2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
TylerNB Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I want to know which is the best method to inputting into Finale. And most people go about this two ways. They either input it with a MIDI keyboard, or they manually input it at the computer. So, which is the easiest and most recommended way.

Currently Working On:
Chopin Waltz in B Minor (Finished)
Rondo Alla Turca - Mozart (Finished)
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?
Certainly more Chopin(Valses and Mazurkas, maybe even a Prelude)
And yet another Bach piece
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I don't use Finale much. But in Sibelius, by FAR the most effecient way is one hand on the MIDI keyboard to enter pitch, the other on the computer keyboard for note value selection. Plus keeping alert for opportunities to copy/paste. Music is full of pattern and repetition.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm very used to the speedy entry of Finale, but I agree that the method described by our friend above seems to be the most reasonable, if you have a midi keyboard.

T
TylerNB Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Yea, that is how I saw one guy in a youtube video doing it. He was writing a song for some treble instrument and he was doing the values in the left hand and the melody on keyboard with the right. That would make sense though. When I first started MIDI input yesterday, I thought the bass notes would fall in the bass clef, but the kinda do a deal where they go as ledger lines, which are a pain in the butt to read, so I only assumed I would have to click whichever clef I was working in.

Currently Working On:
Chopin Waltz in B Minor (Finished)
Rondo Alla Turca - Mozart (Finished)
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?
Certainly more Chopin(Valses and Mazurkas, maybe even a Prelude)
And yet another Bach piece
S
S
I use the (computer) keyboard and mouse. That's what I did in Encore (before it went comatose for some years.) I got Finale and found it quite easy to use for simple things. (For more complex stuff, I had to read the online manual.)

I never go the hang of using a MIDI input. I cannot play strictly enough in tempo and just using MIDI for note selection didn't seem worth the effort.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by sudoplatov
I use the (computer) keyboard and mouse. That's what I did in Encore (before it went comatose for some years.) I got Finale and found it quite easy to use for simple things. (For more complex stuff, I had to read the online manual.)

I never go the hang of using a MIDI input. I cannot play strictly enough in tempo and just using MIDI for note selection didn't seem worth the effort.

I agree, real-time entry from MIDI keyboard isn't terribly useful (though it seems to be the feature a lot of people WANT to use). But I really do suggest anyone with even rudimentary piano-playing skills perseveres with the two-handed entry technique.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Depends on whether you want to actually create a score or a recording. For the latter I think that a midi keyboard is simply brilliant! Otherwise I rarely use it for notation issues.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, if you want to create a score with MIDI input you will probably need to edit it (sometimes even a lot if there are ritardandos etc.) because human beings are not machines,

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission