2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by asiantraveller101
Yuja probably does not give a "..." what we think.

I won't go into detail, but I can tell you that she does, indeed, give a "...." what you think.

Unfortunately, she isn't here on PW to defend herself against that..

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by liszt85

I won't go into detail, but I can tell you that she does, indeed, give a "...." what you think.

Against which?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

It would be nice to live in a world in which we (humans) judged each other on the basis of deeds more than on the basis of appearance. However, I'd wager most everyone who attended this particular performance, and saw Wang and the dress before a single note was played, had some particular reaction, and that reaction probably influenced how they perceived the rest of the show. I'd also wager that reaction in different people ran the gamut from offended to delighted. I'd guess Wang takes a calculated risk in choosing to dress as she does.

Personally I do wish music critics would comment on music, but I realize their allegiance is probably stronger with their employers than with me... and their employers probably have different priorities.

I'd rather be practicing wink
Kawai K-3, Roland FP-7F
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I am waiting for an interviewer to bring up the subject, and to invite Yuja to respond to critics who feel that her attire is inappropriate. I find it a bit hard to understand why such a question hasn't already been asked and reported on, and I'm wondering how much more time can go by (assuming she does occasional interviews) without this finally being addressed. I would like to hear her side of the story in her own words. (I also like her playing, what I've heard of it so far, by the way.)

(Used to post as SlatterFan)
A
A
That just looks cheap and slutty, and I feel that way when I see women dressed like that in any scenario. There's no taste or sophistication to that outfit. There is no sensual allure. It has nothing to do with some sort of prudishness of the "classical world". I can't stand that accusation.

You don't have to bow to the pop cultural demands of appearance to try to maintain some type of cultural relevance.

and this is why classical music goers rank among the lamest individuals on the planet. Oh nos, I see skin. And she isn't white. That over presented religious strata make classical music quite uncool.

I don't understand why classical music attracts such boring frigid listeners. Arg anyways.

Last edited by BadOrange; 08/09/11 09:49 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What she's wearing is not unusual for someone her age, and IMO she didn't do it to get attention.

Really? I'll bet that a poll of 1,000 people would strongly dissent from that view.

That is a "statement" outfit. It's unsettling to many in the audience, and likely deliberately so.

But hey, at least the wardrobe didn't ...... malfunction. Look, somebody had to say it! grin

Now, back to my earlier evasions. Women seem to be pushing the boundaries more than men. A man's concert statement might be to wear an all black outfit with a body fitting shirt .... no tie and no coat.. Waaaayyy risky .... not.

Originally Posted by BadOrange
and this is why classical music goers rank among the lamest individuals on the planet. Oh nos, I see skin. And she isn't white. That over presented religious strata make classical music quite uncool.

I don't understand why classical music attracts such boring frigid listeners. Arg anyways.

Are you serious, or just a troll? I'm beginning to wonder.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I have several reactions to the photo:
  • I wouldn't go see her because she was dressed like that.
  • I wouldn't not go see her because she was dressed like that.
  • If I were at a recital and the soloist walked out dressed like that, I might be somewhat surprised but I'd sit back and see what they had to say musically.
  • If they played a good to great recital the way they were dressed wouldn't matter at all.
  • If they played a mediocre to poor recital I'd think they dressed the way they did because they didn't have the chops to attract an audience otherwise.

Greg
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chobeethaninov
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
Still, her dress isn't indecent.

Really? You wouldn't catch me dead in that dress. I have more self respect than that to go dress myself up like a common [censored] when I perform (not that my parents would let me anyway). To dress tastefully when you perform is to show respect for your teachers, the audience, the music, yourself, the orchestra, etc...
+1

Best regards,

Deborah
Meh. The dress does look cheap and doesn't do her any favors. yawn

She has a lovely face and form and should work with a designer if she's in a "statement" mood.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

i think she does it just to [censored] of the grannies. SHe should get an abortion or just advertise the fact that she did. I mean don't go full on amy whinehouse or even 1/25 amy whinehouse but man , classical people need to chill out.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I believe that here she looks more like a performer in a nude bar, then a professional classical musician.
Yet another talent that is so insecure about how they are that they must lower themselves and cave in the to social pressures that educate :"the more flesh you show the better chance you have to succeed'.. as they say 'sex sells'...

Absolutely inappropriate dress, and now she went down considerably on the list of my fav pianists...
We have more then enough crazy lunatics that dress like who knows what in the pop music industry, must that behavior contaminate the classical music world?

What a shame.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

Against which?

Did she tell you that she cares about what people think of her dress? Even if she did, do you think its your job to say that on a public forum without her express permission to do so? Famous people must choose their friends wisely, IMO. You've already had about 5 posts here claiming that you know "Yuja" personally. Frankly, I'm getting tired of it. I won't go into detail but I can tell you that nobody really gives a "...." if you know her. Hope that explains my post better.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BruceD
What "other entertainment fields" are there where such attire would be appropriate except those where the singer is selling him/herself rather than the music.

I have nothing against concert performers dressing more casually than those of previous generations, or more comfortably or more reflective of what young people may favour in dress. That said, I felt that Yuja Wang's dress was inappropriate to the occasion. It bordered on the obscene, in that it attracted all the attention to her, physically, and not, in my curmudgeonly view, in an attractive way. I will refrain from using the four-letter word that came to mind to describe her when I saw photographs of her attire for that performance. The top was extremely low cut, the skirt was indecently short, and the whole skimpy outfit was so tight that one wonders how she could move in it. Spandex, I guess.

Say what you will and whether or not you think that "clothes (still) make the (wo)man," her brilliant pianism notwithstanding, she has gone down a notch in my esteem. I'm sure she could not care at all about my opinion, however.

Regards,

Bruce I have expressed similar sentiment, in my post above, very well said.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Saul

Absolutely inappropriate dress, and now she went down considerably on the list of my fav pianists...

If a pianist can go considerably down on your list of favorite pianists just because she wore a short dress, then you don't have a favorite list of pianists. What you have is a favorite list of tastefully dressed public figures who can also play the piano.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Saul

If a pianist can go considerably down on your list of favorite pianists just because she wore a short dress, then you don't have a favorite list of pianists. What you have is a favorite list of tastefully dressed public figures who can also play the piano.

Pianists are not machines that are here to satisfy my need for entertainment. I view them as human beings, and as such a pianist doesn’t only consists of playing beautiful music, but what kind of a person they are. Her aura now will always be tarnished when playing in my eyes, unless she will change considerably and behave like a lady.

For goodness sake, there were young children there, what in the world can children learn from her?

I’m sorry but she looks like a tramp in that dress, that’s the way it is. She has lowered the art of classical music considerably by her flaunting of her body so shamelessly infront of thousands of peoples if not millions, and in my book, it is Not a good thing at all.

Last edited by Saul; 08/09/11 10:34 PM.
E
E
Originally Posted by BB Player
I have several reactions to the photo:
  • I wouldn't go see her because she was dressed like that.
  • I wouldn't not go see her because she was dressed like that.
  • If I were at a recital and the soloist walked out dressed like that, I might be somewhat surprised but I'd sit back and see what they had to say musically.
  • If they played a good to great recital the way they were dressed wouldn't matter at all.
  • If they played a mediocre to poor recital I'd think they dressed the way they did because they didn't have the chops to attract an audience otherwise.

+1

and personally, I'd never wear anything like that.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BadOrange
And she isn't white.

Are you trying to say that people who don't like the dress are racist? This is rhetorical question because I won't read your answer.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Why are people focusing on that instead of how she plays?

So it's okay for a 10 year old girl to be dressed up like I don't know what for a Vogue photoshoot, but it's not okay for someone to wear a short dress to play a recital? People are so uptight............ I can understand if she sucked, but she's a good pianist, ffs... AND she's not a child, she's an adult.

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 08/09/11 10:38 PM.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission