Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1732003 - 08/12/11 11:20 PM Do you play the same when you repeat?
DaveInMichigan Offline

Loc: SE Michigan
When you repeat a section, are you supposed to play it the same way as before? Or are you allowed to make different interpretations each time?

If this question is too general, I am thinking about Beethoven sonatas, for example.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1732019 - 08/13/11 12:10 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: DaveInMichigan]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Beethoven Sonatas.......play the repeated section the same as before.

#1732023 - 08/13/11 12:14 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: carey]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: carey
Beethoven Sonatas.......play the repeated section the same as before.

You cannot be serious. smile

There's no such rule for any music, and I think if anything most advanced musicians would say that there are almost always at least slight differences. I agree that in Beethoven sonatas it's more likely that there would usually be a lot more similarity than difference, but it still wouldn't be "same" -- and it would depend on the kind of movement. Like, in "theme and variation" movements, we'd probably have a greater tendency to vary the repetitions.

#1732033 - 08/13/11 12:47 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: DaveInMichigan]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
I think that convention has it that whether it is Beethoven or any other composer, repeats are not played exactly the second time as the first. Yes, of course the notes are the same, but the dynamics and expression are different upon repetition, perhaps not vastly different, but with some variation of "musical inflection," for lack of a better term.

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#1732034 - 08/13/11 12:51 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Offline

.....or of intensity.
Or something.

Although not necessarily. smile
There's no rule.

Of course if we play it exactly the same, a lot of people will wonder why we're playing the repeat at all....

#1732053 - 08/13/11 02:13 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: DaveInMichigan]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
I've played things differently the second time through with short, AABB-structured pieces, like in Bach. But a Beethoven sonata exposition? That's always seemed to long, and too structured, to really change anything.

Also, it seems to me that I never hear concert artists vary the repeat of a Beethoven sonata exposition. Anyone have a counter-example?

-J

#1732056 - 08/13/11 02:39 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: beet31425]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: beet31425
I've played things differently the second time through with short, AABB-structured pieces, like in Bach. But a Beethoven sonata exposition? That's always seemed to long, and too structured, to really change anything.

Also, it seems to me that I never hear concert artists vary the repeat of a Beethoven sonata exposition. Anyone have a counter-example?

Seems like maybe some of us mean different things by "vary."
Are you talking maybe about changing notes?
(I'm not.)

Anyway I don't really understand the thing about "too long and too structured" in terms of varying the repeat. I can sort of understand it, but not really, especially if we're talking about slight or subtle changes.

#1732057 - 08/13/11 02:44 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: DaveInMichigan]
liszt85 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

When playing repeats in the Beethoven Sonata that I'm working on, I do play it slightly differently the second time (or I'd like to think I do!) because it just sounds right slightly different because a repeat is after all different from the first time because the first time, was the first time you heard it..:D the repeat is the second time you hear it. Imagine the music speaking to you stating that it fully knows that its a repeat and therefore emphasizes that with some musical nuances.

I wouldn't be able to play it exactly the way I played it at the start even if I tried hard, I'd think..
Next in line:
Chopin: Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op.23
Debussy: Le vent dans la plaine (Prelude 3, Book 1)
Debussy: Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir (Prelude 4, Book 1)

#1732060 - 08/13/11 02:59 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: Mark_C]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

Seems like maybe some of us mean different things by "vary."
Are you talking maybe about changing notes?
(I'm not.)

Anyway I don't really understand the thing about "too long and too structured" in terms of varying the repeat. I can sort of understand it, but not really, especially if we're talking about slight or subtle changes.

I wasn't talking about changing notes, or embellishing with ornaments. Just "interpretation". Most recordings of Beethoven expositions don't seem to change even that.

As for "too long and too structured", I only partly understand it myself. smile All I know is that in the short Schumann pieces I'm working on now, it often feels natural to play a repeated section slightly differently, usually a little more dramatically (for the fiery pieces), or a little more slowly and intensely (for the dreamy pieces). These are, generally, short sections that are repeated, say 30 seconds or so.

But I never feel the same urge in a Beethoven exposition. It's hard to say why not, but if I try to put it into words, I get: it feels too structured; it feels like it's trying to tell a story, and it's the same story each time.

-J

#1732064 - 08/13/11 03:41 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: DaveInMichigan]
TSC Offline

I think it's essential. It's said that music is repetition, and while that is simplistic, there's truth in that. Repetition is what gives music structure, and _how_ you do each repetition is what in many cases makes or breaks an interpretation. I try to construct (or recognize, where obvious enough) an overall arc for every piece I play, which inevitably involves change/transformation over the course of the piece, so that hopefully every repetition is both distinct and part of a recognizable arc or musical story.

Of course, there can be structures where the theme is transformed again and again and does repeat, at the very end, exactly as in the beginning. But I think that's the exception that proves the point -- in that case, that very constancy is what draws the listener's attention (another famous exception is Ravel's Bolero, which is pretty much built on constancy -- it's exactly the constancy of phrasing that most defines its character).

#1732067 - 08/13/11 03:51 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: DaveInMichigan]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
What does the score tell you to do? That is all that matters.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1732076 - 08/13/11 04:51 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: DaveInMichigan]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Opinions among pianists vary - some say you should, some say not. I think Hofmann(?) was famous for playing repeats with completely different interpretations than the first time around.

But even if you play a repeated section exactly the same the second time through, the listener will not experience it the same way, because it will be messing around with their short-term memory of what you did the first time (as well as messing around with your own memory of what you just did). It's like some kind of induced pseudo deja vu.

Or you could think of playing through a repeat as a way in which music seems to accomplish an impossible thing, something many people dream of, which is reliving something in the past and doing something about it. How many times do people think "if only I could do that over again, I'd change this or that"? Well, with music, you sort of can.

#1732079 - 08/13/11 05:08 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: DaveInMichigan]
sandalholme Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
Varying the notes in Beethoven, when he took such pains to write and re-write? I think not. Varying the way of playing them? At one level, the repeat will always be different, whether we intend it or not, technically, at the micro second level, it is physically impossible to play absolutely exactly the same, even if we needed electronic equipment to detect the differences. I would argue that we instinctively change the interpretation because of what we have just played: the question is whether we should do this consciously. That's our choice. As for recordings: how many repeats are just copied from a good take of the first time around? I have a very respected set (Colin Davis) of Haydn symphonies. In the repeat of the first part of a first movement I wince every time I hear the extraneous noise (soft, but audible) at the same place. The recording engineers and producer should have spotted it, of course, but they didn't, or thought the listener wouldn't detect it.
The listener will respond differently to the repeat, especially on first hearing the work. Should the artist point the way? My own approach is to allow my natural responses to what I have played already to inform my playing of a repeat.

#1732145 - 08/13/11 09:37 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: DaveInMichigan]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

When I learnt the Schumann Papillons op2, my teacher and I worked very hard on varying the repeats to keep it interesting and more expressive.
Here's my recording of the 1st half for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeFPMH3feO0&
In general, I don't play the repeats the same way. It's kind of boring...

#1732159 - 08/13/11 10:13 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: wr]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: wr
But even if you play a repeated section exactly the same the second time through, the listener will not experience it the same way, because it will be messing around with their short-term memory of what you did the first time (as well as messing around with your own memory of what you just did). It's like some kind of induced pseudo deja vu.

Yes!

Originally Posted By: stores

Yep. There are several instances where composers write out varied repeats when they want something done differently. Take the Brahms Handel variations for example. The vast majority of the variations are written with repeats, but not the 8th or 19th. In the 8th, he wanted the top voice taken down an octave on the repeat, so he writes it out. In the 19th, the change is more subtle, he simply wanted a different voice emphasized and ornamented, so he writes it out.

Where this is a bit different is in Bach. Bach probably would've done things different on the repeats. However, he wouldn't have done things differently *because* of a repeat. He would've done things differently because improvisation was part of the style (in some things, not fugues!) Obviously, if you allow for some improvisation, then repeats are going to be different, but not because of some silly arbitrary rule that says "repeat = more ornaments" (which is how an awful lot of people treat his music.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1732164 - 08/13/11 10:19 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: Kreisler]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: Kreisler

Yep. There are several instances where composers write out varied repeats when they want something done differently. Take the Brahms Handel variations for example. The vast majority of the variations are written with repeats, but not the 8th or 19th. In the 8th, he wanted the top voice taken down an octave on the repeat, so he writes it out. In the 19th, the change is more subtle, he simply wanted a different voice emphasized and ornamented, so he writes it out.

Where this is a bit different is in Bach. Bach probably would've done things different on the repeats. However, he wouldn't have done things differently *because* of a repeat. He would've done things differently because improvisation was part of the style (in some things, not fugues!) Obviously, if you allow for some improvisation, then repeats are going to be different, but not because of some silly arbitrary rule that says "repeat = more ornaments" (which is how an awful lot of people treat his music.)

+1

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1732195 - 08/13/11 11:38 AM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: DaveInMichigan]
TSC Offline

I think there's a big difference between saying "play the same notes in the repeat" and "play the repeat the same". Of course, if the score shows the same notes (or just indicates a repeat), you should (generally) play the same notes the second time around. That doesn't mean your interpretation should stay the same.

Edited by TSC (08/13/11 11:40 AM)

#1732214 - 08/13/11 12:04 PM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: TSC]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: TSC
....That doesn't mean your interpretation should stay the same.

Exactly -- and it's still seeming to me that some of the replies are mixing the two, possibly confusing what the OP meant.

Unless I am. smile

#1732215 - 08/13/11 12:05 PM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: beet31425]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Also, it seems to me that I never hear concert artists vary the repeat of a Beethoven sonata exposition.

That's been my experience as well (which is why I originally gave a simple answer to a very simple question), and it is consistent with the way I was taught to play sonatas by Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven.

Of course, I recognize that it is almost impossible to play anything the "same way" upon repetition. My most recent home recording attempts certainly demonstrated that !! grin

#1732294 - 08/13/11 02:19 PM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: DaveInMichigan]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I sometimes commit the worst crime in all music. And add extra notes and embellishments the second time round.... don't shoot me!!

#1732300 - 08/13/11 02:24 PM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: TheHappyMoron]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: TheCannibalHaddock
I sometimes commit the worst crime in all music. And add extra notes and embellishments the second time round.... don't shoot me!!

If I could do that WELL, I would.

#1732304 - 08/13/11 02:29 PM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: Mark_C]
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I do that sometimes when I play Scarlatti!

#1732322 - 08/13/11 03:03 PM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: DaveInMichigan]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

By the way, my favorite repeat change is from Schiff's recording of the Goldberg Variations.

He takes all the repeats, generally without varying much. But in Variation 7 ("al tempo di Giga"), he plays the repeated sections one octave higher, and in Variation 18 ("Canone alla Sexta") he plays the repeated sections one octave lower.

The effect, in both places, is wonderful.

-Jason

#1732323 - 08/13/11 03:07 PM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: PaulaPiano34]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: chobeethaninov

I do that sometimes when I play Scarlatti!

....and actually, believe it or not smile that's the main composer I was thinking of. I have the hugest admiration for people who are able to do it well.

At the Boston amateur competition, one of the semi-finalists did it even the first time around. ha
He did it 'well' (IMO) but I wasn't sure it made sense, and I felt sure the judges wouldn't be sure about that either.

They weren't. grin

#1732413 - 08/13/11 05:44 PM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: Mark_C]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK

When i do it, sometimes it comes out well, other times, not so much. Mozart tends to be the biggest victim, as there always seems to be space for it, especially in the slower movements.

#1732431 - 08/13/11 06:01 PM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: stores]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: Kreisler

[quote=stores]What does the score tell you to do? That is all that matters.

True. I have also seen repeats with "p the second time" for example, or "f the second time".

Music is my best friend.

#1732510 - 08/13/11 08:01 PM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: DaveInMichigan]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I'm pretty sure Beethoven stated to play precisely what he wrote. He underlined his attitude by effectively decommissioning the improvised cadenza for good with the "Emperor." His was the last word. Besides, my feeling is that if he uses a repeat, it's because he built the structure with that repeat in mind, and if you follow his directions, it will have the intended effect. He instructs you when he wants something different the second time with either a 2e volta (Op. 31/3 minuet), or a difference in the second ending.

#1732512 - 08/13/11 08:03 PM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: carey]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey

Also, it seems to me that I never hear concert artists vary the repeat of a Beethoven sonata exposition.

That's been my experience as well (which is why I originally gave a simple answer to a very simple question), and it is consistent with the way I was taught to play sonatas by Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven.

This reminds me of something I once read in a review by one of Beethoven's contemporaries, of some of LvB's newly published sonatas (they were early Beethoven). The critic complained that Beethoven had written in too much ornamentation, which made it excessively difficult for performers to fit in any of their own! I thought that was very interesting for a couple of reasons - I hadn't realized that performers were still in the habit of adding ornamentation at that time, and because of the idea expressed that composers should not take away all opportunity for adding and changing notes.

#1732552 - 08/13/11 10:02 PM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: wr]
Mark_C Offline

....I thought that was very interesting for a couple of reasons - I hadn't realized that performers were still in the habit of adding ornamentation at that time, and because of the idea expressed that composers should not take away all opportunity for adding and changing notes.

Those of us with the general more flexible view of how to approach scores wouldn't be surprised by that at all. In fact, at least for me, knowing about that kind of thing has been one of the major bases for my more flexible view. I'm really surprised you weren't aware of it.

I wonder if knowing it might lead you to have a more flexible view as well....

#1732562 - 08/13/11 10:26 PM Re: Do you play the same when you repeat? [Re: Mark_C]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

....I thought that was very interesting for a couple of reasons - I hadn't realized that performers were still in the habit of adding ornamentation at that time, and because of the idea expressed that composers should not take away all opportunity for adding and changing notes.

Those of us with the general more flexible view of how to approach scores wouldn't be surprised by that at all. In fact, at least for me, knowing about that kind of thing has been one of the major bases for my more flexible view. I'm really surprised you weren't aware of it.

I wonder if knowing it might lead you to have a more flexible view as well....

I knew that adding ornamentation was still standard operating procedure in the early stages of the Classical era, but somehow it never occurred to me that it would apply to Beethoven. And of course, it doesn't usually apply to Beethoven, since, as the critic said, he pretty much wrote it all in himself. At any rate, I read this some time ago, so it's not a recent discovery.

And, if my view was any more flexible than it already is, it wouldn't even exist (a kind of non-existence which may be a nice goal, but I'm not there yet). smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, Adam Coleman, 36251, A Guy, 44 invisible), 1671 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153579 Topics
2250828 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This day, last year...
by TwoSnowflakes
1 minute 37 seconds ago
the government and tuning.
by kc_lee
45 minutes 24 seconds ago
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
Today at 11:55 AM
Bsendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
Today at 09:42 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission