2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1727115 08/05/11 09:46 AM
S
simeiz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello!
I need your advise. I am a professional pianist who doesn't know much about digital pianos. I have been playing on acoustic pianos all my life. Looking to buy a DP. Main goal for the instrument to sound as close to the acoustic piano as possible. From what I understand Yamaha Clavinova CLP would be the best choice for me. Which model? New or used? Please advise.

Thank you everyone!!! I appreciate all your help!

R
R
Following models will cost you $2000 to $3000 and have trusted sound and actions:

Console Pianos:

- Yamaha Clp 280 (old days hero)
- Yamaha CLP340/440 (the best balance of featurs and price in Clavinova Series)
- Roland HP203 (its almost equivalent to the Clp-340)

Stage Pianos:
- Nord Piano 88 (reloadable high quality piano samples, acceptable action)
- Roland FP-7F (both sound and action are good + some home entertaintment features)
- Kawai MP-10 (probably the best stage action, good sound)
- Roland RD700NX (good action and sound)
- Yamaha P155 (its the stage version of CLP 340)

Last edited by reza; 08/05/11 10:45 AM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by reza
Stage Pianos:
- Nord Piano 88 (reloadable high quality piano samples, acceptable action)
- Roland FP-7F (both sound and action are good + some home entertaintment features)
- Kawai MP-10 (probably the best stage action, good sound)
- Roland RD700NX (good action and sound)
- Yamaha P155 (its the stage version of CLP 340)

I think the two Rolands are pretty equivalent in their piano sound and action, it's just a matter of what other features you may want.

I think the competitive Yamaha in this group would be the CP5.

It sounds like the OP is looking at consoles, but personally, I think something more portable is almost always preferable. At some point, some years from now, you might want to sell and get something new. If you get something that is reasonably shippable, at least in the U.S., it's pretty easy to move it on eBay. With a console, it's much harder to sell, as you are essentially limited to people who live near you and who have the desire/ability to pick up a heavy piece of furniture.

S
simeiz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Clp-280 is discontinued. IS it still possible to buy somewhere? How much would the cost be? Could you please recommend some websites.

Thank you!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You might be able to find a used CLP280. But it's two generations old ... so you'll not likely find a new one. Its successor is the CLP380, and even that one will soon be out of stock, replaced by the CLP400 series.

So, why get stuck on the CLP280? There are plenty of other choices.

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
i bet you can buy this one for $2500-3000. new they are $6799. if they are actually still being made (conspiracy theorist..). there are some very serious pianists on this site who love the V. I own it (EDIT: i don't own THIS one that's being sold!) and have mixed feelings, but everything has a price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-V-Piano-...t=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item43a8d20050

but you have to nickname it "Fido" or "Ruff" because these are fast becoming rescue puppies.

(I'm keeping mine as the world's most expensive midi controller)...

Last edited by bfb; 08/05/11 01:38 PM.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
S
S
Have you read the digital piano sections of the free online Piano Buyer guide. The link is right on this page?

Teacher. 1926 Steinway M. Kawai CE200. Casio PX3. Yamaha P-60. Yamaha NP-30. Roland C-30 Digital Harpsichord. Roland Integra 7.
R
R
Sorry Simeiz, I don't know where you can found it in US. It is discontinued but it is still a good DP. Here they are selling it around $2800. Other models are all available new.

S
S
Maybe the Roland DP990F or DP990RF?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by simeiz
Hello!
I need your advise. I am a professional pianist who doesn't know much about digital pianos. I have been playing on acoustic pianos all my life. Looking to buy a DP. Main goal for the instrument to sound as close to the acoustic piano as possible. From what I understand Yamaha Clavinova CLP would be the best choice for me. Which model? New or used? Please advise.

Thank you everyone!!! I appreciate all your help!

Are you going to use this on jobs, will it stay at home and you'd also like it to look like a piece of furniture? You have to tell us a bit more.

The top of the line for many of us is the AvantGrand series from Yamaha - you have a real grand piano action and a first rate grand piano sample.

Give us more information.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Dave, I expect the 'not too expensive' part of the topic title may rule out the AvantGrand models.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Jame, I suspect not too expensive would rule out many pianos that the original poster should consider, but you're correct, even the N1 would be too expensive.

Perhaps if simeiz would tell us how much he would like to spend, we could narrow the field down somewhat.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Yes, that would help.

Having said that, the original poster does also state 'best', which would surely be an AvantGrand.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
I don't think there is any substitute for trying them out yourself at the store since you are a professional pianist, just because you think your budget is 5k doesn't mean you won't fall in love with a N1 and decide to buy it. there's not a lot of places to invest your money these days, I kinda wish I bought the mp10 instead of losing the equivalent on stocks smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bfb
i bet you can buy this one for $2500-3000. new they are $6799. if they are actually still being made (conspiracy theorist..). there are some very serious pianists on this site who love the V. I own it (EDIT: i don't own THIS one that's being sold!) and have mixed feelings, but everything has a price...

but you have to nickname it "Fido" or "Ruff" because these are fast becoming rescue puppies.

That's a really good buy. I'd take that over most anything else $3500 or less. It says it's only been in a studio and never moved. $3500 seems to be a good deal because unlike all sampled DPs, the V-Pianos modelling doesn't appear to 'date' as fast, and they just released a new V-Piano Grand with the same action and sound (for the most part) as this one for sale.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
Originally Posted by bfb

That's a really good buy. I'd take that over most anything else $3500 or less. It says it's only been in a studio and never moved. $3500 seems to be a good deal because unlike all sampled DPs, the V-Pianos modelling doesn't appear to 'date' as fast, and they just released a new V-Piano Grand with the same action and sound (for the most part) as this one for sale.

per another thread, it apparently sold for the asking bid of $3500. there was one listed a few weeks back at $4000- i don't know whether or not it cleared.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission