2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 370 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 369 370

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wayne32yrs
Oh forgot to say "Evening everyone :)"

Hi Wayne! It's 2:15 PM here, and we are having a heat wave!

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wayne32yrs
Rostosky, I saw this and thought you'd like it;

Very Lovely Wayne. I really enjoyed it. Thanks.

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lucky you Griffin, still raining here @ 8.30pm

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 07/17/11 03:42 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
WOW wayne in fact ◄█▒░ WOW WAYNE ░▒▓█►

that was excellent, I listened to the dulcimer piece a few times and have saved it!

It reminded me of something, the Piano is (by definition) a percussive instrument, Hammers hit strings.

When I was younger we got hold of an old beat up piano and managed to tune an octave or so, we then put Brass drawing pins in the hammer felts so the drawing pins hit the strings..
The strings are steel and the drawing pins (or thumb tacks as they are called in the USA) were brass, so as brass is softer than steel, they didnt do any harm.

This makes a piano sound dulcimer like...dont try this except on an old knacker of a piano, but it is quite a different sound, and interesting.

This has made me think two things... I wonder were the location of that dulcimer playing was?

But more important, it would be great to go busking with a dulcimer as well as the guitar for variation, and added interest value, they look very portable, and now I want one!!!

Brilliant, I will go search dulcimers and find out how much a good one costs!! and report back!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
smile

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 07/17/11 04:41 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Boo hoo, no dulcimer for me just yet, they start at a couple of hundred of our queens head and go to about £1,800.

But there is a section on Dizzis site for secondhand dulcimers.

Now, I wonder, just like harpsichords that you can get in a kit, if there are dulcimer kits... off to search..

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

C

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

C
Wayne and Rostosky, brilliant. Dulcimer reports will be much appreciated.
And, griffin, could you send some heatwave this way. It is raining here, and the weather forecast has promised rain for more than a week. Sometimes in Norway we have mild winters instead of summer.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cubop
Wayne and Rostosky, brilliant. Dulcimer reports will be much appreciated.
And, griffin, could you send some heatwave this way. It is raining here, and the weather forecast has promised rain for more than a week. Sometimes in Norway we have mild winters instead of summer.

Hi Cubop. I wish I could send you some of this weather. However, I've learned that it is a good idea to be careful of what you wish for! It's 32.5c and the humidity is 78%! I'm trying not to complain because we have some very cold winters in Minnesota. I am not in a hurry for a Minnesota winter!

Later today, I'll come up with some sizzling music to share. Maybe that will help. grin

Carl

C

C
Hi Griffin, so far we have had max 28, and very dry. And dont remind me of cold winters. And DARK!
Anyways, playing piano is an all weather occupation, and Pianoworld too.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by griffin2417

Later today, I'll come up with some sizzling music to share. Maybe that will help. grin

Promises, promises smile

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
WOW wayne in fact ◄█▒░ WOW WAYNE ░▒▓█►

that was excellent, I listened to the dulcimer piece a few times and have saved it!

It reminded me of something, the Piano is (by definition) a percussive instrument, Hammers hit strings.

When I was younger we got hold of an old beat up piano and managed to tune an octave or so, we then put Brass drawing pins in the hammer felts so the drawing pins hit the strings..
The strings are steel and the drawing pins (or thumb tacks as they are called in the USA) were brass, so as brass is softer than steel, they didnt do any harm.

This makes a piano sound dulcimer like...dont try this except on an old knacker of a piano, but it is quite a different sound, and interesting.

This has made me think two things... I wonder were the location of that dulcimer playing was?

But more important, it would be great to go busking with a dulcimer as well as the guitar for variation, and added interest value, they look very portable, and now I want one!!!

Brilliant, I will go search dulcimers and find out how much a good one costs!! and report back!

All of this talk about dulcimers and pianos has gotten me motivated to go down Memory Lane to about 1959 when I was in Junior High School and purchased my first jazz album (with my own hard earned money).

Here is jazz pianist, Ahmad Jamal performing "Poinciana."

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Well, cubop, at least your in Norway and not the arctic where my grandfather spent most of his life as skipper on a steam trawler fishing!!
As a point of interest, and Norway connection, I have in my possesion, thousands of documents relating to Steam Trawlers from the 1930,s and 1940,s all original from my grandfather.

Before the shipping forcast on the radio was invented, Norway used to put out a sort of limited one in Morse code, I have the codes for that!!
My grand mother used to knit Jumpers in wool Soaked in OIL, this was to keep the guys warm and dry up there, this was hideous stuff, the oiled fibres were an irritant to the eyes,and for the person knitting , very uncomfortable.

I have pictures of steam trawlers off bear Island near Iceland completely white with ice, these were hard men indeed.

Anyways, for the folk back in the UK, "ITS raining again" By Supertramp, set to the pictures of mr. kelly from singing in the rain fame...

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
When what we really want in the uK is this:

Mr. Blue sky , ELO.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Well, cubop, at least your in Norway and not the arctic where my grandfather spent most of his life as skipper on a steam trawler fishing!!
As a point of interest, and Norway connection, I have in my possesion, thousands of documents relating to Steam Trawlers from the 1930,s and 1940,s all original from my grandfather.

Before the shipping forcast on the radio was invented, Norway used to put out a sort of limited one in Morse code, I have the codes for that!!
My grand mother used to knit Jumpers in wool Soaked in OIL, this was to keep the guys warm and dry up there, this was hideous stuff, the oiled fibres were an irritant to the eyes,and for the person knitting , very uncomfortable.

I have pictures of steam trawlers off bear Island near Iceland completely white with ice, these were hard men indeed.

Anyways, for the folk back in the UK, "ITS raining again" By Supertramp, set to the pictures of mr. kelly from singing in the rain fame...

BLAST!!! I get a messagte that we are being blocked from viewing it in the U.S. Don't worry, I'll pursue it independently.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

It's starting to rain here! Did you folks in the UK and Norway send that our way? I am sure my partner will appreciate that for his garden. But please! Let's not go overboard. We already have had plenty of rain. Just keep it for yourselves. laugh

Carl

C

C
This thread is moving a bit too fast for me, and I have been making a nuisance of myself over at the piano forum. But Rostosky and Griffin and everybody else. Never complain about the weather again, just be happy you are not on a fishing trawler in a full winter storm at Bear Island. Never mind the rain as long as it is not raining horizontally.
Time for bed, and a good night (or day) to you all.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
NIght Cubop sleep well, later.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
last offering today is from Pentangle, let no man steal your time.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for Pentangle, Rossy. We had their album on our shelves in the early 70s. Nice memory!

It's been quiet around here for a while. I'm not completely ready to wind down yet, however. Let's rock it to the powerhouse combination of blues artists B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, and Jim Vaughn. Here is their performance of "Rock Me Baby."

Last edited by griffin2417; 07/18/11 01:51 AM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

This will be my final post for the evening. I had the pleasure of hearing Buddy Guy when I visited an old newspaper colleague in Chicago in the mid 1970s. He took us to a club where Buddy was performing. I truly enjoyed that performance. Here is Buddy Guy singing "It looks like rain." (Oops! I just thought of our water logged friends across the pond!) grin

Good night!

Carl

Page 17 of 370 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission