2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 370 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 369 370
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Aha, good remember Grifffin.. chicago, first heard at my mates house , he had a penchant for this one which I loved too.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
[quote=Rostosky]Aha, good remember Grifffin.. chicago, first heard at my mates house , he had a penchant for this one which I loved too.

/quote]

Nice one Rossy! I always loved this one as well. I enjoyed listening to it today while having my lunch break. I'll have a few more to share later.

Last edited by griffin2417; 07/13/11 07:11 AM.

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Heres another you may remember, it came at round about the same time-ish.
Liverpool express, you are my love.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I always stop what I'm doing (if feasible) when I hear the magic voice of Etta James singing "At Last." Enjoy!

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Fabulous Griffin......I did have a song in mind for today, but i'll leave it for a more appropriate time.

instead.....

Well, today was a lovely day.... (queue song and no apologies for the eye-bleeding psychodelia, I'm in that sorta mood.)

Class, this.

smile

Last edited by Sly Cat; 07/12/11 03:39 PM.

Currently playing an Axus D2.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
That was really beautifull Griffin, thank you.

I spotted that Slycats "signature" says "rap is to music what etch a sketch is to art"

And I agree totally, except, she must have either forgot, or not know, about JCC : John cooper clarke. John can be described as the Grandfather of Rap, But he always has something worthwile to say, unlike todays alleged rappers, smacking their bitches and other such garbage.

John Cooper clarke, Beasley street.

Originally Posted by Rostosky
SlyCat, wow, I was going to post that Justin Hayward, thanks so much, I love that. I also love loads of early Muse big time.

And to show that Mathew bellamy of Muse is quite capable, here is a video of him playing Chopin,Nocturne op9 no. no2.

Muse + chopin!!!

He's such a git. Then again, he was playing piano before he could walk, almost. His dad was in The Tornados so he grew up with so many musical advantages.

SOME of us have to wait till we're adults before learning piano.

(sigh)

He's a good git, though.

This one's for Mr Bellamy senior.

I spotted that Slycats "signature" says "rap is to music what etch a sketch is to art"

I can call it crap with the silent "c" if you prefer....

Oh alright, there are one or two that are palatable - but by and large... (makes retching noises)

I can listen to just about any sort of music and enjoy it - with the exception of almost all C&W and (c)rap.

Last edited by Sly Cat; 07/12/11 03:42 PM.

Currently playing an Axus D2.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
SLYCAT, this is so weird, you would not believe what I was just about to post... hang loose two mins and I will post what I am on about....
Did you check the john cooper clarke out?

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Here we are Slycat, this was going to be my next post wow, synchronocity!!

Now the reasons: everybody remembers "Telstar" but when I was little and used to listen to me mams records, the very first thing I figured out musically was this:

That the Tornadoes "Globetrotter" was a rip off of "Venus in Blue Jeans" by Jimmy clanton.

See what you think, compare and contrast... I was just 4 years old when I figured this. MY mam would have none of it,and kept saying they were completely different songs and had no similarity!!

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Here we are Slycat, this was going to be my next post wow, synchronocity!!

Now the reasons: everybody remembers "Telstar" but when I was little and used to listen to me mams records, the very first thing I figured out musically was this:

That the Tornadoes "Globetrotter" was a rip off of "Venus in Blue Jeans" by Jimmy clanton.

See what you think, compare and contrast... I was just 4 years old when I figured this. MY mam would have none of it,and kept saying they were completely different songs and had no similarity!!

Sly Cat and Rossy are taking me WAY back to my pre-teens with Jimmy Clanton's hit song, and "Telstar." I can't say they were among my favorites. However, I heard them just about everyday on Dick Clark's "American Bandstand" show on TV.

Also, the song "Telstar" was released (don't remember dates) after the U.S. successfully launched the Telstar satellite into space, thereby opening up cross continental communications in ways we now take for granted.

Sly Cat, and Wayne, I loved your follow ups to my Etta James. Totally enjoyed hearing Roberta Flack and Bill Withers. Since we are having this talk via Piano World, it seems appropriate to mention that Roberta Flack is not only a gifted singer, she also taught piano lessons for many years in Washington, D.C.

I'm looking forward to more posts, and I will send a few more later today.

Last edited by griffin2417; 07/12/11 06:41 PM. Reason: typos

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rossy, lol, they're almost identical! Nowadays, we'd say, Venus in Blue Jeans, was sampled in the Tornadoes Globetrotter

Hope you don't mind me going slightly OT, but I love this one, I play a version of this, just by ear, it seems there aren't many piano covers of this on YT, appart from BBK, who is, I must say, really good!

Part of the song was created/inspired by the sound of hung, glass bottles, clanging

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 07/12/11 05:30 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
My next offering is Stoke Newington London band "The sons of the desert" before anyone gets confused there is also an American band with this name.

The line up was then: Ewan Shiels (songwriter, vocals and mandolin), Tracey Booth (vocals, bodhran and tambourine among others), Joseph Doherty (violin and saxophone), Stephen Harrison (double bass) and Johnny Nolan (guitar).

For the first albumn entitled "cannibal hood carnival hat"
The artist who made the painting and drawings of the record sleeve is Tony "Doc" Shiels, Ewan's father, former famous illusionist and author of the first official Nessy colour photograph!

Anyways, here is their version of the Stones "Paint it black"
OMG>
OMG...OMG, OMG, OMG, There is a "precurser" Of the Note reader International inc "bag on the head" in this video from 1990, Notereader International R&D division Wales UK, has only just spotted this, And will be informing head office.

[video:youtube]p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-yQlejdVkI[/video]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wayne32yrs
Rossy, lol, they're almost identical! Nowadays, we'd say, Venus in Blue Jeans, was sampled in the Tornadoes Globetrotter

Hope you don't mind me going slightly OT, but I love this one, I play a version of this, just by ear, it seems there aren't many piano covers of this on YT, appart from BBK, who is, I must say, really good!

Part of the song was created/inspired by the sound of hung, glass bottles, clanging

She was good. However, I'm rushing to the kitchen to make an omelette. I don't like my eggs sunnyside up!

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Time for a change of pace, and back down memory road to the late 1950s. Here's Little Richard!

Carl

C

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012
C
Wayne, Roberta Flack is wonderful, as always. Then I tried Bjork, and got the following message: This video is not available in your country.
It is not the first time I wonder what sort of country I am living in, but anyways, there is no shortage of idiots anywhere, and not all of them are useful idiots.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Wayne, I was really looking forward to Bjork, I have a thing about her and regularly send her emails, I know she is to busy to answer me, but never mind...

I got the message "embedding disabled by request" and had to go watch on you tuby....
Excellent, thanks, I know it got criticised, but I loved her in that film "dancer in the dark"
Brilliant.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Griffin, check out this interview and see what Ian Hunter says about little richard and jerry lewis...
This is a very very funny interview, Hunter is hilarious about Barry manilow who did a cover of the Ian hunter song Ships.

Also, since this interview Ian has of course been inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I got the message "embedding disabled by request" and had to go watch on you tuby....

I got that on 2 of the vids in this thread, I'm guessing it depends on your locality?

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ah local vids for local people. Nothing here for you, your not local? like Royston vasey!!!

Page 9 of 370 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission