2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock
I sometimes commit the worst crime in all music. And add extra notes and embellishments the second time round.... don't shoot me!!

If I could do that WELL, I would.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I sometimes commit the worst crime in all music. And add extra notes and embellishments the second time round.... don't shoot me!!

I do that sometimes when I play Scarlatti!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
By the way, my favorite repeat change is from Schiff's recording of the Goldberg Variations.

He takes all the repeats, generally without varying much. But in Variation 7 ("al tempo di Giga"), he plays the repeated sections one octave higher, and in Variation 18 ("Canone alla Sexta") he plays the repeated sections one octave lower.

The effect, in both places, is wonderful.

-Jason

Originally Posted by chobeethaninov

I do that sometimes when I play Scarlatti!

....and actually, believe it or not smile that's the main composer I was thinking of. I have the hugest admiration for people who are able to do it well.

At the Boston amateur competition, one of the semi-finalists did it even the first time around. ha
He did it 'well' (IMO) but I wasn't sure it made sense, and I felt sure the judges wouldn't be sure about that either.

They weren't. grin

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

When i do it, sometimes it comes out well, other times, not so much. Mozart tends to be the biggest victim, as there always seems to be space for it, especially in the slower movements.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by Kreisler

[quote=stores]What does the score tell you to do? That is all that matters.

Yep. There are several instances where composers write out varied repeats when they want something done differently. Take the Brahms Handel variations for example. The vast majority of the variations are written with repeats, but not the 8th or 19th. In the 8th, he wanted the top voice taken down an octave on the repeat, so he writes it out. In the 19th, the change is more subtle, he simply wanted a different voice emphasized and ornamented, so he writes it out.

True. I have also seen repeats with "p the second time" for example, or "f the second time".

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I'm pretty sure Beethoven stated to play precisely what he wrote. He underlined his attitude by effectively decommissioning the improvised cadenza for good with the "Emperor." His was the last word. Besides, my feeling is that if he uses a repeat, it's because he built the structure with that repeat in mind, and if you follow his directions, it will have the intended effect. He instructs you when he wants something different the second time with either a 2e volta (Op. 31/3 minuet), or a difference in the second ending.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by beet31425

Also, it seems to me that I never hear concert artists vary the repeat of a Beethoven sonata exposition.

That's been my experience as well (which is why I originally gave a simple answer to a very simple question), and it is consistent with the way I was taught to play sonatas by Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven.

This reminds me of something I once read in a review by one of Beethoven's contemporaries, of some of LvB's newly published sonatas (they were early Beethoven). The critic complained that Beethoven had written in too much ornamentation, which made it excessively difficult for performers to fit in any of their own! I thought that was very interesting for a couple of reasons - I hadn't realized that performers were still in the habit of adding ornamentation at that time, and because of the idea expressed that composers should not take away all opportunity for adding and changing notes.

Originally Posted by wr
....I thought that was very interesting for a couple of reasons - I hadn't realized that performers were still in the habit of adding ornamentation at that time, and because of the idea expressed that composers should not take away all opportunity for adding and changing notes.

Those of us with the general more flexible view of how to approach scores wouldn't be surprised by that at all. In fact, at least for me, knowing about that kind of thing has been one of the major bases for my more flexible view. I'm really surprised you weren't aware of it.

I wonder if knowing it might lead you to have a more flexible view as well....

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr
....I thought that was very interesting for a couple of reasons - I hadn't realized that performers were still in the habit of adding ornamentation at that time, and because of the idea expressed that composers should not take away all opportunity for adding and changing notes.

Those of us with the general more flexible view of how to approach scores wouldn't be surprised by that at all. In fact, at least for me, knowing about that kind of thing has been one of the major bases for my more flexible view. I'm really surprised you weren't aware of it.

I wonder if knowing it might lead you to have a more flexible view as well....

I knew that adding ornamentation was still standard operating procedure in the early stages of the Classical era, but somehow it never occurred to me that it would apply to Beethoven. And of course, it doesn't usually apply to Beethoven, since, as the critic said, he pretty much wrote it all in himself. At any rate, I read this some time ago, so it's not a recent discovery.

And, if my view was any more flexible than it already is, it wouldn't even exist (a kind of non-existence which may be a nice goal, but I'm not there yet). smile

Originally Posted by wr
....And, if my view was any more flexible than it already is, it wouldn't even exist (a kind of non-existence which may be a nice goal, but I'm not there yet). smile

I don't think I'd understand that if I studied it for the rest of my life. ha

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
In the Waldstein sonata, there's this beautiful inner voice in the 2nd subject when it comes back with triplets in the soprano (in the exposition). On the repeat, I bring it out, which works pretty well because the original theme has already sounded 3 times within 4 minutes.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I never repeat the exposition. Normally that's because I play sonatas for competitions, though...

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chobeethaninov
I never repeat the exposition. Normally that's because I play sonatas for competitions, though...

I always take repeats unless I am specifically told not to or if I do a competition, it messes with time restrictions. I just love taking repeats. It gets annoying to some whenever I play Schubert Op. 142 No. 2, but that's probably my problem more than Schubert's. wink

(inb4MarkC)

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Expositions are soooo long, though.......

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I love repeats too. When I run a piece through, I never cut them out. If it's beautiful music, who cares how long it is?? Richter can repeat the repeat in the D960 twice and I wouldn't care, it's just that magical.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I always take repeats unless I am specifically told not to or if I do a competition, it messes with time restrictions. I just love taking repeats. It gets annoying to some whenever I play Schubert Op. 142 No. 2, but that's probably my problem more than Schubert's. wink

(inb4MarkC)

ha

Nothing to add except that if it were up to me, I'd take every repeat in that piece 3 times. smile

i always do different interpretations.

even in simple music like church songs.. every verse is different and new... usually with more ornamentation each time..

this works (for me) for difficult works as well.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Online Content
When I play a repeat I always play things differently by simply trying to avoid the f***ups from the first time I played it through.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/14/11 10:50 AM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
When I play a repeat I always play things differently by simply trying to avoid the f***ups from the first time I played it through.

My thinking, too, more or less. If I didn't get it right the first time - which I usually didn't - maybe I'll be lucky enough to get it right the second time.

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission