2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
I've made a topic out of fun, comparing Yuja and Argerich in what seems to become a copied pose.

Since starting piano, Argerich quickly became my favorite pianist. She seemed almost godlike in the sense that her speed and precision were amazing, while still retaining musicality. She didn't flourish over the top (think LL) nor was her playing grossly superfluous.

But some believe that Argerich has lost it with age, that she's beat up with life, that newer pianists like Y. Wang and Lisista have surpassed her.

I don't know... Although she's old, she's still playing virtuosically at Verbier, and still alive.

But to argue who the greatest female pianist of the 20th-21st century is.. I have to vote for Argerich hands-down. At her prime, you could argue she was better than Horowitz.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by slerk
But some believe that Argerich has lost it with age, that she's beat up with life, that newer pianists like Y. Wang and Lisista have surpassed her.

Who thinks that? Who is "some"?

No one said anything of the kind on your other thread, if that's where you're getting this reading of the masses from.

I don't think this is a commonly held opinion at all.

-J

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
70 is not really that old. wink

Last edited by carey; 07/31/11 09:25 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by beet31425

No one said anything of the kind on your other thread, if that's where you're getting this reading of the masses from.

-J

It's not necessary to name names. They are just opinions that you can assert or refute here.

People said they've surpassed her technically. Technical ability doesn't make one artist better than another..

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Please do not compare other pianists to Horowitz.................

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

(I'm listening to Mahler 6- scherzo follows 1st movement, as it SHOULD, and not diluted by the premature appearance of the slow movement, IMO.)

Where was I...

Argerich has always been fair game, and when one scales the heights of accomplishment, of course there are going to be people who question her mastery, and that is fair enough.

It doesn't really mean anything to me anymore. I put her on the level of a Horowitz, Rachmaninov and Richter, and that is all that really matters. I have heard the recordings of those guys -WOW factor to the highest degree!- but Argerich is there too.

Jason
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hmm. I still prefer Argerich to Yuja Wang and Lisitsa. But in general, I prefer older (and passed on) pianists to younger pianists, such as Marc-Andre Hamelin, Andre Laplante, Stephen Hough, Alicia de Larrocha, Mitsuko Uchida, Emanuel Ax, Radu Lupu, Sokolov, etc.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm guessing that slerk is referring to the comments I made about Argerich/Yuja's technical skill. Slerk, I am not saying that Argerich has lost her "touch". I'm simply saying that Yuja has surpassed her from a standpoint of technique. Technique, however, does not a complete musician make. Argerich, make no mistake, is a phenomenal pianist by any standard. Her technique in her prime was absolutely second to none. Yuja, however, possesses technique like none I've yet witnessed. I've heard thousands of pianists and for me to say that her technique blows me away, well, it's saying something. She has a great deal yet to learn as a musician, however, and I'm hoping that with age and experience her playing will mature as well.

Additionally, I'd like to say that I, for the life of me, don't understand the fascination with Lisitsa.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Seriously, you can say and think whatever you'd like, but claiming "some say" naturally begs the question, "like who?" At the age of 70, I think she still has time to get even better smile

It's not necessary to name names.
The natural response to "Yeah, I kinda made that up..." wink

-Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Additionally, I'd like to say that I, for the life of me, don't understand the fascination with Lisitsa.
Her accessibility adds to her appeal I think. What I find fascinating is all the bashing she receives. Greatest pianist ever? Nah... Great pianist anyways? Absolutely!

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Some respect, guys!!

And what Jason (her fan) said.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm guessing that slerk is referring to the comments I made about Argerich/Yuja's technical skill. Slerk, I am not saying that Argerich has lost her "touch". I'm simply saying that Yuja has surpassed her from a standpoint of technique. Technique, however, does not a complete musician make. Argerich, make no mistake, is a phenomenal pianist by any standard. Her technique in her prime was absolutely second to none. Yuja, however, possesses technique like none I've yet witnessed. I've heard thousands of pianists and for me to say that her technique blows me away, well, it's saying something. She has a great deal yet to learn as a musician, however, and I'm hoping that with age and experience her playing will take mature as well.

I agree with everything you said. smile I'm intrigued to hear Yuja's playing in 10 or 20 years.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Hmm. I still prefer Argerich to Yuja Wang and Lisitsa.

Lisitsa? Really?

slerk Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm guessing that slerk is referring to the comments I made about Argerich/Yuja's technical skill. Slerk, I am not saying that Argerich has lost her "touch". I'm simply saying that Yuja has surpassed her from a standpoint of technique. Technique, however, does not a complete musician make. Argerich, make no mistake, is a phenomenal pianist by any standard. Her technique in her prime was absolutely second to none. Yuja, however, possesses technique like none I've yet witnessed. I've heard thousands of pianists and for me to say that her technique blows me away, well, it's saying something. She has a great deal yet to learn as a musician, however, and I'm hoping that with age and experience her playing will take mature as well.

I agree with everything you said. smile I'm intrigued to hear Yuja's playing in 10 or 20 years.

Wang is really, really popular among the Asian community, I can tell you that. More so than Li Yundi or Lang Lang (obviously). She has a very charming nature and I do enjoy her playing.

Valentina is also really down to earth. I was reading earlier here that she stayed with a forum member for practicing, and things like that..

But I think to be a great pianist who sells well to the public, you need another touch of personality. Argerich had that; almost as if she played "hard to get" with fans. You could also be popular by being extremely down to earth and friendly.

And why must we not compare to Horowitz? Well, with him, people either love him or hate him.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon

Lisitsa? Really?

Yeah. I don't like Lisitsa too much... I heard that she has a MEAN Liszt concerto 1 though, I should hear it. And I do like how she "lets it rip" in the Rachmaninoff 1st sonata, but there are other things in her playing of it I don't like too much...

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Yuja, however, possesses technique like none I've yet witnessed. I've heard thousands of pianists and for me to say that her technique blows me away, well, it's saying something.

stores, is there a particular YouTube you could recommend? I only say this because I value your input.

As for technique, well this is hard to beat:

Jason
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Lisitsa? Really?

Yeah. I don't like Lisitsa too much... I heard that she has a MEAN Liszt concerto 1 though, I should hear it. And I do like how she "lets it rip" in the Rachmaninoff 1st sonata, but there are other things in her playing of it I don't like too much...

I was just surprised that you would mention her at all. Don't get me wrong, I think she is quite good, but not anywhere near Argerich-good. (and I'd rather listen to Wang than either)

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

Lisitsa? Really?

OSK, what do you think of her Chopin etudes? Can you give me a few examples of the things you don't like?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Personally, I think her Chopin Etudes are fine. But I mean, I would rather listen to larger-scale pieces than Chopin Etudes... Such as the Sonatas, Scherzi, Ballades, Polonaise-Fantasie, etc. etc. etc. And I feel that her playing of larger-scale pieces is rather shallow. It's hard to explain in text, but compare her Rachmaninoff Sonata No. 1 to the great (and sadly underrated) John Ogdon's performance.

But in the end, it may just be personal taste. So if we need to agree to disagree, that's perfectly fine with me. smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission