Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#171707 - 09/23/08 04:18 PM new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
3kidsforme Offline

Loc: Chicagoland
My daughter's piano teacher holds her lessons in a piano store. Of course she directed me to talk to the manager of the store when I told her I was looking for an acoustic.

The manager steered me to this shiny, glossy, new 52" Falcone (FV32)and told me that since my daughter is a student there he can sell it to me for $3500 which includes shipping and a tuning. Oh, and there's a 10 year warranty with parts and labor and he's including a year's lesson for the adults.

He told me that my daughter will not outgrow this piano and that it rivals the sound of a grand piano.

What does everything think? Should I bite or run away? Cost wise it's a little more than I had wanted to spend (I was looking for a used $2000 used that my child won't outgrow). But I'm a sucker for deals...but i don't know if they exist in this industry. :p

That salesman knew what he was doing though...I had to drag my daughter away with her whining "but i like this one mommy, i want it!" :p

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#171708 - 09/23/08 04:54 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Well, this is probably a much better way to start than that 60's vintage Yamaha... ;\)

Many of the larger uprights do have a very full tone in the bass not enjoyed by smaller instruments. The price looks ok, but I haven't shopped this particular market segment so I can't say with authority.

52" uprights are not the fastest moving products in any piano shop in the US, so don't feel in a huge hurry to snap it up; feel free to try a couple of other pianos between your old "target" budget and the price of this one, just to be sure.

You could ask the teacher to spend a few minutes with that upright and others in the store for comparison's sake and have them get back to you with their confidential opinion (not to be shared with the store personnel for the teacher's protection). Make sure the teacher understands what your price constraints are.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#171709 - 09/23/08 05:07 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Make sure you know who actually is the manufacturer of this piano and as such the underwriter of the warranty.

After this, and if the piano of course appeals to you, it sounds like a pretty decent deal!

Norbert \:\)

#171710 - 09/23/08 05:42 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
PianoPro Offline

Loc: Iowa
Falcone not the way I'd go.

Might I suggest a Cable-Nelson (built and designed by Yamaha)CN116 or 216? You'll spend about the same, maybe less and have a far better piano in my opinion. Also will also have a 10 year warranty with them as well.

Just a thought.
20 Year Industry Experience

"Tell the truth, honor God, and make money!"

#171711 - 09/23/08 05:46 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
3kidsforme Offline

The only thing that is holding me back is that it's a Falcone which is made in China. Should that be a deterrent at all?

I'm looking for a piano that will last through my daughter's musical education (however long that will be) in addition to lasting through two of her sibling's piano education AND not having to upgrade later. Will this Falcone piano do?

Terminaldegree, I thought the bigger the piano the better the sound? So why aren't 52" uprights popular?

#171712 - 09/23/08 05:51 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
3kidsforme Offline

Thanks for the suggestion PianoPro. I think I need to start visiting more piano dealers. Internet research can only get you so far! \:\)

#171713 - 09/23/08 06:11 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just to be cynical for a moment, you might want to get a piano teacher who does not know your child's piano teacher to try out the piano, or a friend who is a true pianist, or something like that. It seems to me that there is a risk that your daughter's piano teacher will not provide unbiased advice about this piano. I also think that, given your location, it might be a good idea to shop around before making what is a major decision, as there must be a lot of piano dealerships within relatively easy reach.

#171714 - 09/23/08 06:20 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
guest1013 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I agree with Rank Piano Amateur. I believe your teacher will have an apparent conflict of interest as an employee of the store. You would be better served by someone independent as your agent/consultant. Maybe the music teacher at your child's school, or other acquaintance could give you an objective point of view.

#171715 - 09/23/08 06:43 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
J's Dad Offline

If the teacher is affiliated with the store you can be sure that nothing you tell that teacher will be kept confidential from the sales people.

#171716 - 09/23/08 07:15 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
turandot Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
 Quote:
The only thing that is holding me back is that it's a Falcone which is made in China. Should that be a deterrent at all?
I don't think so. If anything is a caution (not a deterrent), it would be that American Sejung brands are middling Chinese quality, and you might do better with some other brands made in China.

Pricewise, you are not really being gouged, so that's good.

I agree with Rank, Guest, and J's Dad. These tidy symbiotic relationships between teachers and retailers are not designed to benefit piano buyers, and they cheapen the image of the teacher. Definitely get a second opinion.

#171717 - 09/23/08 08:19 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
3kidsforme Offline

Thanks for the words of warning. When the lesson was over and we told the teacher that we were going to check out pianos at the store she literally JUMPED out of her chair and RAN (I am not kidding, that lady disappeared) to find the owner. I wouldn't be surprised if they were in cahoots with one another in some way.

#171718 - 09/23/08 08:49 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
Marty in Minnesota Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Minnesota
She probably receives a commission for a referral.

You have a lot to look at in the Chicago Market. Take your time, learn everything you can, and enjoy yourself.

#171719 - 09/23/08 11:33 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
 Quote:
Originally posted by 3kidsforme:
When the lesson was over and we told the teacher that we were going to check out pianos at the store she literally JUMPED out of her chair and RAN (I am not kidding, that lady disappeared) to find the owner. I wouldn't be surprised if they were in cahoots with one another in some way. [/b]
In light of that, please completely ignore my advice regarding the teacher and piano selection!

At your pricepoint, everything you're going to be looking at that is new will have been produced in China or maybe Indonesia. Some might have better parts than others; some might have better corporate backing than others; it has been my experience that you'd be happiest finding the dealership most willing to spend the time and money to set up/adjust the piano to play as well as it can instead of worrying too much about the first two points.

The salespeople will probably know better than I, but large uprights are probably the smallest segment of the piano market in the US. I suppose many consider uprights "starter" instruments and try to purchase the smallest or cheapest suitable model (thinking about trading up to a grand or gauging a child's interest with least financial risk).

Improvements in digital pianos cut into the low end of the upright market, while cheap micro-grand pianos from China and Indonesia challenge the perceived value of the larger uprights. Those who end up with big uprights often have limited space or somehow prefer them to similarly priced small grands (see the ubiquitous "better tone vs. better action" arguments you may have read on this forum for more information).
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#171720 - 09/26/08 09:57 AM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
TheCaz Offline

Loc: Simi Valley, CA
Hi 3kidsforme,

Welcome to Piano World. While this is a pretty cool place, you have to understand that your piano teacher isn't the only one with bias.

Let's take the advice from PainoPro to get a Cable-Nelson, which he says is a better piano. What do you think the odds are that he sells Falcone pianos and really knows them well? I'd say the odds are higher that he sells Yamahas.

I also wouldn't want to place a bet that the 45" Cable-Nelson with a laminated soundboard will sound better than a 52" Falcone with a solid Spruce soundboard, and wonder how many of my colleagues would either.

And let's look at the remark by Turnadot that the Falcone is "a middling Chinese piano." I'd agree that his comment is probably the general impression about American Sejung, which was my impression too until I actually looked closely.

Last week, I saw a bubinga wood Falcone that just knocked my socks off how well the case was made for the price. The case was higher in quality than a nearby Brodmann that has the reputation of being the best made Chinese piano, and which sells for closer to $6-$7K (it does have better components).

The bottom line is that you have to factor in that we all have our own biases in an industry that is changing a lot faster than we can keep up with. As a company, in my observation, Sejung makes a very solid entry level piano, and, in particular, the Falcones have surprisingly well made cases.

While I didn't see the Falcone you were shown, it was probably very impressive looking for its $3,500 price. That's because it is. But that's only half the battle. How well does it sound and feel?

That's what you have to answer. Don't worry about whether the dealer and your teacher are biased. Of course they are. That doesn't make them bad; it makes them normal.

The dealer didn't choose Falcone because he wants to steal from people. He chose it because he thought it was an excellent value for his customers, and he may be right. Your teacher, furthermore, isn't somehow nefarious for getting a commission for steering her clients to a dealer. That's the way the industry has worked for decades.

Make the Falcone your baseline. Go to some other dealers and see if you find anything for $3,500 that you think is better. Also see if you like the dealer better. If you do, buy it. If not, get the Falcone and don't look back. It'll be a smart purchase because you did your homework.

Good luck in your search and have fun.

P.S. After recently finishing a lengthy search myself, my opinion is that for the price, you're going to be hard-pressed to find anything better than the Falcone unless you find an older used piano, like a Yamaha U1. I'll also add that if $3,500 was the dealer's first offer, you may get that down to $3,250, $3,000 or even $2,800. Just as commission for teachers are normal, so too is dickering over the price.

#171721 - 09/26/08 12:52 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
7000 Post Club Member

from the Caz,
 Quote:
And let's look at the remark by Turnadot that the Falcone is "a middling Chinese piano." I'd agree that his comment is probably the general impression about American Sejung, which was my impression too until I actually looked closely.

Last week, I saw a bubinga wood Falcone that just knocked my socks off how well the case was made for the price. The case was higher in quality than a nearby Brodmann that has the reputation of being the best made Chinese piano, and which sells for closer to $6-$7K (it does have better components).
Caz,

An opinion is not a bias. I have an opinion. It is not based on inspecting a cabinet closely. Fasten your socks, guy. \:D

The OP asked:

"The only thing that is holding me back is that it's a Falcone which is made in China. Should that be a deterrent at all?"

I said no. I did caution him to look at other Chinese pianos since the Falcone was middling Chinese quality. I didn't say that because I had a bias. I said it because in my experience there are Chinese pianos that play and sound better. He might not find that to be the case, but if he doesn't try other Chinese pianos, he won't know that.

We all have opinions, including you. For you to write a long treatise analyzing others' opinions and inferring bias is paralysis by analysis.

#171722 - 09/26/08 02:38 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
3kidsforme Offline

Thanks for all your input everyone. I've been really getting an education from being on this forum. I'm grateful for all your opinions from such varying experiences and it is really helping me in this piano search.

I went to visit my first craigs list find yesterday. The tops of the keys were all cracked and discolored and when I peeked inside there were a handful of pins that were driven in. And the thing sounded horrible to boot! Before the Piano Book and this forum I would have been dumbfounded as to what to look for but now I feel a little more "in the know" with what to watch out for in a used piano.

My original budget was $2000 out the door but now I am finding if I up the ante up to $3000 it's a whole new ball game...esp. with the chinese pianos. After seeing that junky craigs list piano I'm losing hope that I can find a decent used piano. I was hoping to buy from a private owner to avoid the 10% sales tax here! I was also hoping to find something within the next couple of weeks but it looks like I just may have to bide my time.

#171723 - 09/26/08 02:39 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
3kidsforme Offline

Thanks for all your input everyone. I've been really getting an education from being on this forum. I'm grateful for all your opinions from such varying experiences and it is really helping me in this piano search.

I went to visit my first craigs list find yesterday. The tops of the keys were all cracked and discolored and when I peeked inside there were a handful of pins that were driven in. And the thing sounded horrible to boot! Before the Piano Book and this forum I would have been dumbfounded as to what to look for but now I feel a little more "in the know" with what to watch out for in a used piano.

My original budget was $2000 out the door but now I am finding if I up the ante up to $3000 it's a whole new ball game...esp. with the chinese pianos. After seeing that junky craigs list piano I'm losing hope that I can find a decent used piano. I was hoping to buy from a private owner to avoid the 10% sales tax here! I was also hoping to find something within the next couple of weeks but it looks like I just may have to bide my time.

#171724 - 09/26/08 02:57 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
3kidsforme Offline

Whoops...looks like I double-posted. Computer got stuck on me...

Anyhow, generally how should I go about dickering over the price? I don't want to totally offend people by low-balling them and I understand that they need to eat too. And then when they tell me stuff that "we got this on discount from the manufacturer and we're passing the savings on to you" and "I sold this to so-and-so for this $xxx much more than I'm offering you"...just how much lower should I go? I'm such a wuss when it comes to haggling and am looking for tips on how to go about it.

#171725 - 09/26/08 03:19 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
I would have been very happy with the large upright Falcone I tried when I was looking at pianos. The initial price I was offered was also $3500. We didn't bargain on that one because I ended up with a small Chinese grand of a different make.

I had grown completely (and I mean completely) discouraged looking at the condition of used pianos in that price range.

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

#171726 - 09/26/08 03:55 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
7000 Post Club Member

3Kids,

Just concern yourself with the price of the neighborhood. If you want to stay at or under 3.5k, don't shop above the 5k neighborhood. If you want to stay at or under 3k, don't look at pianos over 4.5k. But by all means look at all the available propertiesin[/b] the neighborhood.

Don't negotiate price on a piano unless you really would like to buy it. Being committed to a particular piano is your best bargaining leverage. Dealers really do want to sell pianos. They don't really want to dicker seriously with someone who's just comparison-shopping. Besides, you'll get hopelessly confused if you start negotiating on everything you see. You'll forget the real merits of the different pianos.

Don't get hung up on 52" either. There's nothing magic about height. If one maker's 48" has the same actual selling price as another's 52", it just might be because it's a better piano.

Finally, don't believe that the Falcone is the best you can possibly do with your money because someone here wishes to tell you that. Decide for yourself what is best for your family. Take your time. Your instinicts about pianos will become surer and your salesfloor BS filter will become operational. \:\)

#171727 - 09/26/08 04:16 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
3kidsforme, [/b] TheCaz's point about the industry changing rapidly is particularly important when evaluating Chinese-made pianos.

In general it's a good idea to pay an independent tech to evaluate a used piano. Doing that re a new Falcone should resolve any doubts about its quality per dollar.

#171728 - 09/26/08 04:46 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
TheCaz's point about the industry changing rapidly is particularly important when evaluating Chinese-made pianos.
I don't agree with this at all. A piano shopper needs to evaluate the pianos, not the financial fortunes of the makers. It's hard enough to do the former, it's damn-near impossible to do the latter.

Obviously there are too many Chinese brands and their ranks will thin in the next decade. Who will survive and who will fold? The answer to that question might be based on product quality, marketing skills, timing, luck, or simply an infusion of capital into faltering state-affiliated companies by the Chinese govenment putting those companies in the driver's seat.
The point is, even if we could analyze the financial outlook of the companies for the next ten years (which we can't), there wouldn't be a correlation to product quality of Chinese pianos in showrooms today.

#171729 - 09/26/08 05:19 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
TheCaz Offline

Hi 3Kids,

I can really understand how it's tough to negotiate over price, and I know you want to be fair. So too does the dealer. He'll let you know when you're too low by telling you that he won't sell at that price.

Think of it as trying to find out what's a fair price. You do it by saying that you really only wanted to spend about $2,000, but recognize that the piano for $3,500 is a good one. Ask if he would you sell it for $2,800, and tell him you'd buy it if he will. Then, do not say a word!!! This is absolutely critical. Let him answer even if there's a painful silence. He's thinking about making a sale. If he says, "Yes," you just bought a piano at your price.

If he says that he'd sell it for $3,300, but not $2,800, he's going to shut his mouth till you answer. Once you start this process, you keep going until you make a deal. You might say, "Well, I was hoping for $2,800, but how about $3,000?" Again, say nothing. Eventually, you'll reach a deal.

I know it's easy to say this, and hard to do it, but you really CAN do it. Just remember that all you're trying to do is find out what's a fair price for a piano for your daughter.

Turandot,[/b]

I didn't say I wasn't biased. We all are because our opinions are based on limited views of reality. We also both agree that 3Kids should take her time, look at other pianos, and not take anyone's opinion for or against any piano.

But you were the one who called the Falcone "a middling piano," and to parahrase the immortal Forrest Gump, "I may not be a smart man, but I know what a middling Chinese piano is" -- and what I saw clearly wasn't one of them.

Now why did you call it middling?

#171730 - 09/26/08 05:38 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
why did you call it middling?
because there are better and there are worse.

Look, you may think whatever you want to think Caz. That's no problem. But just don't sniffing around other folks' opinions saying that they are biased.

Ever since you bought your piano at Hollywood Piano, you're the newly-minted expert whose posts sound exactly the same as those of the owner of that shop.........Joe Pramberger lives on in the Hyundai-backed quality of the 'new' Young Chang.....the discovery of the under-appreciated Sejung ...........even the occasional bone tossed to Estonia......yada....yada.....yada...... \:D

Like I said, fasten your socks. \:D You don't want them to be blown off by the next Bubinga cabinet that crosses your path. ;\)

#171731 - 09/26/08 06:17 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
TheCaz Offline

Wow, I certainly struck a nerve, but I didn't intend it. As for being a newly-minted expert, I'm not at all. I just have a pair of eyes and I answered what I saw with them.

You called it a middling piano and my eyes told me differently. As for expressing the same opinion as Glenn Treibitz, so what? Is it possible that maybe I agreed with him?

But then, an ad hominem argument works by attacking the person, not the issue. So please stop ducking the basic question by attacking me. Just what is your opinion that its a middling piano based on? How do you know that there are better and worse, other than the law of averages.

As for fastening my socks, I enjoy them being blown off by what I think is an unexpectedly good product. It's actually happened several times already ... and I hope it happens more. I'm enjoying the world of pianos immensely.

Have a nice day, t. Don't take it so seriously. I wasn't challenging your adulthood. Just pointing out that in a rapidly-changing industry the collective wisdom is bound to be wrong, which is why we have to experience things with our own eyes and make our own decisions.

As for bias, t, we're all biased. It's the human condition. We only have limited views of reality, yet we constantly express opinions as if we know far more than we really do. We virtually have no choice. We get in trouble when we take ourselves and the truth we claim to know too seriously.

Have a nice day.

#171732 - 09/26/08 07:32 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
7000 Post Club Member

Caz,

You didn't strike a nerve. You have now stated that you personally are biased. Maybe you'll remember that the next time you create a post analyzing other's opinions as biased and pointing to your own as something better than that.

I was just having some fun with your comment that your socks were blown off. There are many different kinds of socks. \:D Since you have now allowed that you enjoy having your socks blown off, let me caution you that if they do happen to be blown off in a dealer showroom, be careful that the dealer doesn't scarf them up and start wearing them. \:D

I'm not going to tell you which are better and which are worse. The OP will make the decision, and that is how it should be. If a Falcone, a Geo. Steck, or a Hobart Cable wins the day, life will go on. Even if the winning entrant is not the very best, the OP can always attain nirvana later by trading up for a Hyundai-backed product. \:D

#171733 - 09/26/08 07:52 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
TheCaz Offline

You may want to rethink the nirvana comment. I thought you could only reach nirvana by trading up to an Estonia ... Enjoy.

#171734 - 09/26/08 09:29 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
7000 Post Club Member

Caz,

If I get anywhere close to musical nirvana, it doesn't have much to do with the instrument. BTW, you enjoy as well.

3kids,

Excuse the thread hijack. I went back to your thread opener on your first thread here and found

Quote:
We've been looking for a starter piano for my 6 year old who started taking lessons. A used Yamaha U1 showed up on craigslist yesterday and i have an appointment to view it tonight.
We know how that one turned out.

A couple of points

A late-model Craigslist Yamaha or Kawai would probably be the best way to protect a good portion of the money you allocate. They do exist although nowhere near in quantity to older Yamahas and Kawais that the last owner overpaid for and expects you to do the same. If you find a U1 ten or twelve years old in good condition for 3k, you will be golden and your child will be well-served.

If you take your 3k to the new market, you have two problems. The first is that there is no pricing transparency in the piano industry. You'll have to navigate through thick fog and get opinions on the price offered. The same piano is routinely sold to two different customers for substantially different prices. This forum is a good place to get some help cutting through the fog. The second problem is that any new piano in your stated price range will have been built in China or Indonesia. Regrettably, the moment it arrives in your home, it will be worth 30 to 50% less for resale than you paid for it. That's a pretty steep decline unless you really really like the piano and are ready to take it for the long haul.

I would suggest that you keep your eye on Craigslist for a Chinese or Indonesian piano five years old or less. Let the seller take the hit.

A few months back a lady from Chicago with limited budget asked for help here to find a piano for her child. She posted craigslist links here to specific pianos. People commented on their opinions. some members checked Chicago Craigslist and made suggestions on their own initiative. The result was she bought a three-year old Sejung studio piano for $850. The seller was changing living room decor and the piano just didn't fit.

I'm not saying you're guaranteed to strike the deal that she did, but who can say that you won't. There are a lot of bargains out there on slightly used Chinese and Indonesian pianos. If something catches your eye in a listing, just link to it in a post on one of your threads and ask for comments and help with verification of age and serial number.

Don't spend your money rashly. It's a buyer's market.

#171735 - 10/15/08 03:56 AM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
robbiefest Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi All

I actually owned one of these pianos, for a short time. I bought a George Steck u32 Bubinga. It was the most gorgeous looking piano I've ever seen and still miss it's looks.
However, I replaced it becaue I thought the piano would never come up to my requirements. I knew nothing about pianos on the day I bought it and started learning immediately afterwards.
The George and Falcone come out of the same factory and guess they are identical other than the badge.
I believe they are a very well built piano and good value for money. It had a terrific bottom end which I really miss, but for me it had a lot lacking.
The action was very uneven, even after 3 visits from a tech, and as well as the tone. It is quite possible that if the piano had really been set up well, it may have been a very good piano, but after 3 visits, I just thought, this piano is never going be good. I bought a petrof to replace it. I bought the petrof at 1/3 of new price due to the importer selling out in Australia.
The Petrof's action and ability to obey my commands I believe are far superior to what my Steck could ever have done. The tone and action is very even, and it has only been tuned 3 times, never had action or voicing. It was a far superior piano, out of the box than the chinese piano after many visits. Having said that, I played a Steck at another shop and couldn't believe they were the same piano that I had owned. The guy had done a brilliant setup. Maybe I got a dud, but I don't think so. It's all in the setup with the Chinese pianos and you will need to be most patient to get a good one.
With respect to your child outgrowing the Falcone. I think after around 4 or 5th grade, you'll need a better action. That's just my opinion, but I don't believe the chinese pianos are up to the task of taking a mid level student to a higher level.
Good luck with your search.

#171736 - 10/15/08 12:57 PM Re: new falcone 52" upright for $3500- should i bite?
3kidsforme Offline

Thanks for your input robbiefest. We ended up passing on the falcone.

I'd be interested in reading some more posts from people who have owned a chinese piano and how they've fared. That info would be great to keep in my back pocket the next time I go piano shopping.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
167 registered (ajames, 89grand, 36251, 50 invisible), 1424 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157090 Topics
2306968 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Could you please help my son choose a composition?
by christineka
11 minutes 50 seconds ago
New old Vose and Sons Upright Piano
by RT White
Today at 11:01 AM
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
Today at 08:28 AM
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
Today at 08:04 AM
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
Today at 03:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission