Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
143 registered (36251, accordeur, antony, anotherscott, 37 invisible), 1760 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1725881 - 08/03/11 01:20 PM recording from my keyboard to laptop
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
I know this isn't the right place to ask this, (I have posted the same on the digital piano forum, but the posting rate on there looks slow compared to ABF - which I dont normally venture out from)

I've aquired a USB to Midi Keyboard PC Convertcable cable (it installed on my laptop as VIEWCOM (I'm running Win7))

I have a Casio CTK 591

Can anyone advice me as to what software I need to record from the keyboard, I haven't got a clue! Is there any simple software for stupid people? Free? (lol am I taking the p*ss)

I hope someone can help,

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1725895 - 08/03/11 01:30 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi Wayne,

I'm confident that mahlzeit's website has all the info you need:

http://www.pianoclues.com/

Good luck!

#1725896 - 08/03/11 01:31 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

will take a look now Monica, thank you smile

#1725914 - 08/03/11 01:56 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Audacity, is free, very easy to use, and does a few things.
Or to be really fancy,
Bit torrent Ableton and or reason, then you can really go to town as you have a virtual studio on laptop.
Ableton has a much better sequencer than reason.

you can use all the devices in ableton from reason if you use the rewire function.

Laptop needs a duel core processor to run ableton ...

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1725917 - 08/03/11 01:58 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Actually Wayne, I have these progs on disc, real cost in the shops about £400 for reason and the same for ableton.

can burn you a naughty copy if your laptop is up to spec...

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1725928 - 08/03/11 02:20 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

+1 for Audacity

#1725933 - 08/03/11 02:37 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you Rossy, you really are a pal smile

I installed audacity, but I looked at it and was intimidated lol (all those buttons ha ha), I could only see recording options for using jack plugs in the audio in, rather than the usb to midi cable that I got. (or have I got that completely wrong)

Are the ones you recommend able to record via one of these cables?

I then tried the simpler "Red dot forever" (I'm not very impressed - it's a good job that I know the recording I did, DID NOT sound anything like what "Red dot forever" played back)

Edited by wayne32yrs (08/03/11 02:50 PM)
Edit Reason: typos

#1725934 - 08/03/11 02:38 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

oh and Rossy, I'm lucky enough to have a dual core lappy with win 7 smile

#1725937 - 08/03/11 02:40 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
I hope we're not talking about software piracy on the forum.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1725944 - 08/03/11 02:45 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No packa, I will be sending Rostosky £400, we are in the middle of PM(ing) each other now!

#1725959 - 08/03/11 02:59 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wayne, you can go direct into audacity from a phono jack output on your DP to the phono/mic input onyour laptop.

But as you got a Midi to USB, then this will be absolutely sound for Reason.
(I set up this way) Once in Reason, you have access to many synths, both anologue and otherwise, a thousand and one million effects, in fact if you can dream of a sound, Reason can usually provide it...check youtube for demos etc...

It is massive, like really massive.

You can multi track, there are drum machines, loop machines, and a vocoder, etc etc etc...

Pm me .......

#1726074 - 08/03/11 05:34 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Artur Gajewski Offline

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
The problem is that Reason is way too complex if Audacity is too complex.

Author of Piano Lessons Package & Child's Piano Play
Facebook page

#1726082 - 08/03/11 05:44 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: Artur Gajewski]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Artur Gajewski
The problem is that Reason is way too complex if Audacity is too complex.

I'm just so impatient, and wanted to record something off the keyboard to my laptop, using the lead mentioned in th OT, RIGHT NOW!

I'm sure I'll figure "Reason" out smile

#1726300 - 08/04/11 01:33 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoMan1990 Offline

Loc: Chuluota, Florida
Hi there. Congrats on your converter to connect to your laptop! Let the world of VST's and Virtual Studios open up for you1 I currently have a dual core Windows 7 laptop as well that I use to play my piano's through. One is a pure MIDI controller and the other is a Digital Piano that is full weight 88 key keyboard that also can act as a MIDI controller. The programs that I use to record any of my songs is Sonar 7 Producer aka cakewalk. The learning curve can be steep at times but once you learn how to properly route VST's to your MIDI controller and play it back on your laptop to record its quite amazing. I recommend downloading ASIO4ALL. Its a free driver that installs and ASIO audio driver to your current system allowing lower latency. I use it all the time and It has performed wonderfully for me. No latency between pressing a key and hearing the virtual sound is key. I use a MIDI to USB adapter on my system to record the main Piano that I have and the other one is just USB connected only. Once you set up Sonar or another DAW(Digital Audio Workstation) like Ableton Live recording is generally a cinch. Most DAW's require you to "arm" the track for recording and then physically hitting the record button. After you have learned how to record from a specific DAW you can then export song into a plethora of formats such as wav, mp3, etc. If you do go the route of Sonar I advise for Mp3's to not buy there encoder but to download a free one required by Audacity called Lame MP3. Once you save the file to your computer you can point the DAW to the .dll file for the mp3 encoder and viola you didnt have to buy one from the company. Now, moving on to recording from audio cables instead of MIDI inputs and outputs. What I used to do to record my Digital Piano into my Laptop before I had a decent DAW was to take a 3.5mm audio jack to a 3.5mm audio jack and connect one to my headphone port on my digital piano and one to the microphone port to my laptop. Now some Digital Piano's come with auxiliary outputs for audio and are generally labeled left and right. You will sometimes see one hole labeled as both as well if you dont have the right cables. Now the only issue I have ran across by doing this method is that you need to turn down the mic on the computer itself in the audio options menu to almost 0 so that when you do record say through Audacity you don't have something so distorted and loud that it's unrecognizable. I also found that on my Digital Piano that by turning down the physical volume of the entire piano also helped to find the right fit for recording into Audacity. Once you do record into Audacity you can easily use the LAME MP3 encoder to export as mp3. Remember you will have to download that separately from the main program as well and point towards it. A simple google search should tell you exactly how to do that. I hope some of this information helped you out and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. Also on a side note if you are wanting something simple to set up and play then I suggest taking a look at Mixcraft 5. It's the closest thing I have found to Garageband for Mac on windows. It isnt free but they have a demo version you can try and it comes pre loaded with tons of col sounds and effects and is very easy to get set up.

#1727779 - 08/06/11 02:33 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: PianoMan1990]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I finally got Reason 5 and installed it on my laptop, plugged in my keyboard via the usb to midi, selected Grand Piano and I was off. I plugged my laptops audio out into my mixer which goes to an amp, and it sounds like I've got a grand piano, the neighbours probabily wonder how I've managed to fit it in my music room, lol.

I did notice the sound is a little delayed, but I managed to play regardless.

Originally Posted By: PianoMan1990
I recommend downloading ASIO4ALL. Its a free driver that installs and ASIO audio driver to your current system allowing lower latency. I use it all the time and It has performed wonderfully for me. No latency between pressing a key and hearing the virtual sound is key.

would this work for Reason also?

#1727790 - 08/06/11 02:52 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes, the ultimate answer Wayne is called an "audio interface"
(just read expense) Ableton live 8 has no latency, AND you can use all of reasons devices in it by using the rewire function.
Ask and thou shalt recieve.

Ps nearly did a post entitled "The reason for Wayne being awol" (get it the "reason"?)

#1727792 - 08/06/11 02:54 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

PS, if you want, you can open up many grand pianos in reason, and play them all at once!

#1727796 - 08/06/11 03:04 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Think I better take this one step at a time. So firstly I'm gonna try downloading ASIO4ALL and see what difference it makes.

I'll get hold of Ableton live 8, and keep it to one side smile

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Ps nearly did a post entitled "The reason for Wayne being awol" (get it the "reason"?)

AWOL lmao, have I been away that long, do I need a doctors note?

#1727804 - 08/06/11 03:17 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If you opened up an instance of a device for a grand piano, just open up another device underneath it Wayne, and so on..
You can open up as many devices as you wish,no harm done, you can just close them again if you dont like!

My guess is you will have used NNXT advanced sampler? well try opening another underneath, and having strings, and another with say brass, and then say opening up delay under that etc.... its BIG isnt it?? enough for a lifetimes hobby and learning?

#1727813 - 08/06/11 03:36 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Oh no........I downloaded ASIO4ALL and installed it and now there's no sound from Reason at all. I've uninstalled ASIO4ALL and still no sound. The sounds working on my laptop, just not in Reason.

Would I have to install ASIO4ALL and then re-install reason?

frown

#1727816 - 08/06/11 03:43 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Something is not configured correctly there Wayne, you should not have to uninstall reason!! my guess its the "Midi in " box in reason isnt checked?

#1727818 - 08/06/11 03:46 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1727820 - 08/06/11 03:47 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Look at the top left hand corner "Hardware interface - no sound" (My first WTF)

#1727826 - 08/06/11 03:57 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Drivers for High Definition Audio devices have a habit of listing SPDIF outputs before the analog ones. As a consequence, the first two or more ASIO channels will be routed to SPDIF, if you use the default configuration. You can change this by either disabling the SPDIF output in the ASIO4ALL control panel or correctly assigning ASIO channels in your audio application.

#1727832 - 08/06/11 04:02 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I haven't got the ASIO control panel, if I go to all programs, ASIO, there's just readme and uninstall, and no icon in the system tray. I'm gonna uninstall reason and reinstall, failing that, I will uninstall ASIO and Reason, and then Reinstall Reason, as I had it b4, Im seriously p*ssed lol.

#1727833 - 08/06/11 04:03 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wayne I think its definately an asio configuration prob.
It appears you have to configure it.. Check on propellerheads site, they are really helpfull guys over there..and know much more than I do!!

#1727834 - 08/06/11 04:04 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wayne theres no need to uninstall reason... really.

#1727838 - 08/06/11 04:06 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wayne hang on hang on... If I remember correctly, I always had to switch my keyboard ON BEFORE opening reason! otherwise I had to go and check the boxs manually..

#1727840 - 08/06/11 04:11 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wayne hang on hang on... If I remember correctly, I always had to switch my keyboard ON BEFORE opening reason! otherwise I had to go and check the boxs manually..

I've tried that, anyways, I got visitors now, so gonna have a look a little later, see you later, n thnx for helpin' smile

#1727845 - 08/06/11 04:13 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

later.. thinks, as with anything please read instructions !! Wayne, you cant have installed the ASIO correctly if you have only got read me docs?

#1727851 - 08/06/11 04:28 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

THis may help Wayne, it shows Asio4all is absolutley fine with reason, but does need to be configured. If you have not got the control panel in asio4all thenyou have not installed it correctly or have not finished the installation process, here is a video of asio4all with reason.... I hope this helps, its a little fast, but you can stop and rewind step by step...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/346526/multichannel_reason_tutorial_asio4all/#

Edited by Rostosky (08/06/11 04:35 PM)

#1728092 - 08/07/11 06:36 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I got asio4all from

http://www.asio4all.com/

I've tried everything, (looked through all the menus in reason, and settings in control panel-sounds) and still no asio control panel, no sound from reason, I've uninstalled asio4all and reason, restarted my laptop, then reinstalled reason, still no sound!

I don't fancy reinstalling win7 on my lappy, but I might have to resort to this, I can't beleive I was quite happy with reason, it may have had just a bit of a delay, but I could have probabily lived with it!

I only got to mess with it for about 20mins, then I've c*cked it up!

#1728093 - 08/07/11 06:38 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I was hoping PianoMan1990 might have shed some light on the situation by this morning, but I think he might have done a runner!

#1728098 - 08/07/11 07:05 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thats very strange indeed Wayne, I don't quite understand what is happening, because I am not there to look and check things...
I still believe its a simple click in a menu check box somewhere. Reason is a totally stable program.

Pm pianoman?

#1728131 - 08/07/11 09:34 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well after going around the houses, (system restore, reinstalling reason, AGAIN! and still no sound)
Intalled Reason on my other halfs laptop and it worked staright away - now that really did start bugging me. And then the battery run out and when I plugged the charger in and started the laptop back up, Oh no...it said "no audio" but this time an error message came up sayin "your audio device has stopped working, check the audio set up in the preferences page"

A few clicks and I found it!!!!!! Edit, preferences, change the general tab to audio, and there it was "NO AUDIO" click the drop down menu and select my sound card, hey presto!

Now how come you didn't tell me that Rossy lol!

Oh well, a lesson learned and all, I'm now gonna do a bit a rearranging in my music room so I can use my lappy in there. (Before I used a standard desktop PC in there, but my lappy is much faster.)

#1728157 - 08/07/11 10:49 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I still believe its a simple click in a menu check box somewhere. Reason is a totally stable program.

ER, wayne, I think you will find I did, a few different ways.

I think you panicked, first a little bit, then some more, and finally you went into full on panic.

Remember please Wayne, SAVE, SAVE, and SAve again, this is the bestest advice you will get for Reason (or many art programmes)

You can always go back to a previous save like in a game.
AND, name your project files, I mean it, not just "waynes stuff 1" and "Waynes stuff 2 " or song "a" song "B" etc....

You will end up with so many, that you wont remember which is which, believe me on this one, a little time spent naming each project file properly will save hours of looking through them at a later date.....
Glad you sorted it, have you got asio4all working?

#1728158 - 08/07/11 10:51 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Hi Wayne. Just thought I'd check in to see how things are going with your new install. Looks like you are on your way! You've got me curious about Reason. I'll be looking at the tech stuff next year and you'll probably one of the resident experts I'll ask for advice! Have a good Sunday!

#1728171 - 08/07/11 11:32 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Glad you sorted it, have you got asio4all working?

I've still have no ASIO4ALL control panel, but I'm not too worried at this stage, I've got alot of stuff to figure out for now. I do however think that ASIO4ALL has done something, as the delay has almost disappeared.

What do you think?

Edited by wayne32yrs (08/07/11 02:29 PM)

#1728174 - 08/07/11 11:34 AM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: griffin2417]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: griffin2417

Hi Wayne. Just thought I'd check in to see how things are going with your new install. Looks like you are on your way! You've got me curious about Reason. I'll be looking at the tech stuff next year and you'll probably one of the resident experts I'll ask for advice! Have a good Sunday!

I'd be happy to help smile

#1728249 - 08/07/11 01:34 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoMan1990 Offline

Hey i didnt run im still here was just working for a few days, I use ASIO4ALL with Sonar 7 producer and had to configure it. I will install Reason for you and make a video on how to properly configure it for you so that you can hav e no latency at all when playing. Give me a few minutes to get everything set up.

Update. I am installing Reason 4 now, When I get it installed I will make a screen cast of me setting it up properly for you so that you get the best sound quality and latency for your system. GIve me some time and I will try and help you out more to get things set properly. Sorry again for being gone so long from this thread like I said I was working and just didnt have time to hop on and check things out.

Edited by PianoMan1990 (08/07/11 01:47 PM)

#1728260 - 08/07/11 01:55 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

cheers Pianoman, I'm using Reason 5, should that make a difference?

I'm sort of getting the hang of it, I've managed to make my first mp3, just using 3 tracks, choir and 2 piano's, I just sampled radioheads creep. I know it's not very good, but it's a start smile

http://www.wj.talktalk.net/cc.mp3

Look forward to your post smile

Edited by wayne32yrs (08/07/11 01:56 PM)

#1728264 - 08/07/11 01:59 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoMan1990 Offline

Sounds pretty good. Im actually installing the demo instead of the full reason disk I have. That way it will be your version. I will be posting a video response here shortly. Keep your eyes peeled smile

#1728280 - 08/07/11 02:24 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Told you it was a configure issue Wayne! !!
Mrs Rossy is making you a T shirt with "Dont panic" written on it.
Your set up is looking good Wayne, and I will be very interested to check mine is set up as best it can be for latency issues, when pianoman gets back, I am still using reason three, because I am on the tower and not a laptop.

Glad its starting to get super sorted!!

#1728285 - 08/07/11 02:34 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ok Rossy, you were right, Rostosky was right everyone, he told me what the problem was, a simple click in a checkbox, one touch of my mouse pad!

Obviously a black T-shirt, with black text, send my thanks to Mrs Rossy smile

#1728297 - 08/07/11 02:59 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

cant wait for pianomans post , if Asio4all will make latency dissapear, then that would be magic, and make reason a lot more happy happy. Your first attempt sounded well wayne!
There are "things" to learn like "chains" this is to do with if you have a bass drum and a bass sound like a guitar sounding at the same time, it stops one muffleing the other..

And I love the Automation that can be done on the synths, automation can be done at any time, and is a usefull function for sound textures, The more you get into reason, the more massive it gets!

And there are plug ins and topups!!!
when you are totally comfortable with it Wayne (say a couple of years if you are like me!) it is great to use all of reasons devices in ableton, as well as abletones devices.

The wonder of ableton live 8 is its live ability.

#1728299 - 08/07/11 03:03 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wayne, I have just heard from AImeeO (gossip but true) That somebody called "billyO" has allegedly been emailing my special friend milla jovovich....

This is bad style, aimeeO says he has been knocked back, well good, but why copy me?

I started that, ages ago , I claim copyright.

#1728302 - 08/07/11 03:10 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm not all that clued up about these copyright laws, maybe you need some advice, you could have a word with Nicole94707 ?

I'm just cooking sunday dinner, so will keep popping back now and then, to see if Pianoman has posted his video tutorial.

#1728306 - 08/07/11 03:19 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoMan1990 Offline

I am rendering it now. Honestly there isnt much more that needs to be done. Basically you need to set your buffer size to the lowest possible number you can without getting a crackle in your sound card and no latency. I will uplaod the video still that just shows you really quick what I am exactly talking about but if you wanna take a crack at the buffer before I get it up then you are more than welcome. Just open up the preferences and go to the audio tab then lower the buffer size to a really low number and see how your sound handles it. If it cracks then raise it little by little until you hit the magic number for your system that will allow you to play with no latency and no crackling. My magic number is 512 but it may be different for you based on your system specs. Because now it is all about your system specs and not so much the piano or software. If you have a semi decent sound card lowering the buffer size if its set high right now will eliminate all latency issues. But like I said I will upload here right now so you can see exactly what I am talking about and maybe help some other people too having issues getting the driver set up.

Edited by PianoMan1990 (08/07/11 03:24 PM)

#1728310 - 08/07/11 03:33 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoMan1990 Offline

I must go help my grandma move her tv ill be back in like an hour. Hopefully this helps if you have any questions ill answer them when i get back

#1728312 - 08/07/11 03:39 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Brilliant.......thank you!!!!! I'm gonna go test it out, whilst trying not to burn dinner..........thanks again smile I'll be back later also.

#1728322 - 08/07/11 03:55 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Brilliant + 1 excellent and thanks so much pianoman, your a true star!!

#1728335 - 08/07/11 04:20 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Installed asio4all (and selected it in the audio preferences this time lol) turned buffer to 520, I think it's a bit better?

#1728342 - 08/07/11 04:34 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

is that as low as the buffer will go Wayne with no crackling?

#1728347 - 08/07/11 04:38 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Pretty much yeah, I'm running win7 on a dual core lappy 2 x 1.6ghz and 2GB RAM

#1728362 - 08/07/11 05:12 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoMan1990 Offline

Question is do you notice a better response to your playing? As far as latency goes what are your numbers in Reason 5 for latency like I showed you mine? I had 1ms input 16ms output. Whats yours at with it set to 520 samples? Glad the video helped you guys out. I have spent many years playing with software and digital pianos so I know quite a bit about them and how to set it all up. If you need anymore help just let me know and Ill make another video or explain it as best as I can. Hopefully the latency is low enough now that you should have no issues playing piano and hearing the sound. Cheers everyone.

#1728370 - 08/07/11 05:24 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@520, input 17ms, output 16ms. Yes this is much better!

Thnx again, you've been so helpful smile I know where to come if I need any advice, as Rossy said, ur a star!

Edited by wayne32yrs (08/07/11 05:25 PM)

#1728372 - 08/07/11 05:25 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes Pianoman, I need more help on a different issue,
Is it possible to assign individual keys on my keyboard (say some of the lower ones far left) to trigger events in reason on and off, I know it is in abelton live 8..

But If I was playing live in Reason, can I assign keys to enable and disable sounds that I have allready put together?

#1728379 - 08/07/11 05:41 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
PianoMan1990 Offline

Ok I will look into that for you. I have never tried it personally but I dont see why not. I will get back to you with another video on how to do it as soon as I figure it out myself smile Shouldnt take too long but I do have to go out tonight at 6pm so in half an hour to have dinner with some friends so it may be later tonight that I get the video up for you. Just hang in there with me and I will get some results for you. I am currently uploading a crash course through Sonar 7 and ASIO4ALL for this forum as well for others who may need help. So once thats done if I have time before I leave i will start looking into setting specific keys to trigger other sounds in the lower register. Thanks for being so patient with me and my hectic schedule guys and glad that you were able to get the latency low enough to play without any issues. I run my own computer repair business as you can see in my signature that main website I have so playing with computer settings is what I do best and getting software to do what we want it to do hahaha. So with all that said, let me go on the hunt for your answer and get something prepared for you smile

#1728387 - 08/07/11 06:02 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Excellent Pianoman, enjoy your dinner, you sure deserve it,
"Pianoman, de-mystifies the mysterious!"
thanks again.

#1728388 - 08/07/11 06:04 PM Re: recording from my keyboard to laptop [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

+1 smile (I need to learn some more emoticons)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help picking a Beethoven Piano Sonata Slow movement
by oaklandraiders76
12/20/14 04:50 PM
What are some great ways to learn the blues?
by brucepiano
12/20/14 04:37 PM
Do you recommend an undercover on upright with Dampp-Chaser?
by thestar
12/20/14 03:56 PM
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
12/20/14 02:28 PM
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
12/20/14 01:37 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160021 Topics
2349933 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission