Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1724477 - 08/01/11 11:36 AM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: PaulaPiano34]
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: chobeethaninov

Also, is this just me, or does it seem like recently there's a lot of emphasis on looks? Like Wang with her skimpy silk dresses and Lisitsa with her blonde hair blowing all over the place?? IMHO there seems to be a lot of "looks show" going on (who can make the best faces or wear the best designer clothes) and less about the actual music.

Seems to be a lot of that these days. Not that it didn't happen before - just look at some of Argerich's early DG covers. She wasn't wearing skimpy clothes, but her smoldering sensuality came through the camera lens.

On a related note, I stumbled on this site, which some may find amusing:

http://awkwardclassicalmusicphotos.com/

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1724485 - 08/01/11 11:57 AM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: Hank Drake]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Hank Drake

Also, is this just me, or does it seem like recently there's a lot of emphasis on looks? Like Wang with her skimpy silk dresses and Lisitsa with her blonde hair blowing all over the place?? IMHO there seems to be a lot of "looks show" going on (who can make the best faces or wear the best designer clothes) and less about the actual music.

Seems to be a lot of that these days. Not that it didn't happen before - just look at some of Argerich's early DG covers. She wasn't wearing skimpy clothes, but her smoldering sensuality came through the camera lens.

Yes but that I feel is different. Argerich never put looks before music and her sensuality was just something that came from inside of her strong personality.

#1724520 - 08/01/11 12:54 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Skorpius Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
Please do not compare other pianists to Horowitz.................

There are tons of pianists that I'd rather hear than Horowitz.

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

#1724522 - 08/01/11 01:01 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: Hank Drake]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: Hank Drake

Those are nice.

I always thought the worst album covers ever were Norrington's Bruckner covers. He looks like the drunk uncle at a party. Awful:

http://www.musicalcriticism.com/recordings/cd-norrington-bruckner7.jpg
http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00136/bruckner-cd-cover_136785t.jpg
http://media.jazzstore.com/cache/w200/pr...mphony-no-6.jpg

#1724532 - 08/01/11 01:19 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: slerk]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
As I said in "the other Argerich thread" where a video was posted of Wang accompanying Harrell in Brahms: If I had been an audience member and Wang had walked on stage dressed as she is in that video, I'm enough of an old fogey to have got up and walked out in disgust.

Regards,

#1724538 - 08/01/11 01:33 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: argerichfan]
BadOrange Offline

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: argerichfan
Originally Posted By: stores
Yuja, however, possesses technique like none I've yet witnessed. I've heard thousands of pianists and for me to say that her technique blows me away, well, it's saying something.

stores, is there a particular YouTube you could recommend? I only say this because I value your input.

As for technique, well this is hard to beat:

thanks for posting that. Great technique and posture. None of that overindulgent body movement. I love the way he bounces on the keys. That is how its done.

Edited by BadOrange (08/01/11 01:34 PM)

#1724601 - 08/01/11 03:02 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: slerk]
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: ♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
Some people in this thread seem to mix up objective technical ability with subjective artistic preference.

#1724614 - 08/01/11 03:24 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: slerk]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Focusing on looks (skimpy clothes, flowing blonde hair) seems to work against these pianists! People judge them based on how they dress and somehow have a model in mind that assigns an inverse relationship between a pianist being conscious about looks and his/her talent. That's what I perceive from several of the comments made here.
Next in line:
Chopin: Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op.23
Debussy: Le vent dans la plaine (Prelude 3, Book 1)
Debussy: Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir (Prelude 4, Book 1)

#1724637 - 08/01/11 03:59 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: liszt85]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: liszt85
Focusing on looks (skimpy clothes, flowing blonde hair) seems to work against these pianists! People judge them based on how they dress and somehow have a model in mind that assigns an inverse relationship between a pianist being conscious about looks and his/her talent. That's what I perceive from several of the comments made here.

It seems to be more of a piano phenomenon than a violin one. People seem to be more accepting of attractive violinists for some reason. (Josefowicz, Hahn, St. John, Akiko-Meyers...)

On a bit of a tangent, I think male pianists err too far in the wrong direction - ignoring dress altogether and wearing the same drab suits all the time. The French seem to be way ahead of the curve: Thibaudet, Tharaud, and Bavouzet always look pretty sharp.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1724662 - 08/01/11 04:37 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: Kreisler]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Kreisler
The French seem to be way ahead of the curve: Thibaudet, Tharaud, and Bavouzet always look pretty sharp.

Not to mention:

Whew!

#1724680 - 08/01/11 05:05 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: liszt85]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm not saying that once I see a skimpy-dressed pianist, I immediately judge them as bad, but I feel people are emphasizing looks too much over the actual music making.

#1724707 - 08/01/11 06:14 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: slerk]
BadOrange Offline

Loc: Banned
honestly, anyone at that age has earned the right to never be criticized for being old or "losing their touch". When you get old, you get old. Just a little rude considering what she had/has accomplished. It is not easy playing piano at that age. Very few can. Unless you have played with perfect technique all your life, you are bound to have some health issues that will make playing very painful. Not to mention your hearing is most likely down to 6 kHz.

#1724708 - 08/01/11 06:15 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: BadOrange]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BadOrange
honestly, anyone at that age has earned the right to never be criticized for being old or "losing their touch". When you get old, you get old. Just a little rude considering what she had/has accomplished. It is not easy playing piano at that age. Very few can. Unless you have played with perfect technique all your life, you are bound to have some health issues that will make playing very painful. Not to mention your hearing is most likely down to 6 kHz.

+1

#1724739 - 08/01/11 07:08 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: BruceD]
nola Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Agree, Bruce!

#1724740 - 08/01/11 07:14 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: PaulaPiano34]
nola Offline

Loc: Louisiana
furthermore, the videos w/the gals inappropriately dressed--well
they are getting really obscene comments. If you are really
focused and serious about your art, why take such silly
side-trips...it just generates more offensiveness, poor taste,
entices kooks to post junk...

#1724846 - 08/01/11 10:07 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: BruceD]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: BruceD
...I'm enough of an old fogey to have got up and walked out in disgust...
All part of the charm we love Bruce smile

#1724880 - 08/01/11 11:19 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: pianoloverus]
slerk Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Originally Posted By: slerk
Yang is really, really popular among the Asian community, I can tell you that. More so than Li Yundi or Lang Lang (obviously).
What do you base this statement on or is just idle speculation?

Let's see, I am Asian myself and don't live in a pineapple under the sea.

#1724881 - 08/01/11 11:21 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: PaulaPiano34]
slerk Offline

I'm not saying that once I see a skimpy-dressed pianist, I immediately judge them as bad, but I feel people are emphasizing looks too much over the actual music making.

This used to not be a problem with records and CDs! But a lot of the appeal in piano music is the presentation as well; which is why LL has a strong fanclub and Liszt was so popular.

Somebody mentioned the Bach Partitas? Her Bach is amazing; it truly sings. Her Partitas really show her musicality. She can play Bach as romantically as Chopin Nocturnes or as violently as certain Prokofiev. I applaud her!

#1724891 - 08/01/11 11:36 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: Ridicolosamente]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ridicolosamente

Yes, we do love Bruce. He can be so unintentionally funny sometimes! (Just kidding.)

This is why I love this forum so much, all the colourful members here, pianoloverus, Kreisler, stores, bad orange, MarkC, liszt85, the 'other' Jason, Andromaque... never a dull moment.

#1724905 - 08/02/11 12:11 AM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: Ridicolosamente]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ridicolosamente

BruceD-my favorite person.

#1724988 - 08/02/11 03:19 AM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: slerk]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
Who cares if her technique is not what it was 30 years ago? Seriously, comparing YW or VL to MA is plain obscene. I guess Arrau recordings from his 30s are better than the ones from his 60s because his technique wasn t the same? Everybody blames the age of Argerich. There are a lot of examples of pianists with a flawless technique at 70 and older. Argerich probably has other issues. Watching her most recent videos , i can t see any flaws in her technique.

This whole technique thing ... kids go out of the conservatoire and we re supposed to believe they are Arraus or Richters or Marthas. It takes something more than fast fingers to become an artist of such stature. It s not the olympics, you know ... Meanwhile, there a re a ton of artists that remain obscure that are worth in my opinin much more than most of these young virtuosos.

#1725009 - 08/02/11 05:43 AM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: slerk]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

There are plenty of pianists (and violinists) who keep performing in public well past their sell-by date, when their technique has gone into tatters - I actually attended a concert recently of one such pianist who I'd admired on his CD recordings (made over 20 years ago), and wished I hadn't....

If only he'd followed the example of Ashkenazy, who has long stopped playing piano in public because he couldn't rely on his fingers on the day anymore due to arthritis (though he still makes excellent recordings).

But I can't say that Argerich is in that category - her playing technically is still in the top drawer (based on recent concert broadcasts). She isn't one of my favorite pianists - her sudden impulsive spurts of tone and pace, which are present also in her earliest recordings - are still there, and remain disconcerting to me because they seem random and often misplaced (e.g. in a recent broadcast of Chopin's E minor Concerto). OK in a live concert, but disturbing on repeated hearings.

#1725024 - 08/02/11 07:19 AM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: slerk]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Yang is really, really popular among the Asian community, I can tell you that. More so than Li Yundi or Lang Lang (obviously).

So if I'm Caucasian, I'll automatically know how three white pianists rank in popularity?

#1725037 - 08/02/11 08:13 AM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: slerk]
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I really can't find anything wrong with Argerich's technique these days. Having a good technique at 70 - which really isn't all that old - is not remarkable in and of itself. Having the kind of stratospheric level of technique (not just mechanics, but real technique) that Argerich still posesses is noteworthy. And her musical insights have improved with age - for example, she's much more convincing in slow movements than she used to be.

Let's also remember that Argerich faced a life threatening illness about a decade ago. We're lucky she's still alive and blessing us with such great music making.

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

#1725135 - 08/02/11 11:50 AM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: argerichfan]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Can we make a BruceD appreciation thread? laugh

Yes, we do love Bruce. He can be so unintentionally funny sometimes! (Just kidding.)

This is why I love this forum so much, all the colourful members here, pianoloverus, Kreisler, stores, bad orange, MarkC, liszt85, the 'other' Jason, Andromaque... never a dull moment.

frown frown

#1725175 - 08/02/11 12:45 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: Orange Soda King]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

frown frown

OSK is the most colorful of all: ORANGE!
Next in line:
Debussy: Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir (Prelude 4, Book 1)

#1725189 - 08/02/11 01:04 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: liszt85]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

frown frown

OSK is the most colorful of all: ORANGE!

yeah, I kinda forgot to include him...

#1725190 - 08/02/11 01:06 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: PaulaPiano34]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

How do you know that all the attention they give to looks takes away attention from music? You feel that way though, and that's all I said. The fact that you think there is an inverse correlation is all I was commenting on. Btw, I wasn't commenting on just your post. This seems like a general view here on PW, one that I don't agree with. There very likely exists one (or more) shabbily dressed horrible pianist for every well dressed horrible pianist. wink

Also, all the "well dressed" and pianists people refer to in such threads are always the younger pianists (LL, YW, VL, etc). Have you ever considered the thought that it might actually be the case that you prefer older pianists to these younger pianists and so are misled into believing that choice of dress has an inverse relationship with musicality?

So I don't think people should even care about what dress or suit pianists choose to wear. Comment on the musicality, that's all fine. However, to say that focusing on looks takes away attention from the music (or "emphasize looks OVER the actual music making") is being unfair. I think they are all the more professional for taking the effort to look good on stage as well, to provide a complete experience to a live audience (visual as well as auditory).
Next in line:

#1725193 - 08/02/11 01:09 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: pianoloverus]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

So if I'm Caucasian, I'll automatically know how three white pianists rank in popularity?

You probably wanted to ask "So if I'm Caucasian, I'll automatically know how popular three (white) pianists are in the Caucasian community". Don't try to pull a fast one on slerk. wink When asked this question, it doesn't seem so very absurd anymore, does it (assuming that you get to talk to a lot of Caucasians, by virtue of having lived in places with lots of Caucasians for a majority of your life and having talked to piano enthusiasts over the years)?
Next in line:

#1725213 - 08/02/11 01:35 PM Re: Argerich has lost her touch? [Re: liszt85]
slerk Offline

Thank you. It's mostly from post-recital events that parents will gather around and talk about their kids and progress... It's very competitive. I don't know if anybody has seen the PBS documentaries of kid pianists in Shanghai? They practice about five hours minimum a day, with self-imposed isolation for the opes of competition; because let's face it! Concert Pianist is the most competitive profession out there..

And while tennis stars retire young, as do sports stars... I mean, Kempff was still playing at age 75+ and I'm sure some composers died on the keys..

You probably wanted to ask "So if I'm Caucasian, I'll automatically know how popular three (white) pianists are in the Caucasian community". Don't try to pull a fast one on slerk. wink When asked this question, it doesn't seem so very absurd anymore, does it (assuming that you get to talk to a lot of Caucasians, by virtue of having lived in places with lots of Caucasians for a majority of your life and having talked to piano enthusiasts over the years)?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (BarryDMD, bgiles, bennevis, barbaram, 21 invisible), 969 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157135 Topics
2307726 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
29 minutes 18 seconds ago
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
Today at 04:18 AM
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
Yesterday at 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
Yesterday at 07:29 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission