2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
I've made a topic out of fun, comparing Yuja and Argerich in what seems to become a copied pose.

Since starting piano, Argerich quickly became my favorite pianist. She seemed almost godlike in the sense that her speed and precision were amazing, while still retaining musicality. She didn't flourish over the top (think LL) nor was her playing grossly superfluous.

But some believe that Argerich has lost it with age, that she's beat up with life, that newer pianists like Y. Wang and Lisista have surpassed her.

I don't know... Although she's old, she's still playing virtuosically at Verbier, and still alive.

But to argue who the greatest female pianist of the 20th-21st century is.. I have to vote for Argerich hands-down. At her prime, you could argue she was better than Horowitz.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by slerk
But some believe that Argerich has lost it with age, that she's beat up with life, that newer pianists like Y. Wang and Lisista have surpassed her.

Who thinks that? Who is "some"?

No one said anything of the kind on your other thread, if that's where you're getting this reading of the masses from.

I don't think this is a commonly held opinion at all.

-J

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
70 is not really that old. wink

Last edited by carey; 07/31/11 09:25 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by beet31425

No one said anything of the kind on your other thread, if that's where you're getting this reading of the masses from.

-J

It's not necessary to name names. They are just opinions that you can assert or refute here.

People said they've surpassed her technically. Technical ability doesn't make one artist better than another..

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Please do not compare other pianists to Horowitz.................

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

(I'm listening to Mahler 6- scherzo follows 1st movement, as it SHOULD, and not diluted by the premature appearance of the slow movement, IMO.)

Where was I...

Argerich has always been fair game, and when one scales the heights of accomplishment, of course there are going to be people who question her mastery, and that is fair enough.

It doesn't really mean anything to me anymore. I put her on the level of a Horowitz, Rachmaninov and Richter, and that is all that really matters. I have heard the recordings of those guys -WOW factor to the highest degree!- but Argerich is there too.

Jason
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hmm. I still prefer Argerich to Yuja Wang and Lisitsa. But in general, I prefer older (and passed on) pianists to younger pianists, such as Marc-Andre Hamelin, Andre Laplante, Stephen Hough, Alicia de Larrocha, Mitsuko Uchida, Emanuel Ax, Radu Lupu, Sokolov, etc.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm guessing that slerk is referring to the comments I made about Argerich/Yuja's technical skill. Slerk, I am not saying that Argerich has lost her "touch". I'm simply saying that Yuja has surpassed her from a standpoint of technique. Technique, however, does not a complete musician make. Argerich, make no mistake, is a phenomenal pianist by any standard. Her technique in her prime was absolutely second to none. Yuja, however, possesses technique like none I've yet witnessed. I've heard thousands of pianists and for me to say that her technique blows me away, well, it's saying something. She has a great deal yet to learn as a musician, however, and I'm hoping that with age and experience her playing will mature as well.

Additionally, I'd like to say that I, for the life of me, don't understand the fascination with Lisitsa.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Seriously, you can say and think whatever you'd like, but claiming "some say" naturally begs the question, "like who?" At the age of 70, I think she still has time to get even better smile

It's not necessary to name names.
The natural response to "Yeah, I kinda made that up..." wink

-Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Additionally, I'd like to say that I, for the life of me, don't understand the fascination with Lisitsa.
Her accessibility adds to her appeal I think. What I find fascinating is all the bashing she receives. Greatest pianist ever? Nah... Great pianist anyways? Absolutely!

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Some respect, guys!!

And what Jason (her fan) said.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm guessing that slerk is referring to the comments I made about Argerich/Yuja's technical skill. Slerk, I am not saying that Argerich has lost her "touch". I'm simply saying that Yuja has surpassed her from a standpoint of technique. Technique, however, does not a complete musician make. Argerich, make no mistake, is a phenomenal pianist by any standard. Her technique in her prime was absolutely second to none. Yuja, however, possesses technique like none I've yet witnessed. I've heard thousands of pianists and for me to say that her technique blows me away, well, it's saying something. She has a great deal yet to learn as a musician, however, and I'm hoping that with age and experience her playing will take mature as well.

I agree with everything you said. smile I'm intrigued to hear Yuja's playing in 10 or 20 years.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Hmm. I still prefer Argerich to Yuja Wang and Lisitsa.

Lisitsa? Really?

slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm guessing that slerk is referring to the comments I made about Argerich/Yuja's technical skill. Slerk, I am not saying that Argerich has lost her "touch". I'm simply saying that Yuja has surpassed her from a standpoint of technique. Technique, however, does not a complete musician make. Argerich, make no mistake, is a phenomenal pianist by any standard. Her technique in her prime was absolutely second to none. Yuja, however, possesses technique like none I've yet witnessed. I've heard thousands of pianists and for me to say that her technique blows me away, well, it's saying something. She has a great deal yet to learn as a musician, however, and I'm hoping that with age and experience her playing will take mature as well.

I agree with everything you said. smile I'm intrigued to hear Yuja's playing in 10 or 20 years.

Wang is really, really popular among the Asian community, I can tell you that. More so than Li Yundi or Lang Lang (obviously). She has a very charming nature and I do enjoy her playing.

Valentina is also really down to earth. I was reading earlier here that she stayed with a forum member for practicing, and things like that..

But I think to be a great pianist who sells well to the public, you need another touch of personality. Argerich had that; almost as if she played "hard to get" with fans. You could also be popular by being extremely down to earth and friendly.

And why must we not compare to Horowitz? Well, with him, people either love him or hate him.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon

Lisitsa? Really?

Yeah. I don't like Lisitsa too much... I heard that she has a MEAN Liszt concerto 1 though, I should hear it. And I do like how she "lets it rip" in the Rachmaninoff 1st sonata, but there are other things in her playing of it I don't like too much...

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Yuja, however, possesses technique like none I've yet witnessed. I've heard thousands of pianists and for me to say that her technique blows me away, well, it's saying something.

stores, is there a particular YouTube you could recommend? I only say this because I value your input.

As for technique, well this is hard to beat:

Jason
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Lisitsa? Really?

Yeah. I don't like Lisitsa too much... I heard that she has a MEAN Liszt concerto 1 though, I should hear it. And I do like how she "lets it rip" in the Rachmaninoff 1st sonata, but there are other things in her playing of it I don't like too much...

I was just surprised that you would mention her at all. Don't get me wrong, I think she is quite good, but not anywhere near Argerich-good. (and I'd rather listen to Wang than either)

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

Lisitsa? Really?

OSK, what do you think of her Chopin etudes? Can you give me a few examples of the things you don't like?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Personally, I think her Chopin Etudes are fine. But I mean, I would rather listen to larger-scale pieces than Chopin Etudes... Such as the Sonatas, Scherzi, Ballades, Polonaise-Fantasie, etc. etc. etc. And I feel that her playing of larger-scale pieces is rather shallow. It's hard to explain in text, but compare her Rachmaninoff Sonata No. 1 to the great (and sadly underrated) John Ogdon's performance.

But in the end, it may just be personal taste. So if we need to agree to disagree, that's perfectly fine with me. smile

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Personally, I think her Chopin Etudes are fine. But I mean, I would rather listen to larger-scale pieces than Chopin Etudes... Such as the Sonatas, Scherzi, Ballades, Polonaise-Fantasie, etc. etc. etc. And I feel that her playing of larger-scale pieces is rather shallow. It's hard to explain in text, but compare her Rachmaninoff Sonata No. 1 to the great (and sadly underrated) John Ogdon's performance.

But in the end, it may just be personal taste. So if we need to agree to disagree, that's perfectly fine with me. smile

We don't necessarily disagree completely. wink I enjoy her performances of the shorter works. I do go back to watch her etude videos and also go back for some nocturnes and waltzes but never for a concerto or a sonata really. It wasn't a conscious decision that I made and I can certainly see your point.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
But I mean, I would rather listen to larger-scale pieces than Chopin Etudes...

That's the only statement that I disagree with. smile I think Chopin's small-scale works, especially his etudes, are on par with his large-scale works (if not indeed sometimes greater), and I have no preference for the longer pieces. Of course, there is always the issue of overplaying, but that affects small- and large-scale alike.

-J

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Neither Wang nor Lisitsa can carry Argerich's music bag as far as I'm concerned, either technically or especially musically.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Lisitsa and Yuja compared to Martha? Let s hear their Bach partitas and judge!

Gavrilyuk, in my opinion, blows both VL and YW out of the water. And recently i was listening to somepieces by Lang lang and Gavrilyuk, same repertoire. And the winner was Alexander again. More and more, fame means nothing. I think Yuja is becoming the female version of lang lang. Hopefully she ll stay away from that. As for technique, i think Hamelin and Volods are out of this world. Yuja s version of Volodos ' Turkis march i heard recently was pretty sloppy in some sections. Anyway it not that what bothers me of her playing. Anyway , she s still what , in her early 20s?

Pogo, i d compare Richter to Horowitz any day of the week!! In Beethoven and Bach , i don t think Volodya would last two rounds!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by bplary1300
People said they've surpassed her technically. Technical ability doesn't make one artist better than another..

It makes them better in the area of technical ability. Technical ability allows an artist to demonstrate their musicality.

Yang is really, really popular among the Asian community, I can tell you that. More so than Li Yundi or Lang Lang (obviously).
What do you base this statement on or is just idle speculation?

Valentina is also really down to earth. I was reading earlier here that she stayed with a forum member for practicing, and things like that..
How is this relevant to discussing how great a pianist is? Stayed with a forum member....who cares?

But I think to be a great pianist who sells well to the public, you need another touch of personality. Argerich had that; almost as if she played "hard to get" with fans. You could also be popular by being extremely down to earth and friendly.
Lisitsa and Wang are IMO nowhere near that category of being a world class pianist who will be remembered as one of the greats. You place far too much emphasis on personality.

If Argerich lives another 20 years and keeps on playing it's probably true that some pianist will surpass her technical skill(or maybe some already have) at one point. I don't see the slightest relevance in discussing something like this. Does anyone expect her to be able to play as well technically when she's 90 as she did when she was younger?

At such a high level of technical skill, I think it's irrelevant to compare technical prowess. Argerich, Hamelin, Kissin, Katsaris, etc. all have supreme technical ability.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/01/11 06:59 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well said PL.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Every performer, particularly instrumentalists and singers, must eventually cope with the limitations brought on by age. (The only exceptions I can think of are those who died tragically young, like Lipatti and Kapell, and Nathan Milstein whose technique at his last concert at 82 was undiminished.)

Pianists are luckier than singers. Piano technique is basically in the brain, so as long as their fingers retain their strength and ccordination, they can continue well into old age. Vocal chords are not as durable and break down at a younger age. Argerich is 70 - that's not old as pianists go. If she's lost anything technically, and from what I can tell she hasn't, she's gained in musical perception.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Yang is really, really popular among the Asian community, I can tell you that. More so than Li Yundi or Lang Lang (obviously).

Exactly my thought. What basis?

How is this relevant to discussing how great a pianist is? Stayed with a forum member....who cares?

Exactly! We listen to performances NOT because the pianist has done some good deeds!

Lisitsa and Wang are IMO nowhere near that category of being a world class pianist who will be remembered as one of the greats. You place far too much emphasis on personality.

If Argerich lives another 20 years and keeps on playing it's probably true that some pianist will surpass her technical skill(or maybe some already have) at one point. I don't see the slightest relevance in discussing something like this. Does anyone expect her to be able to play as well technically when she's 90 as she did when she was younger?

No one can be in tip-top shape all through life. Aging is part of life. One cannot expect Argerich (or any one else for that matter) to be at her best technical prowess when compared to her younger days. Lisitsa and Wang are newcomers who are trying their best to make their niche in this competitive piano world. Though they possess great technical skills, only time can tell if they will be able sustain their popularity. Personally, I believe they both still have room to grow to be top performers. Though their playing can be dazzling and showy, it is still very much playing that focuses on the "veneer". Nevertheless, the bottom line is that such comparison is pointless.

JN
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Argerich is a fantastic artist and really communicates something deep and profound in the music she plays. I think that as she grows older, her interpretations grow even better. Wang and Lisitisa are musical, but I feel they just don't reach as deep as Argerich and all those other old masters.

Also, is this just me, or does it seem like recently there's a lot of emphasis on looks? Like Wang with her skimpy silk dresses and Lisitsa with her blonde hair blowing all over the place?? IMHO there seems to be a lot of "looks show" going on (who can make the best faces or wear the best designer clothes) and less about the actual music.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chobeethaninov

Also, is this just me, or does it seem like recently there's a lot of emphasis on looks? Like Wang with her skimpy silk dresses and Lisitsa with her blonde hair blowing all over the place?? IMHO there seems to be a lot of "looks show" going on (who can make the best faces or wear the best designer clothes) and less about the actual music.

Seems to be a lot of that these days. Not that it didn't happen before - just look at some of Argerich's early DG covers. She wasn't wearing skimpy clothes, but her smoldering sensuality came through the camera lens.

On a related note, I stumbled on this site, which some may find amusing:

http://awkwardclassicalmusicphotos.com/

Hank Drake

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Hank Drake

Seems to be a lot of that these days. Not that it didn't happen before - just look at some of Argerich's early DG covers. She wasn't wearing skimpy clothes, but her smoldering sensuality came through the camera lens.

Yes but that I feel is different. Argerich never put looks before music and her sensuality was just something that came from inside of her strong personality.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Please do not compare other pianists to Horowitz.................

There are tons of pianists that I'd rather hear than Horowitz.

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hank Drake

Those are nice.

I always thought the worst album covers ever were Norrington's Bruckner covers. He looks like the drunk uncle at a party. Awful:

http://www.musicalcriticism.com/recordings/cd-norrington-bruckner7.jpg
http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00136/bruckner-cd-cover_136785t.jpg
http://media.jazzstore.com/cache/w2...er-norrington-bruckner-symphony-no-6.jpg

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
As I said in "the other Argerich thread" where a video was posted of Wang accompanying Harrell in Brahms: If I had been an audience member and Wang had walked on stage dressed as she is in that video, I'm enough of an old fogey to have got up and walked out in disgust.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Yuja, however, possesses technique like none I've yet witnessed. I've heard thousands of pianists and for me to say that her technique blows me away, well, it's saying something.

stores, is there a particular YouTube you could recommend? I only say this because I value your input.

As for technique, well this is hard to beat:

thanks for posting that. Great technique and posture. None of that overindulgent body movement. I love the way he bounces on the keys. That is how its done.

Last edited by BadOrange; 08/01/11 01:34 PM.
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Some people in this thread seem to mix up objective technical ability with subjective artistic preference.

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Focusing on looks (skimpy clothes, flowing blonde hair) seems to work against these pianists! People judge them based on how they dress and somehow have a model in mind that assigns an inverse relationship between a pianist being conscious about looks and his/her talent. That's what I perceive from several of the comments made here.

Originally Posted by liszt85
Focusing on looks (skimpy clothes, flowing blonde hair) seems to work against these pianists! People judge them based on how they dress and somehow have a model in mind that assigns an inverse relationship between a pianist being conscious about looks and his/her talent. That's what I perceive from several of the comments made here.

It seems to be more of a piano phenomenon than a violin one. People seem to be more accepting of attractive violinists for some reason. (Josefowicz, Hahn, St. John, Akiko-Meyers...)

On a bit of a tangent, I think male pianists err too far in the wrong direction - ignoring dress altogether and wearing the same drab suits all the time. The French seem to be way ahead of the curve: Thibaudet, Tharaud, and Bavouzet always look pretty sharp.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kreisler
The French seem to be way ahead of the curve: Thibaudet, Tharaud, and Bavouzet always look pretty sharp.

Not to mention:

Whew!

Jason
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P

I'm not saying that once I see a skimpy-dressed pianist, I immediately judge them as bad, but I feel people are emphasizing looks too much over the actual music making.

honestly, anyone at that age has earned the right to never be criticized for being old or "losing their touch". When you get old, you get old. Just a little rude considering what she had/has accomplished. It is not easy playing piano at that age. Very few can. Unless you have played with perfect technique all your life, you are bound to have some health issues that will make playing very painful. Not to mention your hearing is most likely down to 6 kHz.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BadOrange
honestly, anyone at that age has earned the right to never be criticized for being old or "losing their touch". When you get old, you get old. Just a little rude considering what she had/has accomplished. It is not easy playing piano at that age. Very few can. Unless you have played with perfect technique all your life, you are bound to have some health issues that will make playing very painful. Not to mention your hearing is most likely down to 6 kHz.

+1

N
N
Agree, Bruce!

N
N
furthermore, the videos w/the gals inappropriately dressed--well
they are getting really obscene comments. If you are really
focused and serious about your art, why take such silly
side-trips...it just generates more offensiveness, poor taste,
entices kooks to post junk...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
...I'm enough of an old fogey to have got up and walked out in disgust...
All part of the charm we love Bruce smile

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
slerk Offline OP
OP Offline

Let's see, I am Asian myself and don't live in a pineapple under the sea.

slerk Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm not saying that once I see a skimpy-dressed pianist, I immediately judge them as bad, but I feel people are emphasizing looks too much over the actual music making.

This used to not be a problem with records and CDs! But a lot of the appeal in piano music is the presentation as well; which is why LL has a strong fanclub and Liszt was so popular.

Somebody mentioned the Bach Partitas? Her Bach is amazing; it truly sings. Her Partitas really show her musicality. She can play Bach as romantically as Chopin Nocturnes or as violently as certain Prokofiev. I applaud her!

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Ridicolosamente

Yes, we do love Bruce. He can be so unintentionally funny sometimes! (Just kidding.)

This is why I love this forum so much, all the colourful members here, pianoloverus, Kreisler, stores, bad orange, MarkC, liszt85, the 'other' Jason, Andromaque... never a dull moment.

Jason
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Ridicolosamente

BruceD-my favorite person.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Who cares if her technique is not what it was 30 years ago? Seriously, comparing YW or VL to MA is plain obscene. I guess Arrau recordings from his 30s are better than the ones from his 60s because his technique wasn t the same? Everybody blames the age of Argerich. There are a lot of examples of pianists with a flawless technique at 70 and older. Argerich probably has other issues. Watching her most recent videos , i can t see any flaws in her technique.

This whole technique thing ... kids go out of the conservatoire and we re supposed to believe they are Arraus or Richters or Marthas. It takes something more than fast fingers to become an artist of such stature. It s not the olympics, you know ... Meanwhile, there a re a ton of artists that remain obscure that are worth in my opinin much more than most of these young virtuosos.

B
B
There are plenty of pianists (and violinists) who keep performing in public well past their sell-by date, when their technique has gone into tatters - I actually attended a concert recently of one such pianist who I'd admired on his CD recordings (made over 20 years ago), and wished I hadn't....

If only he'd followed the example of Ashkenazy, who has long stopped playing piano in public because he couldn't rely on his fingers on the day anymore due to arthritis (though he still makes excellent recordings).

But I can't say that Argerich is in that category - her playing technically is still in the top drawer (based on recent concert broadcasts). She isn't one of my favorite pianists - her sudden impulsive spurts of tone and pace, which are present also in her earliest recordings - are still there, and remain disconcerting to me because they seem random and often misplaced (e.g. in a recent broadcast of Chopin's E minor Concerto). OK in a live concert, but disturbing on repeated hearings.

If music be the food of love, play on!

So if I'm Caucasian, I'll automatically know how three white pianists rank in popularity?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I really can't find anything wrong with Argerich's technique these days. Having a good technique at 70 - which really isn't all that old - is not remarkable in and of itself. Having the kind of stratospheric level of technique (not just mechanics, but real technique) that Argerich still posesses is noteworthy. And her musical insights have improved with age - for example, she's much more convincing in slow movements than she used to be.

Let's also remember that Argerich faced a life threatening illness about a decade ago. We're lucky she's still alive and blessing us with such great music making.

Hank Drake

George Szell
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Can we make a BruceD appreciation thread? laugh

Yes, we do love Bruce. He can be so unintentionally funny sometimes! (Just kidding.)

This is why I love this forum so much, all the colourful members here, pianoloverus, Kreisler, stores, bad orange, MarkC, liszt85, the 'other' Jason, Andromaque... never a dull moment.

frown frown

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

frown frown

OSK is the most colorful of all: ORANGE!

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

frown frown

OSK is the most colorful of all: ORANGE!

yeah, I kinda forgot to include him...

Jason
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

How do you know that all the attention they give to looks takes away attention from music? You feel that way though, and that's all I said. The fact that you think there is an inverse correlation is all I was commenting on. Btw, I wasn't commenting on just your post. This seems like a general view here on PW, one that I don't agree with. There very likely exists one (or more) shabbily dressed horrible pianist for every well dressed horrible pianist. wink

Also, all the "well dressed" and pianists people refer to in such threads are always the younger pianists (LL, YW, VL, etc). Have you ever considered the thought that it might actually be the case that you prefer older pianists to these younger pianists and so are misled into believing that choice of dress has an inverse relationship with musicality?

So I don't think people should even care about what dress or suit pianists choose to wear. Comment on the musicality, that's all fine. However, to say that focusing on looks takes away attention from the music (or "emphasize looks OVER the actual music making") is being unfair. I think they are all the more professional for taking the effort to look good on stage as well, to provide a complete experience to a live audience (visual as well as auditory).

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

So if I'm Caucasian, I'll automatically know how three white pianists rank in popularity?

You probably wanted to ask "So if I'm Caucasian, I'll automatically know how popular three (white) pianists are in the Caucasian community". Don't try to pull a fast one on slerk. wink When asked this question, it doesn't seem so very absurd anymore, does it (assuming that you get to talk to a lot of Caucasians, by virtue of having lived in places with lots of Caucasians for a majority of your life and having talked to piano enthusiasts over the years)?

slerk Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you. It's mostly from post-recital events that parents will gather around and talk about their kids and progress... It's very competitive. I don't know if anybody has seen the PBS documentaries of kid pianists in Shanghai? They practice about five hours minimum a day, with self-imposed isolation for the opes of competition; because let's face it! Concert Pianist is the most competitive profession out there..

And while tennis stars retire young, as do sports stars... I mean, Kempff was still playing at age 75+ and I'm sure some composers died on the keys..

You probably wanted to ask "So if I'm Caucasian, I'll automatically know how popular three (white) pianists are in the Caucasian community". Don't try to pull a fast one on slerk. wink When asked this question, it doesn't seem so very absurd anymore, does it (assuming that you get to talk to a lot of Caucasians, by virtue of having lived in places with lots of Caucasians for a majority of your life and having talked to piano enthusiasts over the years)?

I didn't probably want to ask him that...that's what I asked him.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

I didn't probably want to ask him that...that's what I asked him.

That is not what you asked him. You asked him if you'd automatically know the popularity of white pianists! That isn't the issue here. The issue here is if you would probably know the popularity of pianists in the Caucasian community as opposed to the Asian community because you seemed to object to slerk claiming he was Asian and that he probably had a good idea about what popularity of pianists was like in the Asian community.

Is this so very difficult?

That is not what you asked him. You asked him if you'd automatically know the popularity of white pianists! That isn't the issue here. The issue here is if you would probably know the popularity of pianists in the Caucasian community as opposed to the Asian community because you seemed to object to slerk claiming he was Asian and that he probably had a good idea about what popularity of pianists was like in the Asian community.

It seems difficult for you to understand.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

It seems difficult for you to understand.

Yea, it is difficult for me to understand why its so very difficult for you to see the difference in focus.. I thought logical abilities were much more common in the population than that. I strangely have a suspicion that you realize too that there is a difference but are just too adamant to admit it.

We're flirting with a lock here.

Just agree to disagree and MOVE ON.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
That's 3 (only very slightly aggressive) exchanges between us and we're already flirting with a lock? My, you are one strict mod, Kreisler! I'd agree with you if you just said that this topic has run its course. Yea yea, I know.. it doesn't matter if I agree or not.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Since there was some discussion above regarding attire, I thought the following to be interesting (I hate to say it, but she seems somewhat proud of the review).

Music review: Yuja Wang and Lionel Bringuier at Hollywood Bowl

I'd like to add that she DID receive a little note from me.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

Fleisher had a little something to say about the obsession with "stars" in his PBS interview:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/entertainment/july-dec11/leonfleisher_07-18.html

www.pianoped.com
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

I'll bet she treasures it. laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

about couture or about music??

Originally Posted by Andromaque

I have a feeling stores's advice on both would be well worth heeding.

www.pianoped.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque

Well, Herr moderator may be more privy to things than common mortals, but last I checked the Maison Dior knows no stores.. (only boutiques!) smile

Plus the lady is pleased with the reviews of both accounts. That should tell you (and him) something.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I'll bet she treasures it. laugh

Oh she does. She fired back and I may have lost a friend, but I stand by what I said and the way I feel about things like this.

♪ ≠ $

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Maybe you could share the reason you have that feeling. Then maybe your repeated fawning over him will seem less meretricious.

Maybe you could share the reason you have that feeling. Then maybe your repeated fawning over him will seem less meretricious.

In all of his postings, stores' has proven one thing over and over again - the music is always at the top of his priority list and his respect for the music drives everything he says. (The moderator in me sometimes wishes it didn't make him so tenacious in his arguments, but the musician in me finds himself agreeing with stores 99% of the time.)

www.pianoped.com
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

In all of his postings, stores' has proven one thing over and over again - the music is always at the top of his priority list and his respect for the music drives everything he says. (The moderator in me sometimes wishes it didn't make him so tenacious in his arguments, but the musician in me finds himself agreeing with stores 99% of the time.)

+1

By the way: stores, don't worry if you lost a friend. You have plenty of other fantastic musical friends, one of whom is now among my very favorite pianists now, and whom I dearly hope to study with next summer! wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

It seems to be more of a piano phenomenon than a violin one. People seem to be more accepting of attractive violinists for some reason. (Josefowicz, Hahn, St. John, Akiko-Meyers...)

On a bit of a tangent, I think male pianists err too far in the wrong direction - ignoring dress altogether and wearing the same drab suits all the time. The French seem to be way ahead of the curve: Thibaudet, Tharaud, and Bavouzet always look pretty sharp.

That's because the violin is so small compared to the body. When you perform violin, you're much more "out there" than if you play piano. There's no big hulking contraption to hide behind. As for Yuja's dress...well...I'll say that as long as she's wearing it for the right reasons, there's no basis for us judging it against her. Sometimes when you look good, you feel good. It's not the most practical dress for a pianist though, because when you're sitting down someone might be able to peek up. At least she isn't a cellist? laugh

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P

+1

By the way: stores, don't worry if you lost a friend. You have plenty of other fantastic musical friends, one of whom is now among my very favorite pianists now, and whom I dearly hope to study with next summer! wink

Wait a minute... Did I miss something???? Is Stores friends with Yuja Wang???? Who else is Stores friends with??? Wow!!!!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Apparently so.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Apparently so.

Did they go to school together?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Apparently so.

No idea... He's just talked about her on PW before.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Apparently so.

Stores is a HE? I thought stores was a middle aged woman (sorry Stores; Mark C thought I was a college age man). Guess I was wrong...

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Apparently so.

Stores is a HE? I thought stores was a middle aged woman (sorry Stores; Mark C thought I was a college age man). Guess I was wrong...

OOPS! grin

You know, one person here legitimately thought I was a female!! wink

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Apparently so.

Oh my God!!!!!! I'm on the floor!!! HYSTERICAL!!!!!!! I'm certainly a he and yes, I know Yuja.

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

+1

I'm betting I know who you're talking about, but you'll have to message me and let me know for sure. He's a southern neighbor, yes?

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

I'm betting I know who you're talking about, but you'll have to message me and let me know for sure. He's a southern neighbor, yes?

Yup! smile

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Nah, I've always seen OSK as male and very attractive to young ladies. He will be the most loving dad.

But... if I may be so bold... I've never encountered in person -or in cyberspace- any female who likes Alkan, at least the solo piano works. If I am not mistaken, none of the comments re Alkan on a recent thread were from females here.

And what female has recorded Alkan?

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Nah, I've always seen OSK as male and very attractive to young ladies. He will be the most loving dad.

But... if I may be so bold... I've never encountered in person -or in cyberspace- any female who likes Alkan, at least the solo piano works. If I am not mistaken, none of the comments re Alkan on a recent thread were from females here.

I remember ChopinAddict saying that she liked Alkan. Boo to gender stereotypes. :P

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
I remember ChopinAddict saying that she liked Alkan. Boo to gender stereotypes. :P
So did chobeethaninov, if I recall correctly.

Du holde Kunst...
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
So did chobeethaninov, if I recall correctly.

The exception proving the point?

Not trying to raise Cain, mind you... laugh

Jason
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Stephanie McCallum. (Different spelling than my last name, by the way.) Etudes Op. 35 and Op. 39, some Chants, and maybe other works.

I know girls that like Alkan, but it's more just like they've heard of him, they've heard some of his pieces, and they think it's kind of cool.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I'm a girl who likes Alkan. I really, really like Aime-Moi.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

smile

Do you think both of us could convince dolce sfogato to post it here on Piano World? wink It would be nice to have someone in addition to Hamelin (who does it beautifully and masterfully, of course). Mr. sfogato knows the Trois Morceaux, as well as a slew of other Alkan pieces (as well as a slew of other pieces in general. His repertoire is so large). I Skyped with him today, and like every other time, I begged him to post recordings of his playing (heck, ANYTHING, not just Alkan). Since he's been giving SO many concerts this summer, hopefully SOMETHING turns up! smile

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
OSK!! If DS doesn't want to post his rendition o the Trois Morceaux, lets learn them together! I'll learn Aime-moi :P

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
OSK!! If DS doesn't want to post his rendition o the Trois Morceaux, lets learn them together! I'll learn Aime-moi :P

What, I do the right hand and you do the left? smile

I actually learned a better fingering for chromatic scales today, maybe I could do Le Vent... NAH I'll do Morte! Seems a bit easier than Le Vent, or at least less technically concentrated. Plus I get to play a bit of Aime-Moi at the end. :P

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Le Vent seems like a backwards Chasse-neige to me, chromatic scales then tremolos. Thankfully no octave jumps.

Morte is so cool!!! Though it takes Beethoven-esque technical figures to the extreme..

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Le Vent seems like a backwards Chasse-neige to me, chromatic scales then tremolos. Thankfully no octave jumps.

Morte is so cool!!! Though it takes Beethoven-esque technical figures to the extreme..

Have you seen this?

Beautifully done, no? smile

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I'll check it out after listening through Vingt Regards again :P . Definitely tomorrow!! A non-Hamelin recording of the Trois Morceaux would be awesome!

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

By the way: stores, don't worry if you lost a friend. You have plenty of other fantastic musical friends...

Thought you might like to know, Orange, that we worked things out. I think we both will have a good laugh when she's here in October.

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Thank you.

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

By the way: stores, don't worry if you lost a friend. You have plenty of other fantastic musical friends...

Thought you might like to know, Orange, that we worked things out. I think we both will have a good laugh when she's here in October.

That's great. I wish one of my former good friends would be willing to work things out with me, but alas, she cannot deal with her immature problems... Ahh, I shouldn't be using PW as my personal outlet! Sorry.

Wait, the C Major theme in the final movement of Brahms' 1st symphony just came on. I'm in a good mood again. laugh

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

thumb

Jason
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

thumb

thumb +1

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
For the most part I think Argerich, like most of the great players, has gotten better with age.

One of the downfalls of living for a long time is that sooner or later we hear one amazing technical feat after another, and it starts to sound boring.

Yuja Wang does have an incredible technique, but the one thing I listened to tonight be her that I truly enjoyed was this:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1724194/4.html

It's a version of the Vocalise I have not heard before (so nothing to compare it to), but it seems to me that she is totally in it, and if this is where she is heading in the future, musically, I'll be paying very careful attention. And I think she is going to increasingly show a huge connection to the great Russian composers.

What I will never understand, what continually makes me shake my head in sadness, is the necessity to declare just one human being "king" or "queen" of the piano, as if we are watching for who is going to emerge as number one in golf or tennis. frown

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
One thing thatreally struck me as unacceptable from MA i just watched on medici tv.

She kind of jokes about cancelling a gig in empoli , de cades ago. She didn t want to play there and faked a cut in his finger (she actually put a blade to it and cut it) to avoid the performance. And then she says that the following week she had a nother gig in Italy and wantedto play that. I don t thnk that s very sensible considering how many people she lets down with her too frequent cancellations

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission