Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 20 of 236 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 235 236 >
Topic Options
#1726364 - 08/04/11 07:11 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Brilliant postings guys and galls, Recaredo: now I am really freaked out, Yes that is indeed my keyboard, and being sold under many different names, this is not good news.
Thanks so much for finding these links, I am very gratefull.

Why would Ashton allow its flagship keyboard to be sold under different names? I can only think of very bad reasons.

I mean if I built a keyboard that I was proud of, and called it the Rossy, why would I allow it to be called anything else?

This does not bode well..

I will now get back onto Ashton and question them over this very issue.

Ah well, Roxy music: Love is the drug.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1726603 - 08/04/11 02:06 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Hello everyone! Thanks for all of the posts yesterday. Good stuff! I'm on a short break, and will do my posts rather quickly. Today, I've decided to share some Caribbean/Latin American music, and music from Africa.

My first post will be Senegalese artist Wasis Diop. I first heard him nearly 10 years ago when he was presented by artist David Byrne on the PBS TV series, Sessions at West 54th Street. Here is his performance of "Soweto Daal."

#1726619 - 08/04/11 02:22 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

My next post will be percusionist Poncho Sanchez performance of "Watermelon Man," a favorite we liked to dance to in high school and college.

#1726620 - 08/04/11 02:25 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Folks, there may have been some tech problems with accessing the Poncho Sanchez selection. Let me know if you have problems seeing or hearing it.

That's all I have time for right now. I will see if I can squeeze in a few more posts later. I must run. Have a good day!

Edited by griffin2417 (08/04/11 02:26 PM)

#1726630 - 08/04/11 02:43 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Talking of jazz (which I am not really, except to mention this)

The daughter of Cleo Laine and Johnny Dankworth, Jacqueline Dankworth, releases her new albumn entitled: "It happens quietly" (obviously not quietly enough for me) On the 15th August.

While Jacqueline looks like the spitting image of her Mother Cleo, I don't believe thats any excuse for singing like her.

However, prejudices aside, This morning on UK telly, interviewed her, and compared her laid back singing style on this albumn to The lady with the prominent probiscus: Barbara streisand.

Jacqueline said " She is a hero of mine, and I am flattered for you to say I sound like her on this albumn"

The albumn was co-written with her late father all the way up to and including being on his death bed, where he dictated orchestration for the brass ensembles etc.

He orchestrated the whole albumn.

Feeling sorry for the demise of the late Johnny Dankworth, is However, no excuse for buying this albumn, which you should not do Unless you like smooth laid back jazz in the style of smokey bar rooms.

This is another reason why I do not like Jazz: I may have been persuaded into a smokey bar room, where I would have at least been able to smoke, Now that stupid laws have been passed, I am not allowed to smoke, so would have nothing to do with my hands to help me avoid the jazz.

Anyways, even though I will not be buying this albumn, it doesn't stop me knowing about it , or passing that info on to others who might well buy it and enjoy it,

I think thats jolly sporting of me, and I will celebrate my kindness with a cigerette, prompto.
This is what the albumn looks like....

Edited by Rostosky (08/04/11 02:48 PM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1726666 - 08/04/11 03:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Talking of jazz (which I am not really, except to mention this)

The daughter of Cleo Laine and Johnny Dankworth, Jacqueline Dankworth, releases her new albumn entitled: "It happens quietly" (obviously not quietly enough for me) On the 15th August.

While Jacqueline looks like the spitting image of her Mother Cleo, I don't believe thats any excuse for singing like her.

However, prejudices aside, This morning on UK telly, interviewed her, and compared her laid back singing style on this albumn to The lady with the prominent probiscus: Barbara streisand.

Jacqueline said " She is a hero of mine, and I am flattered for you to say I sound like her on this albumn"

The albumn was co-written with her late father all the way up to and including being on his death bed, where he dictated orchestration for the brass ensembles etc.

He orchestrated the whole albumn.

Feeling sorry for the demise of the late Johnny Dankworth, is However, no excuse for buying this albumn, which you should not do Unless you like smooth laid back jazz in the style of smokey bar rooms.

This is another reason why I do not like Jazz: I may have been persuaded into a smokey bar room, where I would have at least been able to smoke, Now that stupid laws have been passed, I am not allowed to smoke, so would have nothing to do with my hands to help me avoid the jazz.

Anyways, even though I will not be buying this albumn, it doesn't stop me knowing about it , or passing that info on to others who might well buy it and enjoy it,

I think thats jolly sporting of me, and I will celebrate my kindness with a cigerette, prompto.

Indeed, you are a jolly good sport Rossy! In fact, you are way cool! I've thought so from the start. I just dropped by while I'm munching on my sandwich to see what is happening. I truly thank you for sharing this information about Jacqueline Dankworth. This will be an introduction for me, and I am looking forward to hearing her album.

Back to work! I'm still planning to post later. Have a good day!

#1726707 - 08/04/11 05:17 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I know it's very early here in the UK : 10.00pm, but unusually, I am extremely tired, this is because I have stopped up all day after being awake all night.

Hopefully, I will now start waking up in the morning again like normal people do.

I know this wont last, it never does, first it will be staying up till midnight, then 2 am then 3 am 4 am , and gradually I will return to this strange syndrome of nocturnalness.

I have a theory: I was born at 2am , so theoretically, my day started then, as it so often does now, and has all my life.

But for now, for today, I can pretend to be normal, and have what ordinary folk call an early night.

Another from Fantasy shift by Here and NOW, this ones called "Sold the world" AHA , I hear you complain! Not Bowies "man who sold the world?"

How could they? no one can do a Bowie cover and pull it off surely?

Well, yes it is a cover of Bowies Man who sold the world, Here and Now, while keeping all the essential elements of the original intacticus so to speak, still manage to give it that Here and Now edge, and make it ,well more dancable...?

I hope even the Bowie Purists will like this...

#1727070 - 08/05/11 08:00 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I dont know why I love this next piece of music! There is a bit of talking on it first, not a lot, and it soon starts.

I think its just because its happy, and I like the Idea of just getting on a national express coach, especially if things are going wrong...

Anyways, The Divine Comedy, and "natioanl express"
enjoy.

#1727140 - 08/05/11 10:29 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
When I was a teenager, I liked this song. I don’t know why. Maybe I was in love with some girl.

My website

#1727179 - 08/05/11 11:24 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Good morning folks! Rossy, I don't think I want to get on that National Express with that attendant! However, that was a fun post!

Recaredo, thanks for sharing one of your pop favorites. I remember hearing that song on the radio. I liked it. I never found out who sang it, and didn't pursue finding out. Now your post has answered the question! Keep them coming my friend!

My first post today goes back to my junior high school days. It was another dance favorite called "Get a Job" by the Silhouettes. Enjoy!

#1727182 - 08/05/11 11:31 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

My second post will be another fun dance song from my Memory Lane. The Chiffons were one of the top girl groups in the early 1960s. "He's So Fine" was a top hit.

#1727192 - 08/05/11 11:42 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Okay, I'm on a roll now! Get out your disco dancing shoes! Time for Donna Summer's sizzling disco hit in 1978, "Last Dance." (Yes, I can still kick it on the dance floor!) grin

#1727212 - 08/05/11 12:16 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Great posts! I totally forgot about that Self Control song! National Express was great. I think they used to play Last Dance at a bar I would go to around the time of last call. I just remembered that.

Was listening to the Great Expectations soundtrack yesterday. Some of my favorites:

#1727216 - 08/05/11 12:18 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

This one just popped in my head:

#1727222 - 08/05/11 12:24 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

And something totally unrelated:

#1727225 - 08/05/11 12:26 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

He's So Fine for some reason made me think of this song:

#1727243 - 08/05/11 12:51 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Brilliant, Loved the chiffons griffin.....
Recaredo:
We need details, we thrive on gossip here in Wales, as there is not much else to do.
You say "Maybe I was in love with somegirl"
Rossy says ; "If you were, then you would know and remember her name forever, and there would be no 'maybe' about it."

Come on do tell!

Here is a new (but old ) direction, it was divine comedy that made me think of this: "Singing through a megaphone"

OOOh!!! I love this sound and wondered about its origins, for some reason, it gives a totally "english sound" yet could have originated anywhere for all I know.....

Heres two... except that "winchester cathedral" was not done through a megaphone, but through cupped hands to imitate a megaphone!!

Anyways, first of is David Mc williams, "the days of pearly spencer"
(some may remember it being done by Marc almond,who didnt use the megaphone effect)

And John smith and the new sound: "Winchester cathedral"

Edited by Rostosky (08/05/11 12:57 PM)

#1727313 - 08/05/11 02:25 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: AimeeO]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
And something totally unrelated:

OMG Aimee! Now you've taken me back to my childhood! I can't believe I'm going to share one of my favorite childhood (6 years old) songs sung by Patti Page. I know there are plenty of others viewing this that will remember "Doggie," but just won't admit it!

#1727316 - 08/05/11 02:38 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I am going to stick with singing through a megaphone for a little while longer!!

I will just pop back to 1932 for this song, and this is driving me nuts, I just know I have heard and seen this song being sung through a megaphone, but cannot remember where or by who, it may have been in a film, or even on Jeeves and wooster....

Love is the sweetest thing.. I just know I have heard it sung through a megaphone...aaarggh where?

#1727320 - 08/05/11 02:49 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Sorry I can't help you figure out the megaphone selection Rossy. I stretched myself going back to 1951 (or whatever) with Patti Page.

This will be my last post for now. I must run. I will have more listening time later this evening. Let's go back to the 60s again! Here is the Crystals, another popular girl group singing "Da Doo Ron Ron."

Edited by griffin2417 (08/05/11 02:50 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#1727321 - 08/05/11 02:52 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

I possibly may have something for tonight. If not, I've got some fun things for this weekend. Have a good Friday everyone!

Thanks Aimee and Rossy for a fun Friday of tunes!

#1727362 - 08/05/11 04:11 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Fantastic posts from everybody! I’m learning a lot about many music styles. It’s great!

My website

#1727365 - 08/05/11 04:17 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rostosky

You say "Maybe I was in love with somegirl"
Rossy says ; "If you were, then you would know and remember her name forever, and there would be no 'maybe' about it."

Come on do tell!

Oh Rossy, at that age I was in love with almost every girl I knew. Those loves lasted very very little.

My website

#1727570 - 08/06/11 12:33 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Terrific stuff, everyone! thumb

Just heard this song on the radio and looked it up on YouTube and found this.. What a wonder-ful keyboardist he is,as well as everything else! I'm trying to learn to play this now. smile

#1727585 - 08/06/11 01:22 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Elssa, absolutely FANTASTIC!! thumb I was already in a positive place tonight, and your posting Stevie's hit raised my spirits even further. Thanks so much!

It's my bedtime, and I've enjoyed everyone's contributions. I'm looking forward to this weekend. Good night!

#1727644 - 08/06/11 06:48 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Right Dudes and Dudetts, I tracked down the original of something extremely funny, just for you...

But first a little note, the Goldcoast singers often used to go to church and church social gatherings, they are not, I repeat not being blasphemous in this song.
What they are doing is extracting the Michael over horrid plastic tat sold to folk as icons.

"The pink and pleasent plastic Icon company"

I first came accross a version of this song on a very famous albumn called "Pot, spoon, pipe and jug" which was released in 1976.

BUT, this was a collection of very much earlier songs, mainly from the thirties and featured folk like Huddie Leadbetter, Hazel meyers, Memphis jug band, etc etc....
Very old jazz type classics in fact.

So from 1957, The gold coast singers, and Plastic Jesus.

#1727651 - 08/06/11 08:16 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Excellent Rossy! laugh. I laughed so hard. I first heard about this song from a college classmate. I never got to hear the original, however. Thanks. I'll be back later today to post a few things.

#1727754 - 08/06/11 01:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

I'm craving Supertramp today.

Here's Roger Hodgson doing Fool's Overture with an orchestra:

#1727760 - 08/06/11 01:49 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

I knew that Kate Pierson from the B52s did this with Iggy, but I never heard the version with Chrissie Hynde. She's got such an awesome voice:

Kate's version is awesome too.

#1727769 - 08/06/11 02:14 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

My favorite bassist:

FYI, you could possible play those songs on one of these:

Edited by AimeeO (08/06/11 02:15 PM)

Page 20 of 236 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 235 236 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
99 registered (angga888, Atrys, adanepst, ando, Adypiano, Alux, 22 invisible), 1303 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249662 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission