2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 68 of 140 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 139 140
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by knotty
>>
>> For drop 3 voicings, do you mean taking the 3rd note from the top (RH) and make it the octave in the LH ?
Yes, so the above would be
G E A C

Hi Knotty
So then do I play the E octave with the LH ?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Norman Cotterell
Wow 10, you make it sound so easy, so effortless, so intuitive, so fluent. And I know from personal experience it's not so easy, effortless, or intuitive. So, I wait in eager anticipation to hear more from your head, heart and solo.

thankyou for saying! smile not intuitive at all.

Here's my contribution, I finally made it through Leaf Line at 66 bpm without any major flubs. Pushing the record button pushes the pressure and I'm apt to find what I know and what I don't. It's a diagnostic tool, if anything.

Leaf Line

way to go norm! thumb very controlled. i think you will find the others wont take as long. now that you know how to approach it.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by custard apple
Hi 10
Well done with Moose especially with those ascending arps. Bet you can't wait to move on wink So are you enjoying Bird any more now ?
"Now's the Time" is easier than "Perhaps".

enjoying moose more. i sing i understand. smile jurys out on bird. RH sore so may dedicate more time to solos. hanons at 130 is clearly too much for me. delicate nerves dammit.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> http://www.box.net/shared/2vogf74kvfijzu3dh6dd
Moose is hard!!
I'd say you can stick with this one for a little longer.
One thing I find really help me find the pitches and nuances is to simply play along. To play the entire solo is very time consuming, to play at tempo is extremely time consuming (if not evil), but to simply play 1 or 2 measure at a time is just a couple of hours worth of work. And I think it's worth it.

>>One question, though. The chords are Gm6 Am7 D7b9 Gm6 - so I imagine I'm in G minor and it's a ii-V-i. So, for the ii, I would expect the b5. Is this just one of those random things, or is there something here about theory that I'm missing?
I agree with you. I'd have to go back to the book and check, but that is un-expected.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Very nice Norm. You've been working hard. You've brought out the nice melody and cool voicings.
You're more than ready for Lesson 2.

+1

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>>Yeah, the maj 7 sounds good with the root in it. I will do E F A C on the first and the last maj 7.
Even without the root.
E G A C is a nice voicing.
A C E G, same thing, higher

True. So I've now changed my voicings again. Now each of my F maj 7 voicings are different.

http://www.box.net/shared/9gkaeim2bkz2v9k2bgoq

F maj 7 E G A C
F7 Eb G A D
Bb maj 7 F A Bb D
Bb min 6 F G Bb Db
F maj 7 D G A C
F maj 7 E F A C

If you can keep it up, that's great. I love throwing in a new voicing when I do a repetitive exercise. It's like learning it for free.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Please take a bow Knotty ! This is so beautiful. I really like your voicings especially your drop 2s and your dims. I think my favourite part is m24 in E maj 7: your 1st chord is so extended with the 3 emphasised/repeated and the addition of the nice 9 (is this a Bill Evans thing or a Knotty thing ?) followed by the G sus. I've taken a print out and I'm going to study what you've done.
I think you already play it well - is it your intention to keep the LH straight and do the RH more out of tempo ?

I didn't know Yesterdays until Dave's masterclass on Oscar Peterson. If you record this one too, I'd love to listen to it.

Thanks Cus, I'm glad you liked it.
The Emaj7 on m24 is really pretty plain. Just a 9 in it. I did like the way it sounded there.
I do like the big sus chord that follows. Sus chords have this very open sound. Plus it is pretty wide on the piano so it sounds big. I like that.
The last chord measure 23 is pretty wacked. It's a D7 over a B7. I use this throughout the arrangement.
I don't know if the interpretation is up there yet. It would probably take longer than I'm willing to spend.

Yesterdays is a beautiful tune. A great old standard that stays very modern sounding. I'm working on basslines for it also, I think the arrangement will be much easier than April in Paris, which is a very tricky tune.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>>
>> For drop 3 voicings, do you mean taking the 3rd note from the top (RH) and make it the octave in the LH ?
Yes, so the above would be
G E A C

Hi Knotty
So then do I play the E octave with the LH ?

you can simply play those 4 notes.

T
T
Lot's of good listening. Very nice arrangements Knotty and Ten. And Norman, you're really going to town - you're swingin, thumb

I just started lesson eight and here are two compositions, lesson two (Another Leafy Tune) and lesson three (Don't Hold Your Breath). I did most of the second composition after I did the first (Pile of Leaves). I just finished it up a few days ago. The third composition I did in the last couple of days. This is after I've been doing solo pattern transpositions where I'm learning lots. I'm pretty happy with #3 (Don't hold...). I tried to incorporate some phrasing from solo pattern 3. In solo pattern #4 I'm learning what to play over alt chords and I'm using some of that also. And I tried to include both short and long phrases.
Another Leafy Tune (lesson two)
Don't Hold Your Breath (lesson three)
So, these two are before and after Solo Pattern work.

Last edited by time flies; 08/22/11 05:18 PM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
great flow, time! sounds great. i especially liked the lh in leafy tune where the repeated chords come fast and furious. cheeky end to dont hold. smile also, a cool title!

sounds trite i know, but i suppose the point is that the melodic lines you can make over the changes are infinite.

beginning to feel that doing this as a group may even beat private lessons as we learn so much from each other.

N
N
Time, I loved the light and playful virtuosity of your Leafy Tune. And your Breath was cool and reserved until the end, when I was left waiting to exhale. Bravo to both!

Everyone, thanks for your kind comments. So far, I seem to be so far from where I'd like to be in 525,600 minutes. Then again, it's the journey, not the destination. And currently, I'm journeying through a blue lullabye to a joyful sea.

See you on the other side.

Every disease is a musical problem. Its cure, a musical solution. -- Novalis
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Very nice TF!
Those 2 were perfect. I like the long lines in "don't hold your breath". Very nicely played, too. I wouldn't change a thing!

T
T
Thanks everyone. I've also been spending some time on utoob watching some voice lesson videos, trying to learn how to breathe properly and how to expand my range. I'm also tempted to ask Norman if he gives language lessons. smile
I'm journeying through a blue lullabye to a joyful sea.
That's awesome.

N
N
Thanks Time, I'm working to breathe, expand, and hit notes as well.

This is neither a lesson or, technically speaking, language. In fact, I had to wait until my wife went for her morning constitutional before I muttered the following into my computer, lest she think I was a bit... touched.

So, here goes nuttin', I'm about to go...

Struttin'

Every disease is a musical problem. Its cure, a musical solution. -- Novalis
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Very nice TF!
Those 2 were perfect. I like the long lines in "don't hold your breath". Very nicely played, too. I wouldn't change a thing!

Ditto !

Time
Did you feel that doing the long line in the Solo Pattern helped you in composing the long lines ?
Composing seems to come naturally/quickly to you.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks Time, I'm working to breath, expand, and hit notes as well.

This is neither a lesson or, technically speaking, language. In fact, I had to wait until my wife went for her morning constitutional before I muttered the following into my computer, lest she think I was a bit... touched.

Struttin'

Wow Norm ! If your morning starts off like this, how is your night going to end. This is AWESOME and you will get so many downloads on Boxnet that I expect Boxnet to slow down during the day.
Can't wait to hear your next song.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

Thanks Cus, I'm glad you liked it.
The Emaj7 on m24 is really pretty plain. Just a 9 in it. I did like the way it sounded there.
I do like the big sus chord that follows. Sus chords have this very open sound. Plus it is pretty wide on the piano so it sounds big. I like that.

Yeah Knotty that was a really great place you chose to put your big sus chord. I hadn't thought of using the sus in my arrangements. I've been careful to include the 3 so as to characterise the chord.
But after listening to and looking at your arrangement, I'm going to be using sus chords. Do you find sus chords work best in the 2nd part of a measure which is in dominant ?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cus,

A simple way to use sus chords is to replace the 2 of a 2-5 by a 5sus.
Or transform any 5 by a 5sus.
Optionally, you can resolve the 5sus to the 5.

The sus chords don't always work because of the melody though.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks Time, I'm working to breathe, expand, and hit notes as well.

Struttin'

... and the gold medal goes to .... Norm!!! laugh

(i moved onto learning perhaps, may come back to moose later. much prefer this. the drummer sounds more like a drummer and less like a drug-crazed fan banging on the door to get in...)

T
T
Norman: Goodness Gracious! Take that to an open mic night. It is fantastic.

Cus:
Did you feel that doing the long line in the Solo Pattern helped you in composing the long lines ?
Oh yes.

Page 68 of 140 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 139 140

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission