Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 21 of 236 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 235 236 >
Topic Options
#1727793 - 08/06/11 02:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: AimeeO]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Originally Posted By: griffin2417

Now you've taken me back to my childhood! I can't believe I'm going to share one of my favorite childhood (6 years old) songs sung by Patti Page. I know there are plenty of others viewing this that will remember "Doggie," but just won't admit it!

I remember my mum used to sing that to me and my sister when we were younger smile

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
FYI, you could possible play those songs on one of these:

Cardboard bass, whateva next?

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1727798 - 08/06/11 03:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
AimeeO, I will pass on your example of the cardboardbass ,henceforth entitled "Cardass" so as not to confuse it with the cardboardanno of somewhat infamous yet legendry note, to the head office of NII.

You will recieve full honours for spotting and posting it, and may be called for an interview at a later date, by either head office or R&D in Wales UK. Well done, a fine addition to the "banned ones" introduction of the cardboardanno.

And good choices of supertramp, I really enjoyed them and will probably post "dreamer" ( one of my favs) next, no, actually right now!

from the Old grey whistle test, with the original line up no less!!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1727800 - 08/06/11 03:11 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

test icicles can be rearranged to form cleTS, (the banned one)
Hes done it, hes formed his own band just to show us!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1727809 - 08/06/11 03:27 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Hello everyone. I'm enjoying what I'm hearing. Rock on! It's the weekend, and I'll be sharing a variety of my eclectic music taste.

My first post today is Angelique Kidjo, a multitalented vocalist from Benin. I first heard her more than 10 years ago on PBS, and years later in concert at the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts in St. Paul.

Here is her live performance of "Voodoo Chile."

#1727825 - 08/06/11 03:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

My second post will feature music from the Planet Drum project produced by Grateful Dead drummer, Mickey Hart. It had long been Hart's dream to bring together drummers from around the world to make a recording based entirely on percussion. I've enjoyed this album for nearly 15 years, and am pleased to share some of it with you.

Here is "The Hunt."

#1727828 - 08/06/11 03:58 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
This goes for those totally devoted to the choral music. It’s one of the most beautiful pieces by that amazing British composer called Thomas Tallis.

My website

#1727842 - 08/06/11 04:12 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
griffin2417 Offline

Absolutely beautiful, Recaredo! I am not familiar with this. Thank you for introducing me.

#1727847 - 08/06/11 04:20 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Recaredo, in answer to your love of all the girls when you was younger, I think we should call you "The spanish casanova"
Lovely music !

Some good stuff there Griffin, been trying to help Wayne, hes got Reason Okay, but then went and installed a driver called ASIO, and messed things up, I think (but cannot be certain) that this driver needs configuring, but he is getting a tad impatient, cant blame him, technology is meant to make things easy! Anyways hes got visitors at the moment so has left the figuring/configuring for now!

I might try and find out in the meantime what he has done wrong! Keep posting folks, I can listen and look!!

#1727852 - 08/06/11 04:36 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Rossy and Wayne, I don't envy you. When I returned to the piano last year I made the decision to hold off on jumping into the techno stuff until I get more settled into piano practicing. I was concerned that if I jumped into that side of things too soon, I'd loose too much time learning some new pieces (after a 35-year hiatus!).

Hang in there. We'll provide you with some music to listen to...,or ignore!

I'll be back very shortly with something.

#1727854 - 08/06/11 04:41 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Griffin, my guess is this will suit!!!
The drifters: saturday night at the movies...

Me and mrs Rossy are staying in for our saturday night at the movies.. In ten mins, is the film "The watchmen"

From the graphic novels of the same name!! Oh yes. we have had curry and chips, and I will now go make mrs Rossy a cup of her favourite coffee, and see if she will shift up on the settee for me, and who knows.... well I am not telling!

Recaredo taught me that: no telling! enjoy!!

later dudes and dudetts!!

#1727855 - 08/06/11 04:41 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Griffin and Rossy, I’m so glad to hear you liked If Ye love Me.

Now for those totally devoted to violin music. There are no words to describe the music of Sibelius.

#1727858 - 08/06/11 04:50 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Recaredo we posted at the same time, I will be back after the film.
Ps, there are three words to describe Sibelius.

One of the words is Russian and means the same as "lots of good wodka" and also can be used for "That girl is pretty even though she has one eye higher than the other" ( a complex language Russian)

The other two words can be found in Hieroglyphic form scribed in the temple at Karnak, this single glyph means "good and musical" and also "bow to pharaoh or you will be made to carry heavy blocks of stone for ages"

Anyways, the acedemics are always arguing over that one.

#1727860 - 08/06/11 04:51 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Griffin, my guess is this will suit!!!
The drifters: saturday night at the movies...

Loved it Rossy! It was fun. Thanks.

#1727873 - 08/06/11 05:22 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Recaredo, I am blocked from seeing your post in the U.S. Bummers! Is it Prelude in G minor by Sibelius? I think I can get a listen another way if you can give me the correct title.

In the meantime, I will do another post. This will be a blend of Celtic and New Age music. Here is Eric Tingstad and Nancy Rumbel's recording of "Fisherman's Dream."

#1727874 - 08/06/11 05:28 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Griffin, it's Serenade Op. 69 No. 2. I hope you can watch this one.

My website

#1727875 - 08/06/11 05:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Thanks Recaredo! It was very beautiful. My familiarity with Sibelius is through a few of his choral compositions. This is a nice introduction to his instrumental works.

#1727887 - 08/06/11 05:53 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Okay, my next post reaches into the soul of my own cultural music roots. Sweet Honey in the Rock is an internationally renowned all-woman, African-American a cappella ensemble. They are an American Grammy Award-winning (and many times nominated) troupe who express their history as women of color through song.

Here is their performance of "In the Morning When I Rise."

#1727890 - 08/06/11 05:57 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm watchin another, Amy Tribute, this was wicked smile

#1727893 - 08/06/11 06:04 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

And yes Rossy, I'm leaving the configuring (did i spell that with an American accent)till 2morow lol, gonna chill out for 2night smile

#1727895 - 08/06/11 06:08 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

It's time for me to feed my other music interest. Piano practice time! However, I won't subject any of you to that! grin I'll go away for a while to do my piano work alone. I'm hoping to do a few more posts later today.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from others!

#1727898 - 08/06/11 06:14 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

Excellent Wayne! We posted about the same time. I'm off to my piano. Thanks.

#1727961 - 08/06/11 08:27 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Great posts folks, as usual, well I am off to bed, but first I will say that the film "Watchmen" was excellent and did the graphic novel as fair a justice as any film is likely too, AND it had some good music in it, Dylans "the times they are a changing" and Hendrixs version of "all allong the watchtower" so all in all a most pleasent film.

And dr.Manhatten was an excellent shade of blue, just as he is meant to be.

Here is a picture of silk spectreII from this most excellent movie....

Unfortunately,they were going to ask Milla Jovovich to play this part, but then decided they wanted someone less well known, I will of course complain on Millas behalf, and then email her again to let her know I am fighting her corner,despite the restraining order.
Hopefully, Milla will then invite me over for dinner and say things like "Rossy I am so proud of you, how can I repay you?"

And feed me expensive chocolates that she bought from Harrods,and ask me to play her expensive piano that is a proper German one.

Anyways (again) here is a pic from the film that hasn't got Milla in it but nearly did, and would have if they had consulted me.

#1727983 - 08/06/11 09:32 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I would like to share some more Schoenberg with you. On various other posts - usually ones that have topics like "what is the most beautiful this or that" - I have posted this video, and nobody has ever even acknowledged it, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Perhaps it is because they see the name "Arnold Schoenberg" in the title and just move on.

Personally, I think that this piece is absolutely remarkable, not just in terms of its melodic nature, but in terms of its craftsmanship. When you listen to all 4 minutes and 51 seconds of it you get this remarkable sense of an overarching continuity similar to the effect one gets when you listen to a Wagner Opera. Its lush chromaticism is almost overwhelming. It is just an unbelievably astounding and completely unappreciated work in my opinion.

#1727988 - 08/06/11 09:44 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi PPP. I'm going to have to check it out Sunday. My hand device won't let me view it.

#1728039 - 08/07/11 12:49 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

This will be my last post for the evening. I've enjoyed listening and learning.

I first became aware of Cassandra Wilson many years ago while viewing Ken Burns' production of the Jazz in America series on PBS TV. Cassandra is an American jazz musician, vocalist, songwriter, and producer from Jackson, Mississippi. Described by critic Gary Giddins as "a singer blessed with an unmistakable timbre and attack [who has] expanded the playing field" by incorporating country, blues and folk music into her work, Wilson has won two Grammy Awards. See what you think!

Good night!

#1728103 - 08/07/11 07:23 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Griffin, Cassandra Wilson has a delightful voice. I’ve really enjoyed that song.

Polyphasicpianist, thanks for your interesting post. Transfigured Night is the only composition by Schoenberg that I managed to understand. Through your post, I’ve listened to Zwei Gesänge for two times, and I’ve been shocked. I hope you post more music from Schoenberg, so see you have a good knowledge of him.

Edited by Recaredo (08/07/11 07:26 AM)

My website

#1728114 - 08/07/11 08:06 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Polyphasicpianist, it is a beautifull piece of music indeed, and shows what can be achieved when self taught?
Dont quite understand why no one has ever commented before, except that the internet is a strange and unusual place.

Hmm, Thinks to himself, "Alices adventures in wonderland" and a 21st centuary version: "rostoskys adventures on the interweb" maybe a book in that......?

Griffin, brilliant as usual, and Recaredo (the spanish casanova!) excellent...

My offering for Sunday noontime listening......

And now for something completely different:

No matter what race, nationality, creed, colour, or political inclination, the High seas will offer you no extra favour.
The sea is a dangerous place at the best of times, and thats without anyone else trying to blow you out of the water, whilst you sail upon her.

The lists of merchant vessels lost, go on and on and on and on, ad infinitum. It is a truly staggering subject matter to investigate.

Furthermore, here in the UK, we have prgramme after programme on the TV informing us about the "Few" (The RAF pilots) that we owe so much to, granted we do, However,

Without the "many" ( the men of the merchant navy) we would have starved , and I wouldnt be here talking about it.

In fact, I have invented a new saying, it goes like this:

"Never have so many, given so much, for so little.(recognition)

In Aprill next year we see the 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster, and we also see Robin Gibb of the beegees bring out an albumn of the same name,done with , I believe the LSO. There will be mounds of memorabilia, tons of it, and a lot of folk will be making money from it.
There will be Pink and pleasent plastic replicas for sale.

Meanwhile the thousands of men from the merchant marine from the IInd world war who gave their lives go largley unrecognised...
This is my thought for today,and my music is?
The Red army choir Naval hymn, powerfull stuff indeed.

#1728122 - 08/07/11 08:53 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Good Sunday Rossy. That was a great post, and a wonderful tribute. It is also a good segway to my Sunday classical posts. My first post will actually be 3 posts. It has a very special connection for me because my better half had it in his collection of music when we first met 42 years ago. Since August is our anniversary, it seemed like a good idea to share it with you, and thank a certain Mr. Telemann for being there (in spirit and music) to get us off to a great beginning!

Here is the "Concerto in B Flat major for 3 Oboes, 3 Violins & Continuo" by Georg Philipp Telemann. This is the first track from Triple Concertos, performed by Collegium Musicum 90 and conducted by Simon Standage, 1995. The oboes are Anthony Robson, Richard Earle, and Chery Forbes. The violins are Simon Standage, Micaela Comberti, and Catherine Weiss.

I. Allegro

II. Largo

III. Allegro 2

Have a great day everyone!

#1728126 - 08/07/11 09:13 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

My next post is British guitarist Julian Bream. I posted one of his selections last Sunday. Here is one more, "Fugue in A Minor," by J.S. Bach.

#1728129 - 08/07/11 09:24 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loved the Telemann and bream Griffin, very good sunday mid afternnon here music!!

Page 21 of 236 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 235 236 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
64 registered (36251, Al LaPorte, Atrys, Asmodeus, angga888, adanepst, 15 invisible), 1164 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153493 Topics
2249226 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
Today at 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
Today at 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
Today at 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission