in town and they gave me a standard MSRP quote and at that price I could get FP7-F for cheaper locally. I bought this bundle http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/keyboards/88keykeyboards/index.asp?product=8534

though I did have to pay 12% HST when I carried it across the border unfortunately, but that's still 500 dollars cheaper than I would've paid in Canada.

#1717737 - 07/21/11 03:53 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: macbug]
sinopiano Offline

Thanks for the information. I thought about that before, the problem is I have to get a US visa first. (I'm in Canada only for 11 month). My classmate says now the earliest day you can book for a visa interview is Aug 18th. Way too complicated.

And I'm sure we contacted the same local dealer (the one owned by a bunch of Chinese ppl).

#1717742 - 07/21/11 04:12 AM Re: What kind of trick is this store playing? Trying to get MP10 [Re: sinopiano]
sinopiano Offline

Thanks for being so thoughful about my situation, guys. I really appreciated it.

The other online dealers that you mentioned has the same price as my crappy local dealer. But I don't think they'll offer free shipping and a stool.

Asking Kraftmusician to ship to the boarder would be a nice option only if I had a US visa. And it is even more difficult than normal Chinese passport holders since I'm doing a Chemistry PhD here.

So I shall either contact the local dealer again or give up MP10. Thinking optimistically, the local dealer offers a free stool and saves shipping cost, although they broke their word that they will offer a free stand and share some tax.

I just don't wanna deal with someone that I cannot trust and I'm sceptical about their after-sale service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
153 registered (ando, Adam Coleman, accordeur, 55 invisible), 1581 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153613 Topics
2251369 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
Home speakers for RD700NX: need help!
by PoleStar
04/20/14 05:32 PM
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
How did YOU get started on software pianos?
by doremi
04/20/14 03:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission