2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
I just purchased a Kawai CA-63 and absolutely love the sound when using headphones. However, I do not believe I can live with the sound I get through the external speakers. It just seems way over-the-top with vibration and resonance. I have tried various modifications without success, so far.

I am wondering if I might have better success by just purchasing a pair of additional speakers / monitors and plug them in to my Kawai and eliminate the Kawai speakers entirely.

And, if so ... what recommendations might you have for the speakers / monitors to purchase.

Thanks for any replies ...

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
C
C
I have a CA-93 and had significant resonance and vibration when I first got it. I moved it away from the wall about 16 cm and the problem went away. Hope this helps!

Yamaha YC88, Kawai CA93, Yamaha MODX8, EV ZXA1
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Of course, I have a CA-63 ... which is a whole different animal (no soundboard) but it is worth a try. I will move it completely away from the wall and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

I also seem to notice that the sound is less "tinny" when coming through the headphones. If I could get the headphone sound through the speakers it would be awesome.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
C
C
Yes, that's really the ultimate goal, but without some massive hi fi system it's hard to do - maybe impossible. Obviously, tweaking the EQ and the touch response can help things a bit. I've also seen other posts that suggest the sound dynamics of the room itself (in addition to the wall idea) can significantly affect the sound. The other thing that I've found is that the transition from headphones to speakers is disappointing, but once I play through the speakers for awhile, I adjust to the different sound.

Good luck

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Coker
Yes, that's really the ultimate goal, but without some massive hi fi system it's hard to do - maybe impossible. Obviously, tweaking the EQ and the touch response can help things a bit. I've also seen other posts that suggest the sound dynamics of the room itself (in addition to the wall idea) can significantly affect the sound. The other thing that I've found is that the transition from headphones to speakers is disappointing, but once I play through the speakers for awhile, I adjust to the different sound.

Good luck

I am wondering what you mean by MASSIVE HI FI SYSTEM. Does that mean that a pair of KRK Monitors will not be better than what I already have ?

Don

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
dmd, I've already confirmed in another topic that I am not satisfied with the sound from the speakers too. I love it with headphones though. In fact, I thought I had written my post in your topic here but due to the two topics on the main page with CA63 in the title I had mistakenly answered in the other one where the issue is more about resonances.

Anyway, I play mostly around midnight when the neighbours wouldn't allow me to play with speakers so it's not an urgent issue for me but I would still be interested in options to improve the sound with the speakers.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
C
C
SDmd - sorry about perhaps exaggerating with the "massive hi fi system." I actually tried some KRK6s, second generation, and was blown away by the sound at first. Then I noticed the bottom seemed just a tad muddy and concluded that getting sound as good as headphones at a reasonable price might be a tad elusive. Even my CA-93 was a compromise in sound. The sound is very good, but some really good powered monitors are probably better. I just didn't want the "dorm room" look that I had 35 years ago - all the wires, speakers, etc. - in my living room.

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
SDmd - sorry about perhaps exaggerating with the "massive hi fi system." I actually tried some KRK6s, second generation, and was blown away by the sound at first. Then I noticed the bottom seemed just a tad muddy and concluded that getting sound as good as headphones at a reasonable price might be a tad elusive. Even my CA-93 was a compromise in sound. The sound is very good, but some really good powered monitors are probably better. I just didn't want the "dorm room" look that I had 35 years ago - all the wires, speakers, etc. - in my living room.

Well, you know I am actually starting to catch on to the fine tuning of the sound on the CA-63. I am having some success with dual sounds where the two sounds are set as 1-9 with the 9 being a MELLOW sound. That and a HEAVY touch seem to quiet things down without it sounding muffled ... so I am encouraged, at this point, that I might be able to find something I can live with.

If not, I will certainly throw a couple of good monitors on it and see what happens. It only will cost "shipping" if it doesn't work.

Don

C
C
You might want to take a look at the other string that talks about various CA-93 settings. I assume they are also valid for the CA-63. Good luck!

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
You might want to take a look at the other string that talks about various CA-93 settings. I assume they are also valid for the CA-63. Good luck!

Yes, I have and they were helpful in my getting started with this.

I do now believe that, over time, I will develop a set of fine tunings which will suffice for my needs.

Thank Goodness !!! I was afraid I had purchased a fancy conversation piece.

Don

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd

Yes, I have and they were helpful in my getting started with this.
Thanks for your positive feedback. thumb

This is under the assumption that you guys are referring to this thread with specially developed CA93 and CA63 compatible dual voice mode presets (by the way, specific CA93 only presets are clearly marked): cool https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...0for%20KAWAI%20CA93/CA6.html#Post1448603

For convenience (but without background info), CA93/CA63 owners can easily download the entire CA93/CA63 presets list to be found at the bottom of the first post there. whistle

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by TADutchman
For convenience (but without background info), CA93/CA63 owners can easily download the entire CA93/CA63 presets list to be found at the bottom of the first post there. whistle

I have done that and the list is sitting on my CA-63 ready for reference. Very helpful. There appears to be considerable effort that went into that. A labor of love, I assume. smile

Don

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, I think I have reached a tuning position I can live with for the moment anyway. It is pretty simple, I like simple.

I will just put it out here for thoughts by whomever. Someone may have a suggestion or it may help someone with their tuning.

Here it is ..

Concert Grand
Low: -2 Mid: +5 High: +5

Damper Reso. 2
String Reso. 2
KeyOffEffect: 2
Touch: Heavy

Reverb: Room2 On

There you have it ... As you may notice, I do not like a lot of Dynamics and Resonance. I increased the MID and HIGH values to help get the melody to cut through the HEAVY touch setting. It seems to work. And I do not want the LOWs dominating, thus the reduced LOW.

Anyone with suggestions, I welcome other considerations.

Don

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
hmmm... weird setting, not my taste at all... But of course YMMV. Seems like you don't need any damper / resonance effects at all. Maybe you're more accustomed to a Yamaha sound, it's much more brilliant, and, if you don't turn on the resonance effect (a special knob) then you also have a quite "simple" (non-resonant) sound.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, sad to say I am back to square one.

I tried (and I am still trying) to find a way to adjust the sound I am getting on my CA-63 but I am coming to the conclusion that I just do not like the sound period. It is weird, because I have seen so much written about how "fantastic" the Kawai sound is. A very well respected instrument. I love it also, in every way EXCEPT the sound that comes out of it.

Now, my question to whomever is ...Is this fixable ? Is it possible to plug something into the LINE OUTS (L/R) that will give me a sound that I will like ?

The problem is, I do not even know how to describe the sound that I like. But I will try ... Clear, not buzzing, not muffled, Rich, Not tinny, not like a giant guitar.

I know I am not completely nuts on this because I have seen others who mention that they only play it with headphones and they know that without headphones the sound is not the best.

Again, is this fixable or would I probably just be pouring more money down the rathole ?

Don

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Don, the Kawai sound is good (technically speaking it's very good...), however the tonal character is not for everybody. If you've been playing a Clavinova for a number of years, it's possible that your ears are more 'tuned' towards the Yamaha sound.

The quality of the output that you are hearing could well be improved by using an external amplifier and speakers, however if you are not keen on the inherent character of the Kawai, I doubt you will ever be truly satisfied.

Do you find the sound to be agreeable when listening though a pair of good quality ($100+) headphones? If so, external amplification may be worth pursuing. If not, perhaps you may wish to consider alternative options from Roland or Yamaha, or possibly even a software (computer based) instrument such as Ivory.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
It's just a personal preference thing. I liked the CA63 quite a lot. I think you should start looking at what you want to trade it for. I think you've given it a good go, it's probably just not for you. When you first bought it, were you unconvinced?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
... Clear, not buzzing, not muffled, Rich, Not tinny, not like a giant guitar.

That's quite a challenging description, Don smile wink

After having a go at it, also listening to what you where trying to do in single voice mode, here's what I came up with in dual voice mode: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1714861.html#Post1714861

Do let me know your experiences with this preset, Don & other CA63 owners (and tell me which voicing you prefer)!

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
TA:

Thanks for the custom preset.

I went with Dual Balance 3-7

I tried 7-3 and found it to be too sharp / biting.

My voicing preference is either Mellow1 or Mellow2

This preset sounds pretty good with headphones but with speakers it sounds a little too muffled at times and is difficult to get any volume out of it. I have my master volume set at 50%. I understand that the muffled sound probably comes with less "RINGING".

I have saved it to my default memory so I can continue to play with it a modify various parts.

I wish I understood how all of these factors interact with one another. Then I might be able to make intelligent modifications instead of just blindly changing something and seeing what happens.

For example, I would have thought that raising the resonance values, as you have, would have added to the "ringing" effect that I am trying to quiet down. But it hasn't done that. You have apparently modified something else (probably the voicing) to keep that under control.

Since, you seem to have this stuff in your genes, you may wish to consider "teaching us to fish" instead of "feeding us". Just a thought ...

Thanks again for your effort to help.

Oh, as a final attempt to deal with this ...

I have a pair of Yamaha HS80M Studio Monitors on order. At least I am going to find out if that does anything.

After that, watch Craigslist for a bargain ... LOL ...

Don

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James
or possibly even a software (computer based) instrument such as Ivory.

Kind regards,
James
x

From what I have read about IVORY, etc ... I probably would love something like that. However, it appears that going in that direction involves a lot of complicated devices and/or great expense. If I could get IVORY into my piano for less than $1000 I would strongly consider it, but not $3000 or more.

Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission