2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,292 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 46 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 45 46
Today I worked on beginning each of my pieces--breathing, focus, tempo, tone absolutely solid from the beginning. The Chopin is such a challenge to start!

I broke down the two pages of octaves in the middle of the Chopin, practicing them in different groupings, mastering the contradictory floating arm motion with the gripping fingertip. I spent a while working with an audio recorder on the opening section, playing each phrase in at least three different ways and then listening back and evaluating the interpretations.

I worked on the first movement of the Poulenc, again trying to integrate weight with fingertip control on the lyrical middle section. In an effort to smooth out the voicing, I played the sections marked piano or pianissimo at fortissimo instead. This was effective to point out the spots (which are sadly rather numerous) where my fingertips didn't transfer weight, resulting in a lost melody note.

Throughout, I experimented with thinking about the moment instead of what was coming up. I don't think I've found the balance yet, but I saw some encouraging signs.

All that took about 1.75 hours. smile Good times!

Your suspicions were right on: I'm a slightly deranged sophomore piano performance major minoring in math and physics, tutoring theory, aural skills, and calculus on the side, teaching piano lessons for milk money and sheer joy, working to live Aristotle's "examined life".

epektasis.tumblr.com
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Faure Ballade, Saint-Saens Rhapsodie d'Auvergne, Liszt Sonata

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I'm currently making my way through the second Prokofiev sonata after a little absence from it. I have also begun Bach's Italien Concerto which is pretty fun.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Chopin, Scherzo #2 and last movement of "Moonlight" Sonata. Trying to push the tempo of the Beethoven, just a little, without losing control. For the Chopin trying to get that page with the rolled chords and octaves at a decent tempo and those wide stretches in the left hand at the very end of the 3rd repeat of the con anima section a little more accurate. Need both ready for jury & soph proficiency this Friday.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
E
E
I probably won't get alot of practise in today, I will be doing some major studying for my history 1 exam next week. Had a lesson today though. All of my pieces for the gr 8 exam are coming together. Aside from exam pieces I am practising Beethoven's sonata in Fmin, I'm only on the first pg and the tempo and accents need alot of work, but i've learned the notes and can play through the first page pretty smoothly.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Haha! Fineeee.. I may be learning La Valse soon too, so there! =P

Yessssss!!!!! Do it!!!

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DameMyra
Chopin, Scherzo #2 and last movement of "Moonlight" Sonata. Trying to push the tempo of the Beethoven, just a little, without losing control. For the Chopin trying to get that page with the rolled chords and octaves at a decent tempo and those wide stretches in the left hand at the very end of the 3rd repeat of the con anima section a little more accurate. Need both ready for jury & soph proficiency this Friday.

Good luck!!!
Originally Posted by 3pianists
Today I worked on beginning each of my pieces--breathing, focus, tempo, tone absolutely solid from the beginning. The Chopin is such a challenge to start!

I broke down the two pages of octaves in the middle of the Chopin, practicing them in different groupings, mastering the contradictory floating arm motion with the gripping fingertip. I spent a while working with an audio recorder on the opening section, playing each phrase in at least three different ways and then listening back and evaluating the interpretations.

I worked on the first movement of the Poulenc, again trying to integrate weight with fingertip control on the lyrical middle section. In an effort to smooth out the voicing, I played the sections marked piano or pianissimo at fortissimo instead. This was effective to point out the spots (which are sadly rather numerous) where my fingertips didn't transfer weight, resulting in a lost melody note.

Throughout, I experimented with thinking about the moment instead of what was coming up. I don't think I've found the balance yet, but I saw some encouraging signs.

All that took about 1.75 hours. smile Good times!

Wow, you were really productive. Unlike me, most of the time.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
BachBachBachBachBachBach - F# major fugue book 1. Still a few sticky trills. The voices are coming out nicely.

Best regards,

Deborah
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Beethoven Trio Op. 1 No. 3 1st movement and performed it earlier this evening.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Chopin's Ab impromptu and Mozart sonata 17.

Ravel - Une Barque Sur l'Ocean
Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

How did your performance go? Well, i hope.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock

How did your performance go? Well, i hope.

Yeah, it went well! The piano wasn't good at all, but you get what you get, and we still had a great time playing it. I find that I am not under nearly as much stress doing chamber music as I am with solo music. It's a lot more fun to play, I loooove interacting with the other musicians, there is a wider variety of colors that can be produced, and it's just great! I will be learning the rest of the trio this summer (3rd and 4th movements, we did 1st and 2nd this semester), and I also want to learn the Brahms horn trio Op. 40.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Nothing, unfortunately. I have so little time for practice now with me putting in over 60 hours a week at the office. I'm too tired at night to practice and way too tired on the weekend to do anything. This is what happens when you get old. In the old days, I used to work 60-plus hours, took piano lessons, and even did some performances.

Anyway I hope to get some practice in soon(TM) when things settle down at work. I love practicing and playing, but the brain doesn't work well when I'm tired.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Today, I worked on the opening measures of the finale of Brahms horn trio, and then I started working various passages of Brahms concerto 1. For tomorrow, I will have a much better game plan and hopefully get much more done!

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Today, I worked on the opening measures of the finale of Brahms horn trio, and then I started working various passages of Brahms concerto 1. For tomorrow, I will have a much better game plan and hopefully get much more done!

That's a really nice piece. I love chamber music as well. I agree it's a lot easier to play than being exposed as a soloist. smile

I heard this in concert a year or so ago. The pianist played a Streicher piano from 1868 and the horn player played a natural horn dating back to the same period. This was a totally different sound than you'd expect because the piano didn't over power the rest of the trio, and the horn was also more subtle and also blended better.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
D
D
5 hours of left hand study on my bach fugue. My hand feels tired but I know tomorrow it will be refreshed and ready for another 5 hours laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
5 hours, one hand, one piece... You're kidding!? crazy

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Chopin/Beethoven/Chopin/Beethoven/Chopin/Beethoven

Can't wait for juries and sophprof to be over. OT, got a B+ in Aural Performance Final, so it looks like I will pass Aural IV with a B/B+. I am ecstatic. Aural theory, especially IV has to be the hardest thing I've ever accomplished, except for maybe this Scherzo. (Back to practice.)

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
5 hours, one hand, one piece... You're kidding!? crazy

One hour per finger... that doesn't sound natural to you? smile

-J

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
for me, Clementi's Sonatina 3 and "Bridge Over Troubled Waters".

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
Page 26 of 46 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 45 46

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission