2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by liszt85
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by slerk
Yang is really, really popular among the Asian community, I can tell you that. More so than Li Yundi or Lang Lang (obviously).
What do you base this statement on or is just idle speculation?

Let's see, I am Asian myself and don't live in a pineapple under the sea.
So if I'm Caucasian, I'll automatically know how three white pianists rank in popularity?

You probably wanted to ask "So if I'm Caucasian, I'll automatically know how popular three (white) pianists are in the Caucasian community". Don't try to pull a fast one on slerk. wink When asked this question, it doesn't seem so very absurd anymore, does it (assuming that you get to talk to a lot of Caucasians, by virtue of having lived in places with lots of Caucasians for a majority of your life and having talked to piano enthusiasts over the years)?

I didn't probably want to ask him that...that's what I asked him.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Yang is really, really popular among the Asian community, I can tell you that. More so than Li Yundi or Lang Lang (obviously).
What do you base this statement on or is just idle speculation?

Let's see, I am Asian myself and don't live in a pineapple under the sea.
So if I'm Caucasian, I'll automatically know how three white pianists rank in popularity?

You probably wanted to ask "So if I'm Caucasian, I'll automatically know how popular three (white) pianists are in the Caucasian community". Don't try to pull a fast one on slerk. wink When asked this question, it doesn't seem so very absurd anymore, does it (assuming that you get to talk to a lot of Caucasians, by virtue of having lived in places with lots of Caucasians for a majority of your life and having talked to piano enthusiasts over the years)?

I didn't probably want to ask him that...that's what I asked him.

That is not what you asked him. You asked him if you'd automatically know the popularity of white pianists! That isn't the issue here. The issue here is if you would probably know the popularity of pianists in the Caucasian community as opposed to the Asian community because you seemed to object to slerk claiming he was Asian and that he probably had a good idea about what popularity of pianists was like in the Asian community.

Is this so very difficult?

Online Content
That is not what you asked him. You asked him if you'd automatically know the popularity of white pianists! That isn't the issue here. The issue here is if you would probably know the popularity of pianists in the Caucasian community as opposed to the Asian community because you seemed to object to slerk claiming he was Asian and that he probably had a good idea about what popularity of pianists was like in the Asian community.

It seems difficult for you to understand.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

It seems difficult for you to understand.

Yea, it is difficult for me to understand why its so very difficult for you to see the difference in focus.. I thought logical abilities were much more common in the population than that. I strangely have a suspicion that you realize too that there is a difference but are just too adamant to admit it.

We're flirting with a lock here.

Just agree to disagree and MOVE ON.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
That's 3 (only very slightly aggressive) exchanges between us and we're already flirting with a lock? My, you are one strict mod, Kreisler! I'd agree with you if you just said that this topic has run its course. Yea yea, I know.. it doesn't matter if I agree or not.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Since there was some discussion above regarding attire, I thought the following to be interesting (I hate to say it, but she seems somewhat proud of the review).

Music review: Yuja Wang and Lionel Bringuier at Hollywood Bowl

I'd like to add that she DID receive a little note from me.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Fleisher had a little something to say about the obsession with "stars" in his PBS interview:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/entertainment/july-dec11/leonfleisher_07-18.html

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by stores

I'll bet she treasures it. laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

about couture or about music??

Originally Posted by Andromaque

I have a feeling stores's advice on both would be well worth heeding.

www.pianoped.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Originally Posted by Andromaque

Well, Herr moderator may be more privy to things than common mortals, but last I checked the Maison Dior knows no stores.. (only boutiques!) smile

Plus the lady is pleased with the reviews of both accounts. That should tell you (and him) something.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon

I'll bet she treasures it. laugh

Oh she does. She fired back and I may have lost a friend, but I stand by what I said and the way I feel about things like this.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Maybe you could share the reason you have that feeling. Then maybe your repeated fawning over him will seem less meretricious.

Maybe you could share the reason you have that feeling. Then maybe your repeated fawning over him will seem less meretricious.

In all of his postings, stores' has proven one thing over and over again - the music is always at the top of his priority list and his respect for the music drives everything he says. (The moderator in me sometimes wishes it didn't make him so tenacious in his arguments, but the musician in me finds himself agreeing with stores 99% of the time.)

www.pianoped.com
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

In all of his postings, stores' has proven one thing over and over again - the music is always at the top of his priority list and his respect for the music drives everything he says. (The moderator in me sometimes wishes it didn't make him so tenacious in his arguments, but the musician in me finds himself agreeing with stores 99% of the time.)

+1

By the way: stores, don't worry if you lost a friend. You have plenty of other fantastic musical friends, one of whom is now among my very favorite pianists now, and whom I dearly hope to study with next summer! wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Focusing on looks (skimpy clothes, flowing blonde hair) seems to work against these pianists! People judge them based on how they dress and somehow have a model in mind that assigns an inverse relationship between a pianist being conscious about looks and his/her talent. That's what I perceive from several of the comments made here.

It seems to be more of a piano phenomenon than a violin one. People seem to be more accepting of attractive violinists for some reason. (Josefowicz, Hahn, St. John, Akiko-Meyers...)

On a bit of a tangent, I think male pianists err too far in the wrong direction - ignoring dress altogether and wearing the same drab suits all the time. The French seem to be way ahead of the curve: Thibaudet, Tharaud, and Bavouzet always look pretty sharp.

That's because the violin is so small compared to the body. When you perform violin, you're much more "out there" than if you play piano. There's no big hulking contraption to hide behind. As for Yuja's dress...well...I'll say that as long as she's wearing it for the right reasons, there's no basis for us judging it against her. Sometimes when you look good, you feel good. It's not the most practical dress for a pianist though, because when you're sitting down someone might be able to peek up. At least she isn't a cellist? laugh

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

+1

By the way: stores, don't worry if you lost a friend. You have plenty of other fantastic musical friends, one of whom is now among my very favorite pianists now, and whom I dearly hope to study with next summer! wink

Wait a minute... Did I miss something???? Is Stores friends with Yuja Wang???? Who else is Stores friends with??? Wow!!!!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Apparently so.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Apparently so.

Did they go to school together?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission