Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1720466 - 07/25/11 08:40 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
That’s 34, for the second time, are you suffering from an early version of Alzheimer's?

You can’t even get my age straight, an elementary thing by all counts, yet you claim that you are so intelligent and capable of helping others… how can you help any musician when you freaking cant even remember a person’s age, after he had corrected you a number of times…you’re getting really old and annoying, but that’s besides the point…

At any case you been added to my ignore list, and you shall stay there forever.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1720862 - 07/25/11 08:24 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
cubop Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Loc: Norway
BadOrange. I really admire your ability to get to the point without wasting words. I have something to learn there. That certain other persons should be able to learn that, is probably too much to hope for.

Edited by cubop (07/25/11 08:25 PM)

#1720891 - 07/25/11 09:32 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Dara]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dara
Originally Posted By: Dara
Saul, I enjoyed listening to the latest piece you posted here.

I am curious, since copyright issues have arisen in this thread, about the art you use in your videos.

For example in this Sabbath Video, do you acknowledge in any way the artist that created these images. I don't see any mention of the painter. Is this not important to you?
Do you have permission to use these paintings in promoting your musical compositions ?

One can only assume by your lack of response to my questions,

that...
You haven't acknowledged/made reference to the artist ,
It doesn't matter to you.
You don't have permission.

I am a painter, photographer and sculptor. I'd be rather ticked if someone used images of my works to promote their works, without my consent.

Added to my ignore list until you cool off, I dont owe anything to you, and I dont owe any explanations to you.

#1720895 - 07/25/11 09:39 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Performing my composition "The two Lovers"...Regards, Saul.

#1720899 - 07/25/11 09:46 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Exalted Wombat]
Batuhan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Istanbul
Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat
Moonlight Sonata

Here's a performance of a well-known work. Within the bounds of artistic licence or ... well ... just terrible?

(Sorry Saul, but you DID say you didn't want criticism. And I NEVER do what I'm told.)

Completely silly movement, what's the point of posting his moonlight sonata recording in this thread ? Is it a jealousy or what? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Edited by Batuhan (07/25/11 09:46 PM)

Published:
Waltz Op. 36 No. 1 in G-flat major,
2 Preludes, Op. 12 in D-flat major.

#1720906 - 07/25/11 09:54 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Batuhan]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Batuhan
Moonlight Sonata

Here's a performance of a well-known work. Within the bounds of artistic licence or ... well ... just terrible?

(Sorry Saul, but you DID say you didn't want criticism. And I NEVER do what I'm told.)

Completely silly movement, what's the point of posting his moonlight sonata recording in this thread ? Is it a jealousy or what? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Thanks for your voice of reason!

Why it has become such a uphill struggle to share art and creativity with people without asking anything in return is Beyond Me.

#1720911 - 07/25/11 10:04 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Saul, may I ask what to me is a "point of interest" question:
I know you usually have good reasons for naming pieces, so I was surprised at "The Two lovers" For example, if there are lovers (as in a relationship),there would usually be two, and therefore I got to thinking why wouldn't just "The lovers" suffice?

Here is my best guess after puzzling over this: ( I bet I am wrong) Is it so as to avoid any possible reference to the Tarot cards "The lovers?"
Sorry, but my mind asks questions...

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1720927 - 07/25/11 10:29 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Rostosky]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Saul, may I ask what to me is a "point of interest" question:
I know you usually have good reasons for naming pieces, so I was surprised at "The Two lovers" For example, if there are lovers (as in a relationship),there would usually be two, and therefore I got to thinking why wouldn't just "The lovers" suffice?

Here is my best guess after puzzling over this: ( I bet I am wrong) Is it so as to avoid any possible reference to the Tarot cards "The lovers?"
Sorry, but my mind asks questions...

Good question,

Lovers can include more then two, for some may be lovers but have other love outside their relationship. Its like the word "you" it can refer to 2, the most natural choice, but then it can also mean a whole bunch of people. Lovers is too general, and I wanted to keep it more specific to the theme of this work. In this work, the 2 lovers are basically portrait by the two voices found in the high notes representing the female voice, soprano, alto, and the lower notes of the piano, representing the man, bass, and baritone. There is a conversation between this pair, beginning with the female voice and answered by the male, and then there is a change of keys. The beginning opening them for both male and female is in A minor, then it changes to E minor, and then back again with added new material in between these themes and then the return to A minor with the ending closing phrase. I really enjoyed playing this work. It took me a while to construct the entire piece, and then to record it. The work is complete, I just have to put it on paper, and that takes time cause I have other things to do, and it becomes just too difficult to find the time to sit down and put all these short piano pieces into scores. Years back when I had more time, and wasn’t busy with my job, I was able to comfortably put many works into paper, writing the scores. But now, with the various responsibilities and the tight schedule I just dont find the time to work on these pieces more thoroughly. I really wish that they will create in the future some kind of a notating system that reads Mp3 files and perfectly notates the score without any hassle.

Thanks for listening...

Cheers,

Saul

Edited by Saul (07/25/11 10:29 PM)

#1720974 - 07/25/11 11:59 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Thanks Saul, that has completely satisfied my enquiring mind!
I am engaged in something very similar at the moment,but with a difference, so wont mention the details till its finished, when it is I will share, and hopefully gain some constructive criticism, allthough as it's sort of personal, that prospect scares me a little. Strike that, it scares me a load!
Thanks.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1721439 - 07/26/11 07:51 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Looking forward to listen to it...

Performing my Improvisation Fantastique at the piano...

#1723931 - 07/31/11 08:34 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

The Council of Elrond - Piano Version

#1723975 - 07/31/11 11:22 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Performing my Improvisation Fantastique No. 2 at the piano...

#1726214 - 08/03/11 10:48 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Performing my Sonata for Organ In G major No. 1.

I. Allegretto

II. Espressivo

Regards,

Saul

#1726250 - 08/04/11 12:00 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
BadOrange Offline

sonata implies a certain formal conventions including key areas and basic sections of which you have none. i would learn a little about what those names actually mean before slapping them on and looking rather silly in the process. This particular piece was horrid. Had you called it Red Label improvisation on G , I might of been a little more forgiving.

Overall, I would say you have quite the knack at coming up with inappropriate piece names. It is quite comical and hard to take seriously so perhaps research the terms you use and avoid obvious sentimental names that intend a program which you don't fulfill.

You also should learn how an instrument works before composing for it. This sounds so awkward and does not take into account the way an organ actually works.

Edited by BadOrange (08/04/11 12:05 AM)

#1726281 - 08/04/11 12:58 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Evening Song in F sharp Major...

#1726283 - 08/04/11 01:05 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

#1726908 - 08/04/11 10:21 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Fixed some audio issue with the upload, now its ok...

Forest Song In G minor for Orchestra - The Forest Sings...

Regards,

Saul

#1727097 - 08/05/11 09:01 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
BadOrange Offline

i've noticed that in all your pieces, you stay in the same key. Not sure if this is intentional or just a lapse in harmonic vocabulary but it makes every piece rather stale. Nothing every goes anywhere.

The forest song has such a rather rigid rhythmic feel. A forest has trees, trees move and sway. Your piece is the opposite. Instead of using winds which would be more appropriate , you go with a harpsichord that is one of the more rigid percussive and non organic aesthetic which you then layer with a similar sounding harp. No enchantment here.

1/10 for the name
3/10 for the composition

and once again, you use a term which is inappropriate. You can call it the jungle boogie or the garden of eden or any other number of shrubbery related words but what it is not is a song. Just like your sonata isn't a sonata.....

Edited by BadOrange (08/05/11 09:04 AM)

#1727100 - 08/05/11 09:04 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Bad Orange: I think that you're pushing it a little. Give the guy a break. I think that sticking to one thread is already enough! laugh

#1727103 - 08/05/11 09:09 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
BadOrange Offline

you haven't seen the vile private messages he sent me after a fair critic prior. I will continue to exercise my right to post here. Saul might cringe but perhaps unconsciously, he will learn a thing or two.

#1727106 - 08/05/11 09:19 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Steve Chandler Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
It's a passacaglia or close to one then at 3:13 it becomes something else.

That's something I've noticed about Saul's compositions they do much the same thing until 2/3rd to 3/4 of the way through and then start doing something very different. Saul I hope you're reading this and this is a moment of realization for you. The very different part that you finally get to is something that really should come much earlier. This gives you the freedom to explore the contrast between these different sections. Throw in a few key changes and some of what us classical guys call development and you'll have a real sonata. You've got plenty of creativity but your lack of theoretical knowledge is holding you back. Instead you're reinventing the wheel.

#1727155 - 08/05/11 10:52 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Steve Chandler]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler
It's a passacaglia or close to one then at 3:13 it becomes something else.

That's something I've noticed about Saul's compositions they do much the same thing until 2/3rd to 3/4 of the way through and then start doing something very different. Saul I hope you're reading this and this is a moment of realization for you. The very different part that you finally get to is something that really should come much earlier. This gives you the freedom to explore the contrast between these different sections. Throw in a few key changes and some of what us classical guys call development and you'll have a real sonata. You've got plenty of creativity but your lack of theoretical knowledge is holding you back. Instead you're reinventing the wheel.

Of course its something else, I said that its the second movemovent. There are two movements.

I never said that it was one movement sonata, Steve.

Anyways,

Here is my latest Work. Composed for 4 voices , it is called Lament for Gandalf In E minor - Based on The Lord of the Rings.

The Lament for Gandalf referred to any of the elvish songs sung in lamentation for Gandalf in Lothlórien. The only excerpt from these songs is "Mithrandir, Mithrandir, O Pilgrim Grey!".

Lament for Gandalf

Edited by Saul (08/05/11 11:03 AM)

#1727161 - 08/05/11 11:02 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
You come up with new work very quikly and constantly, Saul.

Are you sure they ARE compositions, not just quickly-recorded improvisations? These are useful as an ideas store of course, but then you have to put a little more work in, crafting the ideas into something more structured.

#1727169 - 08/05/11 11:12 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Exalted Wombat]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

You come up with new work very quikly and constantly, Saul.

Are you sure they ARE compositions, not just quickly-recorded improvisations? These are useful as an ideas store of course, but then you have to put a little more work in, crafting the ideas into something more structured.

I have the score for the 'Lement for Gandalf' so I did work on it, and wrote it down, this is not an improvisation. But then I do have a good number of works which are imporvisations, and then I have works that are complete and ready to be put on paper, the compositional aspect of the piece is done, all is needed to put it on paper, so I have many different aspects to my work.

Regards,

Edited by Saul (08/05/11 11:13 AM)

#1727176 - 08/05/11 11:21 AM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Nikolas]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Bad Orange: I think that you're pushing it a little. Give the guy a break. I think that sticking to one thread is already enough! laugh

Dont waste your energies explaining to him that he is wrong, abusive people can't comprehend how their actions reflect on others... so let him continue with his brutal and wicked activities, and let the rest of listen and discuss music here and elsewhere, I have him on ignore. I have specifically told him that I dont want to hear anything from him, but my request falls on deaf ears. So let him be and brew in his own stinking soup...for it seems he has nothing better to do then stink up the place, remember Gollum? Sam has always called him 'Stinker'...and boy he does fit the bill...

#1727270 - 08/05/11 01:30 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
2000 Post Club Member

Putting on my Yoda hat.

Stinker says you. Have you not learned that goodness can from ones we see an evil come? Ignore do you a voice of intellect. Prefer do you silver tongues that speak platitudes of substance not. Unfortunate and misguided this is.

[/yoda]

#1727275 - 08/05/11 01:39 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Steve Chandler]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Putting on my Yoda hat.

Stinker says you. Have you not learned that goodness can from ones we see an evil come? Ignore do you a voice of intellect. Prefer do you silver tongues that speak platitudes of substance not. Unfortunate and misguided this is.

[/yoda]

confused what are you talking about, Steve?

#1727286 - 08/05/11 01:58 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
2000 Post Club Member

Hey Saul,

Trying to write like Yoda (in Star Wars) speaks is hard. Basically I'm saying that wise people listen to those they disagree with just in case they say something of value. Many have commented constructively on your works and you just say let me be me. Not everything Bad Orange has commented to you was without merit. Indeed much of it I agreed with. It's obvious the two of you frustrate each other, which tells me if you started listening to each other you'd both probably learn something.

Or as Yoda might have said, "Frustrate each other do you two, listen perhaps and grow would both of you."

#1727296 - 08/05/11 02:07 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Steve Chandler]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Saul,

Trying to write like Yoda (in Star Wars) speaks is hard. Basically I'm saying that wise people listen to those they disagree with just in case they say something of value. Many have commented constructively on your works and you just say let me be me. Not everything Bad Orange has commented to you was without merit. Indeed much of it I agreed with. It's obvious the two of you frustrate each other, which tells me if you started listening to each other you'd both probably learn something.

Or as Yoda might have said, "Frustrate each other do you two, listen perhaps and grow would both of you."

Say something of value?

Let him write a book about my works and publish it for all I care, but that's not the point.

I don't want to hear him speak, or comment on my music, with or without merit, that's my choice, and he should respect that.

When he refuses to do so, he is becoming abusive, and that's how I consider it, nothing short of abuse.

When someone wants your advice, then you're more then welcome, but when someone says stop, I dont want to hear you, then keep your advice to yourself. I didn’t come here for assistance, I didn’t ask from other musicians to help me with my music, so what's the whole issue here. forcing your uncalled for help?

I dont want it, period.

All I want is to share my music, no strings attached, and that's all.

He can more then often be of assistance for those who are interested and desire his help, and there are many musicians here who fit that category, but I'm not one of them, and intelligent people know when to open their mouths and when to close them too.

Disturbing people at midnight because you believe you are doing the world a favor with your beautiful voice, practicing the strings of your voice, is not an excuse to wake everyone up...

The ends DONT justify the means, I was never a fan of the book, Prince...for its stands in complete opposition to my philosophy.

Edited by Saul (08/05/11 02:09 PM)

#1727341 - 08/05/11 03:28 PM Re: Saul's Compositions [Re: Saul]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Prelude In F major No. 1 for piano - score included- andante...

A rather early work of mine...

Hope everyone enjoys it...

Cheers,

Saul

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
121 registered (a-z0-9, 36251, A Guy, Abby Pianoman, 31 invisible), 1653 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156292 Topics
2295364 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Marc-Andr Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
25 minutes 32 seconds ago
Baldwin E250 1998
by sort
Today at 08:11 PM
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
Today at 06:01 PM
Used piano buying choices
by BrianDX
Today at 05:55 PM
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
Today at 05:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission