Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1732903 - 08/14/11 05:02 PM Re: Nord Piano keyboard vs. Nord Stage 2 keyboard. [Re: PianoZac]
north Offline

Originally Posted By: ZacharyForbes
But I've found through my own ears, and through countless compliments from FOH engineers, and engineers in the studio recording the NP88, that it's an amazing sounding keyboard. Nord's acoustic pianos and electric pianos combined with the string/sympathetic resonance and pedal modeling are the best sounding of any keyboard I've had both live and in the studio.

Zachary, I would like to ask you:
You have the Nord piano and you did try out the Stage 2.

Per Baekgaard described the difference in sound of the Nord Piano and the Stage 2 this way:

"The Nord pianos are very good and varied. Nevertheless, they suffer a bit from the stretched sample set (also the XL ones), and some of them have a slightly "boxy" sound. The boards without the long release have a slightly "harpsichordy" sound to them as well -- that was one of the key points for me not getting the NP88, which lacks the long release."

what do you think of the effect of the "long release" on the Stage 2, which you do not have on the Nord Piano?

Best regards

Reason for edit:
One more question:
I have been thinking of this question for some time, but forgot to ask, here it goes:
In the Nord piano and Stage 2 specs it says: "40-60 Voices Polyphony"
That is not much compared to most other DP's, and yet I don't see any complaints about 'note stealing', can you explain that ?

Edited by north (08/14/11 05:17 PM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1733292 - 08/15/11 03:48 AM Re: Nord Piano keyboard vs. Nord Stage 2 keyboard. [Re: north]
Aidan Offline

Loc: UK
Just to hit a rare point of disagreement with you Zach, but having owned one I should add that I would only find the CP5 OK for live work if I was going out in stereo. It has no mono piano sounds and in my experience, there's no way to get a decent sound out of it running just one channel.

This is another important score for the Nord, which has a dedicated "mono output" switch and sounds excellent with just one lead coming out of it.

As for the polyphony thing, I worried and wondered about that too before I bought the Nord. But I've never noticed any note stealing.

The other thing which has been brought home to me several times on recent gigs is how important it is to carefully and subtly employ the Nord's EQ, particularly the sweepable mid. For example, only recently I've learned to back off the mids slightly in the Bosie sample to make the sound a little more even and less "doinky" in the octave above middle C.

#1733294 - 08/15/11 04:05 AM Re: Nord Piano keyboard vs. Nord Stage 2 keyboard. [Re: north]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
aidan, the Electro 3 has a Mono button also. Do you know if it's still necessary to enable this when connecting just the left/mono output?

Ah, and Is the same true when playing EPs and organs?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1733404 - 08/15/11 10:16 AM Re: Nord Piano keyboard vs. Nord Stage 2 keyboard. [Re: Aidan]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: north

what do you think of the effect of the "long release" on the Stage 2, which you do not have on the Nord Piano?

Best regards

Reason for edit:
One more question:
I have been thinking of this question for some time, but forgot to ask, here it goes:
In the Nord piano and Stage 2 specs it says: "40-60 Voices Polyphony"
That is not much compared to most other DP's, and yet I don't see any complaints about 'note stealing', can you explain that ?

Of all the two times I've played the Stage 2, I didn't notice a major discernible difference in the sound. I think the only time when the LR feature is of added benefit would be solo piano recordings, or maybe an intimate solo piano type performance.

Polyphony isn't a problem at all with the NP88. I think Nord probably calculates their polyphony by the stereo voices, so it's cut down by half. So instead of 80-120 voices, the NP88 has 40-60. That's a guess, but I've had no note stealing on the NP88.

Originally Posted By: Aidan
Just to hit a rare point of disagreement with you Zach, but having owned one I should add that I would only find the CP5 OK for live work if I was going out in stereo. It has no mono piano sounds and in my experience, there's no way to get a decent sound out of it running just one channel.

This is another important score for the Nord, which has a dedicated "mono output" switch and sounds excellent with just one lead coming out of it.

As for the polyphony thing, I worried and wondered about that too before I bought the Nord. But I've never noticed any note stealing.

The other thing which has been brought home to me several times on recent gigs is how important it is to carefully and subtly employ the Nord's EQ, particularly the sweepable mid. For example, only recently I've learned to back off the mids slightly in the Bosie sample to make the sound a little more even and less "doinky" in the octave above middle C.

I agree that the Nord to my ears works better live than the CP5, but it didn't for Dave Ferris. The mono feature is a nice feature to have, but I most always go out stereo anyway so don't use it much. I was speaking strictly from experience using the Roland RD-700GX/GXF live and didn't find the sounds to cut through well at all. The nice details in the SN voices were gone through a PA, and it sounded really processed when I tried to record it. I was disappointed with the SN sound outside of headphones or through studio monitors.

"Life is a lot like jazz...it's best when you improvise."

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (ando, Adam Coleman, accordeur, 56 invisible), 1576 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153613 Topics
2251367 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
Home speakers for RD700NX: need help!
by PoleStar
04/20/14 05:32 PM
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
How did YOU get started on software pianos?
by doremi
04/20/14 03:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission