Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
133 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, anotherscott, A Guy, anamnesis, 52 invisible), 1853 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1723224 - 07/29/11 06:05 PM How do you deal with bratty students?
ILoveMusicTheory Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
I have a student who is a seven going on eight year old boy. He has been taking lessons with me for about nine months. He started as an absolute beginner. Even though most average seven year olds pass through the Primer Level (Piano Adventures) in six to seven months, this child is still lagging around page 20 or so.

My issue is not the slow pace, as I believe that he might have a learning disability that has gone unacknowledged and unaddressed by his mother. Going slow is not an issue and he seems content to take a month to learn what other kids finish in a week. The main issue is that he doesn't practice on his own at all. His mom helps him and if she doesn't have time, it's a no go.

Last week, he acted out and slammed his hands on the piano. I said to him, "The next time you do that, lesson is over. I only tell you once."

He cannot get through the song Merrily We Roll Along because his attention drops. He can barely get through Old MacDonald and he actually seems to like that one. His mom is not helping; she basically lets him do whatever he wants, he is allowed to play horribly violent video games that he's obsessed with, and she allows him to watch South Park. When he gets ornery, she claims "oh, he's just having a bad day today."

I'm just not sure what to do with him. He seemed to like me until I actually tried to get him to put some effort into lessons. I'm fairly sure that he's got a learning disability that is being exacerbated by some outside factor, though I'm not sure what. I work regularly with disabled and mentally-challenged students, the difference, however, is that in those cases the parents know and admit their child has a disability.

If any of you have advice from your own experiences as teachers, I'd be very grateful for it.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1723287 - 07/29/11 09:33 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: ILoveMusicTheory
.......My issue is not the slow pace, as I believe that he might have a learning disability that has gone unacknowledged and unaddressed by his mother. Going slow is not an issue and he seems content to take a month to learn what other kids finish in a week............... His mom is not helping; she basically lets him do whatever he wants, he is allowed to play horribly violent video games that he's obsessed with, and she allows him to watch South Park. When he gets ornery, she claims "oh, he's just having a bad day today.

It could be that the student is anxiety prone and feels most comfortable moving at a snail's pace. As someone who is used to working with that type of student, you no doubt have the required patience to move the child along slowly. Good for you.

What is the mother thinking? Violent video games and South Park? My God. That is unacceptable for a 7 yr old (and I happen to love South Park).

This may be a long shot, but do you know any of the boy's school teachers, or any other school professional that can give you some advice? That's where I usually go for help in these situations.

But without proper parental support, even the best advice can be ineffective.

#1723312 - 07/29/11 11:09 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I would sit down and talk with the mother, without the child being present. I'm not sure how you could arrange this, but I think it is necessary.

Let her know how important it is for a young child to have the parent involved in the practice sessions. I don't know many 7 year olds who do everything they're supposed to without being told. This is perfectly normal (be sure to let her know this) and offer suggestions on how she can help him practice. Stay positive and let her know this is how she can get her money's worth in lessons. Without practice, after all, the money is mostly wasted.

You may want to delicately, ask if he has been tested for whatever disability you suspect he has. You may want to broach the subject by first being very generic in your questioning, like: "How is he doing in school? What are his good subjects? What are his weaker subjects? Has the teacher approached you at all about concerns she has? Then let her respond. Hopefully she will let you know that his teacher has noticed behaviors that you personally have suspected. It's better if she tells you rather than you tell her. However if she is not forthcoming or if the teacher hasn't noticed, let her know your experience with working with special needs students and that you suspect there may be an issue (especially if it is in line with problem she has at school). You'll have to be delicate and caring, but suggest that they may want to look into that a bit more.

You never know, the mom might be tearing her hair out and not knowing how to handel her son, but with a diagnosis and education on what his condition may be, she can learn on the best ways of dealing with that.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1723377 - 07/30/11 02:25 AM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: Morodiene]
AZNpiano Online   happy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
You never know, the mom might be tearing her hair out and not knowing how to handel her son, but with a diagnosis and education on what his condition may be, she can learn on the best ways of dealing with that.

I doubt it. It looks like she's in denial.

Just drop the student. What a nightmare!

#1723421 - 07/30/11 07:36 AM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: AZNpiano]
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

I doubt it. It looks like she's in denial.

Just drop the student. What a nightmare!

That's what I think too, but it's worth trying, and perhaps if said in a caring and delicate way, she will take it to heart. It's possible that the child's school teacher has already suggested testing and if she hears it from a 3rd party who wasn't in contact with the first teacher she'll listen. It certainly can't hurt to say something at this point (as long as it's done tactfully).
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1723432 - 07/30/11 08:49 AM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
Luke in ChiTown Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are times when we as piano teachers can make a real difference in a student's life- in ways that sometimes go far beyond things musical.

BUT, given the limited amount of time we have with each student each week, our ability to influence children with severe behavioral issues or diagnose learning disabilities is quite limited. There are times when I tenaciously hold on to a student in the hopes that I can turn them around, but there are also situations that I just cannot fix.

And the problem with those situations that I can't fix is that if I continue to work with that student, it usually consumes an inordinate amount of my time and energy, not to mention the anxiety it causes me. All of this works to the detriment of my other students who stand to benefit more from what I have to offer.

Really, only experience helps you to know the difference.

Make a difference where you can, but never feel ashamed or unjustified in letting a student go.
Now available for Android as well as iOS devices.

#1723593 - 07/30/11 03:51 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
BadOrange Offline

Loc: Banned
yellow pages. No bruising and most people have one.

#1723610 - 07/30/11 04:33 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: Luke in ChiTown]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: Luke in ChiTown

And the problem with those situations that I can't fix is that if I continue to work with that student, it usually consumes an inordinate amount of my time and energy, not to mention the anxiety it causes me. All of this works to the detriment of my other students who stand to benefit more from what I have to offer.

I TOTALLY agree with everything you wrote. Problem students leach all my energy and patience, so afterwards I have nothing left to give to my best students.

#1723809 - 07/30/11 11:20 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: BadOrange]
AZNpiano Online   happy
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BadOrange
??? Are you actually suggesting that we should hit kids with yellow pages?

#1724642 - 08/01/11 04:01 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
ILoveMusicTheory Offline

Wow, thank you so much for this advice! It is amazing. Now I feel like I'm fully armed to deal with this. He's actually here for a lesson right now and he's already messing around as I suspected he would.

#1724666 - 08/01/11 04:40 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: Morodiene]
ILoveMusicTheory Offline

Well, believe it or not, the boy and his mother just left my Studio. The boy came in, already acting out, whining that he "didn't want to take lessons anymore" and "wanted to quit." I calmly called his bluff and called his mother into a meeting in my soundproofed Studio room and suggested they take a month-long break from lessons.

Thanks to the advice I found here at Piano Forums, it was like a 100 pound weight was lifted off my shoulders!! Seriously I cannot thank you people enough. I used Morodiene's exact words, asking what the child's best subject and what his strengths were. I asked to network with his main elementary school teacher if he returns to lessons, and now a little more about that:

Here's the truth: I will not allow him to return to my Studio until he displays the right enthusiasm and attitude and readiness to learn. I don't care how slow he learns something as long as he has the right attitude while learning it, which for now he doesn't. He's got one month to completely make a turn around or it is no go. There's a 99 percent chance I won't let him back.

After I talked to mom, the three of us spoke together for about ten minutes. He talked about video games most of the time. She made a laundry lists of excuses as to why his attitude is so bad (uh, lady, did you ever think it's because he's spoiled?) I think he was shocked by having lessons taken away: these kids are raised to think that soccer, piano, chess club, etc. are owed to them as a right and not a privilege.

Mom is in 100% total denial that her son may have disability. I've seen this before--there's pretty much nothing I can do on my end. Thanks AZN for reinforcing my decision to end the lesson relationship with them on my terms.

All of you really helped me. I feel good about my decision to shake this student and now I can devote my time and energy to other things.

You may want to delicately, ask if he has been tested for whatever disability you suspect he has. You may want to broach the subject by first being very generic in your questioning, like: "How is he doing in school? What are his good subjects? What are his weaker subjects? Has the teacher approached you at all about concerns she has? Then let her respond. Hopefully she will let you know that his teacher has noticed behaviors that you personally have suspected. It's better if she tells you rather than you tell her. However if she is not forthcoming or if the teacher hasn't noticed, let her know your experience with working with special needs students and that you suspect there may be an issue (especially if it is in line with problem she has at school). You'll have to be delicate and caring, but suggest that they may want to look into that a bit more.

Thank you for this!!

#1724702 - 08/01/11 06:05 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I'm glad you were able to resolve the situation. The collective wisdom of people here can be very helpful!

Can I just make an observation? I didn't notice whether you have always had your name and studio details in your signature line (I only just noticed them now), but with all the very specific detail you have been providing about this student I'm feeling uncomfortable. Maybe it's unlikely he or his mother will ever find this forum. But if they do, it will be obvious who you're talking about - on a public internet forum.

#1724723 - 08/01/11 06:41 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
dewar Offline

eh it wouldn't matter. They've gone unnamed so that lil tiff is a dead end.

As for what they think who cares. It's universally unspoken.

Was the right thing to do to ditch the kid. Odds are he prolly screams with some kind of high sonic noise until he gets whatever he's faking about.

And if a kid can't practice on his own with the means, he isn't taking the subject at hand even halfheartedly seriously.

Edited by dewar (08/01/11 06:41 PM)

#1724730 - 08/01/11 06:58 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yeah, I'm sure this mom is so into his music education that she's snooping around on piano teacher online forums...lol!

I'm so glad you did it and feel great about it!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1724737 - 08/01/11 07:07 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: Stanny]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Stanny
Yeah, I'm sure this mom is so into his music education that she's snooping around on piano teacher online forums...lol!

I'm so glad you did it and feel great about it!
I'm glad she did it, too, as I said. I was just making a point about this being a public forum. If you google the OP's name and "piano" (as any one of her students, potential students or their parents might), one of first 10 hits is "How do you deal with bratty students?", this thread. If she's fine with that, that's ok. I wouldn't be, and that's why I mentioned it.

#1724759 - 08/01/11 07:46 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: currawong]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Currawong, your point is important. We always have to assume that people we are teaching may be reading this forum. Suppose, for instance, that I write negatively about a student whose parents would never come here. It does not mean that other parents might not visit.

Even when I mention a student by age, I don't give enough facts for anyone to realize that I am talking about any student in particular.

It is one thing to vent here, and we all do it sometimes. But for our own protection, it is best to stick to details in private conversations! wink

#1724764 - 08/01/11 07:55 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
keystring Offline

Loc: Canada
What if the title were changed to something like "uncooperative students"?

#1724797 - 08/01/11 08:42 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
NightDream Offline

Hi! I'm new here and this forum is great!

This thread made me laugh because I've had a couple of difficult students who don't stay on task, don't practice, don't seem to actually want to take piano lessons, etc. Oddly, I think some parents don't care that they're not progressing and it becomes glorified babysitting. I think, "Wouldn't you rather pay $10 an hour for a babysitter than $50?"

As much as I think, "Hey, you should be happy because you are getting paid", I just can't stand those situations and am happy to let those students go at the first opportunity. I did stay with a difficult student who has ADD because he did seem at least interested and I know his mom tries very hard with him. He is very challenging and she appreciated me because I "knew his number". When he was off his meds though, it was horrible. He suddenly couldn't play songs he had played fine before and would say, "I can't do it! It's too hard!" I've witnessed him shutting down in social situations when he gets overstimulated. It was interesting though because one day when I came over, he was having a meltdown over his homework and went back to it with ease after his piano lesson.

It helped a lot to give him mini goals. Sometimes there were little rewards for one song at a time. Other times I had to get him through one measure at a time and then his anxiety would subside as he realized he could do it. I told him, "Just the first measure and that's it!" So he played that fine and I said, "OK, just the next measure." I did that repeatedly and he started to laugh because he knew I was tricking him into playing the whole song. He then played it again without complaint when he realized he could do it.

Years ago there is no way I would have put up with it, but now that I have four children, I feel like I have more tools to deal with teaching kids and most stuff just rolls off my back.

#1724804 - 08/01/11 08:55 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
ILoveMusicTheory Offline

Hi All,

I changed my signature and profile to make myself anonymous, thanks Currawong for pointing that out!!

I feel confident that I treated my "bratty" student with respect and dignity. He's going to face severe problems that grow directly from his parent's refusal to discipline him. I've seen this sort of laissez faire upbringing result in drug addiction, criminal behavior, and even juvenile prison. He's already constantly angry for an eight year old and has no idea why.

As a music teacher, I can only offer lessons to kids who really want them, and the kids I teach include people with autism, mental retardation, and partial deafness. Lessons with me often influences these children's lives in a happy way, but I can't begin to address what's going on with this boy and his mother's total denial means that she's not willing to address the problem either.

Anyway, kudos to all the parents out there who make boundaries for their children, even though it can be hard to say "no" to a cute little face. You're on the right track!

Edited by ILoveMusicTheory (08/01/11 08:58 PM)

#1724845 - 08/01/11 10:05 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ILoveMusicTheory
...thanks Currawong for pointing that out!!
And thanks for understanding. smile

#1724890 - 08/01/11 11:33 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
slerk Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
If you're not American, you don't.

Chinese and Russian teachers are known for cursing or abusing their students..

#1724892 - 08/01/11 11:38 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: slerk]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: slerk
(Clarification needed)If you're not American you don't what?

#1724912 - 08/02/11 12:17 AM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: AZNpiano]
BadOrange Offline

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Originally Posted By: BadOrange
??? Are you actually suggesting that we should hit kids with yellow pages?

i'm suggesting you handle it with such disregard for safety that it somehow hits the child on the head preferably. Yes , that is what I am suggesting. Your word against his. And he is a kid with a wild imagination. His parents won't think anything of it. The only problem is that the yellow pages is being discontinued in many states. Perhaps a rather large music anthology.

#1725288 - 08/02/11 03:42 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I think he meant if you aren't American, you don't deal with bratty students. American culture is awfully tolerant of such behavior and being so litigious, we hesitate to act on it.

#1725303 - 08/02/11 03:57 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: slerk]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

same with the Japanese or the old fashioned American teachers

Getting beat around the head (well, maybe not physically) at every lesson is a good way to keep your student working hard (and I know from experience from being a student) !!

#1725307 - 08/02/11 04:03 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I always am aware that others are reading this forum. Part of me was thinking it might be a GOOD idea if she recognized her son in this thread, but doubted she cares enough to even research it.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1725800 - 08/03/11 11:29 AM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: slerk]
ILoveMusicTheory Offline

Honestly, some calmly-delivered corporal punishment would have helped my bratty student. Imagine a Chinese, Japanese, or Russian teacher slapping him upside the head . . . the parents would have cried "abuse!" and gotten lawyers involved.

One of the reasons parenting in America is so impossible is because you're labeled as an "abuser" for spanking a child if it misbehaves. It's ridiculous.

That's why I had to dismiss the "bratty student" from my roster. Being in America ties my hands--no one, including his parents, is allowed to discipline this child properly. At any rate, he's seven and it's too late, his behaviors are pretty much cemented. Spoiled kids are almost always angry and expect to be pampered and indulged well into adulthood. It's a recipe for future mischief. And now my tax dollars will fund his prison stay 10 or so years from now, if he even waits that long, yippee.

#1725828 - 08/03/11 12:08 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: slerk]
AZNpiano Online   happy
5000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the stereotype!

#1726009 - 08/03/11 04:11 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I'm Welsh.

Welsh piano teachers beat up kids, then send them down coal mines.

That's the secret of *my* success as a piano teacher. <droll sarcasm>

laugh

#1726048 - 08/03/11 05:04 PM Re: How do you deal with bratty students? [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
If I had only known it was too late for me, at seven years of age. But perhaps it would be too discouraging if we did know as much about our future lives as our piano teachers know.

Just for the sake of discussion, it does seem to me that there is a middle ground for guiding the behavior of the young, short of beating and reform school.

Still, I'll admit that my niece was headed south by seven, and has continued straight down from then until now. I hate to allow it, but maybe the OP has a point. A very dark one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations at Piano World Headquarters 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
12/20/14 02:28 PM
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
12/20/14 01:37 PM
5 adjacent dead keys
by levendig
12/20/14 01:18 PM
Like Someone In Love - a rhythmic approach
by marcuslchoi
12/20/14 12:43 PM
mp11
by mike2014
12/20/14 11:42 AM
Forum Stats
77372 Members
42 Forums
160016 Topics
2349883 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission