2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 7 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael Steen
Originally Posted by griffin2417

My cats leave the room when I start playing. It's a good thing I'm not overly sensitive.

Funny, but EVERYONE leaves the room when I start playing. Go figure.

Well, I guess we can't please them all!

Carl

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
tangleweeds, your info about your friend was helpful. I don't know if this is related, but I also tend to easily get car sick...and I suspect it is related to an inner ear issue. Oh, well. People are different. What sounds beautiful to one person, makes someone else sick.

I don't want to trigger any hypochondria, but I was just talking to this friend, and she now wonders whether this incident had anything to do with the fact that, several years later, she was diagnosed with a (beinign) inner ear tumor (which was successfully removed). As the tumor grew she had increasing problems with motion sickness and dizzy spells.

Interesting. I'm sure motion sickness and dizziness can be signs of other problems. But no chance of hypochonria with me. I really feel certain that I will be very healthy through old age.

I'm generally the driver when travelling by car and have no problem when I'm driving. And I'm no longer in choir as I used to be...so no longer in front row with the piercing sounds from a soloist. Mischief managed.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A student of mine some years ago said that her dog would moan along when she played Chopin's D flat prelude. It seemed to be an emotional reaction rather than ear pain. However, she thought that he might be objecting to having to hear the piece over and over and over as she practiced for a recital.

One cat liked to lie near me while I played guitar or lute. Various ones have stayed nearby while I practiced piano. One liked to lie across my feet so that it was hard to pedal, which I think was a logical and effective way to make sure I couldn't ignore her.

The most mysterious cat reaction was the one that would climb up and pat at our mouths when my husband or I played the flute. We couldn't figure out if he was curious about it or if he was desperate to have us stop. If he'd simply hated it or it hurt his ears, he could have asked to go out, so it was probably that he was trying to figure out what was going on. He didn't show an interest in any other instruments.

A guinea pig-- that's a new one. Anyway, since the critters aren't running away or hiding under the beds, we must not be bothering them! I hope!

Elene

My dog sleeps near me when I play the piano... but as soon as I start to play Beethoven sonata Op 90... he wakes up and climbs onto my lap. Only that piece! It amuses me every time. I thought perhaps it was the high octaves at the beginning of the 1st movement - but even if I don't play those - he still wants to get on my lap!

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Excuse me for dragging back this old thread. But I wanted to give an update.

Today I listened to the DVD of a student recital (my own teacher's studio). Beginners performed and my dog lay quietly (in the same room with me). When it got to intermediate performers he started whining. laugh (I got a kick out of it.)

This showed me that his response is not that he wants attention. I think he objects to dissonance, and forte playing.

I'm grateful that he is quiet when I'm teaching. He seems to know when he can get away with howling.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission