Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1734998 - 08/17/11 10:48 AM Synthogy Ivory
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I finally made the move to Ivory. You might recall that I tried it last year ... but that was running on my work computer. I could not keep Ivory there for long, so that effort was just a try-and-see.

Now I have a laptop dedicated to the purpose. I'm really pleased with it. (It's version 1.5 ... I don't feel like spending a fortune on the new v2.)

I have a Clavinova CLP240, but the sound of Ivory just blows away the native sounds. The difference is breathtaking.

I was able to tweak/calibrate the velocity curve and I got even more benefit. I'm seeing a HUGE improvement in the responsiveness and expressiveness. Why does Yamaha not do this inside the piano?

Ivory's 40 GB installation offers a bunch of piano sounds, each with pre-defined variations ... plus the many tweaks on the control panels. I've not yet tried them all, so I haven't decided which I'll use most. But for now I'm using the "Warm Bosendorfer Imperial". It's very good. The Clavinova sound simply cannot compare. Not even close.

The laptop has an Intel Core2 T5300 processor, 1.73 GHz with 2 GB RAM, and an 80 GB 7200 RPM drive. It runs Windows XP.

It has a cheapo built-in sound card. I can't complain about the sound though. Between the superior samples and the corrected velocity curve, the improvement is tremendous. It's hard to imagine that it would get much better with a high-end sound card.

I use the ASIO4All interface. I have the ASIO buffer size set to 320. I left the Latency Compenstion "In" and "Out" at the default values of 32 each. The Latency Compenstion doesn't seem to have any effect, but the ASIO buffer setting does. If I go a little below 320, the sound cuts out here and there. Much below that it just makes gurgling sounds.

To minimize latency I've shutdown and disabled many Windows services (print spooler, media center stuff, indexing, Java quick start, Net Meeting). I've also defragmented the drive.

The latency is just slightly noticeable. I'd like to reduce it further, but I'm not sure how. Does anyone know?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1735050 - 08/17/11 12:26 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
Pianero Offline

maybe you need now a sound card that support asio drivers natively

but try to reduce more the buffer, i have a worst cpu than you, and i can low the buffer to 200 without experiencing big glitches for playing with a library like alicia keys piano or the galaxy pianos suite

#1735052 - 08/17/11 12:29 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
kippesc Offline

Loc: United States
You could do what I did and buy an iMac i7. Ivory II absolutely rocks on that machine. I'm still not able to get the Bosendorfer to be as expressive an instrument as the Steinway and the Fazioli. I plan to spend some time with the Bosie this weekend trying to get the sound close to the Bosendorfer on the Leif Ove Andsnes recording of selected Haydn sonatas from the late 1990s. My recollection is that that recording is gorgeous.

It's of course true that the costs start to climb when you decide to plug your keyboard into your computer, but it's truly remarkable to me what can be achieved with these machines now. Yet, when I talk to most pianists about my "gear," I generally just get a big yawn. They know, of course, that only an acoustic piano is a musical instrument.

#1735083 - 08/17/11 01:03 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: Pianero]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pianero
Try to reduce more the buffer, i have a worst cpu than you, and i can low the buffer to 200 without experiencing big glitches for playing with a library like alicia keys piano or the galaxy pianos suite.
Tried that. Crackles.

Quote:
Maybe you need now a sound card that support asio drivers natively
This is a laptop, so there are no board slots.
What should I buy and how do I use it?
How would such a card connect to the laptop?

#1735094 - 08/17/11 01:13 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
HwyStar Offline

Try a Prosonus audio interface: http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-2X2-USB-Recording-System-104841978-i1388074.gc#.

That worked for my laptop. Since it has headphones and main outs it fits the bill. It helped get my latency from 11.2ms to 5.2ms.

If it doesn't work - return it! It should help. The Synthogy tech said that the buffer is bigger in the Prosonus and that helps to get the latency down to realistic.

#1735273 - 08/17/11 05:25 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
reza Offline

Loc: Tehran, Iran
To maximize your laptop performance, you also need to stop any Power Management feature in your system. This will help you a lot. Regarding External Sound Cards, they are standalone devices that usually can connect to your laptop using a USB or FireWire port. If your laptop already have a FireWire port, chose a sound card that uses FireWire as I/O port, FireWire is faster than USB 2.0.

#1735274 - 08/17/11 05:27 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks, I'll have a look.

The PreSonus AudioBox costs $150, but it's available cheaper/used on ebay.

I was also looking at the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. This one is $200, but also available used, for less.

Does anyone have anything to say about the M-Audio Fast Track Pro?

#1735277 - 08/17/11 05:35 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
blueston Offline

Loc: MA, USA
The Audiobox is nice. I have one and it has exactly everything i want. However the only down side is sometimes I experience issues with the input levels, and I have read the same from other users. So depending on what the typical levels are that you plan to put into it you may never notice a problem or you may be annoyed all the time.

#1735281 - 08/17/11 05:39 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
reza Offline

Loc: Tehran, Iran
I own NI Audio Kontrol One and I am using it in similar setup. I am using Reason Pianos Instead of Ivory. The product now discontinued and replaced by Complete Audio 6 model. You may want to check them also.

#1735313 - 08/17/11 06:22 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Iowa, USA
Presonus audiobox usb. You'll surely get under 10 ms latency.

I've found firewire stuff to be weird on Windows sometimes.

Yes Ivory hooked to a $300 Casio and good monitors blows the sound of Yamaha's $15,000 digital offering out of the water... why Yamaha can't be bothered to buy Ilio/Synthogy and put an SSD with Ivory samples into their high-end digitals I don't know.

#1735702 - 08/18/11 09:35 AM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
romeogg Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I had very difficult time getting the ASIO4All driver work with my built-in Realtek audio chip on a windows 7 64 bit desktop. No matter what setting I chose, there was just no sound output. What I want was to play back a MID file with Ivory sound. Eventually I installed Cubase and it works with Ivory I. I am just curious if anybody get the ASIO4ALL work with Realtek chip. And what VST host program do you guys use?

#1735709 - 08/18/11 09:52 AM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
romeogg, make sure that no other audio programs are running before starting the application that uses ASIO4ALL. It may also be necessary to configure the VST host to use ASIO4ALL first, quit, then restart.

It's been a while since I dabbled with VSTs, however VSThost was a very nice lightweight host on my old XP laptop.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1736076 - 08/18/11 07:01 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: AlphaTerminus]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

AlphaTerminus: Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking at a Presonus on ebay.

And, yes ... Ivory is awfully good. I don't know how to compare it to the sound of "Yamaha's $15,000 digital offering" because I haven't tried one of those. But if Ivory's basic set of a bunch (how many I'm not sure) of pianos can fit into 40 GB of files, then surely Yamaha could squeeze just one of those pianos into a piano. But they don't. Sux.

#1736091 - 08/18/11 07:32 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
AlphaTerminus: Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking at a Presonus on ebay.

And, yes ... Ivory is awfully good. I don't know how to compare it to the sound of "Yamaha's $15,000 digital offering" because I haven't tried one of those. But if Ivory's basic set of a bunch (how many I'm not sure) of pianos can fit into 40 GB of files, then surely Yamaha could squeeze just one of those pianos into a piano. But they don't. Sux.

I have tried it. The N3 is is beautiful and has perfect action but the sound is "meh."

#1736140 - 08/18/11 08:35 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
macbug Offline

Loc: Vancouver
i use cantabile lite, it's free and fast

Edited by macbug (08/18/11 08:35 PM)

#1736557 - 08/19/11 01:17 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: romeogg]
Walt Brooks Offline

Loc: New England
Romeogg,

Well your question is timely -- last night, at the suggestion of the tech at Ivory, I downloaded the ASIO4All driver to run on my Windows 7 64 bit (laptop in my case) -- using a Realtek audio chip. This morning I had my first breakthrough getting my Ivory II up and running using the Cantabile software that came with Ivory. For the first time I got an audio signal of the Ivory samples to my headphones (connected to the notebook), by mousing over the keyboard in Cantabile. So it can be done. I'm hardly a technical expert, but am happy to provide any details you need that I might have. This weekend I hope to get my new AudiBoX USB running to play Ivory from my Yamaha CP 33. I been told I need to disable the RealTek chip (in the Device Manager) and that AudioBox will handle both in coming MIDI and outgoing audio data to my powered monitors or headphones. This is the bit I'm still struggling with (about an hour a night for a week now).

Good luck (to both of us),

Walt Brooks

#1736563 - 08/19/11 01:27 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't think you need to disable the realtek chip. In the cantable setup just select "presonus usb asio" for the audio driver.

(But I plug the CP33 usb directly into my computer, not using the Audiobox midi in connections)

Edited by AlphaTerminus (08/19/11 01:32 PM)

#1736625 - 08/19/11 03:20 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: AlphaTerminus]
Walt Brooks Offline

AlphaTerminus,

That's a revelation to me! So, you go MIDI - USB directly into the computer, not through the AudioBox, and I assume you use the AudioBox only for the higher quality audio outputs (to monitors or headphones), is that right? That might solve my problems.

BTW, I was planning to write a thank you note to you once I got all set-up (and would be able to report success). You may recall our correspondence on a different thread about a month ago on this subject. So thanks again.

Walt

#1736653 - 08/19/11 04:40 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: Walt Brooks]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Walt Brooks
AlphaTerminus,

That's a revelation to me! So, you go MIDI - USB directly into the computer, not through the AudioBox, and I assume you use the AudioBox only for the higher quality audio outputs (to monitors or headphones), is that right? That might solve my problems.

Yes, for the audio and low latency. You could do the midi through audiobox, I have just never tried it.

#1737467 - 08/21/11 02:31 AM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Any progress this weekend?

#1737520 - 08/21/11 06:45 AM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes, I just bought the Presonus box, used on ebay. I'll have it later this week.

As long as you ask ... here's a question: Unlike the M-Audio box, the Presonus has only TRS line-level outputs (no RCA jacks). Those are balanced connections, with a 3-ring tip/ring/sleeve jack. Tip and ring are the balanced connections, while sleeve is the ground.

I have some TRS-to-RCA adaptors, but they're unbalanced ... just tip and sleeve. Will they work?

Wikipedia says it should work:
Quote:
When a TRS is used to make a balanced connection, the two active conductors are both used for a monaural signal. The ring is used for the inverting input. A standard unbalanced signal lead using a mono jack plug (that's what I'll use) can simply be plugged into such an input. The ring (right channel) contact then makes contact with the plug body, correctly grounding the inverting input.

#1737580 - 08/21/11 10:34 AM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, if they are good quality. I had a pair that exhibited some buzzing, but a better pair work.

#1738359 - 08/22/11 01:30 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: AlphaTerminus]
Walt Brooks Offline

Originally Posted By: AlphaTerminus
Any progress this weekend?

Yes, success! Downloading the ASIO4All drivers was the fix that got me over the goal line. I got Ivory II running without any issues, driving it with my Yamaha CP 33, to a pair of Yamaha powered monitors (5") and a 10" sub woofer. As you predicted, the sound quality is vastly improved over the CP 33's internal sounds. I was expecting the improvement to be limited to the elimination of looping, but it goes well beyond that. The Ivory Steinway enables much more expressiveness over what I can achieve with the internal CP 33 sounds. I'm still experimenting with the options to customize the tone to my precise liking, but I am very happy.

#1738368 - 08/22/11 01:53 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
The laptop has an Intel Core2 T5300 processor, 1.73 GHz with 2 GB RAM, and an 80 GB 7200 RPM drive. It runs Windows XP.

It has a cheapo built-in sound card. I can't complain about the sound though. Between the superior samples and the corrected velocity curve, the improvement is tremendous. It's hard to imagine that it would get much better with a high-end sound card.

I use the ASIO4All interface. I have the ASIO buffer size set to 320. I left the Latency Compenstion "In" and "Out" at the default values of 32 each. The Latency Compenstion doesn't seem to have any effect, but the ASIO buffer setting does. If I go a little below 320, the sound cuts out here and there. Much below that it just makes gurgling sounds.

To minimize latency I've shutdown and disabled many Windows services (print spooler, media center stuff, indexing, Java quick start, Net Meeting). I've also defragmented the drive.

The latency is just slightly noticeable. I'd like to reduce it further, but I'm not sure how. Does anyone know?

A buffer of 320 is larger then I'd prefer to use. Latency would be just maybe noticeable if you have good ears. Your problem is then you are using Windows XP. The OS was not designed for this. (Technically the kernel scheduler is non-deterministic. It was designed to get the most total work done per unit of time, not for predictable real-time tasks, like playing music.) Even a very low-end mac can do 128 buffer size and still run web browsers and emails. Your lare buffer size is required to accommodate non-determinism in the OS.

But I know not everyone can afford a new $600 Mac and needs to use what they have. I think maybe there is more you can remove. Yes "remove" not simply turn off. Can you remove the network device drivers? I suspect XP might still be listening to the network (Ethernet and WiFi and if you have it Bluetooth) but not responding. Remove the drivers

You will get better sound from and external interface but if it is USB, maybe not. USB requires a large amount of CPU processing. Firewire has a very low overhead. If you system is on the edge I'd not recommend adding any USB devices.

#1738373 - 08/22/11 02:02 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Yes, I just bought the Presonus box, used on ebay. I'll have it later this week.

As long as you ask ... here's a question: Unlike the M-Audio box, the Presonus has only TRS line-level outputs (no RCA jacks). Those are balanced connections, with a 3-ring tip/ring/sleeve jack. Tip and ring are the balanced connections, while sleeve is the ground.

I have some TRS-to-RCA adaptors, but they're unbalanced ... just tip and sleeve. Will they work?

In theory they can work but it depends on how well they are made. I dislike adapters of any kind except for a temporary setup. It is best to buy the correct cable that is RCA on one end and 1/4" on the other. Cables like this are not expensive. prices range for $6 to $25 depending on brand.

#1738548 - 08/22/11 06:44 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: AlphaTerminus]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: AlphaTerminus
Yes Ivory hooked to a $300 Casio and good monitors blows the sound of Yamaha's $15,000 digital offering out of the water... why Yamaha can't be bothered to buy Ilio/Synthogy and put an SSD with Ivory samples into their high-end digitals I don't know.

I fully expected Yamaha - probably the biggest marketer of high-end DPs - to have something like by now, at least in the AG. What gives? They don't even need an SSD for a single 8GB piano sample.

#1739569 - 08/24/11 10:10 AM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: dewster]
Hervé Offline

I agree with many things said here. I've bought a Yamaha CLP 170 in 2004 and this year I've plugged my computer with Synthogy Ivory (1.5). The piano sound is amazing (I realy like the italian).

I wanted to buy another Yamaha, but the new CLP 400 line seems to bring too few improvements.

I've played the new Yamaha N1, but the piano sound deceived me. I prefer keep my old CLP - buying N1 only for key action seems stupid - and continue with Ivory ; I only play at home with headphones.

So for the moment I'm no longer a customer for Yamaha, and in fact neither for any other DP brands. Wait and see...

#1739798 - 08/24/11 03:58 PM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: Hervé]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hervé: I'm with you on that. I posted elsewhere that it doesn't seem worthwhile to buy a high-end piano.

I've not tried the AG so I wouldn't rule it out. But anything else from Y, R, or C just doesn't make sense. All I need is a console with a suitable appearance and key action ... plus Ivory. Shuck the lame piano sounds and crappy speakers in the consoles.

(For those who prefer a slab to a console it would be even cheaper.)

#1741341 - 08/27/11 02:42 AM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I got the Presonus box today.

Installed the drivers and hooked up the box. It has L/R 1/4" balanced jacks. The 1/4"-to-RCA adapters worked fine.

Fiddled with Windows to tell it to use Presonus audio instead of the internal sound card.

Fiddled with the VST host to tell it to stay with the Clavinova MIDI input rather than the Presonus MIDI input (because I use MIDI-over-USB from the piano, plugged straight into the laptop). And I set it to use the Presonus ASIO driver rather than ASIO4All.

Voila. It works.

So ... what about latency? I feed both the native Clavinova line outs and the Presonus line outs to a mixer. Normally I'd turn up one and turn down the other. But with both turned on I can hear both sound sources, and I can hear the delay between the Clav sound and the laptop/Presonus-processed sound.

Well, there's still a bit of delay. It's a bit less than when I was using the laptop's internal sound card ... but it's still there. I'm not sure it was worth the spend, but it works.

#1741439 - 08/27/11 09:59 AM Re: Synthogy Ivory [Re: MacMacMac]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

You can go into ivory's setup area and mess with the setting, buffers, etc. Rarely is it possible to get the natiive dp and Ivory to mix well or react simultaneously without sounding weird.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
120 registered (Atrys, accordeur, antony, AZNpiano, Arizona Sage, 32 invisible), 1361 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153514 Topics
2249603 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
04/17/14 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
04/16/14 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
04/16/14 11:52 PM
Cristina Perri - HUMAN piano cover
by SAO
04/16/14 11:12 PM
Valentina Lisitsa plays Michael Nyman!!
by ShiroKuro
04/16/14 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission