2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,010 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
plbri Offline OP
OP Offline
P
We just put a deposit on a J Strauss & Son piano and are looking for information / experiences with this piano since we were only able to find limited information. It is a model GJ72D, 5'8". It is a floor model. We played it and it sounds excellent. My daughters and I play, but no one is going to be a concert pianist. We are looking for a good consumer piano that will last us a long time. Would appreciate any information you can share. Thanks.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Made in China by Shanghai Piano Co.

Cheaply designed and constructed, so if you're expectations are not high, it might suit your needs. Check out Larry Fine's "The Piano Book" plus its most recent supplement. Don't have one handy so don't know his opinion.

I doubt these pianos have been made long enough to have a long-term track record, and as you would need to spend at least $10,000 more to get a good grand, your budget constraints may dictate this purchase rather than quality considerations. That's OK. You're casual pianists with a limited budget (I'm assuming around $8,000-$10,000, as that is the list price range of these pianos). Just understand you're buying what many "serious" pianists would consider to be an inferior instrument.

If you're committed to this price range, you should also know that there are any number of Chinese manufacturers selling this size grand for about this price.

August Förster 215
P
plbri Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Aaron, Thank you so much for the information. However, I've told there is a difference between a J Strauss & son piano and a Strauss piano (2 different companies and 2 different categories of pianos). I've been told that the J Strauss is made by a mfr in China called Seung vs. Shanghai piano. Do you have any insight on this? I am trying to find more info. I am committed to this price range for what we will use this for, but I'm looking for quality within this category (3). Thank you.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You're right, they're different makers. According to the Piano Technician's Guild database, J. Strauss & Sons pianos--

Pianos made in: Guangzhou and Dongbei, China and in Belarus, Russia.

August Förster 215
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, and here's a link to a piano rating site:

Piano Ratings

J. Strauss is rated considerably higher than Strauss.

August Förster 215
F
F
plbri,
The J Strauss is a different company than Strauss. The problem is that the J. Strauss is a private label brand belonging to the dealer you purchased it from, so there may not be an abundance of non biased information pro or con. I do not have an opinion regarding this brand, but I wanted to shed some light on why it is hard for you to find information.

Aaron,
That rating site is owned/operated by the same dealer as above FYI.

Purveyor of fine Pianos and Organs
www.altenburgpiano.com
908 351 2000
P
plbri Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'm told that the J Strauss is made by Sejung in China. There is ASC (America Sejung Corp) who sells a Falcone which looks to be the same if not similar. Do you know anything about this piano?

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by AaronSF:
Oh, and here's a link to a piano rating site:

Piano Ratings

J. Strauss is rated considerably higher than Strauss.
Aaron, I belief that site is discredited because it was assembled by a dealer? I seem to recall this.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by Fred Altenburg:
plbri,
The [b]J
Strauss is a different company than Strauss. The problem is that the J. Strauss is a private label brand belonging to the dealer you purchased it from, so there may not be an abundance of non biased information pro or con. I do not have an opinion regarding this brand, but I wanted to shed some light on why it is hard for you to find information.

[/b]
Well, then can you tell me anything about the Altenburg labeled pianos?

laugh

F
F
I knew someone would ask that..of course it's Chris laugh

The upright pianos bearing the Altenburg name are stencil, as long as they can be marketed as a decent instrument for the money. Currently, Samick and Beijing are producing them for me.

Grands can be had either way of stencil or custom-made to specifications (depending how many containers you want to order). The 4'7", 4'11", 5'2" are stenciled and the 5'3", 5'7", 5'10", and 6'3" all have individual strung unisons and small cabinetry changes done.

Currently, there is not a 7'2" in production because: 1)Lack of demand,and 2)I could not get a good price on what I consider quality to put my name on to be marketed at the price level I want to be.

That's enough of me now; I don't want to hijack this person's thread. I only contributed because it seemed this party was not getting any info they wanted, so I explained why. I also realize that there is lack of info, good or bad, about my own line and I hope the above may shed some light.

www.altenburgpiano.com
908 351 2000
F
F
plbri,
An individual would have no idea where or who this instrument was made by, unless it is seen. If you like the piano, have a outside tuner examine it.
The J. Strauss I have seen personally were trade ins, and they are all Belarus.

www.altenburgpiano.com
908 351 2000
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I knew someone would ask that..of course it's Chris laugh
Fred:

My point that was that for pianos that are sole-sourced, like the pianos of the topic and your stencils, it's best NOT to ask the people selling them about how good they are.

laugh

F
F
oh....DOH!

www.altenburgpiano.com
908 351 2000
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
oh....DOH!
Look in the mirror.. you'll see a SALESMAN..

laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Clever piano manufacturers, setting up a phony piano evaluation page! I am so shocked

August Förster 215
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wow! That rating site gives Fazioli VERTICAL six stars! wink

Here's another fun one.
http://www.jstraussandsonpiano.com/local_dealer.html

Feel free to type in any zip code to find your local dealer for J Strauss & Sons pianos to find a price comparison.

Brian Lee
Cunningham Piano Company
Representing Yamaha, Petrof, Bosendorfer, Cunningham in the Philadelphia, South Jersey area.
W
W
I am a frank newbie and this is my first post here.

Thanks to these forums, I think I avoided a huge mistake. I also put a down-payment on the J. Strauss (not knowing much and wanting a piano for my daughter). Having read through this and a few other threads, I quickly cancelled the order and had my deposit refunded.

I relearned a valuable lesson: The stronger the pitch, the more profit. The more profit the dealer makes on a lower cost item, the cheaper his/her cost. The cheaper his/her cost, the cheaper the product. I shoulda' seen it coming.

So this was my second bad experience in my second piano dealer. I'm not clear what to do now.

I am looking for an upright for my daughter who is just about a year into lessons and needs to move from the electronic keyboard. Realistically, an upright in the $4000-$6000 range is my limit. I expect to upgrade in 4 years if all goes well with her, but who knows. I think I prefer new. Finally, I'm in Central New Jersey and I now don't know which dealers to trust. Any help from unbiased folks would be appreciated.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission