Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1730432 - 08/10/11 10:37 PM OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows)
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
When a member's name doesn't show up on the "User List," does it mean the person was banned?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1730439 - 08/10/11 10:42 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Mark_C]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I'm pretty sure that's what I heard when the issue was brought up previously and I believe a moderator confirmed it.

#1730441 - 08/10/11 10:44 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Mark_C]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
When a member's name doesn't show up on the "User List," does it mean the person was banned?

Yes.

#1730443 - 08/10/11 10:46 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: BB Player]
Mark_C Offline

Thanks -- this came up on another thread about a member who disappeared....

#1730445 - 08/10/11 10:47 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Mark_C]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Can you request to get banned?
Franck - Violin Sonata

#1730450 - 08/10/11 10:50 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Kuanpiano]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano

Dunno, but.....baseball players know that there are certain "words" they can say in order to get kicked out of the game by the umpire, and I think we know what we could do to get banned. ha

#1730452 - 08/10/11 10:52 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Kuanpiano]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music

I think so. Justanotherpianist for example apparently requested to have his membership deleted.

Music is my best friend.

#1730453 - 08/10/11 10:55 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: ChopinAddict]
Mark_C Offline

Well, that would answer the whole question. That's the member that this was about. (i.e. JustAnotherPianist)

While he had his 'moments' with me, I never noticed anything from him that seemed 'bannable'....

#1730455 - 08/10/11 10:57 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: ChopinAddict]
Saul Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

I think so. Justapianist for example apparently requested to have his membership deleted.

I wonder what causes people to delete their accounts.

If you don't like the site, dont participate, if you want a break, take it, but why ban yourself entirely?

Want to cover up your footsteps? ok, but why?

#1730461 - 08/10/11 11:00 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Saul]
Mark_C Offline

Good question, but I can see someone doing it to eliminate any "temptation," like when someone avoids having cookies and ice cream in the house.....

#1730463 - 08/10/11 11:02 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Mark_C]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Another member requested to be removed from PW and not only was his name removed from the list but also his display name was completely scrambled and changed so it's impossible to find a trace of him. Like his posts still exist, just the account itself was altered so you can't search for this member anymore,
Franck - Violin Sonata

#1730635 - 08/11/11 02:03 AM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: BB Player]
Mark_C Offline

So....looks like maybe the actual answer is "yes but with exceptions"?

#1730787 - 08/11/11 08:01 AM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Mark_C]
Ken Knapp Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have had a few people ask to be banned/removed. Sometimes they are mad about something, but more often they want help in resisting the temptation to post.

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician
http://www.tonewheeltech.com
Vice President - MITA, International
http://www.mitatechs.org
http://www.facebook.com/MITATechs

#1730789 - 08/11/11 08:04 AM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Mark_C]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Well, that doesn't stop them from creating a new account if the temptation grows on them.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1730827 - 08/11/11 09:21 AM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Mark_C]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
i miss justanotherpianist

I must be a bit insane because the people i seem to like get banned or quit. I must be a hippie or something.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1730855 - 08/11/11 10:01 AM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Mark_C]
natty_dread78 Offline

I miss him too. Not only was (is) he a very fine pianist AND musician, but he also gave some of the best advice to other people on this forum. I benefited greatly from his advice.
I don't know anything about this, but I have the feeling that there was no particular problem, but he just wanted to spend less time on the forum to concentrate more on his career.
Having one's account removed can be a good way to achieve this. It's kinda more "official" that way.

#1730928 - 08/11/11 11:56 AM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: natty_dread78]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: natty_dread78
I miss him too. Not only was (is) he a very fine pianist AND musician, but he also gave some of the best advice to other people on this forum. I benefited greatly from his advice.
I don't know anything about this, but I have the feeling that there was no particular problem, but he just wanted to spend less time on the forum to concentrate more on his career.
Having one's account removed can be a good way to achieve this. It's kinda more "official" that way.

Me2...I'm friends with him on YouTube, though, so he gives me advice that way. I always enjoy his advice. Always.

#1730930 - 08/11/11 11:58 AM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Piano*Dad]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Well, that doesn't stop them from creating a new account if the temptation grows on them.

Still makes sense, because.....well, like not having cookies and ice cream in the house -- you can always go out and get some but it's easier to 'be good' if it's not right there.

....I have the feeling that there was no particular problem, but he just wanted to spend less time on the forum to concentrate more on his career....

Sounds exactly right.

#1731163 - 08/11/11 04:28 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Mark_C]
GosuCho Offline

....I have the feeling that there was no particular problem, but he just wanted to spend less time on the forum to concentrate more on his career....

Sounds exactly right.

Not exactly.

JAP left the forum for several specific reasons.

He realized that in many cases, the loudest members of the forum often had the least to offer to the place musically and pedagogically. He saw that in most cases, the members who are professional pianists, such as JBiegel, for instance, don't actually participate in the day-to-day discussions that go on here.

Those very discussions tend to become flamewars between people like Saul and Liszt_85. Or in the older days, KBK and Nyregehazi.

JAP learned a great deal about the REASONS why people post here. Many come here to learn. Others come here to defend what they already know. Many people just enjoy the community, the comradery. Some people just like to argue with other people.

He realized that whether or not real learning occurs or real progress is made depends much more on the student than on the teacher. Many students insist on being bad students their entire lives, making the same mistakes over, and over, and over again.

The bright students rarely, if ever, make the same mistake twice. And this is what causes their learning to become exponential. The bad students learn at a linear rate, because they can never progress beyond a certain level.

And then it struck JAP..... that the forums aren't nearly as condusive an environment to learning as he once thought they were.

So he left. Although he enjoyed helping people, he didn't enjoy having his methods and opinions challenged by those he considered to be lesser pianists. And of course, he realized that this is essentially the reason why PW is so dominated by amateurs. Professionals tend to steer clear of a place like this-they have better things to do than argue with amateurs on their own valuable time.... amateurs who they would be unlikely to even accept into their own piano studios-let alone argue with ad nauseum ad infinitum, pro bono.

And when they do participate, many of them, like stores or badorange, prefer to do so from the relative comfort of anonymity. There are exceptions, of course-those rare folks like NeilOS. But they are few and far between.

He thinks it's probably better this way. He certainly gets much more practicing done than before.

#1731177 - 08/11/11 04:57 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: GosuCho]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: GosuCho

Sounds exactly right.

Not exactly.

He realized that in many cases, the loudest members of the forum often had the least to offer to the place musically and pedagogically. He saw that in most cases, the members who are professional pianists, such as JBiegel, for instance, don't actually participate in the day-to-day discussions that go on here.

Those very discussions tend to become flamewars between people like Saul and Liszt_85. Or in the older days, KBK and Nyregehazi.

JAP learned a great deal about the REASONS why people post here. Many come here to learn. Others come here to defend what they already know. Many people just enjoy the community, the comradery. Some people just like to argue with other people.

He realized that whether or not real learning occurs or real progress is made depends much more on the student than on the teacher. Many students insist on being bad students their entire lives, making the same mistakes over, and over, and over again.

The bright students rarely, if ever, make the same mistake twice. And this is what causes their learning to become exponential. The bad students learn at a linear rate, because they can never progress beyond a certain level.

And then it struck JAP..... that the forums aren't nearly as condusive an environment to learning as he once thought they were.

So he left. Although he enjoyed helping people, he didn't enjoy having his methods and opinions challenged by those he considered to be lesser pianists. And of course, he realized that this is essentially the reason why PW is so dominated by amateurs. Professionals tend to steer clear of a place like this-they have better things to do than argue with amateurs on their own valuable time.... amateurs who they would be unlikely to even accept into their own piano studios-let alone argue with ad nauseum ad infinitum, pro bono.

And when they do participate, many of them, like stores or badorange, prefer to do so from the relative comfort of anonymity. There are exceptions, of course-those rare folks like NeilOS. But they are few and far between.

He thinks it's probably better this way. He certainly gets much more practicing done than before.

That's what he told me too on YouTube. I was hesitant to post that, though, without his permission.

However, I also find on PW a lot of excited young ones like myself, OSK, Pogo girl, Baris, etc... who really do enjoy music and getting advice and wanting to learn. True, I do find a lot of what JAP says to be right, though, and some threads/posters to actually scare me really bad (like the Yuja Wang thread and the now banned Saul) but I still enjoy all my friends on PW (who are too numerous to name).

#1731178 - 08/11/11 04:57 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Mark_C]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA

I suspect you know his motives well. smile

I will admit that I often feel the same way in my own bailiwick. Yet the lesser lights sometimes say things, and question things, in a way that makes me step back and reconsider. I realize at that moment that I haven't explained something well. I see where my thinking touches a raw nerve and generates a visceral response. I see where people truly are ignorant, and where I need to do some work if I want to connect with non-professionals. And I see the topics where rational argument quickly degenerates into preconceived notions. This can be very useful as I polish my own line of thinking.

But it only works in small doses. At some point continued badgering by people who don't know much, but who think they do, can get under the skin.

Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1731186 - 08/11/11 05:10 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: apple*]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: apple*
i miss justanotherpianist

I must be a bit insane because the people i seem to like get banned or quit. I must be a hippie or something.

ha Me too... I am glad I am not the only one. smile

Music is my best friend.

#1731206 - 08/11/11 05:35 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: GosuCho]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Who are you, again? I ask because I have not seen you around too often.. in all those very productive threads I take part in and contribute meaningfully to. So I find your comparison unfair and misinformed.

As for the "flamewar" between Saul and me.. it wasn't only me who took offense to what that guy said. Now it may be true that I baited him a little. I really thought this place was better with him gone after all that profanity and hatred he brought to this place. So there, I admit it. I took "his bait" on purpose.. for a very good reason. Some people here know. You would too, if you hung out here more often and took part in the more productive threads that do exist here.

If JAP thought PW was a waste of time because professional non-anonymous pianists do not take part in the discussions here, that's his choice. There are plenty of people here who come with a wealth of knowledge and experience. So what if stores prefers anonymity? I find your post quite flawed.. even if that's just your speculation about what made JAP leave.
Next in line:
Chopin: Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op.23
Debussy: Le vent dans la plaine (Prelude 3, Book 1)
Debussy: Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir (Prelude 4, Book 1)

#1731209 - 08/11/11 05:38 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: GosuCho]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

I think there is some self-interest in not arguing with people when you depend on ticket sales for a livelihood. A discouraging word is not heard from Koji or Brendan either. The problem with anonymity is that anyone can say they are a professional but I have no idea who stores or badorange is and don't value their advice any more than anyone else, in particular. For actual playing advice, JAP is probably correct in thinking this isn't the place to give or receive it. Sorry to see him go, though.

#1731211 - 08/11/11 05:39 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Mark_C]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh I just realized that GosuCho made a new account to make that one post. So who really is GosuCho and how does he know who JAP was or why JAP left PW, etc?
Next in line:
Debussy: Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir (Prelude 4, Book 1)

#1731216 - 08/11/11 05:53 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: liszt85]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: liszt85
Oh I just realized that GosuCho made a new account to make that one post. So who really is GosuCho and how does he know who JAP was or why JAP left PW, etc?

He could be JAP, for all you know. Better get on the trail, Sherlock.

#1731218 - 08/11/11 05:56 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Damon]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon

He could be JAP, for all you know. Better get on the trail, Sherlock.

I really believed JAP could spell better than "condusive". laugh I might be wrong! If so, welcome back JAP!
Next in line:

#1731219 - 08/11/11 05:58 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Damon]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Damon

He could be JAP, for all you know.

Certainly doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out !! grin

#1731231 - 08/11/11 06:16 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Well, he was not banned, so he is allowed to come back. smile

Music is my best friend.

#1731291 - 08/11/11 07:57 PM Re: OT: Question to moderator (or anyone else who knows) [Re: GosuCho]
Mark_C Offline

Huh, I wonder who that is.... ha

BTW, good to hear from you. Hope things are good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
10/22/14 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
10/21/14 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
10/21/14 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Who's Online
66 registered (angga888, alfredo capurso, 18 invisible), 1085 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158406 Topics
2326249 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission