Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
96 registered (Anne'sson, accordeur, anamnesis, Almaviva, 29 invisible), 1330 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1727851 - 08/06/11 04:28 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
THis may help Wayne, it shows Asio4all is absolutley fine with reason, but does need to be configured. If you have not got the control panel in asio4all thenyou have not installed it correctly or have not finished the installation process, here is a video of asio4all with reason.... I hope this helps, its a little fast, but you can stop and rewind step by step...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/346526/multichannel_reason_tutorial_asio4all/#

Edited by Rostosky (08/06/11 04:35 PM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1728092 - 08/07/11 06:36 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
I got asio4all from

http://www.asio4all.com/

I've tried everything, (looked through all the menus in reason, and settings in control panel-sounds) and still no asio control panel, no sound from reason, I've uninstalled asio4all and reason, restarted my laptop, then reinstalled reason, still no sound!

I don't fancy reinstalling win7 on my lappy, but I might have to resort to this, I can't beleive I was quite happy with reason, it may have had just a bit of a delay, but I could have probabily lived with it!

I only got to mess with it for about 20mins, then I've c*cked it up!

#1728093 - 08/07/11 06:38 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I was hoping PianoMan1990 might have shed some light on the situation by this morning, but I think he might have done a runner!

#1728098 - 08/07/11 07:05 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thats very strange indeed Wayne, I don't quite understand what is happening, because I am not there to look and check things...
I still believe its a simple click in a menu check box somewhere. Reason is a totally stable program.

Pm pianoman?

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1728131 - 08/07/11 09:34 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well after going around the houses, (system restore, reinstalling reason, AGAIN! and still no sound)
Intalled Reason on my other halfs laptop and it worked staright away - now that really did start bugging me. And then the battery run out and when I plugged the charger in and started the laptop back up, Oh no...it said "no audio" but this time an error message came up sayin "your audio device has stopped working, check the audio set up in the preferences page"

A few clicks and I found it!!!!!! Edit, preferences, change the general tab to audio, and there it was "NO AUDIO" click the drop down menu and select my sound card, hey presto!

Now how come you didn't tell me that Rossy lol!

Oh well, a lesson learned and all, I'm now gonna do a bit a rearranging in my music room so I can use my lappy in there. (Before I used a standard desktop PC in there, but my lappy is much faster.)

#1728157 - 08/07/11 10:49 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rostosky

I still believe its a simple click in a menu check box somewhere. Reason is a totally stable program.

ER, wayne, I think you will find I did, a few different ways.

I think you panicked, first a little bit, then some more, and finally you went into full on panic.

Remember please Wayne, SAVE, SAVE, and SAve again, this is the bestest advice you will get for Reason (or many art programmes)

You can always go back to a previous save like in a game.
AND, name your project files, I mean it, not just "waynes stuff 1" and "Waynes stuff 2 " or song "a" song "B" etc....

You will end up with so many, that you wont remember which is which, believe me on this one, a little time spent naming each project file properly will save hours of looking through them at a later date.....
Glad you sorted it, have you got asio4all working?

#1728158 - 08/07/11 10:51 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Hi Wayne. Just thought I'd check in to see how things are going with your new install. Looks like you are on your way! You've got me curious about Reason. I'll be looking at the tech stuff next year and you'll probably one of the resident experts I'll ask for advice! Have a good Sunday!

#1728171 - 08/07/11 11:32 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Glad you sorted it, have you got asio4all working?

I've still have no ASIO4ALL control panel, but I'm not too worried at this stage, I've got alot of stuff to figure out for now. I do however think that ASIO4ALL has done something, as the delay has almost disappeared.

What do you think?

Edited by wayne32yrs (08/07/11 02:29 PM)

#1728174 - 08/07/11 11:34 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: griffin2417]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: griffin2417

Hi Wayne. Just thought I'd check in to see how things are going with your new install. Looks like you are on your way! You've got me curious about Reason. I'll be looking at the tech stuff next year and you'll probably one of the resident experts I'll ask for advice! Have a good Sunday!

I'd be happy to help smile

#1728249 - 08/07/11 01:34 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoMan1990 Offline

Loc: Chuluota, Florida
Hey i didnt run im still here was just working for a few days, I use ASIO4ALL with Sonar 7 producer and had to configure it. I will install Reason for you and make a video on how to properly configure it for you so that you can hav e no latency at all when playing. Give me a few minutes to get everything set up.

Update. I am installing Reason 4 now, When I get it installed I will make a screen cast of me setting it up properly for you so that you get the best sound quality and latency for your system. GIve me some time and I will try and help you out more to get things set properly. Sorry again for being gone so long from this thread like I said I was working and just didnt have time to hop on and check things out.

Edited by PianoMan1990 (08/07/11 01:47 PM)

#1728260 - 08/07/11 01:55 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

cheers Pianoman, I'm using Reason 5, should that make a difference?

I'm sort of getting the hang of it, I've managed to make my first mp3, just using 3 tracks, choir and 2 piano's, I just sampled radioheads creep. I know it's not very good, but it's a start smile

http://www.wj.talktalk.net/cc.mp3

Look forward to your post smile

Edited by wayne32yrs (08/07/11 01:56 PM)

#1728264 - 08/07/11 01:59 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoMan1990 Offline

Sounds pretty good. Im actually installing the demo instead of the full reason disk I have. That way it will be your version. I will be posting a video response here shortly. Keep your eyes peeled smile

#1728280 - 08/07/11 02:24 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Told you it was a configure issue Wayne! !!
Mrs Rossy is making you a T shirt with "Dont panic" written on it.
Your set up is looking good Wayne, and I will be very interested to check mine is set up as best it can be for latency issues, when pianoman gets back, I am still using reason three, because I am on the tower and not a laptop.

Glad its starting to get super sorted!!

#1728285 - 08/07/11 02:34 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ok Rossy, you were right, Rostosky was right everyone, he told me what the problem was, a simple click in a checkbox, one touch of my mouse pad!

Obviously a black T-shirt, with black text, send my thanks to Mrs Rossy smile

#1728297 - 08/07/11 02:59 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

cant wait for pianomans post , if Asio4all will make latency dissapear, then that would be magic, and make reason a lot more happy happy. Your first attempt sounded well wayne!
There are "things" to learn like "chains" this is to do with if you have a bass drum and a bass sound like a guitar sounding at the same time, it stops one muffleing the other..

And I love the Automation that can be done on the synths, automation can be done at any time, and is a usefull function for sound textures, The more you get into reason, the more massive it gets!

And there are plug ins and topups!!!
when you are totally comfortable with it Wayne (say a couple of years if you are like me!) it is great to use all of reasons devices in ableton, as well as abletones devices.

The wonder of ableton live 8 is its live ability.

#1728299 - 08/07/11 03:03 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wayne, I have just heard from AImeeO (gossip but true) That somebody called "billyO" has allegedly been emailing my special friend milla jovovich....

This is bad style, aimeeO says he has been knocked back, well good, but why copy me?

I started that, ages ago , I claim copyright.

#1728302 - 08/07/11 03:10 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm not all that clued up about these copyright laws, maybe you need some advice, you could have a word with Nicole94707 ?

I'm just cooking sunday dinner, so will keep popping back now and then, to see if Pianoman has posted his video tutorial.

#1728306 - 08/07/11 03:19 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoMan1990 Offline

I am rendering it now. Honestly there isnt much more that needs to be done. Basically you need to set your buffer size to the lowest possible number you can without getting a crackle in your sound card and no latency. I will uplaod the video still that just shows you really quick what I am exactly talking about but if you wanna take a crack at the buffer before I get it up then you are more than welcome. Just open up the preferences and go to the audio tab then lower the buffer size to a really low number and see how your sound handles it. If it cracks then raise it little by little until you hit the magic number for your system that will allow you to play with no latency and no crackling. My magic number is 512 but it may be different for you based on your system specs. Because now it is all about your system specs and not so much the piano or software. If you have a semi decent sound card lowering the buffer size if its set high right now will eliminate all latency issues. But like I said I will upload here right now so you can see exactly what I am talking about and maybe help some other people too having issues getting the driver set up.

Edited by PianoMan1990 (08/07/11 03:24 PM)

#1728310 - 08/07/11 03:33 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoMan1990 Offline

I must go help my grandma move her tv ill be back in like an hour. Hopefully this helps if you have any questions ill answer them when i get back

#1728312 - 08/07/11 03:39 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Brilliant.......thank you!!!!! I'm gonna go test it out, whilst trying not to burn dinner..........thanks again smile I'll be back later also.

#1728322 - 08/07/11 03:55 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Brilliant + 1 excellent and thanks so much pianoman, your a true star!!

#1728335 - 08/07/11 04:20 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Installed asio4all (and selected it in the audio preferences this time lol) turned buffer to 520, I think it's a bit better?

#1728342 - 08/07/11 04:34 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

is that as low as the buffer will go Wayne with no crackling?

#1728347 - 08/07/11 04:38 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Pretty much yeah, I'm running win7 on a dual core lappy 2 x 1.6ghz and 2GB RAM

#1728362 - 08/07/11 05:12 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoMan1990 Offline

Question is do you notice a better response to your playing? As far as latency goes what are your numbers in Reason 5 for latency like I showed you mine? I had 1ms input 16ms output. Whats yours at with it set to 520 samples? Glad the video helped you guys out. I have spent many years playing with software and digital pianos so I know quite a bit about them and how to set it all up. If you need anymore help just let me know and Ill make another video or explain it as best as I can. Hopefully the latency is low enough now that you should have no issues playing piano and hearing the sound. Cheers everyone.

#1728370 - 08/07/11 05:24 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@520, input 17ms, output 16ms. Yes this is much better!

Thnx again, you've been so helpful smile I know where to come if I need any advice, as Rossy said, ur a star!

Edited by wayne32yrs (08/07/11 05:25 PM)

#1728372 - 08/07/11 05:25 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes Pianoman, I need more help on a different issue,
Is it possible to assign individual keys on my keyboard (say some of the lower ones far left) to trigger events in reason on and off, I know it is in abelton live 8..

But If I was playing live in Reason, can I assign keys to enable and disable sounds that I have allready put together?

#1728379 - 08/07/11 05:41 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoMan1990 Offline

Ok I will look into that for you. I have never tried it personally but I dont see why not. I will get back to you with another video on how to do it as soon as I figure it out myself smile Shouldnt take too long but I do have to go out tonight at 6pm so in half an hour to have dinner with some friends so it may be later tonight that I get the video up for you. Just hang in there with me and I will get some results for you. I am currently uploading a crash course through Sonar 7 and ASIO4ALL for this forum as well for others who may need help. So once thats done if I have time before I leave i will start looking into setting specific keys to trigger other sounds in the lower register. Thanks for being so patient with me and my hectic schedule guys and glad that you were able to get the latency low enough to play without any issues. I run my own computer repair business as you can see in my signature that main website I have so playing with computer settings is what I do best and getting software to do what we want it to do hahaha. So with all that said, let me go on the hunt for your answer and get something prepared for you smile

#1728387 - 08/07/11 06:02 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Excellent Pianoman, enjoy your dinner, you sure deserve it,
"Pianoman, de-mystifies the mysterious!"
thanks again.

#1728388 - 08/07/11 06:04 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

+1 smile (I need to learn some more emoticons)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Tuned a 1960's Kranich and Bach Studio upright
by Paul678
Today at 09:18 PM
How to learn everything and anything about piano?
by MrMusicianship
Today at 07:22 PM
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
Today at 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
Today at 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
Today at 04:34 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160070 Topics
2350692 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission