2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (akse0435, amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 153 of 341 1 2 151 152 153 154 155 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
LOL -- maybe it shows that Kenny Werner is right. It's the self censoring that's the issue.

unfortunately I may have misconstrued the study and we're back at the beginning.

Too bad. I thought I was into something.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Very good gig tonight. We were very well received. I may have a short video clip. Nothing special on my end but the group was solid. We continue to be booked regularly so we must be entertaining them.

We didn't play Naima though. Crowd was upbeat and wanted swing and we even had the audience dance.

Last edited by jazzwee; 07/24/11 03:17 AM.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In order to let the subconscious go and do it's thing (performance)
one has to fill the conscious mind with information (practice)

The subconscious needs to have paths to move through.

There's a reason why we need; mantras (II-V-I 1,2,3,5,7 - move to the dominant, bring in the half/whole tone, directions to the mind: play slower, play less, play more, repeat and play again . . ), mudras (finger excercises, hand patterns . . ) mandalas (graphic representation of music), slow focused breathing, inner directed movements - we need the aid of a disciplined consciousness in order to be able to allow (let) the sub-conscious roam free.

I've been practising an esoteric martial art since 81, a part of the school is a improvisational part called "Henka" which is literally free improv, no defense nr 54 against attack nr 47- but rather: no mind, no intention: just do whatever happens - let the inner mind/ear/body decide. But in order for my Henka to be 'good' or rather; a appropriate response to a situation I need to practice the basic forms (Kihon) again and again so that my body will 'know' what to do and when to do it.

So, I'll end my riffing here with a quote from Enter the Dragon (yeah I know smile ):
Lee: [a student approaches Lee; both bow] Kick me.
[Student looks confused]
Lee: Kick me.
[Student attempts kick]
Lee: What was that? An Exhibition? We need emotional content. Now try again!
[Student tries again]
Lee: I said "emotional content." Not anger! Now try again!
[Student tries again and succeeds]
Lee: That's it! How did it feel?
[Student thinks; Lee smacks his head]
Lee: Don't think. FEEL. It's like a finger pointing at the moon.
[Looks at student who is looking at the finger; smacks student again]
Lee: Do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all of the heavenly glory!
[Student bows; Lee smacks him again]
Lee: Never take your eyes off your opponent... even when you're bowing!
[Student bows again this time keeping his eyes on Lee]
Lee: That's better.

Last edited by chrisbell; 07/24/11 06:32 AM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by chrisbell
In order to let the subconscious go and do it's thing (performance)
one has to fill the conscious mind with information (practice)

The subconscious needs to have paths to move through.

Nicely in a nutshell.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Here are a few samples from one my gigs this weekend. This was my 8 piece band (Piano, Bass, Drums, Sax, Trumpet, Guitar, Percussion, Vocals). Forgive the loud background noise. There was a lot of people and some chose to hang out near the Zoom H4.

As usual, we don't rehearse any of these and many of the people in the band are new to each other. Seems to work out though.

There Will Be Another You
http://www.box.net/shared/r6sfx9atki1uf3ukzk9l

All Blues
http://www.box.net/shared/7erii8hlsrpu97lg0cza

Girl From Ipanema
http://www.box.net/shared/5oqc3fpfs74af4r2vzih

Canteloupe Island
http://www.box.net/shared/ey6zjaivbzzz5fm1h1tq

Mr PC
http://www.box.net/shared/zds558fv2us7u2x3l9kk

On Green Dolphin Street
http://www.box.net/shared/2utlv3qvx3u3bbok22z7

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sounds good!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
yeah sounding good jw
you should get a trio together to give you more of a chance to stretch out on the tunes

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey jazzwee, nice stuff from the gig! I especially like your solo on Canteloupe Island. Overall it sounds like a good group, and the vocalist sounds good too, which in my experience is always the weakest link frown. It's interesting because to me the group sounds better on the straight stuff... Girl, Canteloupe, Mr PC. The swing just feels a little squishy at times particularly in the solos, but it is harder to do I guess. I second beeboss's suggestion to try out a trio. It's a great way to really get into the tunes more and it sounds like you're ready for that. Have you thought about giving more space when comping? I think your solos were the strongest in the group, particularly the rhythm. Nice work!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks guys. You guys are right, there's not much time to stretch when there's 10 million soloists and you only have a chorus to play. But this has given me the confidence now and this light kind of jazz appeals to the audience.

In the meantime, I going to be able to build my skills.

Actually this is my band. I'm the leader so obviously I can just cut everyone out and leave it as a trio. So I'm not making money since I'm paying so many. If I do a trio though, I'd like to have an acoustic bass guy instead. I might think of that on some of the gigs.

Scott - swing definitely needs work. I didn't realize how hard it was to switch from latin to swing, which we did on several tunes (Green Dolphin, Invitation). Sometimes I don't feel like I was convincing in the change of feel. Typically the swing is overdone when it shifts. I need to listen to some records again to compare smile

In any case, this group is getting the gigs. We're pre-booked ahead for months. It's light jazz and the crowd loves it. The measure is always the bar sales smile We've been so successful at increasing the bar sales that they've kicked some other musicians out and put us in their place.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Scott, tell me more about what you mean by more space when comping. Which tune was I over comping? There's a guitar comping too and he's a bit of a problem.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice JW! Really really cool that you've made it this far!
That vocalist is a treat, make sure you keep him. To be blunt; fire the guitarist, you don't need one - and he does tend to get in your way. Nice rhythm section, not bad indeed.
Some tunes needs a horn arrangement, especially if they aren't playing unison - those trumpety: ba ba baah! got on my nerves a couple of times and reminded me how I dislike brassy showmanship, I'm much more for the mute or the softer, sexier sound of the trumpet.
Your comping is so much better, way to go! I enjoyed the solos. I also agree with maybe a trio setting per tune, now and again. Or just piano, vocals and a sax solo . . . on a ballad.
Next song maybe start with only the bass walking, perc and the vocalist doing the first verse, then bring in the whole band in the refrain.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Chris, I really appreciate the specific advice. And it's really funny to see me grow as a jazz musician right here in this thread. smile

The vocalist btw is someone seen on TV a lot. I don't watch a lot of TV but he has a lot of screen and TV credits. He's really quite a professional to work with.

My sax player BTW is a petite young woman. She's quite a hit with the crowd.

How about the percussionist? Any comments on that? I just added that for the first time this gig. This is why we did more latin. Does it work negatively in swing tunes?

On these particular gigs, ballads don't seem to go well. They apparently like the energy of the full rhythm section going. I usually do 2 ballads and I end up doing double-time feel on them. This is why Naima didn't get played.

Notice there really isn't any quiet moment in the audience. The place is packed and some listen more seriously than others. One of these days, I'll have to shoot for a true concert setting.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The percussionist was a great addition I think, I love congas in swing tunes (I'm a huge fan of percussion). But maybe not every swing tune?

Cool, more women in Jazz! When the sax started the solo in "There will be . . " wow! I dug that.

I find that sometimes ballads in busy crowds can work if they're sung.

Keep sax, drums, perc, bass, vox . . ehh and the pianist. smile
They are the more musical of the lot.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well I'm not sure about the pianist, I may have to dump him... wink

BTW I was playing solo piano the next day at the restaurant and I was ignored (as expected). The vibe and enjoyment of playing with a group is so different. It's hard to ignore a band. I will probably do less solo piano.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jazzwee
It's hard to ignore a band. I will probably do less solo piano.

Solo piano can be pretty hard work especially in a restaurant but it was definitely useful for me years ago when I was racking up about 12 hours of solo gigs a week. It forced me to play in a solo style which is something you can miss out on with a band. It gets the left hand really working. And gigs are always good experience even if they are not always enjoyable.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well that's the point. It's so much work but no one's paying attention. So it's emotionally draining. At least I got to practice 'Very Early' in public. I hardly ever get to do that.

Truly, every gig teaches something. On this one I realized I needed a larger list of solo piano tunes. Although my tune list is getting big now, solo piano needs a little bit of planning/arrangement to be convincing.

I was on a Cruise (Cruise Ship), a little over a week ago and I felt sorry for the Lounge pianist. It's a tough job. You put so much energy into what you do and nobody cares.

Well they do care because everyone likes the ambience of a piano playing. But they just like to hear the non-specific tinkle-tinkle of the piano. For part of my gig, I was having a conversation so I just doodled around for awhile.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Scott, tell me more about what you mean by more space when comping. Which tune was I over comping? There's a guitar comping too and he's a bit of a problem.

I don't think you're over comping... I just think for variety you could leave more space sometimes by not playing every chord or only stabbing a chord once.

Here's an example of what I mean over the first few bars of There Will Never Be Another You:

Ebmaj on "1" and "and of 2", nothing in bar 2, D-7b5 on "and of 1" in bar 3 and G7 on "and of 4" in bar 3 held into bar 4. Nothing in bars 5 and 6. Bb-7 on "1" of bar 7 and "3" of bar 7, then Eb7 on "and of 4" in bar 7 held into bar 8.

Hope this makes sense smile.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Truly, every gig teaches something. On this one I realized I needed a larger list of solo piano tunes. Although my tune list is getting big now, solo piano needs a little bit of planning/arrangement to be convincing.

I remember I used to improvise all the tunes together freely but it is really hard to get variety into the set. Tunes with a repetitive groove can be good for a bit of a change.

On that note here is my weekly youtube upload

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siqh2s2TY0s

Blackberry Winter by Alec Wilder, with a groove section towards the end

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Oh yeh ! Everything was beautiful about it, the tune, your touch, your improvised inner lines and the bluesey flavour. Have favourited it. Thanks for sharing Dave B.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
my pleasure custard apple

Page 153 of 341 1 2 151 152 153 154 155 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission