Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
84 registered (Amosdoll, AnastasiaT, Anticlock, AndyP, 20 invisible), 1070 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1724910 - 08/02/11 12:13 AM Re: Audition Repertoire [Re: PaulaPiano34]
mazeppa777 Offline

Sort of, yes. I recently switched teachers, and have increased my playing time, etc.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#1725030 - 08/02/11 07:52 AM Re: Audition Repertoire [Re: mazeppa777]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Quote:
Slerk: I cannot say for the world, but for the U.S. the two best would be Curtis and Julliard

For your sake, I hope that in all email contacts you have with people at Juilliard that you check your spelling. Slerk too. grin
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1725126 - 08/02/11 11:41 AM Re: Audition Repertoire [Re: mazeppa777]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mazeppa777
Yea the acceptance rate changes every year, suffice to say that it is obviously low.
I'm 16. What makes me special is impossible to answer for yourself, although if i had to say i would say dedication. What do you think of Chopin's 2nd scherzo for the fast piece?

Slerk: I cannot say for the world, but for the U.S. the two best would be Curtis and Julliard

I wouldn't play a Chopin scherzo for the same reason I wouldn't play a ballade. There's fast and slow sections in it. Plus Chopin's 2nd Scherzo is the easiest one and is so overplayed. Unless you have something new to say with it, it is not a good choice IMO.

I'm curious if the Andante Spianato et Grande Polonaise Brilliante op22 would work or the last two movements of Chopin's B Minor sonata.

For your slow piece, I most certainly wouldn't play op10no3. That piece is played so much that my teacher won't even let me compete with it. If you want a slow etude, go with op25no7 because it shows of LH dexterity and technique. For a fast etude, play something like op25no10, op25no11, etc...

Curtis likes a display of phenomenal technical prowess. Also, if they ask you to play a scale, play it fast but musically. They really like musical scales and one of my teacher's students was turned out of a lesson at Curtis because he couldn't play musical scales.

#1725140 - 08/02/11 11:53 AM Re: Audition Repertoire [Re: mazeppa777]
boo1234 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am all for setting high goals, but maybe you need to set the bar a little lower.

#1725187 - 08/02/11 01:01 PM Re: Audition Repertoire [Re: mazeppa777]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
This thread is really starting to bother me.

Even if this young person had listed the technically advanced repertoire many here propose as necessary for Curtis it seems likely he would fall into the 96% of auditions not selected.

There is more at stake here than mere selection to Curtis. Which of you have honestly ever regretted a valid attempt that landed short? For myself, it's only when I stopped trying to reach a goal due to self doubt that stands out as a true failure in life. Suggesting that walking away from anything not 100% certain to end with success sets a terrible precedent and is a good way to guide someone into doing nothing with an entire life.

IMHO, circumstance, experience and age all eventually set the bar lower without our assistance. Circumstance and age are generally outside our domain of control. Experience, which we can control, teaches each of us our individual limitations and aptitudes. Experience is vital to growth and can only be gained by jumping into the fray.

Mazeppa777: If Curtis is your dream then I say go for it. At the end of the day it will be your performance and the opinion of Curtis making the selection decision, not anyone here. If you are selected, fantastic. If not, you may try again - right? Regardless of outcome, when you are older and reviewing life choices a "low possibility of being selected but still trying" will trump a "too afraid to attempt" any day. smile

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever. Accept this as truth or risk a quick exit with tail between legs.

#1725206 - 08/02/11 01:27 PM Re: Audition Repertoire [Re: mazeppa777]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I agree with Taratex that he should still try (you really never know until you try), but I want to make sure he knows what he's really going into so there's no disappointment and to make sure he has other options. It would help if we could be able to hear his playing.

I know some might question my credibility as I am young myself, but my current piano teacher has had a few students accepted to Curtis and my father's friend knows someone who has taught piano at both Curtis and Juilliard. I am preparing for my conservatory auditions in a few years as well. Stakes are really high.

I would guess, though, from the OP's repertoire that he would probably be able to get into something like Mannes College or the NEC. But it's always important to remember that it's about the teacher-not the name of the school. A very fine pianist and winner of the Snowy Range competition, Fan Ya Lin, was accepted to both Oberlin and Juilliard but decided to go to Weber State University because the professor there was what Lin felt she needed.

#1725207 - 08/02/11 01:28 PM Re: Audition Repertoire [Re: slerk]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: slerk
What are the greatest musical insitutions/conservatories in the world?

I always just think of Julliard and the Fliszt Academy

The Hochschule in Hanover would make the list.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1725240 - 08/02/11 02:14 PM Re: Audition Repertoire [Re: Kreisler]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
Originally Posted By: slerk
What are the greatest musical insitutions/conservatories in the world?

I always just think of Julliard and the Fliszt Academy

The Hochschule in Hanover would make the list.

And don't forget the International Piano Academy at Lake Como or the Paris Conservatoire

#1725341 - 08/02/11 04:58 PM Re: Audition Repertoire [Re: mazeppa777]
mazeppa777 Offline

Ok first of all I enjoy how this thread has become a sort of debate smile. It has always been a dream of mine to attend Curtis and if I don't get in, its not going to be a huge loss for me as I live right outside of Philadelphia. I know that the odds are highly against getting admitted there, so I'm going to audition at other places(NEC, etc.) So I probably will try out(even multiple times) and I do understand how hard it is to get into these schools. Like Gretzky said: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

Anyways, I think for the fast piece I have settled of op.10 no.4, albeit it is a bit short, but still very virtuosic. And possibly I will play the berceuse for the slow piece

Edited by mazeppa777 (08/02/11 05:01 PM)

#1725383 - 08/02/11 05:51 PM Re: Audition Repertoire [Re: mazeppa777]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mazeppa777
Ok first of all I enjoy how this thread has become a sort of debate smile. It has always been a dream of mine to attend Curtis and if I don't get in, its not going to be a huge loss for me as I live right outside of Philadelphia. I know that the odds are highly against getting admitted there, so I'm going to audition at other places(NEC, etc.) So I probably will try out(even multiple times) and I do understand how hard it is to get into these schools. Like Gretzky said: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

Anyways, I think for the fast piece I have settled of op.10 no.4, albeit it is a bit short, but still very virtuosic. And possibly I will play the berceuse for the slow piece

Good luck!
I hope I didn't come across as grumpy and argumentative. I'm just trying to be helpful. Let us know about how it goes, k?

#1725407 - 08/02/11 06:11 PM Re: Audition Repertoire [Re: PaulaPiano34]
mazeppa777 Offline

lol no you were a help. Thanks to everyone who commented

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much are Modern Piano Recordings Digitally Edited?
by Scriabin67
05/24/15 01:02 AM
Digital vs acoustic, $400 budget
by AnastasiaT
05/24/15 12:04 AM
7-year-old on metronome practice
by hreichgott
05/23/15 11:54 PM
Irmbach upright piano
by AnastasiaT
05/23/15 11:36 PM
Reverie Debussy; Measure 19 Chord span is too wide for me
by bananasushi
05/23/15 08:57 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,391 Registered Members
44 Forums
164,293 Topics
2,409,698 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission