2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Whew! What a whirlwind of a week! Jean and I arrived in Kansas City on Sunday afternoon. Most mornings I was down in the lobby by 6:30 am (4:30 AM my time!) getting ready for the day: changing signs, making sure the rooms were ready for the instructors etc.

After 9 days we just arrived home a couple of hours ago. I'm exhausted but my mind has been churning with so all the ideas and information that I was immersed in.

It was great to see many old friends and familiar faces: even Jerry's! grin The only bummer was that being on the conference team didn't allow me to visit with people as much as I like. On the other hand, since I am Institute Director for next year's conference in Bellevue, WA I was able to connect of many of the instructors: Frank Emerson from Hailun, David Kirkland from Steinway, Bernhard Stopper, Roger Jolly, Don Mannino, Rick Baldassin, Norbert Abel, Michael Spreeman from Ravenscroft, to name a few. I felt I was walking amongst giants!

It was especially exciting to be there to congratulate Patrick on passing his last exam to become the only RPT in Finland! CONGRATULATIONS!!! thumb It was also wonderful to witness the friendship that developed between Bernhard Stopper, and Patrick.

Ron Berry started a page on the PTG website to start posting some pictures and highlights. It is at: http://convention.ptg.org/news/

For those who were not able to attend, I hope you will seriously consider coming to the conference next summer in Bellevue, Washington. I will do my best to put on a program that will be stimulating, challenging, and rewarding. Updates will follow...

I hope others will post their favorite things about the conference. Also feel free to post things that you thought could be better!

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ryan, I'm bummed I missed meeting you... I had a great time. My mind is still swimming...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I know what you mean! I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you too! We'll have to make it happen next year. By the way, could you send me a picture of you so I make sure I've got the right face with your name?

Glad you had a good time! I'm hoping next year will be even better!

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Ryan, thanks for the report. See you next year!

Zeno Wood, Piano Technician
Brooklyn College
Hey Zeno, should we drive to the conference next year? crazy

Keyboardist & Composer, Piano Technician
www.jamescarney.net
http://jamescarneypianotuning.wordpress.com/
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Better yet, walk! According to Google Maps it will only take 37 days 10 hours to walk the 2800 odd miles to Seattle from New York. Just be careful, the walking routes produced by Google Maps are still in beta...

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Biking would be better, but I'll be flying, along with the family. We have some non-piano friends (yes, really!) out there we'll be staying with.

Zeno Wood, Piano Technician
Brooklyn College
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hey Ryan, you STILL OWE ME A BEER! frown Meany! My avatar really does look like me when I fluff out my ears doesn't it???? LOL! smile

Patrick, it was great meeting you too! Congrats on passing the technical and becoming an RPT. Good job!

Twas great seeing you again too Ryan., now you owe me TWO beers for cheating me out of one this year. Ahhh, nooo, I don't want to hear your excuses.... smile Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, "I was busy!" cry

The classes were pretty good. I always love the business classes. I loved Jack Wyatt's business class. He asked everyone in the class including me, "what is the greatest hindrance to you making more money." My answer was, all of the technicians in this room and elsewhere that are afraid to and refuse to raise their rates to get paid what they should be paid. "Amen, Amen Amen!" He said. I laughed. He's still a feisty guy. If someone said "ummmmm" to one of his questions, he just said "thank you!" and moved onto the next person. Great class.

Loved Dale Probst classes too. He inserts a bunch of humor in his classes keeping us all laughing. Sure gets hard to stay awake after a while though.

Of course, Don Mannino always has great classes!

My biggest problem overall, was trying to decide which ones to attend!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jerry: I recognized you from that avatar, that must count for something grin

Ryan: thank you, you did a great job! I've only been to two conventions so far, but I liked the setting in KC. I learned so much during these days.

It feels so good to have passed the tech exam. Tuning has been my stronger leg, and I feel I could have done so much better on the tech part if I had more time, but then again that's part of the idea - the exam has to be about time limits, too. I didn't get to be picky about the regulation, just had to throw as much as possible into place, re-check the most crucial ones, cross my fingers, and hope for the best smile

If people here are interested, I'll write a "tech exam diary" to match my tuning exam dito.

And just as you said, Ryan, I immediately connected with Bernhard. He turned out not only to be a very good tuner (as expected) but a great person, too. Sometimes I feel like we older guys (that would be 25+) shouldn't write on the net at all. My kids know how to make sure that their intent is instantly recognized in the forums. Maybe next convention will have a class helping us along? smile

Bernhard made just cause for everything he's passionate about, and I have to admit that there's a beauty to his method. I've been skeptical to the width of his mid-range, but when I played the S&S he tuned I realized that I have played many wider mid-ranges in concert over the years. It is quite different to lean back and listen, with all the bias you carry with you, and to play and listen acoustically.

His beat masking really works, and gives a pure sound that is special. One can like it or have concerns about it, but Bernhard definitely makes a most valid case. I also picked up a lot from his unison tuning, his hammer technique, and his overall craftsmanship.

That saturday was great - StopperStimmung in the morning, then EBVT III in the afternoon. I was particularly excited to see how Bill used his ETD, and to watch his phenomenal hammer technique. There couldn't be a better confirmation of the "don't dwell" idea. He moves fast, in multiple passes, closer every time, and ends with a beautiful tuning. I played the EBVT III, too, and I love the spicy flavor of it.

Oh, and later in the evening we all had barbecue, the real thing - the crown of the day smile

Last edited by pppat; 07/19/11 05:35 PM.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, by the way, the Yamaha 37 steps class was phenomenal! We even cut the break in half and carried on 30 minutes later, because us in the audience wanted as much time as possible with these guys.

Last edited by pppat; 07/19/11 05:59 PM.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ya? And I'm a cute lil devil too ain't I Patrick????? grin

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
For all us non-tuners, I hope you folks realize how important you are, and how grateful us players are for all you do!

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rocket88
For all us non-tuners, I hope you folks realize how important you are, and how grateful us players are for all you do!

+1 thumb

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the reports folks, keep them coming.

Pictures and stories are always welcomed.

Kathy has been trying to get me out to Washington for a while now.
We just might join you next year. Would love to explore the state, then take the coast highway down through CA.

Piano Party anyone?

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

T
T
Looking back at the convention, one of the highlights was on the first day, Fred Sturm's class on "From the Point of View of the Pianist", because I do not consider myself a piano player of any note, and sometimes have trouble viewing and hearing things from a "musical" stand point. The key lesson that I think I will draw from the several voicing classes I attended is not to focus on tone color, but rather on dynamic range, and clarity. The piano will have its own color. Voicing should be an attempt to maximise the colors in between.

I also really enjoyed Bernhard Stopper's class, as well as Bill Bremmer's class on EBVT III.

Great convention!

Tom Dowell, RPT
dowellpiano@gmail.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pppat
If people here are interested, I'll write a "tech exam diary" to match my tuning exam dito.

Yes, please!!! smile

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
B
B
There were many highlights in Kansas City, i could not participate to all, some of them for me:

- Meeting friends, Kent Swafford (who did a great job supporting my class), David Andersen (awesome classes about tuning and voicing), Phil Bondi, Bill Bremmer (attended his class and actually like his EBVTIII as a variation!). Found a new one with Patrick Wingren, congratulation for passing the PTG exam! There is a composition of Patrick on youtube, of outstanding beauty for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-z-hME7WK8

- Saturday night i had the honour getting invited by Micheal Spreeman and David Andersen, where we went down to the closed and already half packed exhibit hall to play Michaels Ravenscroft 220 there. I have never played on a piano like this, it was by FAR the very best piano i ever heard. Pianists out there, grab this number, before someone else did!

- Demonstrating my temperament sequence to Mr. Coleman Sr. (Me: "Sorry for this uncomfortable thing that is required to tune the duodecime at the beginning" Mr. Coleman: " Oh, it doesn´t matter, you know, i like such things...")

- A honour and highlight for me, that the institute team repeated my class on saturday, thank you Marc Poulin!

Bernhard Stopper

Last edited by Bernhard Stopper; 07/20/11 11:52 AM.
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Mark R.
Originally Posted by pppat

Yes, please!!! smile

Hi Patrick~

Please include me, too. Congratulations on passing the complete RPT!! Great news.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"interesting" - Michaels Ravenscroft 220 piano... This is the 2nd time I've heard that this is a fantastic piano.. (For the life of me I can't remember who mentioned it to me just recently).

edit: I think it was the guy from Topeka ( a top tech) who must have gone to the convention and then commented.

I am not a tech but would have fully enjoyed that convention. I do recognize Kent Swafford.. I must have seen him around town??? He does just live blocks from me (I live on Midland Drive).

Any way, thanks for posting.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Maybe I should have posted this here instead of at the other place so i will. I actually wound up taking in these 3 classes that Ryan posted in another thread listed above.

45 Ways to Make Your Business More Successful by the PTG Economic Affairs Committee: Dozens of tips you can start using right away to get more clients, build your reputation, and boost your income!

Cash is King! by Bruce Genck: A fast-paced information packed class presented by a 30-year professional.

Point Blank Business Plus Plus by Jack Wyatt: This is an updated version of Jacks famous and popular business class. Jack has definitely been an inspiration to me over the years! Much income is left unearned for services that pianos desperately need. By not pointing this out, we do our customers, our profession, and ourselves a great disservice.

I just couldn't get out of bed for Dale's class on piano pricing.... I planned on attending but was just to darn tired so I slept in that day.... But, the other 3 were fantastic!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission