Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#1721147 - 07/26/11 10:03 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: NSA]
Bullitt Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: NSA
Thanks for the reply. So when I install pianoteq, will the notes sound 'normal'?
And is pianoteq for free?

Kind regards,

Nashwan

I use this page to convert midi to MP3:

http://www.truepianos.com/demos.php

Frank

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1721205 - 07/26/11 11:54 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
NSA Offline

Okay, I found out that I can connect the CN33 with a stereo jack cable. From the headphones out to the line in (of the laptop). Is this a good way to record?

Kind regards,

Nashwan

Edited by NSA (07/27/11 06:49 AM)

#1721317 - 07/26/11 03:49 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
What do you want to record - audio or midi, and why do you want to record?

#1721333 - 07/26/11 04:15 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
NSA Offline

I want to record audio. I just want to record my music plays. That's it.
Midi sounds bad, so I thought that connecting my DP with the laptop is better.

Kind regards,

Nashwan

Edited by NSA (07/27/11 06:48 AM)

#1721350 - 07/26/11 04:51 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Why not try out all the different methods mentioned above, then judge which one sounds best for yourself?

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1721634 - 07/27/11 04:29 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Easiest is probably to use your digital camera or camcorder. No connecting up of anything, and on mine (Canon camera) the sound is surprisingly good. If I wanted better I'd buy a Zoom or Flip. But as KJ says try the different options since they all offer different possibilities, midi editing to correct key mistakes and some transcription, PC with audacity to normalise the sound and some editing, a VST on the PC allows you to experience different pianos, a separate device is just convenient and may still have some editing capability on the PC afterwards. It still depends on what your goal is and a separate device sounds it would meet your needs, simply.

#1721660 - 07/27/11 06:48 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
NSA Offline

Well, I already tried to convert midi to mp3 and using my Kodak HD camera.
Converting midi to mp3 didn't sound good. And my laptop doesn't play the sound of my recording with the camera (I don't know why?). So I thought it would be easier if I buy a cable and connect it with my laptop...

Kind regards,

Nashwan

#1721666 - 07/27/11 07:12 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
8000 Post Club Member

NSA, try playing the Kodak HD camera files using VLC.

www.videolan.org/vlc

Cheers,
James
x

#1721683 - 07/27/11 08:54 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
NSA Offline

Thanks James! The sound works now.
Quality of the sound is quiet good. But is the sounds quality by cable better?
I'm just curious. If heard that many people use a cable to connect their Dp with their computer/laptop and then record their plays with a program like audacity.

Kind regards,

Nashwan

#1776823 - 10/25/11 10:32 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
Marcs Offline

Loc: GERMANY
Hi at all members of this forum!

After reviewing all the pages and discussions about pianos and especially the Kawai CN-33, I would like to join this list of fascinated KAWAI piano players!

First of all, many thanks for all the contributions about the instrument in this forum. Tho I found this page a little late and I already had made up my decision when I found this discussion group on Google, I felt like being a part of here.

I am from Germany and ordered the KAWAI CN-33 one and a half week ago.
I attended a music school and professionally learned playing the piano a while ago and then stopped due to personal reasons. Now, I am registered on the waiting list there to start off again with the piano and give it a new try. A new piano should be a good basic for the lessons and also for my personal playings and so I decided to get a new one (currently I've got an old Roland JV-35 synthesizer)
The decision was not too easy as I wasn't into this DP topic at all, however, a local music store around the corner helped me a lot with the decision and kind of changed my mind. First, my thougts were focussed on purchasing a Yamaha, but when the lady of the music shop introduced me to the KAWAI CN series, she totally changed my way of thinking.

Personally, I had the impression that the sound of the KAWAI DPs is much more warmer and fuller than those of Yamaha. The touch of the keys felt slightly different (more realistic) than the touch of the Yamaha's - my personal impression..
I decided for the outrageous satin white color as I feel it fits best to the given surroundings in my flat.

Right now, sitting here in my lonely room waiting for this one special call for the piano to be delivered to my flat just drives me crazy.
I hope I can upload some pictures of the Kawai soonest.

Kindest regards,
Marcs

#1776841 - 10/25/11 11:10 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
8000 Post Club Member

Congrats Marcs, and welcome to the forum!

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your outrageous CN33! wink

Cheers,
James
x

#1776853 - 10/25/11 11:25 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Kawai James]
Marcs Offline

Thanks James,

Hope to get them on here soon! cool

Keep in touch!

All the best
Marcs

#1776913 - 10/25/11 01:07 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yes congrats on your CN33. I've owned mine for more than a year now, practice most days for more than 1 hour, and to relieve male persistent GAS am always checking newer and 'better' (more expensive) DP's in the shops, but have to say I'm still satisfied with the purchase. The only suggestion I have is adjust the key touch to how you like it, then review it again after a while.

Edited by spanishbuddha (10/25/11 01:26 PM)

#1776935 - 10/25/11 01:41 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
Marcs Offline

muchas gracias spanishbuddha smile
It feels good to hear that you are still satisfied with your purchase! Practicing for more than an hour reminds me of myself wink I've also been practicing for more than 1 hour day by day. There is something essential missing - a teacher. Youtube was good for the beginning to refresh the knowledge of the elementary things, but the more you get better the more you try to play more difficult music pieces. How do you learn the piano?

I felt very comfortable with the pre-set configuration they had in the music store. It was standard mode. What is your personal preference? I remember my time at the music school some years ago playing a real acoustic piano and can remember the key weight to be quiet heavy. I also remember that I played "Für Elise" slower on the acoustic one than on my synthesizer due to the key weight - my synthi doesn't have any.. wink

I recently checked my inbox and received an email from the store - the piano is supposed to be delivered this Friday! Can't wait to wake up on Friday now wink

Have a great eve!

#1777076 - 10/25/11 06:07 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Friday huh, bet time has slowed down for you wink

I'm an older beginner and don't have a teacher. I've taught myself several Yann Tiersen and Einaudi pieces mostly from music sheets, all really way above my ability but they are the reason I started. Then I used the Piano Handbook and worked my way through to Fur Elise. Then in summer I realised I didn't really have a foundation built on chords, intervals, timing, sight reading, keys, so have started on Alfred's Level 1. I'm flying through it at the moment since compared to what I've learnt it seems a bit basic but I'm soaking it in. I may get a teacher next possibly in 2012. At least I can play pretty well about 10 or so decent pieces modern and classical which really exceeds my initial goal for starting.

Since I've had the CN33 I experimented with Pianoteq, liked it, also layering it on top of a CN33 sound, and also layering two CN33 piano sounds. Now I just use the default piano sounds usually 1-1, 2-1 or 2-3, but your ear may prefer others. I also use Church Organ to play Bachs Toccata which my family loves.

I don't remember the default touch setting. As a beginner I needed a heavier touch to get some control over the dynamics. I use HE1 and had to look as I had forgotten as I've not changed it now for ages.

I did have a Casio PX330 which had a lighter keyboard and was fun to play but I've now sold it. Hence the gas for a stage piano.

Enjoy your CN33 this weekend but don't overdo it.

#1777308 - 10/26/11 03:59 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: spanishbuddha]
Marcs Offline

Oh time really slowed down for me.. I already count the minutes and time won't pass by quickly. If I didn't have a job that makes me think of other things, I would have gone crazy wink

Interesting to hear how you began to become successful in playing the piano. Seems to be a good alternative for the very beginning. In my opinion, there will be an immense cut if no teacher will be considered for the future - except for the idea that you're "equipped" with a lot of talent by nature. I was glad to have a teacher in the beginning who taught me a big bunch of basics and advanced musical lessons - just to have an idea WHAT I'd play in theory when hitting the keys. When you have this knowledge, things will evolve quicker. Hence left and right hand playing seems to be more logical and easier to understand for your subconscious mind. At least that is what I have been experiencing during my "career".

I've already tried pianoteq, but stopped using it because of the wide variety of configurable settings. Personally, I think the KAWAI sound of the piano sounds very realistic (hum, I don't really have anything to compare than the acoustic piano I used to play in former times) and should do for some years.

I will try layering two piano sounds with the CN 33 and compare to single non-layered piano sound. I didn't try this one at the music store.

So you played Yann Tiersen as a beginner? WOW! According to my experiences, Yann Tiersen is pretty difficult to play. If you like the sound of Yann Tiersen, get yourself the music book of YIRUMA piano pieces. Just beautiful and I like the way how it feels to play his compositions. His tracks just leave me breathless.

I also had an eye at the stage pianos but did not like them too much for their optical appearance. The CN 33 just looked right for my desires.

Thanks for all your advise so far! I will be uploading the pictures on Friday - hopefully! smile

Have a nice rest of the week and take care!

Edited by Marcs (10/26/11 04:00 AM)

#1778638 - 10/28/11 08:34 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Marcs]
Marcs Offline

The Piano arrived yesterday in the evening - faster delivery than expected.

Unfortunately my tripod for the camera is broken and I couldn't take a good picture with long exposure time (evening and dim light) but I will take some more as soon as I get back home from work.

Here are some pics I could take yesterday. Sorry for the dark ones - I will upload two or three more soon - also of the whole Kawai.

The feeling of playing is just perfect! I really like the piano sounds of the piano! the others are great and breath-taking as well, but I only need the piano for the time being.

Have a great weekend!
Marcs

Edited by Marcs (10/28/11 08:39 AM)

#1778686 - 10/28/11 10:18 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Congrats Marcs, White looks really bold for the right surroundings. I've also got a tube lamp like yours, but in our bedroom not on the piano. The CN33 group of users here just keeps on going. Many stop contributing to PW presumably too busy playing.

#1778729 - 10/28/11 11:48 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
8000 Post Club Member

Congrats Marcs! The white CN33 looks terrific. wink

I hope your new piano brings you many years of musical enjoyment!

Have a great weekend.

James
x

#1778767 - 10/28/11 12:49 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Looks pretty good. In the right setting the white works well. I like the lamp and love the elephants. Now just take the plastic off your seat and get rid of the wood-chip wallpaper! grin

#1778798 - 10/28/11 01:17 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: spanishbuddha]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
Congrats Marcs, White looks really bold for the right surroundings. I've also got a tube lamp like yours, but in our bedroom not on the piano. The CN33 group of users here just keeps on going. Many stop contributing to PW presumably too busy playing.

Even Fred Lierman, the OP who started this thread, hasn't posted since July 2010.....are you still around Fred?
-

#1778878 - 10/28/11 03:00 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
Marcs Offline

Thanks everybody for your nice comments on my white Kawai. It really makes me feel good from inside to read your kind comments!

@spanishbuddah: Try putting your cylindric lamp on your DP as well, this helps you a lot during your playings! wink I don't prefer the light to come from the background or anything.. The lamp is just right and the shadow drops in a way that you don't mix up the keys wink

@EssBrace: Thanks smile I bought the elephants in a zoo and put them into my wall system - didn't touch them for several months, but I thought the piano would look better with some kind of African touch. Thanks for the advise to take off the plastic bag. Before I logged in here some minutes ago, I thought about the plastic bag to be standard equipment with the seat or if it is just there to protect the seat from dirt wink I took it off now. The wood-chip wallpaper.. well.. very good idea - I'll think about this again and then do some complete refurbishment of my living room. Seems like a piano can make you very busy - even if it's got nothing to do with hitting the keys laugh

How do all of you record your playings? Do you use MIDI or Line I/O? I thought about using an audio cable to record the sound with some suitable audio software. Maybe you've got some hints according to your daily experience.

#1779938 - 10/30/11 02:22 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Marcs]
Marcs Offline

Here go the other pics of my white Kawai I promised earlier in this thread:

I hope this will help future buyers to faciliate their decisions if they will already have chosen for the Kawai but need an idea what the white finish looks like.

Edited by Marcs (10/30/11 02:24 PM)

#1780031 - 10/30/11 05:27 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
8000 Post Club Member

Nice pics Marcs!

What kind of camera are you using?

Cheers,
James
x

#1780895 - 11/01/11 02:21 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Arrived ! [Re: Fred Lierman]
Marcs Offline

Thanks James,

I use a DSLR - Canon EOS 10D for my photos.

Best wishes,
Marcs

#1781117 - 11/01/11 01:19 PM Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... [Re: Marcs]
hannibal2 Offline

Loc: Budapest, Hungary, EU
...wow! I mean WOW! THIS CN33 in white looks so tamping, I just run out of words to say the least!!!

A piano in white! Sort of strange but MAN, this looks COOL!!! 10 out of 10!!!

One day I might get a CN33 like this!!

Till than I'm playing my Yamaha CP33 till it stands!!!

Thanks for the pics!!! You have an instrument like no other!

/z

#1781152 - 11/01/11 01:43 PM Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... [Re: Fred Lierman]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
I mean WOW, too. So beautiful. A marvel. It's like the 'Yes' at the end of Ulysses. In fact it looks life transforming. Get me one of those items!

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#1781299 - 11/01/11 05:52 PM Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... [Re: Fred Lierman]
8000 Post Club Member

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
- Charles Caleb Colton, Lacon, volume I, no. 183

#1781367 - 11/01/11 07:55 PM Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... [Re: Kawai James]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Thank you James. smile

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#1781535 - 11/02/11 02:16 AM Re: Never thought about a WHITE piano, now I'm in trouble... [Re: Fred Lierman]
Marcs Offline

Thanks everybody for your kind comments on the white CN 33 smile
It really is life changing and breathtaking! Everytime I see it, I just feel like "WOW, still can't believe this is in my house now!" smile
In the beginning I was unsure about purchasing a white one because it also looked strange to me in some way, but on the other hand this one took a seat in my mind. I couldn't stop thinking about this white piano, tho I wanted to purchase the rosewood finish beforehands. So I decided to take the white one and see what happens. BEST PURCHASE FOR ME since I am alive - truely! I would go with this white one again and again and again and again and...

I want to stress out again for all the unregistered readers that might be going through this thread right now, that it is not only the finish that looks promising, but also the sounds! I have never heard such nice sounds from a DP before! The feel of playing on the keys just feels right and you get that special feeling as if you are in concert playing on a grand piano! - This one is my best recommendation for the DPs for everyone with less money than the rich (sounds logical actually wink ).

Thanks again for all your kind comments!

Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (accordeur, Anne'sson, Almaviva, angga888, 40 invisible), 1463 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251496 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission