2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Saul Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
Originally Posted by Saul
Wanna here something atonal and distant? its not that I cant compose differently...

Saul, this piece is not atonal. It is far more interesting to me, but like all your work it has a particular sound that goes on for too long until you get near the end and decide to change things up. I wish you would take the time to compose your pieces rather than improvising them. You would then have the opportunity to edit them down into more cohesive compositions. As it is this one is like most of your pieces, rambles for 3-4 minutes then you change things up and end it.

Regarding your comment tonal vs. atonal. It's not either/or, rather a continuum. It's very hard to compose a piece that's completely atonal because the human ear seeks order within chaos. That's why the tone row was invented, to organize the disruption of tonal references in music. I don't usually enjoy music that's completely atonal, but I've found great joy in stretching tonality and shifting tonal centers freely.

I fail to understand why you react so emotionally to negative comments. Everything voiced here is an opinion. It may be your opinion that your music is beautifully structured and cohesive. I'm telling you I don't hear it, I hear far too much repetition of insufficiently different ideas. That worked great for Satie and also for the minimalists, but my impression is that's not what you're going for. I'm actually trying to be helpful in offering my opinions. I understand that my suggestions are for you to alter your work methods. Getting out of your comfort zone is usually a good thing.

Blah blah blah...

The same thing all over again, you decide what is what, and that's that. This is atonal and this is not atonal, this people will enjoy and this will not...

Thank you Oh Yee Prophet of music...Mithrandir of the melody...

suit yourself. if you are comfortable composing music that is comparable to most 13 year old students, I suppose you are doing just fine. It is too bad that someone that seems to really enjoy composing is handicapping his ability to get better by assuming he knows everything, From the other thread, I suppose i understand that you aren't composing in hopes of a career so i suppose getting better is not so much a goal but rather to have fun with a hobby which is cool too. I just think you should be a little more respectful.

J
J
I must say, I quite enjoyed the 10 minutes I spent reading through this thread.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission