Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1723121 - 07/29/11 03:44 PM One player to rule them all...?
Colin Dunn Offline

Loc: Arvada, CO
Reading this forum has made me want to get a player piano somehow ... either by retrofitting an electronic system into my grand piano ($$$$), or adding a second piano (like a 1920s full-size upright or a 1960s-70s revival upright) that can play rolls ... or both. Though I grew up in the '70s, my parents had a Kimball console piano with a 64-note roll player, electric air pump. I spent hours and hours playing rolls on that piano, and even though I also played piano, I always dreamed of playing the way the pianists who cut the rolls did...

There are so many different and incompatible player piano systems, whether the old pneumatic systems or the modern solenoid-based / digital systems.

Has anyone managed to put together a player piano that can play most (if not all) formats - rolls, various competing discs, MIDI, etc.?

I'm surprised that QRS hasn't computerized / converted their decades-long library of piano rolls into newer digital formats. They quit making rolls last year but own everything they'd need - rights to distribute the music, as well as master copies of rolls that could be scanned into a computer and converted into Pianomation / MIDI data.

I'd think a Duo-Art / LX combination would get close to covering all bases for a player piano. Expression control for piano rolls that have it, and multi-format support for modern systems.

But is it even physically possible to put both systems in a single piano (either grand or upright)? I have doubts as there would be TWO player actions that have to control the keys / pedals. Or do player piano fans have to collect multiple instruments to listen to both rolls and electronic-based player piano libraries?

Was the Duo-Art system ever installed in uprights, or only grands? Everything I've seen on-line about Duo-Art showed the system on a grand piano. But I wouldn't have room (or $$$$) for TWO grand pianos, so if I got an upright that plays rolls, I'd want the best roll system for an upright that I could find.

Edited by Colin Dunn (07/29/11 03:58 PM)

#1723247 - 07/29/11 06:56 PM Re: One player to rule them all...? [Re: Colin Dunn]
Worrigee73 Offline

Hi Colin

I have a Duo Art upright in a 1920 Weber piano.Also yes its possible to get 2 types of systems into one piano.I currently have a roll playing Weber grand under restoration and the rebuilder even suggested adding pianomation (QRS) to it , if i wanted a larger selection of songs to play.

Below is a link to my Weber Duo Art playing.

Daniel smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y84s3ej2zn8

#1723545 - 07/30/11 01:30 PM Re: One player to rule them all...? [Re: Colin Dunn]
Colin Dunn Offline

Loc: Arvada, CO
Daniel - Quite a nice player piano there. Saw a couple more videos on your YouTube channel ... didn't even realize that QRS was putting out rolls of relatively recent pop songs (such as that Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves song).

Since my original post, I've seen that there are people scanning / converting piano rolls to MIDI, which is playable on the newer systems, preserving expression on the expression-capable rolls (such as Duo-Art).

I still dream of having a piano that can play rolls, discs, and MIDI. There's something mesmerizing about watching the notes / words pass by on a roll that the new systems can't duplicate.

But those roll systems are old and cantankerous machines that can require expensive restoration / repair work.

Guess I'll start keeping an eye out for a roll player that can later be retrofitted with PianoForce or PianoMation. (LX would be nice, but it's twice as expensive as PianoForce. And how much benefit is there to 1,024 velocity levels instead of 127? I'm not sure I could sit down at a piano and play a key with 127 discernable levels of dynamics, let alone 1,024.)

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
169 registered (accordeur, AliAlkhiro, ajames, 36251, 49 invisible), 1685 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157248 Topics
2309586 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Plan on playing this Thursday night
by Visalia
13 minutes 34 seconds ago
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
Today at 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
Today at 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
Today at 03:13 PM
Write melody contrapuntally
by kobethuy
Today at 03:03 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission