2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 140 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 139 140
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by time flies
I'm going to try a monotone scat to at least pick up the rhythm and phrasing as TLT suggested.

Hey Time
You are hilarious. So you'll be kinda like a drummer soloing ?

That's so kool that you will be doing the singing. This is one of the most fun of the exercises especially when you get up to Bird.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by knotty

What do you think of this progression ?
B min 7: F# G B D (5 6 R b3) for 1 measure
E7: F Ab B D (the dim chord b9 3 5 b7) for 1 measure
A min 6: F# A C E (6 R b3 5) for 2 measures

The B is a -7b5. The 5 is flat, so you gotta have an F natural in there.

>>When you gave me arps I could practise for each measure, do you want me to take a more local approach ?
>>Because I remember that you said you think more globally when you improvise, like the whole progression >>is A min ?
There's a time for practicing stuff mechanically, and a time for letting go. Exercises is where you can get mechanical with chords and arps.
When you solo, hopefully, you've absorbed a fair amount of sounds, and you will naturally let them come out.

++

Hi Knots
Thanks for your great answer.
What is the theory behind the ii needing a b5 ?

Because when I looked through Dave's progression in Lesson 19 Exercise 3
Gmin6 C7 Fm6
Dave's G min 6 is A Bb D (2 b3 5).

Cheers
cus

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by custard apple

Hi Knots
Thanks for your great answer.
What is the theory behind the ii needing a b5 ?

Hi custard,

The way I see it, I imagine the ii of the minor key is the vii of the relative key - so it's going to be a diminished triad. So, if it was ii of A minor, then that would be vii of C major (B, D, F). Hence flattened 5th.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Mmm, thanks 10, that's a nice way to think about it. Your example illustrates it well.
But I'm still intrigued as to why ii of a min key =vii of the relative major.

T
T
Cus, think about the key signatures. In A minor there are no sharps or flats. Building a II chord in 3rds we get B-D-F-A (where F is the flat 5). The relative major of A minor is C. That same chord, B-D-F-A is VII in C.

In C minor there are 3 flats: Bb, Eb and Ab. Building a II chord in C minor we get D-F-Ab-C (where Ab is the flat 5). We flat the A because of the key sig. That chord, D-F-Ab-C is also VII in C's relative major Eb.

When doing dominants (the V chord) think harmonic minor scale where the 7th degree of the scale is raised; that's how you get G-B(natural)-D-F. The harmonic minor in C: C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-B natural(the 7th in the scale)

I hope I haven't made things more confusing.
tf

Last edited by time flies; 03/07/11 10:08 PM.
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by time flies
Building a II chord in 3rds we get B-D-F-A (where F is the flat 5).

tf

Thank you Time. You've made it a whole lot clearer for me.
Yeah, thinking of the min in terms of building 3rds on the 2nd degree, I get the DFAB that you and Knotty suggested. I will use this voicing since I understand it.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cus,

I looked at lesson 19.
The g-6 is the 1 of the progression before, not the 2 of the 1 after.
It's A-7b5 D7b9 to G-6
Then we have C7 to F-6

The b5 of the ii matches the b9 of the 5. It matches the scale that it's based on also.

The -6 usually indicates a 1 in a minor key, the same way the M7 indicates a 1 in a major key. Usually.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Many thanks Knotty for looking up Lesson 19 and explaining this so clearly.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

But I'm still intrigued as to why ii of a min key =vii of the relative major.

Hi custard, Forgive me for stating the obvious, but I just want to be sure that you're OK with relative majors and minors. The clue is in the key signature, as tf says. But let me make it more basic.

If you play the white notes of the piano from C to the next C you get the C major scale. If you start on the 6th note (A) and play from A to A you get the A natural minor scale (if we can for a moments, forget about sharpened 7ths and the like).

So C major and A minor are relatives. If I'm in A minor and I' playing chord i (A minor) then I could equally well see myself as being in C major and playing chord vi. And quite a few tunes do haver between the relative major and minor, to the point you stop caring which you are actually in.

I tend to think in majors more easily (simpler, and I learned them first), so I often view the minor key as being in it's relative major. I try not to think of them as separate keys.

Maybe not everyone thinks like this. But for me, C minor isn't really its own thing - its just a different shade of Eb major. So the switch from C major to C minor is really a switch from C major to Eb major.

I do hope this makes sense.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks for your help Ten. I hadn't ever tried to learn majors-relative minors.
So you are thinking of them a bit like modes, that's interesting, and would make the learning easier I think.

For the purposes of the A minor ii V I sequence, then you would think of the B min 7 F A B D as 4 6 7 9 of C major. The 4 seems weird to me.

To me I think of the F A B D as b5 b7 R b3 of B min.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Now it's my turn: shouldn't you be in bed? smile

Thanks for your help Ten. I hadn't ever tried to learn majors-relative minors.
So you are thinking of them a bit like modes, that's interesting, and would make the learning easier I think.

For the purposes of the A minor ii V I sequence, then you would think of the B min 7 F A B D as 4 6 7 9 of C major. The 4 seems weird to me.

To me I think of the F A B D as b5 b7 R b3 of B min.

Scales, relative majors and minors are essential knowledge. I think you will get confused delving too much into minors without being sure how they relate to majors. Personally I do this by playing scales. As a kid I did major and harmonic minor, now I do natural minor too as it helps build the theory into my fingers.

Yes, these are basically ionian and aeolian modes, but I don't like using terms that are more complex than they need to be. wink

Night night.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi 10
Thanks, that was my last post for the night !
Even though this concept is relatively smile new to me, I am becoming cool with it.
So for the A min, I can kinda think of it like C maj 7 #5.

And I've found that doing arrangements of standards has really helped. As you say, it's sometimes hard to tell whether a song is major or minor as they are so related. After doing Never Let Me Go, I will never forget that G min is the relative of Bb major.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Custard - Glad that was helpful. Just another little key to help unlock theory and make it make sense. If you know the scales, then being aware of their relations will only help.

I've done a recording of The Last Time:
http://www.box.net/shared/ghcmbo6b8y
You will hear metronome (I set it fairly slow), myself on solo kazoo and my son on rhythm zakoo. There is an expletive at the end, as he realises I've been recording. All comments appreciated, and I'll let him see them. I think he finds the whole thing quite fun!

I do just try to chip away at the material. Today I was making awful heavy weather of the hanon (lesson 2). The I tried doing it with my eyes closed, and found it much easier. It was like I had to really focus on the pattern to get my fingers there - and the input from my eyes was just confusing me. So I'm visualising the pattern, but not seeing it.

Since then I've tried a few drills and patterns with eyes closed - and I'm quite amazed what I can do, just relying on feel. I'm not trying hard. I also feel that closing my eyes makes my ears work harder.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Encore ! I am still smiling, this is fantastic, I love your phrasing and your duo sounds like a zoo. Sounds like you are having so much fun with the singing.
Congrats !

Yes with the Hanons I also find them easier with my eyes closed, as you say, it makes your ears work harder.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
good stuff Tlt!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks, I just showed him the comments. Anything to keep him on side!

T
T
I've done a recording of The Last Time
That swings!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Tlt,

you might be surprised how much of this stuff you guys will be internalizing while singing those lines. I'd still do 1 or 2 Louis if you got the energy for it. Louis's nice because it really swings, but the lines are easier than later musicians.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I'm hoping some of this will rub off on him. At his age, he absorbs ideas so easily. I don't know if it's a coincidence that he's had a spree of song-writing while I'm studying jazz. That was two songs in the space of a week - admittedly he didn't finish the second song. But his musical ideas are real, and there are genuinely his. It's really humbling to watch him.

As for me, I've been spending more time with my eyes closed at the piano.

It's a strange thing, that I think the point of JOI is not to actually play piano (at least not yet, not for me). The work that's going on is mostly aural. Singing this, singing that. The piano is quite incidental, so far. Except maybe for the hanons, and they don't really count. smile

If I could I would do it on guitar too, but my knowledge just isn't up to it.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
How's everyone doing? Jazzin?

I made some recordings from lesson 2:

lullabye in blue:

http://www.box.net/shared/uztpuyjmvc

and joy of C:

http://www.box.net/shared/qolzesuahr

It struck me how very strange it is to be practising something, but without actually trying to get it to sound as good, or as musical, as possible. For it to sound good, I would need to not sing. Me opening my mouth makes it not sound so good. But that is the exercise.

Some of this stuff is not easy to sing. I don't know what kind of range Dave thinks is normal, but I certainly don't have it! smile But in listening to myself I realise, even when I go quite badly off key, I correct myself.

I also did some recordings of ii-V-I + arps + metronome, but they are pretty rough. I will post tomorrow if I'm brave enough. If I don't post, you'll know I chickened out.

Page 22 of 140 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 139 140

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission