Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1715717 - 07/18/11 01:34 PM How do you charge for weddings and other events?
Redhead1 Offline

I posted something similar on the non-classical forum, but thought maybe I'd get more input from different people here.

I am still semi-new at playing solo piano for weddings and parties. (I've maybe played for a total of twenty of them.)

I'm always unsure of myself when I quote a price. I've looked a some pianists' websites and have seen things like, say, $100 for the first hour and $75 for each additional hour. Someone else said they charge $300 for any wedding ceremony, no rehearsal.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've been asked for quotes where I play for a while then "sit and wait" for an hour, and I'm not sure how to price them.

In general, I'm just not sure how to price. If I just have to play for a cocktail hour, for example, $100 seems a little low. But I also hate to fluctuate a rate -- I want to have a rate, or policy that I'm happy with, then always follow it.

Could someone please share how they price such things? Do you price hourly? Flate rate, no matter how long the event is? Do you charge more if you drive farther? Do you have "package deals"? When you play for a ceremony, do you have a flat fee, and if so, does that include a rehearsal?

Anything else I should know about pricing?
Thanks so much!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1715963 - 07/18/11 09:20 PM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: Redhead1]
Redhead1 Offline

Anyone? Anyone?

#1716196 - 07/19/11 07:54 AM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: Redhead1]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
For non-booking agency event jobs in NYC, I used to charge average $150.00 for the first hour, $100.00 for each additional hour. Sometimes more, sometimes less - depending on whether I get a feel for what the client can really afford wink

Which means that when they ask for a rate, make sure that at least you first ascertain the event location - is it in the swankiest part of town or in a working class neighborhood? - that will tell you a lot about how to price.

If the rehearsal is held the night before, try to charge your first hour price for it. That way, you won't feel too cheated if you have to turn down another gig offer for that night. If the rehearsal is right before the ceremony itself, charge 50 - 75% of your 1st hour price for it.

If you have to cart a keyboard and amp to the event add on an additional $25 - $50 to your price.

#1716270 - 07/19/11 10:31 AM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: Redhead1]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
I would get an idea what people in your community already pay. Call a competitor or wedding planner and ask. I definitely need a contract, particularly with brides. they are phoners.. let me tell you. I am cheap compared to my competition for weddings.. 150 and 75 thereafter.

No one has asked me to play a party.. but back in the 80s I advertized and booked quite a few in the month of December.. like 8. I advertized 'absolutely free' and always made at least 100$. I guess that people who can afford musicians for parties are willing to pay more than brides.. just a guess based on their mansions and the grand (out of tune) high end pianos therein.

Funerals are a stable market... and my favorite venue. get in, get out and a guaranteed paycheck. kind of upsetting emotionally sometime tho.

I accept tips.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1716311 - 07/19/11 11:31 AM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: Redhead1]
samasap Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Have set prices for different things, so for an hours performance maybe charge $100 and for a full evening charge $300. But compare to other people and base your prices around others. Maybe charge slightly under initally to build up your work & reputation.

#1716434 - 07/19/11 02:00 PM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: Redhead1]
BadOrange Offline

Loc: Banned
i would charge 300 $ minimum. Weddings cost alot of money.About 23 000 on average. That 300$ compared to all the other costs will seem inconsequential. Keep in mind that this is barely the basic union rate. I would spend time on the marketing side making a nice website and if you have experience with references, then charge 500$. People will pay it, Again it depends where you live but you will often find people not hiring you because you aren't charging enough. People assume you suck,

Ideally, if you can find a way to not advertise the price directly and negotiate , you will find it quite easy to get 500$. It is a wedding, nobody will want to take a risk to save a few hundred $$.

#1716739 - 07/19/11 08:56 PM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: BadOrange]
Redhead1 Offline

Originally Posted By: BadOrange
i would charge 300 $ minimum. Weddings cost alot of money.About 23 000 on average. That 300$ compared to all the other costs will seem inconsequential. Keep in mind that this is barely the basic union rate.

Thanks for all the replies.
What is union rate? I've always heard that term, but never knew exactly what it meant, and despite google searches, I've never been able to find an actual "rate."

#1717096 - 07/20/11 09:38 AM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: Redhead1]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: Redhead1
i would charge 300 $ minimum. Weddings cost alot of money.About 23 000 on average. That 300$ compared to all the other costs will seem inconsequential. Keep in mind that this is barely the basic union rate.

Thanks for all the replies.
What is union rate? I've always heard that term, but never knew exactly what it meant, and despite google searches, I've never been able to find an actual "rate."

I left the Musician's Union about 6 years ago. But if memory serves me right, the minimum scale for weddings in local 47 (Bad Orange's local , I think) was $65.00 per hour with no distinction made between soloist or sideman.

(Edit: I think that there was a min. # of hours mandated - something like 2 or 2 1/2 hours of pay so that just doing a cocktail hour would net you at least 130.00 @minimum scale. I don't know how much control, if any, the union holds over the wedding 'market' out there. Probably as little as it does in NYC.)

Edited by Gerard12 (07/20/11 12:12 PM)

#1717451 - 07/20/11 06:47 PM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: Redhead1]
BadOrange Offline

the musicians i deal with make about 200 per hour 3 hour slots. Little less depending on the size of the orchestra. They are all union musicians but they are also the top tier musicians.

I do think the fact that it is a wedding makes the number more up to the individual. That is why I think it is often better to start getting work via word of mouth with wedding organizers you have worked with in the past because you will have an idea of their budget and you can price accordingly. There are times were charging less than 1000$ will actually make your services less appealing. The nature of weddings are strange. Some people would rather pay 4 times the price and be guaranteed that you perform as one should.

If doing weddings is something you are interested in , I do think developing relationships with actual planners a much better strategy than advertising on your own. Like anything, when you start, you don't have as much leverage but when you have a good working relationship with someone that plans weddings, the price is really a percentage of the cost of the wedding.

I mean lets be honest, the wedding march performed poorly can ruin a wedding. Short of having the groom run away or have some drunk sibling denouncing the marriage because she is having his baby, having someone mess up the organ is next on the list.

#1717809 - 07/21/11 08:09 AM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: BadOrange]
Redhead1 Offline

I do think the fact that it is a wedding makes the number more up to the individual. That is why I think it is often better to start getting work via word of mouth with wedding organizers you have worked with in the past because you will have an idea of their budget and you can price accordingly.

If doing weddings is something you are interested in , I do think developing relationships with actual planners a much better strategy than advertising on your own.

Thanks. I agree that that seems to best way. But how does one go about going that?

#1717832 - 07/21/11 08:54 AM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: Redhead1]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA

I do think the fact that it is a wedding makes the number more up to the individual. That is why I think it is often better to start getting work via word of mouth with wedding organizers you have worked with in the past because you will have an idea of their budget and you can price accordingly.

If doing weddings is something you are interested in , I do think developing relationships with actual planners a much better strategy than advertising on your own.

Thanks. I agree that that seems to best way. But how does one go about going that?

Send them a brochure and a sampler CD of your playing showing the different styles and skills you have.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1717840 - 07/21/11 08:58 AM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: Redhead1]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
That is why I think it is often better to start getting work via word of mouth with wedding organizers you have worked with in the past because you will have an idea of their budget and you can price accordingly.

Contact them, talk to them, leave your card or maybe a demo CD with them, go to wedding expos or similar functions you might have in your area and make yourself known.

#1717849 - 07/21/11 09:20 AM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: Redhead1]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think musicians should get paid at least much as photographers. Its incomprehensible, that a photographer may be paid several thousand dollars for a night taking some video and photos, and a musician should be paid like 300 dollars.

Music is way more important then photography in my opinion, for without it the wedding loses all its spark , beauty and happiness.

We need to elevate the status of the musician, at times they are the main movers of the entire wedding.

#1717857 - 07/21/11 09:30 AM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: BadOrange]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
I mean lets be honest, the wedding march performed poorly can ruin a wedding. Short of having the groom run away or have some drunk sibling denouncing the marriage because she is having his baby, having someone mess up the organ is next on the list.

I played for a drunk bride.. a friend of the priest.. who was actually friends with the family who decided 'Let's get Sharon married already'.

At the question (at the altar during the ceremony) she was asked.. 'do you promise to love honor and obey your husband? (they should have worded that differently knowing Sharon).. she said 'heck no.. I'm not going to obey anyone'!!! and there were other goofs during the ceremony.

I won't even go into what happened during her celebration at the reception.. since I left after 30 minutes, except that I heard it went on until 2 AM and she was pretty toasted for the last several hours. She did try to pay me 3 more times in the next month or so. (I have a contract and am prepayed).

I am on the low end of the totem pole pay-wise... not because I am bad.. I can play really mean processionals and recessionals, but there are some established players in my region with solid reputations with which I don't really want to compete.

.... just send me the paupers and drunks.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1717868 - 07/21/11 09:44 AM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: BadOrange]
Robert W. Weber Offline

Loc: Mullins, SC

When I was in high school, my geometry teacher offered me $50 to play at his wedding. The church had both a piano and an organ. I suggested the piano because it had a much fuller sound, but his bride decided on the organ. Lo and behold, as the bride began walking down the aisle, the organ shorted out! You could still hear a little, but it was barely audible. Poor girl. I felt terrible for her. For the end, I switched to the piano. At any rate, my teacher never paid me... and it wasn't even my fault! I didn't ask for it, though. It was high school. I didn't know any better. So, yes. The aisle music (or lack thereof) can totally ruin a wedding day... even if the pianist doesn't suck. smile
http://rwwmusic.blogspot.com

#1717894 - 07/21/11 10:27 AM Re: How do you charge for weddings and other events? [Re: currawong]
Redhead1 Offline

[/quote]Contact them, talk to them, leave your card or maybe a demo CD with them, go to wedding expos or similar functions you might have in your area and make yourself known. [/quote]

Okay, well hopefully I am on the right track then! I have been doing that sort of thing for about a year now.

I guess it just takes time ...?

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
68 registered (bennevis, Atrys, Akshay, 19 invisible), 1049 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251176 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
56 minutes 14 seconds ago
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission