2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Personally, I think her Chopin Etudes are fine. But I mean, I would rather listen to larger-scale pieces than Chopin Etudes... Such as the Sonatas, Scherzi, Ballades, Polonaise-Fantasie, etc. etc. etc. And I feel that her playing of larger-scale pieces is rather shallow. It's hard to explain in text, but compare her Rachmaninoff Sonata No. 1 to the great (and sadly underrated) John Ogdon's performance.

But in the end, it may just be personal taste. So if we need to agree to disagree, that's perfectly fine with me. smile

We don't necessarily disagree completely. wink I enjoy her performances of the shorter works. I do go back to watch her etude videos and also go back for some nocturnes and waltzes but never for a concerto or a sonata really. It wasn't a conscious decision that I made and I can certainly see your point.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
But I mean, I would rather listen to larger-scale pieces than Chopin Etudes...

That's the only statement that I disagree with. smile I think Chopin's small-scale works, especially his etudes, are on par with his large-scale works (if not indeed sometimes greater), and I have no preference for the longer pieces. Of course, there is always the issue of overplaying, but that affects small- and large-scale alike.

-J

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Neither Wang nor Lisitsa can carry Argerich's music bag as far as I'm concerned, either technically or especially musically.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Lisitsa and Yuja compared to Martha? Let s hear their Bach partitas and judge!

Gavrilyuk, in my opinion, blows both VL and YW out of the water. And recently i was listening to somepieces by Lang lang and Gavrilyuk, same repertoire. And the winner was Alexander again. More and more, fame means nothing. I think Yuja is becoming the female version of lang lang. Hopefully she ll stay away from that. As for technique, i think Hamelin and Volods are out of this world. Yuja s version of Volodos ' Turkis march i heard recently was pretty sloppy in some sections. Anyway it not that what bothers me of her playing. Anyway , she s still what , in her early 20s?

Pogo, i d compare Richter to Horowitz any day of the week!! In Beethoven and Bach , i don t think Volodya would last two rounds!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by bplary1300
People said they've surpassed her technically. Technical ability doesn't make one artist better than another..

It makes them better in the area of technical ability. Technical ability allows an artist to demonstrate their musicality.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by slerk
Yang is really, really popular among the Asian community, I can tell you that. More so than Li Yundi or Lang Lang (obviously).
What do you base this statement on or is just idle speculation?

Valentina is also really down to earth. I was reading earlier here that she stayed with a forum member for practicing, and things like that..
How is this relevant to discussing how great a pianist is? Stayed with a forum member....who cares?

But I think to be a great pianist who sells well to the public, you need another touch of personality. Argerich had that; almost as if she played "hard to get" with fans. You could also be popular by being extremely down to earth and friendly.
Lisitsa and Wang are IMO nowhere near that category of being a world class pianist who will be remembered as one of the greats. You place far too much emphasis on personality.

If Argerich lives another 20 years and keeps on playing it's probably true that some pianist will surpass her technical skill(or maybe some already have) at one point. I don't see the slightest relevance in discussing something like this. Does anyone expect her to be able to play as well technically when she's 90 as she did when she was younger?

At such a high level of technical skill, I think it's irrelevant to compare technical prowess. Argerich, Hamelin, Kissin, Katsaris, etc. all have supreme technical ability.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/01/11 06:59 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well said PL.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Every performer, particularly instrumentalists and singers, must eventually cope with the limitations brought on by age. (The only exceptions I can think of are those who died tragically young, like Lipatti and Kapell, and Nathan Milstein whose technique at his last concert at 82 was undiminished.)

Pianists are luckier than singers. Piano technique is basically in the brain, so as long as their fingers retain their strength and ccordination, they can continue well into old age. Vocal chords are not as durable and break down at a younger age. Argerich is 70 - that's not old as pianists go. If she's lost anything technically, and from what I can tell she hasn't, she's gained in musical perception.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Yang is really, really popular among the Asian community, I can tell you that. More so than Li Yundi or Lang Lang (obviously).
What do you base this statement on or is just idle speculation?

Exactly my thought. What basis?

Valentina is also really down to earth. I was reading earlier here that she stayed with a forum member for practicing, and things like that..
How is this relevant to discussing how great a pianist is? Stayed with a forum member....who cares?

Exactly! We listen to performances NOT because the pianist has done some good deeds!

But I think to be a great pianist who sells well to the public, you need another touch of personality. Argerich had that; almost as if she played "hard to get" with fans. You could also be popular by being extremely down to earth and friendly.
Lisitsa and Wang are IMO nowhere near that category of being a world class pianist who will be remembered as one of the greats. You place far too much emphasis on personality.

If Argerich lives another 20 years and keeps on playing it's probably true that some pianist will surpass her technical skill(or maybe some already have) at one point. I don't see the slightest relevance in discussing something like this. Does anyone expect her to be able to play as well technically when she's 90 as she did when she was younger?

No one can be in tip-top shape all through life. Aging is part of life. One cannot expect Argerich (or any one else for that matter) to be at her best technical prowess when compared to her younger days. Lisitsa and Wang are newcomers who are trying their best to make their niche in this competitive piano world. Though they possess great technical skills, only time can tell if they will be able sustain their popularity. Personally, I believe they both still have room to grow to be top performers. Though their playing can be dazzling and showy, it is still very much playing that focuses on the "veneer". Nevertheless, the bottom line is that such comparison is pointless.

JN
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Argerich is a fantastic artist and really communicates something deep and profound in the music she plays. I think that as she grows older, her interpretations grow even better. Wang and Lisitisa are musical, but I feel they just don't reach as deep as Argerich and all those other old masters.

Also, is this just me, or does it seem like recently there's a lot of emphasis on looks? Like Wang with her skimpy silk dresses and Lisitsa with her blonde hair blowing all over the place?? IMHO there seems to be a lot of "looks show" going on (who can make the best faces or wear the best designer clothes) and less about the actual music.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chobeethaninov

Also, is this just me, or does it seem like recently there's a lot of emphasis on looks? Like Wang with her skimpy silk dresses and Lisitsa with her blonde hair blowing all over the place?? IMHO there seems to be a lot of "looks show" going on (who can make the best faces or wear the best designer clothes) and less about the actual music.

Seems to be a lot of that these days. Not that it didn't happen before - just look at some of Argerich's early DG covers. She wasn't wearing skimpy clothes, but her smoldering sensuality came through the camera lens.

On a related note, I stumbled on this site, which some may find amusing:

http://awkwardclassicalmusicphotos.com/

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Hank Drake
Originally Posted by chobeethaninov

Seems to be a lot of that these days. Not that it didn't happen before - just look at some of Argerich's early DG covers. She wasn't wearing skimpy clothes, but her smoldering sensuality came through the camera lens.

Yes but that I feel is different. Argerich never put looks before music and her sensuality was just something that came from inside of her strong personality.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Please do not compare other pianists to Horowitz.................

There are tons of pianists that I'd rather hear than Horowitz.

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hank Drake

Those are nice.

I always thought the worst album covers ever were Norrington's Bruckner covers. He looks like the drunk uncle at a party. Awful:

http://www.musicalcriticism.com/recordings/cd-norrington-bruckner7.jpg
http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00136/bruckner-cd-cover_136785t.jpg
http://media.jazzstore.com/cache/w2...er-norrington-bruckner-symphony-no-6.jpg

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
As I said in "the other Argerich thread" where a video was posted of Wang accompanying Harrell in Brahms: If I had been an audience member and Wang had walked on stage dressed as she is in that video, I'm enough of an old fogey to have got up and walked out in disgust.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by stores
Yuja, however, possesses technique like none I've yet witnessed. I've heard thousands of pianists and for me to say that her technique blows me away, well, it's saying something.

stores, is there a particular YouTube you could recommend? I only say this because I value your input.

As for technique, well this is hard to beat:

thanks for posting that. Great technique and posture. None of that overindulgent body movement. I love the way he bounces on the keys. That is how its done.

Last edited by BadOrange; 08/01/11 01:34 PM.
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Some people in this thread seem to mix up objective technical ability with subjective artistic preference.

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Focusing on looks (skimpy clothes, flowing blonde hair) seems to work against these pianists! People judge them based on how they dress and somehow have a model in mind that assigns an inverse relationship between a pianist being conscious about looks and his/her talent. That's what I perceive from several of the comments made here.

Originally Posted by liszt85
Focusing on looks (skimpy clothes, flowing blonde hair) seems to work against these pianists! People judge them based on how they dress and somehow have a model in mind that assigns an inverse relationship between a pianist being conscious about looks and his/her talent. That's what I perceive from several of the comments made here.

It seems to be more of a piano phenomenon than a violin one. People seem to be more accepting of attractive violinists for some reason. (Josefowicz, Hahn, St. John, Akiko-Meyers...)

On a bit of a tangent, I think male pianists err too far in the wrong direction - ignoring dress altogether and wearing the same drab suits all the time. The French seem to be way ahead of the curve: Thibaudet, Tharaud, and Bavouzet always look pretty sharp.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kreisler
The French seem to be way ahead of the curve: Thibaudet, Tharaud, and Bavouzet always look pretty sharp.

Not to mention:

Whew!

Jason
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission